DC manga comics

So they're translating books? As long as they're not releasing their own. It'd be interesting to see how they're going to release them. I know Dark Horse is being forced to print them to read right to left and at a smaller size, to be marketted along side Tokyo Pop's book.

didn't Marvel try making a manga version of some of there existing titles years ago?

Yes, they did but DC isn't doing manga versions of their characters. They're all original series. I think only three were anounced at a bookexpo.

Well that's good...They're sort of doing the same thing Dark Horse has been doing for like a decade now :p

Uhm, the top manga picture is from a shojo series called "Gals!"

ADV is releasing the anime, but it doesn't matter since ADV sucks anyway. :p

Don't buy it, unless you like retarded kogals who are so frigging annoying that you want to murder them. The author writes about retarded things, writes like an animal, and forces her mom to be her assistant.

In every book, she writes a detailed list of kogal stuff she's bought for herself, since the previous book.

My poor fiancée has to translate this crap for the French release.

Behold the less glamorous sides of manga. <_<

Look at that series with your own discretion, but prepare to feel utter contempt and disgust for this series. :ph34r:

DC's going to have problems getting good property for a while. It's tough competition, even DH is having a hard time getting licences. But if they got the dough and are serious about it, then it's good for the whole commumity. I'm surprised they didn't just buy Tokyo-Pop or Viz.

DC's going to have problems getting good property for a while. It's tough competition, even DH is having a hard time getting licences. But if they got the dough and are serious about it, then it's good for the whole commumity. I'm surprised they didn't just buy Tokyo-Pop or Viz.

actually...i am too...i mean they have aol-time warner backing them up...they're pretty much one of the richest comic book companies out there

DC's going to have problems getting good property for a while. It's tough competition, even DH is having a hard time getting licences.  But if they got the dough and are serious about it, then it's good for the whole commumity.  I'm surprised they didn't just buy Tokyo-Pop or Viz.

actually...i am too...i mean they have aol-time warner backing them up...they're pretty much one of the richest comic book companies out there

They might do well with that as their backer.

I wish DC, Marvel, and all the rest would learn a thing or two from the Japanese comic book industry. The way manga are published and distributed, the way the stories are written, all that. Comic books used to be incredibly popular in America before 10 variant, foil stamped covers, having to follow a dozen different comics just to follow a single storyline, endlessly recycled stories and characters, constantly killing them off and bringing them back over and over again.

Comic books used to be incredibly popular in America before 10 variant, foil stamped covers, having to follow a dozen different comics just to follow a single storyline, endlessly recycled stories and characters, constantly killing them off and bringing them back over and over again.

Man, that's on e reason I never (need to) buy US comics

If I read 1 every 10 years It's the same friggin' story!"

That's why creator's rights were so imprortant bck when Image broke away from marvel. Japanese books are mostly owned by their creators and its vision is fulfilled at the end of it's run. But what a hoax that whole Image thing turned out to be. They were just out to create their own monsters.

Before anyone goes there... I know "Image" was never part of Marvel... I meant the creators that formed Image....

Edited by >EXO<

Exactly, creators rights are very important to the integrity of any comic book, animated show, live action show, or movies. To this day, the American entertainment industry is choking the life out of itself by taking away creator rights. Another hundred years or so and America will be importing all it's entertainment, instead of exporting it. This is already the case with animation, and is getting bigger and bigger with comic books. Foreign movies are starting to look more promising than Hollywood fare was well.

US has to learn how JP manga's distributed? Like every 2-3 months? That's pretty freakin horrible. Especially in today's ADD generation. If you want to sell 'em, JP should learn from America.

Nightbat® Posted on Jun 8 2004, 04:34 PM

Uhm, no. That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. I'm sure many people who collect both can say the say the same about manga considering the # of US comics to manga released worldwide every month.

Don't get me wrong, I love manga, but you have to look at both sides.

Also, I'm pretty bitter X (/1999) isn't even finished yet in Japan..... ;)

That's why creator's rights were so imprortant bck when Image broke away from marvel. Japanese books are mostly owned by their creators and its vision is fulfilled at the end of it's run. But what a hoax that whole Image thing turned out to be. They were just out to create their own monsters.

