Got My YF-21!

wolfx

I got my YF-21 for US63 today. Not the cheapest, i know, but its worth it. I read many times about the problems ppl faced with this toy...and I'm happy to announce that I had quite a satisfactory toy.

1stly, I want to comment the major difficulty I had with the toy was, it falls apart with the legs dangling when converting from fighter mode to gerwalk the 1s time. Everything comes out and I had quite some difficuly trying to get it all snapped in place in gerwalk mode. Otherwise, it stands pretty well in gerwalk mode with legs positioned properly.

Battroid mode, I was also able to make it stand on the 1st try. I can see why some ppl could've had problems with it, since the legs are rather floppy. But rotate the thighs abit and you'll get it to be standing up quuite stable...unless u accidentally pushed it.

The gunpod hands also snapped in easily into the ball joint. I think I read somewhere that someone (i think Graham?) had to take apart the hand to put the gunpod arm into the socket. No such problem for me.

The toy lacks poseability in battroid and gerwalk mode...but it looks good in both modes. But of course, the best and most solid lookin mode would be the jet mode. I give it a 8/10. I'd post pictures, but i'm sure all of you are well aquainted with the YF-21 FP.

Question: This toy doesn't come with a sticker guide? How do i know where to stick this stuff or are they just for customisation purposes?

wow,no sticker guide? i thought all my yamatos came w/ 1 of those.hmmm,maybe they forgot to put yours in the box.if,so,i'm sure somebody would scan 1 for ya to help you out :)

did you get the YF-21 FP?

my 21 FP hip joint very lose, I don't know is it same as your problem,

but I open the joint, apply some BLU-tack in the joint to solve this prolbem,

have a nice result~ :)

about the sticker guide, as I know, the offical design also haven't much

detail marking, I just apply the round arrow sign and "21" at the right place,

you can follow the box's pic. to apply it.

and the other, because each kind of the sticker have their specify meaning,

so I think we can use the vf-1 for the reference.( better than nothing :p )

Edited by 柿崎速雄

Well waiting for YF-19 to come out anyway....with fast pack............i want it !!!!!!!!!when is it coming out ???????????????? sighs................................

if someone knew for sure, it'd already be posted here.

Just forget about it like I have, then when it DOES come out (sometime this millenia), we'll all be semi-surprised and excited. :D

Given the time yamato kept us waiting for it, they're better off redesigning all the mac plus valks. The 21 and the 11b all are worth resculpting. <_<

After reading the compendium, I don't know understand where the missle pods are on the YF-21 as well as the 4 hardpoints for it, looking at the toy. *scratches head*

Four internal Bifors BML-02S YF-21-exclusive all-environ rapid-fire micro-missile launchers with exit ports on the forward dorsal section to the sides of the engine nacelles. Four hard point weapon stations for two external Howard/General GV-17L new standard cartridge-less gatling gun pods each with retractable grip and retractable stealth cover

What boggles me more is the Fastpacks for the YF-21. It just looks like extra pieces of armour. Doesn't look like it has thrusters or any visible missle pods on it. :blink:

I have the same problem with the floppy legs, nonetheless I have no problem standing up the toy in both battroid and gerwalk mode; due to great center of gravity. I will definitely buy VF-19 when it comes out early next year to complete the flock.

I don't know if Yamato made any improvements to the FP version, but the original that I have is the worse Yamato ever IMO. I cannot display mine in any mode except fighter. I won't go into all the problems I had with it because I don't have the time. However, it looks like the VF-0S will soon take the worst-ever crown in the near future. At least the YF-21 looks pretty good in all modes regardless of stability.

What boggles me more is the Fastpacks for the YF-21. It just looks like extra pieces of armour. Doesn't look like it has thrusters or any visible missle pods on it. :blink:

Those little black diamonds on the sides. Those are missile launchers. :)

I love the YF-21FP. My 2nd favorite valk (after my 1/48 Low Viz).

I really wish Yamato would release a VF-22S version with the parts they sculpted. Maybe tighter hip joints or something, but no biggie. I'd prefer a redesign for FP panels that include functional landing gear (more space in thsee things than the normal fighter mode leg covers!).

yeah, my ONLY gripe with the yf-21 is that there's no reason why the landing gear on the fast packs shouldn't work... other than maybe there isn't supposed to be seperate landing gear for the fast packs but rather the original landing gear is supposed to come through and extend out... if that's the case I couldn't expect yamato to do that with a 1:72 toy.

