DC manga comics

well, considering the practically cut the balls off of Alias by turning it into the Pulse , i don't know. so far The Pulse has yet to impress the way Alias/Powers/DD/Ultimate Spidey have. but i suppose you're right.

but the sad thing is, Powers and Alias should have (had) bigger numbers than the Drek that Claremont, Austen, and most other writers out there are putting out.

You don't buy that Bendis felt the title was done, that once the big secret was out, part of the mystery was gone?

Cyc (who still wants to know about Jessica as Knightress...)

yeah, but i think he could have done more with Jessica in the MAX line and not have her play second fiddle to Luke Cage and Ben Urich. she has her own stories to tell, and plenty of them i think.

I think both Radd and Isamu are right. Yes the comic industry isn't what it used to be 15yrs ago. I live in Md. and I used to know all the book shops in around the Baltimore area. Now most of those shops have closed or folded. :( I do believe there is a upswing in profits. Comics books have to change with the times. Maybe a push for online comics? Now, I love the paper but comics might have to go with the flow.

The best stories and most memorable characters have a beginning and an end, DC, Marvel, and the rest almost always refuse to put their creations to rest when their stories are finished. And no, it is not ignorant to say that stories and characters wind up recycled endlessly in American comics. How many times has the Marvel universe had to go chasing after some mystical knicknack to reset the universe? How many times has Optimus Prime died, and come back (the comics were far worse about this than the tv series), how many times do we see revisions of characters origin stories? I'm speaking of someone who used to follow comics, and got sick of them because of this crap.

Many popular Japanese series/characters get revised/retold as well, though. How many Getter Robo incarnations have there been with the same major characters and story tweaked to some degree. Tetsujin 28, Astro Boy...

Anyway, the single greatest contributor to the decline of comics in the US is video games.

Could be worse, in Japan (according to USA Today) the young adults have lost interest in having sex, and are afraid of each other. The boys prefer virtual girlfriends and hookers, while the girls prefer to fashion shop and vacation with their girlfriends.

I live in San Antonio, TX, and there are at least 10 if not more local comics stores. they have expanded recently, into bigger buildings. maybe the SA environment is different and the Market is better here, but considering SA is a kinda secondary market ( Not NY, LA, Chi-town) i think its doing pretty good. i live down town and i have 5 in 10 min driving distance.

This is the sort of response that gives weight to an argument. I'm very glad to hear it, too. I'd love to see the industry make a rebound.

One word that sums up the American continuities.. convoluted. no matter how you streamline a character and his myth, there's always decades of history to weigh it down,and you're always going to bring in characters from past continuities to make it more interesting or maybe give the newer stories a twist. So I'm actually hoping the industry collapses. While the good ol' staple superheroes will undoubtedly stay, a lot of the muck can be gotten rid of. And maybe a structure like the one Japan has will rise out of the ashes. Nice dream huh? :p

Many popular Japanese series/characters get revised/retold as well, though. How many Getter Robo incarnations have there been with the same major characters and story tweaked to some degree. Tetsujin 28, Astro Boy...

As far as I know, there's only been one Tetsujin 28 manga. Some might argue that Giant Robo is much the same, and on a superficial level they'd be quite correct in this assumption, however the writer does tackle different themes, with different characters. Little boy entrusted with father's robot is the extent of their similarities.

Again, there is only one Tetsuwan Atom manga. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Never been a Getter fan, so I can't really comment on that series.

US has to learn how JP manga's distributed? Like every 2-3 months? That's pretty freakin horrible. Especially in today's ADD generation. If you want to sell 'em, JP should learn from America.

Huh? Most manga in Japan is distributed in weekly or monthy anthology publications. Where do you get 2-3 months from?