Before anyone goes there... I know "Image" was never part of Marvel... I meant the creators that formed Image....

Image did indeed become their own worst enemy. Jim Lee's Wildstorm went over to DC, Rob Liefeld stopped and started Youngblood 500 times it seems. Only Erik Larsen stayed true and still does work on Savage Dragon.

On the other hand, they put out some great books these days. Invincible, the Walking Dead, and Powers are all awesome books. unfortunately, Bendis moved Powers to Marvel <_<

oh well. hope they don't screw it up too bad. :D

unfortunately, Bendis moved Powers to Marvel <_<

oh well. hope they don't screw it up too bad. :D

Given that Bendis writes a large section of Marvel output (or feels like it) including some top selling titles, and taking his indie stuff onboard was the best way to convince him to go exclusive with them, I doubt Marvel will do anything to annoy him...

...well...assuming Marvel don't expect Powers to sport Ultimate Spider-man numbers :)

Cyc

US has to learn how JP manga's distributed? Like every 2-3 months? That's pretty freakin horrible. Especially in today's ADD generation. If you want to sell 'em, JP should learn from America.
Nightbat® Posted on Jun 8 2004, 04:34 PM

Uhm, no. That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. I'm sure many people who collect both can say the say the same about manga considering the # of US comics to manga released worldwide every month.

Don't get me wrong, I love manga, but you have to look at both sides.

Also, I'm pretty bitter X (/1999) isn't even finished yet in Japan..... ;)

Wich comic book industry is thriving, and wich is on life support?

Let me clarify here. In Japan, books like Shonen Jump are relatively inexpensive, cheaply printed in black and white, and contain a dozen or so stories.

In America, comic books can get pretty expensive for a 20 page story, they're printed on expensive paper, have expensive foil embossed titles. multiple covers for the collectors, early issues rarely see reprint and so wind up inflating in price in the unchecked collector's market, characters are recycled and reused endlessly, though even the most serious plot events are meaningless, since down the road it will all be undone. Titles are handled by multiple authors and artists, so there is little to no continuity.

The best stories and most memorable characters have a beginning and an end, DC, Marvel, and the rest almost always refuse to put their creations to rest when their stories are finished. And no, it is not ignorant to say that stories and characters wind up recycled endlessly in American comics. How many times has the Marvel universe had to go chasing after some mystical knicknack to reset the universe? How many times has Optimus Prime died, and come back (the comics were far worse about this than the tv series), how many times do we see revisions of characters origin stories? I'm speaking of someone who used to follow comics, and got sick of them because of this crap.

Now, I'm not saying the Japanese industry is perfect here, I've got plenty of complaints about them but I think their general handling of the comic/manga market makes a lot more sense than our own. Especially Japanese law concerning author's rights.

unfortunately, Bendis moved Powers to Marvel <_<

oh well. hope they don't screw it up too bad.  :D

Given that Bendis writes a large section of Marvel output (or feels like it) including some top selling titles, and taking his indie stuff onboard was the best way to convince him to go exclusive with them, I doubt Marvel will do anything to annoy him...

...well...assuming Marvel don't expect Powers to sport Ultimate Spider-man numbers :)

Cyc

well, considering the practically cut the balls off of Alias by turning it into the Pulse , i don't know. so far The Pulse has yet to impress the way Alias/Powers/DD/Ultimate Spidey have. but i suppose you're right.

but the sad thing is, Powers and Alias should have (had) bigger numbers than the Drek that Claremont, Austen, and most other writers out there are putting out.

Let me clarify here. In Japan, books like Shonen Jump are relatively inexpensive, cheaply printed in black and white, and contain a dozen or so stories.

In America, comic books can get pretty expensive for a 20 page story, they're printed on expensive paper, have expensive foil embossed titles. multiple covers for the collectors, early issues rarely see reprint and so wind up inflating in price in the unchecked collector's market, characters are recycled and reused endlessly, though even the most serious plot events are meaningless, since down the road it will all be undone. Titles are handled by multiple authors and artists, so there is little to no continuity.