I LOVE the yf-21 FP I bought 2!! one that standis in battaloid, and one that has never been transformed sits beside it.

What boggles me more is the Fastpacks for the YF-21. It just looks like extra pieces of armour. Doesn't look like it has thrusters or any visible missle pods on it.

I asked myself the same question too. There's some interesting "rpg" info on fast packs for M+ mecha from steelfalcon.com here: (relevent bits in bold)

SPECIAL FAST BOOSTER UNITS

NP-ARFB-Y1 FAST Augmentation Modules

In 2040 during the Project Super Nova design contests both Shinsei Industries and General Galaxy experimented with new concepts in FAST pack designs for the YF-19 and YF-21. For Shinsei Industries, the radical new engines of the YF-19 produced so much thrust that extra rocket boosters were unnecessary, so no dorsal backpack thrusters were designed. Instead, modules that included missile launchers and more vernier thrusters were mounted on the legs, and extra armor was mounted on the arm shield and shoulder blades to help against missiles and cannon fire. The NP-ARFB is designed to not generate additional drag for the fighter, so there is no dodge penalty in an atmosphere. However, the YF-19 does not gain any speed bonus from the FAST packs since there are no booster rockets.

FIRST PRODUCED: 2040

COMPATIBLE WITH: YF-19/VF-19 only

MDC VALUE:

Shoulder Packs (2): 50 each

Leg Modules (2): 100 each

Anti-Projectile Shield (1, replaces standard shield): 225

SPECIAL:

No dodge penalty in atmosphere

No speed bonus

WEAPONRY:

MICRO-MISSILE LAUNCHERS

PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense

MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Short Range Missile can be used.

RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2.5 miles (4 km).

DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.

RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 4 missiles.

PAYLOAD: 12 missiles per launcher/24 total

NP-ARFB-Y2 FAST Augmentation Modules

General Galaxy also experimented with new FAST pack designs during the Project Super Nova contest of 2040. For the YF-21 the problem of FAST modules was slightly more difficult due to the fact that the arms and legs of the mecha are located inside the fuselage and under the main engines when the AVF is in fighter mode. In the end, General Galaxy designers came up with a FAST augmentation pack that was mounted on the underside of the fighter along the wings and then connected to the folded wing modules in back of the VF in battloid mode. In addition, extra armor was added to the arms of the YF-21 to assist in parrying incoming weapons fire. Like the NP-ARFB-Y1, the Y2 addes weapons, armor, and vernier jets to the YF-21 but no rocket thrusters, so there is no speed bonus from the FAST packs.

FIRST PRODUCED: 2040

COMPATIBLE WITH: YF-21/VF-22 only

MDC VALUE:

Leg Modules (2): 100 each

Arm Modules (2): 60 each

SPECIAL:

No dodge penalty in atmosphere

No speed bonus

WEAPONRY:

MICRO-MISSILE LAUNCHERS

PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault/Defense

MISSILE TYPES: Any type of Short Range Missile can be used.

RANGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2.5 miles (4 km).

DAMAGE: Varies with missile type, typically 2D6x10 M.D.

RATE OF FIRE: Volleys of 1 to 6 missiles.

PAYLOAD: 12 missiles per launcher/24 total

There's even an explanation for why the legs and arms are so skinny on the YF-21 here.

DETATCHABLE LIMBS: The arms and legs of the YF-21 are detatchable, so that in the event one or more of the limbs of the mecha are damaged they can be ejected from the main body so as to avoid creating atmospheric drag or preventing transformation. The YF-21's arms and legs don't contain any critical systems so the AVF's performance will be unaffected if they are jettisoned. However, the YF-21 will not be able to hold its GV-17L gun pod in gerwalk or soldier mode if both arms are ejected.

Ah. No wonder. Just as an unrelated sidenote: I've always liked the traditional, rounded, bulky "organic" look of Zentreadi mechs as opposed to the straight and rectangular look of the human ones. Reasoning that in the end it shouldn't matter what shape your fighter mode is when you're in space should it?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

For a toy, I think the YF-21 FP sculpt is way better than the old YF-19, even though I love the YF-19 to death!

For Macross Plus Fans, its a no brainer since you only have Hasegawa model kits to choose from or Yamato's version, which is not bad for a toy. Just be careful of those limbs and get that clear nail polish to tighten them up.