Stunned Japan Agonizes Over Schoolgirl Stabbing

soze

That's a particularly low bodycount for an elementary killing, from an American standpoint.

This stuff is horrible, but is it still shocking to you guys?

EDITED to add - I know it's creepy, but after reading about the other youth crimes in Japan, I'm starting to get a weird "Battle Royale" vibe.

Edited by Blaine23

That's a particularly low bodycount for an elementary killing, from an American standpoint.

EDITED to add - I know it's creepy, but after reading about the other youth crimes in Japan, I'm starting to get a weird "Battle Royale" vibe.

Yeah, it's all good and great in the movies and stuff (I enjoyed Battle Royale,Audition, etc. They've got some of the best horror and dementia films out there) ....but pretty scary when it's real-life.

Maybe not, but still very disturbing...

Slightly OT, but on another page it says that they are investigating emails and cell phone mssgs (which is way more popular in Asia than the U.S.)

First of all this 11 yr old girl had a cell phone?

Second, many cases are starting to use cell phone text mssgs as evidence. The phone company saves all of them in their servers. I had no idea. :huh:

"The 11-year-old told police that she had been upset at Satomi for posting a message about her on a Web site and that she had intended to kill Satomi over it."

That's just sad.

its the american culture's growing influences' fault.

That's ridiculous. Japanese culture? Into violence? Nah.

It must be evil America's doing! :rolleyes:

Well it is a stereotypically american reaction to blame something that is obviously not the source of the problem, instead of confronting the problem itself.

Actually, on the article itself, I was glad they didn't go and blame music or cartoons, or anything like that, and instead simply stated that people must be taught to understand the value of life. Whenever this sort of thing happens here in America, we see fingerpointing that never even comes close to the real problem.

Dude I was just thinking the same thing :ph34r::blink:

its the american culture's growing influences' fault.

That's ridiculous. Japanese culture? Into violence? Nah.

It must be evil America's doing! :rolleyes:

Well it is a stereotypically american reaction to blame something that is obviously not the source of the problem, instead of confronting the problem itself.

Actually, on the article itself, I was glad they didn't go and blame music or cartoons, or anything like that, and instead simply stated that people must be taught to understand the value of life. Whenever this sort of thing happens here in America, we see fingerpointing that never even comes close to the real problem.

You are exactly right. (Regarding Americans and finger pointing) Here we just have lawsuit hungry people, and babysitting governments. WHile the parents totally disregard the need for quality time with their children.

Edited by soze

This story immediately made me think of Battle Royale, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl had seen that manga, I understand it's very popular over there. I glanced through volume 1 of the Tokyo Pop release of it here and it's some seriously sick crap. Little girls in school uniforms cutting each other's heads off with scythes and the like.

The more desensitized to violence you are the more accepting you are of it... and some might argue the more prone to it. Then again I have seen hardended soldier hardass types puke their guts out when they saw some of what some people would call "low level gore". And in the same breath being "used to it" does also not neccessarily make you capable of it. It's the hard heart that kills.

This story immediately made me think of Battle Royale, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl had seen that manga, I understand it's very popular over there. I glanced through volume 1 of the Tokyo Pop release of it here and it's some seriously sick crap. Little girls in school uniforms cutting each other's heads off with scythes and the like.

thats only the tip of the iceberg buddy. Battle royale is considered mainstream manga and anime over there but there is a subsect called erojiro trans: erotic horror, esentially what americans consider animated/drawn snuff.

Dude I was just thinking the same thing :ph34r::blink:

Indeed....scary isn't it?