The best stories and most memorable characters have a beginning and an end, DC, Marvel, and the rest almost always refuse to put their creations to rest when their stories are finished. And no, it is not ignorant to say that stories and characters wind up recycled endlessly in American comics. How many times has the Marvel universe had to go chasing after some mystical knicknack to reset the universe? How many times has Optimus Prime died, and come back (the comics were far worse about this than the tv series), how many times do we see revisions of characters origin stories? I'm speaking of someone who used to follow comics, and got sick of them because of this crap.

Now, I'm not saying the Japanese industry is perfect here, I've got plenty of complaints about them but I think their general handling of the comic/manga market makes a lot more sense than our own. Especially Japanese law concerning author's rights.

really, some of the symptoms you are describing were the worst of what the 90's had to offer. most of the publishers had gotten away from the foil, embossed covers until recently, when Marvel came back and started it up again with the Secret War series. now, i do Agree that 2.95 is too expensive for some books, like say, any of the Marvel Knights books, i do think there are plenty of other books out there that are great for 2.25 (the Ultimate line, for instance). the biggest difference is that the American Comic Book industry is struggling to "Go Mainstream". you can get Manga at any bookstore now, and a really huge selection at that. with comics (the monthly's) you can only get in Specialty stores, which also suffers from the "Simpson's comic book guy" sterotype, but it is sadly true in most cases.

As far as letting charcters go, sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. but, some said after the 90's, the X-Men were dead. Grant Morrison proved otherwise. they Cancelled DD. Bendis made it great again. The Ultimate books (done by Marvel to get rid of 40+ years of continuity)are all pretty good. Batman, Superman and the rest of DC still gets some great stories out of their books. the industry isn't too bad now, but it could stand to get better.

Exactly, Isamu Atreides 86.

To say that the US comic market is on life support is RETARDED. Go back and check your numbers.

Just because US comics figures are a lot worse than they were in the early 90s, doesn't mean they are going away anytime soon.

Again "they're printed on Foiled Embossed" is a stupid thing to say. Very few if any title are like this these days. Stop living in the 90s Marvel. Not all comics do this.

Stories and characters are recycled for a new audience. So what, these aren't the only comics out there that's why that statement is ignorant.

What is retarded is any claims that the current US comic market is anywhere near as successful as it was back in it's heyday, when comic stores thrived, comics could be found in bookstores, convinience stores, grocery stores, and everywhere else, when lesser titles then still sold more than major titles do now.

I suppose next someone is going to tell me that America has a thriving and prosperous animation industry as well?

Wich comic book industry is thriving, and wich is on life support?

The above was retarded. "Life support" means it's dying which it is not. Again, do more research before you reply. Just because an industry is not at their peak from a decade ago, doesn't mean they're dying. Marvel and DC are far away from bankruptcy.

That and "wich" is spelled wrong.

Radd Posted on Jun 8 2004, 08:38 PM

I suppose next someone is going to tell me that America has a thriving and prosperous animation industry as well? 

Not from me....

I wonder where you live where Comic shops are still in abundance? Everywhere I look, comic shops across the country are folding. Marvel is digging heavily into the movie industry, and has stated themselves that comics aren't going to be their focus in the future. DC has gotten smarter, with their Virtigo label, letting the creators retain the rights to their characters and whatnot (too bad this move was too late for Sandman).

True, the comic book industry isn't as bad off as it was 10 years ago, but it's not a very promising industry at the moment. My comment was an exaggeration.

Saying that those endlessly recycled stories are for a new audience is a cop out, the fact remains that the majority comics are the same recycled characters and stories instead of even trying to bring us new, fresh characters and stories. There are exceptions of course, I've stated that repeatedly.

Now what you people are telling me is that the American comic industry is doing just fine, and that it is in fact doing better than the industry is in Japan. In Japan, where comics are sold everywhere, in large anthologies. Flying right in the face of the fact that over here comic book stores are still closing right and left, and it's getting harder and harder to find comics outside of comic book stores, aside from subscribing to them or ordering from a Diamond catalogue.

Maybe, just maybe, you guys happen to live in an area where this isn't happening, but I've bounced from western Ney York, to Pittsburgh, to Wisconsin and see the same thing everywhere.

