Still loving the 1/60's after the 1/48's?

DatterBoy

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some opinions out ther ein regard to what the owner is feeling once they got a hold of their first 48. Now, I have all the 60 valks except the super O and the elint, but hope to at some point after the prices come down. Never was able to get a 48, but would like to someday and just won a 60 1A (used) for $23 to make a max TV custom.

Anyhow, I will get a 1A, probably the rick, and due to cost will probably only get that one and no others with aa fast pack set.

I love my 1/60s, I have been in awe of them since I got them. Don't like the leg thing and find it liveable but difficult in gerwalk, but otherwise, in battroid, once transformed, they don't bother me in the bit. Despite QC issues that vary from valk to valk on the 60, they are amazing pieces of work.

My question is this... Can the 48 really make you hate your 60's? I can't imagine. I've seen som many threads and posts about folks hating on their 60s once they get a 48 and doubtless about the beauty of a 48, I just can't see how it can make you hate your 60's and start dumping them. Are there folks out there who still love their 60's despite having a 48? Where are you?

I seriously hope I still love my 60's once I get the 48, and wish there were more folks out there who did. Remember, they were the set that rescued all you fans from the chunky monkeys and the MPC's. If nothing else, they have historical claim and are very valuable.

:Dat

Loving my Low-Viz (and planning on either Hikaru VF-1S or Max 1A if I can get a good deal on the latter), but 1/60 is still my "main" line. Not only are the 1/60 more affordable, but they're also more portable. Having neglected my Hikaru Super VF-1J since I got the YF-21FP (and more recently the Low-Viz), I was recently playing around with it and noticed how cool it was too. And its alot smaller, fits in your hands, and all that.

Course, it also sparked my thread on why not improve the 1/60 line with 1/48 type improvements (air brake, flaps, etc). They're not as refined as the 1/48, but thats kinda the point. Yamato has to give us more when we pay more (alot more in the case of 1/48). I want a SQUADRON of nicely sculpted valks small enough to not gobble up my shelf space (and destroy my bank account :lol: ) and the 1/60 are perfect for that job IMO. PLUS, they have a large variety of relatively low cost toys and will have enemy mecha in scale.

I hear ya UXI, and I believe that a 1/60 could be either modded to have a swing bar like the 1/48 with diecast support for durability and if everythign else stayed the same, the 60 would be the perfect valk in terms of price, sculpt, and size. The 48's are huge and expensive. But I'd like to have just 1... But I don't think there is any way it could make my dislike or look poorly upon my 60's.

:Dat

What's up... I LOVED my 1/60's and then I got a 1/48 and I was blown away. It was the perfect toy! I couldn't even comprehend the beauty of the 1/48. But as time went on, I got used to the 1/48. I noticed it's flaws. I nitpicked. and unfortunately, by comparison, my 1/60 started resembling crap to me. but one day I sat and stared at one of my 1/60's. I admired it's good points. I remembered what it was I liked so much about. I fell in love with it all over again. Then I looked at one of my 1/48's and I was like,"HOLY CRAP!!!!! THAT THING IS AMAZING!!!!!" and all my yammies were things of wonder to me again. I still buy 1/60's after owning 3 1/48's. I am annoyed by people who talk badly of 1/60 and 1/72 yammies (and even chunkey monkeys) saying that they've "been spoiled" by the 1/48. Owning a 1/48 wont do any permanent damage to you view of 1/60. But, 1/48's really are as cool as the most shining reviews make them out to be. I recommened you BEG yamato to take your money and in return give you a 1/48. Owning one is the coolest thing a valk fan can do, seriously.... I mean it.... it rules..... go get one..... :)

While the 1/48 totally "pwnz" the 1/60, I still agree that the 1/60 size is a better size for larger production. But it'd need a serious remodel.

I especially take issue with the diecast legs. While nice and heavy, after almost a year, my Max 1A has lost paint, been bent, become discolored, and lost all joint friction in the diecast legs. I think plastic legs would be a better idea.

For me, the 1/60 looks great as a static toy.

But once you start transforming it here and there, thing just flop here and flop there.

The durability and transforming sequence (having to remove and changes part seperately everytime) dosen't work for me.

Love the 1/78 and 1/48 valks. :D

Just me opinion :p:p:p

While I love my lone 1/48 (VF-1S), I still think the 1/60 is still the overall better toy.

It's got more weight (more diecast will do that), giving it a much more sturdy feel, and I felt the proportions were overall better.

That's not to say the 1/48 isn't a good toy. It's probably one of the best ones out there, but to me it just seems a little more fragile.... or maybe it's because I paid so much more for it then the 1/60 line that makes me think that way :p.

Personally i dont own a single 1/48 but have handled it before. The sculpt and detail are great on the 1/48 but the weight just doesent justify its size. I know if yamato was to make it heavier with more diecast contents then more problems will arise. i still prefer my 1/60s, GOTO collect them all.

PS: Toons have been egging me for eons to get a 1/48 but sorry to disappoint u, i will remain a pure 1/60 collector haha. Actually like or dislike or whatsoever is up to one's personal preference really. :p

I feel disgusted whenever people start to criticize the 1/60 line because of their newly acquired 1/48 toys , we always knew Yamato was going to offer an improved design of the VF-1 (toy-wise) when the 1/48s were announced but from my perspective that´s no reason to see the 1/60s as crap. My Hikaru Super 1J is still in perfect condition except for the lock mechanism on one of the legs which I unfortunately scractched the paint off.

I recognise the 1/48 is the better toy in terms of detail and engineering but I fell people are being exploited with the sale price of these things, they may be the best toy rendition of the VF-1 but that isn´t enough for me to buy one immediately.

I consider the 1/48 as an evolution of the Yammie valk toy and an improvement (scale & quality) over the 1/60. I still love my 1/60s and they share space on my display shelves in harmony with the 1/48s :D

I love my 1/60s. Even after getting my 1/48. They are great display pieces, and they are a perfect size to where they dont take up much space. Plus, the 1/60 has a better looking Gerwalk and Battroid mode than the 1/48. IMO.

Many people here on these boards have sold (abandoned) their 1/60s, and 1/55s for that matter, to purchase the 1/48; I do not believe the 1/48 justifies the selling of my collection. I mean, why would I sell three or four of my 1/60s just to get ONE 1/48? Some people would, but I wouldn't.

I will pick up more 1/48s, but I have to save up money. Luckily, the only other 1/60 I want is the Super O. After that, I can concentrate on saving up to purchase the current 1/48s.

I´m not surprised people have lost their love towards the 1/60s as the 1/48s became popular but i´m impressed by the urge to buy that people seem to experience when they see another 1/48, worse yet , not only are they buying the same valkyrie again at a higher price than what their older 1/48s are selling at but they buy several toys...not that I´m against that but I´m surprise people don´t get bored with the same thing after all this time.

The low vis was pretty special (I may buy one when the the purchase is justifiable ), at least it had a different pilot and entirely new colour scheme but the Skull Squadron valks are pretty monotonous , which is why I tend not to buy the same toy twice in the same scale.

sorry for that , anyway , I think the 1/60s are still pretty good and should remain active at least until all the SDF Macross mechas are produced as toys .

Purchasing the 1/48th has not affected my like of the 1/60ths in the least. While the 1/48ths are the better valks, they don't all of a sudden make the 1/60ths worse. Given how cheaply I have been able to pick up most of the 1/60ths, they are a better value in my opinion. I will still collect boith scales though.

While the 1/48 is an engineering marvel, the 1/60 still has four advantages over it. Better proportions in all three modes, the 1/48 made the battroid arms skinny and gangly in order to accentuate fighter mode. Also, the 1/60 has better posability when it comes to the legs. The 1/48 cannot compete with the 1/60's "A stance." Third, the backpack mechanism on the 1/60 isn't as problematic as the 1/48's. Finally, the 1/60 doesn't suffer from the shrunken hands syndrome that the 1/48 does (note: the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J seems to remedy this issue, but we won't know for sure until it hits the shelves). On everything else, the 1/48 is superior IMO.

.  Also, the 1/60 has better posability when it comes to the legs.  The 1/48 cannot compete with the 1/60's "A stance." 

I really disagree with that. 1/48 legs are alot more posable than the 1/60. Plus the 1/60 legs rotate in the wrong spot. The "A" stance of the 1/48 blows away the 1/60. Also the legs don't fall off.

The rest of your points I mostly agree with. There are few proportion issues in the 1/48 Battroid mode I don't like. Plus the gaps along the side look really bad. Those side panels don't help much. The back hinge should have been made stronger or copied from the 1/60. The VF-1S doesn't suffer the small head problem like its 1/60 counter part. The VF-1A? Maybe a little. But its not a full face like the VF-1S or VF-1J.

I like the way the 1/60s look but its the lack of stability and balance in Gerwalk and Battroid (due to the diecast legs and its transformation) I don't like about it . Yamato should have made a way for the legs to reattach more firmly.