If someone thinks that all comics are derivative and are basically the same stories from 30 years ago, then seriously, you have missed some of the best storytelling in years with recent comics. Examples:

1. Preacher.

2. Powers

3. Queen and Country (Greg Rucka's Oni Spy book)

4. Fables

5. Morrison on New X-Men

6. Bendis on almost everything. Alias and the above mentioned Powers are great.

7. 30 Days of Night, Dark Days and Return to Barrow

8. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman.

9. The Outsiders by Judd Winnick

10. The Losers by Andy Diggle and Jock

If all you read are superhero books, then yeah, sure some stories are recycled. but just like Manga/Anine, there are more things out there that have nothing to do with that old Genre. out of the 10+ above listed books, only one is a Superhero book ( Outsiders, but damn its great, IMO). hell some of these books even get main stream props (like the Losers from EW). the presumption that comics are only Super Heroes is foolish, and it hurts the industry. i think the big 2 need to start marketing the hell out of their books like Tokyopop does.

the success of comics in america is not a days gone bye type thing. they can do it again. while its not a thriving industry like say, Collectible Card Games, the big 2 are making more ongoings and cancelling fewer books, allowing good, but small selling books like Fables and The Losers a chance, which is something the 90's industry would not have allowed. good? Bad? time will tell i guess. but i think in 20+ years, kids will still be able to get good, quality comics in this country from the Big 2.

Flying right in the face of the fact that over here comic book stores are still closing right and left, and it's getting harder and harder to find comics outside of comic book stores, aside from subscribing to them or ordering from a Diamond catalogue.

Maybe, just maybe, you guys happen to live in an area where this isn't happening, but I've bounced from western Ney York, to Pittsburgh, to Wisconsin and see the same thing everywhere.

I live in San Antonio, TX, and there are at least 10 if not more local comics stores. they have expanded recently, into bigger buildings. maybe the SA environment is different and the Market is better here, but considering SA is a kinda secondary market ( Not NY, LA, Chi-town) i think its doing pretty good. i live down town and i have 5 in 10 min driving distance.

There are exceptions of course, I've stated that repeatedly.

I agree, there are some quality titles out there, but the titles that are as close to comics get as 'Mainstream' seem to be the endlessly recycled stories that never develope beyond anything given to us before.

I'm a huge Moore fan myself, and I do like me that there Transmet. Sandman is another great title, a pity about the movie.

I'm not just critisizing the selection that's being produced right now, but the idea that the comics industry is doing just fine economically. I go out looking for comics, and I see my favourite shops closing until there's few left, and those susually run by someone who works another job to actually pay their bills and just does the comics gig as a hobby. I see comic sales losing numbers, not gaining them. I see the major industry players switching their primary focus from comics to merchandising.

I live in San Antonio, TX, and there are at least 10 if not more local comics stores. they have expanded recently, into bigger buildings. maybe the SA environment is different and the Market is better here, but considering SA is a kinda secondary market ( Not NY, LA, Chi-town) i think its doing pretty good. i live down town and i have 5 in 10 min driving distance.

This is the sort of response that gives weight to an argument. I'm very glad to hear it, too. I'd love to see the industry make a rebound.

well, considering the practically cut the balls off of Alias by turning it into the Pulse , i don't know. so far The Pulse has yet to impress the way Alias/Powers/DD/Ultimate Spidey have. but i suppose you're right.

but the sad thing is, Powers and Alias should have (had) bigger numbers than the Drek that Claremont, Austen, and most other writers out there are putting out.

You don't buy that Bendis felt the title was done, that once the big secret was out, part of the mystery was gone?

Cyc (who still wants to know about Jessica as Knightress...)

now, i do Agree that 2.95 is too expensive for some books, like say, any of the Marvel Knights books, i do think there are plenty of other books out there that are great for 2.25 (the Ultimate line, for instance).

i'm not too sure how big a fan of alex ross everyone is, but you should take a look in his Mythology book and see what he says about the big 2(marvel and dc) and their inflated prices. is Spawn still one the cheapest books out? it's been awhile since i've actually bought a monthly book. i prefer to go with trades nowadays.