Edited by dejr8bud

Well as for me, i bought two FP VF-11Bs from Kevin, at www.valkyrie-exchange.com when they were released. And as 1/48 collection grew...i kinda regret buying those two VF-11B´s. I mean i love it, but i should have bought two (on for MINT) Since the Bulky Lee came out, and the upcomming 1/48 VF-1J....the 1/72 Thunderbolt, is Fugly compaired to the rest of my 1/48s.

As for me, i dont mind using alot of money on the 1/48s cause they truly are a work of art. I dont mind the fragile aspect of them, cause they really are....so real looking :)

So i decided to open up my FP VF-11B and decided to use teh sticker sheet to cumtom decal my Bulky Lee, and ive decided to give my new opened VF-11 to my cousin.

-Jin

ya, i'm not a big 1/48 fan...sure they are nice, but for that size and that price, I would expect them to be perfect...In other words, no ungodly head seams, no scrawny arms, no uber-thick nose, no petite hands. I've also learned that bigger isn't always better (DX transforming gundam vs. Metal Material Strike Gundams), and prefer something a little smaller, and heavier. Diecast is my friend!

I also like to get 2 of every transforming toy, so that I can display them in both modes, so the 1/48 just isn't worth the price. I can get at least 2 1/60s for the price of 1 1/48, and with some of the older toys, I can get 3 or 4 for the same price. I recently picked up 2 Cannon fodder 1/60s and a super 1j 1/60 for less than 1 1/48.

In an unrelated note, I also picked up a brand new Bandai 1/55 Miria for only $70 plus shipping...woot!

:D

1/60 I only have the Super J and Strike S from previous purchases.

1/60 just bought the VE and VT. I guess that is all I am getting from the 1/60 line unless they come with a J GBP. I am just hooked to the fast pack things.

1/48 I got the VF-1A hikaru, S Fokker, and VF-1A Max. I will get the S Hikaru and J Hikary sometime later this year.

I love them both....I am lucky that I can afford them I think.

Paulo

I originally was planning to keep the 1/60 line my "main" line of Macross toys, given the variation that were available, and the fact that there are plans for 1/60 Q-rau and Monster. My plan was to get just one 1/48 VF-1 as a one piece wonder to round out the collection. My other one piece wonder is the Bandai Super VF-1S, cause any collection ain't complete until you've got a chunkey monkey to remind myself of the toy I never had when I was a kid/teenager.

However, I now am a proud owner of 3 1/48 VF-1's. Now I don't plan to get anymore (hopefully), because I am seriously running out of room. The toy is stable in all three modes, leading to great playability. The 1/60 toys were basically posable statues. They were rock solid in fighter mode, but gerwalk and battroid modes are flimsy (legs). Any attempt to "play" with them led to the legs changing positions. I have to take great care in transporting 1/60 valks in gerwalk or battroid mode, in fear of the legs changing positions or falling off. Now, I admit I never really wanted to play with my 1/60's. I would transform/pose them and then display them. But I find myself playing (transforming and doing different poses) with the 1/48 more and more. They are much better in retaining poses even after multiple pick-ups.

Even though the 1/60 is a more manageable size for display and play, the detail and mechanisms on the 1/48 are wonderful.

Bottom line: I have lost some love for the 1/60 valks, but not all......

I LOVE the 1/60s.... The only issue I have with them is that the leg joints seem to get loose over a pretty short period of time. I really hope they complete the 1/60 line with Destroids and ENEMY Mechs! PLEASE Yamato!

The 1/48s are just plain beautiful too. I will collect all of them, but I kinda hope they keep the 1/48 line to a limited amount of variants because of the cost, and the size. If they do M+ Valks in 1/48 though..... Oh man that would be cool.

After starting with various other Valks, including a 1/48 VF-1A, I finally got a 1/60 Hikaru Super 1J. (Thanks, Eric.) And I like it a lot. At first I had trouble with the legs falling off and the backpack refusing to stay up, but then I realized what I was doing wrong and now it's quite stable in battroid and gerwalk modes. I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to getting whatever 1/60 destroids and Zentradi mecha Yamato release (other than the Monster, which is just too big and expensive).

I only have a few nitpicks with the 1/60 design. In decreasing order of importance:

1. The landing gear have trouble holding up the weight of the plane, especially with all the Super armor. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

2. Related to this, I really don't need all the diecast. I think the toy might be more stable, not to mention less expensive, if the legs were made of ABS with just enough metal parts (or ballast) to anchor it in battroid and gerwalk. Also, paint is more likely to chip on diecast.

3. The Gerwalk antenna doesn't fit when the FAST pack boosters are attached. (Or is this correct based on the animation/lineart?)

4. Due to the design of the legs, they can't be swivelled when the FAST packs are attached, so the Gerwalk A-stance isn't quite as good as without FP's. The Super battroid is also less posable for the same reason. This can't be a problem with the 1/48's due to their more correct leg design.

5. It would be nice if the hands were retractable like the 1/55 Bandais or articulated like the 1/48 Yamatos, but since the 1/60 hands look nice (in spite of a missing digit here or there), I don't particularly mind.

And I have one non-nitpick: I don't care at all that the legs have to be removed.

Edit: Actually, I just realized that the hands do retract, as long as you don't use the optional second pair of hands.

Edit 2: Found another thing to complain about: the lack of motion in the shoulder joints (without unhinging the chestplate, at which point everything starts to come apart.)

Edit 3: But there's a partial fix here. (Is this by our drifand?)

Edited by ewilen

Look, I am talking bad about the 1/60s. They are not bad at all. It is that I dont need all these valks. :rolleyes: Space is a premium. And I like the bigger 1/48s due to details. I mean, I love my 1/60 TRU cannon fodder. It is that right now I am thinking conservatively on money. Sure if money is no object, hell I would buy them. But I am saving for a house. (I dunno how, when I am buying transformers (reissues), old GI Joes, MPC Alphas, Destroids, etc, and now this new Athlon computer I am building :blink: ). Right now it isnt practical. The 1/60s gets dropped and 1/48s get priority. In some ways, I think the MPCs sucked compared to the 1/60s, but I bought them. I stopped buying the 1/60 and now I am going to sell/trade some of them off except the Cannon fodder one. :D

I'm still waiting for my first 1/48 to arrive, but i'm sure i'm gonna love it more that my 1/60s :D

In the past, I planned to just collect 1/60s. It was due to the consideration of space and price. However, I was let down with the 1/60s various QC issues. So, as for now I have stop buying 1/60s and go for 1/48s

Eventhough I probably can only afford to buy two or three 1/48s (four if the elint is being realesd in 1/48 :D ), but realising that what I own are the best damn Valkryies available, it make my heart happy but not my wallet :p

It will be the same feeling when I sell all my gundam MGs and buy only Perfect Grade gundams, I feel I've done the right think :lol:

I still love my 1/60 Yamato's even since I got 4 1/48's now. I still like the 1/60 better. With some modifications they are very nice. They only reason I got the 1/48's was because of the fastpacks. They are quite pricey. I just love valks with fastpacks. I even have 6 MPC with fastpacks. The 2 Roy 1/48's I got have a weak right wings with the missile packs on them. In all I just happy I can get some decent valks at a good price and not be paying $300 or more on EBAY. They 1/60's will still by my main valk of choice because of cost and size. If Yamato makes 1/60 fastpack kits for the older valks I would be even happier.

I love all of my 1/60´s (desperately waitng till my VE and VT arrive). Like others said I like the proportions of the 1/60´s better:

1. Better canopy and slightly better nosecone (the 1/48 canopy is too bulbous and kinda kills the front view of the fighter)

2. Correct proportions of the arms (the 1/48 upper arms are long and thin)

3. Right size of the tail fins (on the 1/48 the tail fins are on the small side, shorter)

4. All in all the 1/60 has better proportions for it´s three modes.

5. I like the VF 1A and VF 1J heads more than the 1/48. On the other side I must say that the VF 1S head of the 1/48 puts the 1/60 head to shame, and the seamline doesn´t bother me at all.

6. It´s gonna be the most complete line (waiting for the Q-Rau and Monster)

Making the 1/48 justice:

1. It´s a better put togheter/finished toy, barely noticeable seamlines, smooth sculpt with lot of detail (air brake, removable engine covers, highly detailed landing gears and landing doors)

2. Perfect transformation (nothing has to be removed, not even the heatshield).

3. Better connecting hardpoints for the weapons.

4. The Fast Packs are incredible, no words to decribe them (all the detail and features put into them), they´re also the right size (the 1/60´s are on the small side).

Proportion wise I like how the 1/60 looks against the 1/48. In fighter mode with the "fast packs attached" the 1/48 looks better than the 1/60 (however the 1/60 like I said has better nosecone and canpy).

Owing the two scales is a win-win situation IMHO.