Macross incedent

jwinges

I'm in Best Buy in Mesa AZ looking in the anime section and I notice this Beautiful Oriental girl with her american boyfriend. He Picks up a robotech remaster box set and says something about minmay. Suddenly, she starts singing Minmays Shu Shu Shu Shu song (isn't it called my boyfriend is a pilot?). Anyway he looks at her all puzzeled, probably since he's only seen robotech and only knows those minmay songs. Because of his look she keeps singing in this beautiful voice close to that of minmays. As she sings a crowd of about 10-15 people start to gather around her she realizes this but keeps singing the whole song. When she finishes the group claps a little and tells her how great her song was.

She totally brightned up the mood for everyone. It was great. her boyfriend just looked stunned.

\

Just thought it was cool.

I'm in Best Buy in Mesa AZ looking in the anime section and I notice this Beautiful Oriental girl ...

Dude, Asian-American please... "Oriental" is NOT the perfered nomenclature.

Honkeys like us don't often pay attention to such things.

I'm in Best Buy in Mesa AZ looking in the anime section and I notice this Beautiful Oriental girl ...

What?

What?

Was my post confusing?

I Asian people don't like being called "Oriental." Food is oriental. People aren't.

You must hang around different "asian-americans" than I do cause none of them care if I call them "oriental" or "hot dog" or whatever. I didn't realise that being from the "Orient" was an insult.

leave it to A1 to derail a thread...

Man that's cool. I wish I would have been there and then after she sang with her beautiful voice I would have loved to go up to her boyfriend and give him a good swift kick in the balls.

Man that's cool. I wish I would have been there and then after she sang with her beautiful voice I would have loved to go up to her boyfriend and give him a good swift kick in the balls.

Dude, I think my MoJo is slightly too powerfull for MW today... I seem to be doin it all over the place.

It's not about being from the orient that's insulting. That term is already struck down from books since the 70's, iirc.

It's just that "oriental" means rug to most asians/asian-americans people like me.

I rather not have you whiteboys call our girls "oriental". We rather have you call our people (especially our girls) as asians/asian-american or chinese or japanese or vietnamese or thai, etc, etc, to be specific.

Man that's cool.  I wish I would have been there and then after she sang with her beautiful voice I would have loved to go up to her boyfriend and give him a good swift kick in the balls.

hahah, while you do that I'll pick up the chick and leave. Thanx EXO! :p:D:lol:

Edited by BoBe-Patt

It's not about being from the orient that's insulting. That term is already struck down from books since the 70's, iirc.

It's just that "oriental" means rug to most asians/asian-americans people like me.

I rather not have you whiteboys call our girls "oriental".  We rather have you call our people (especially our girls) as  asians/asian-american or chinese or japanese or vietnamese or thai, etc, etc, to be specific.

yeah, just keep it simple and call us ASIAN period. No other special names will do, like nips, chinks, charlie, japs, chinito, fly lice, mushu, flips, combo #3, wok man, etc.... :p:D:lol:

Edited by BoBe-Patt

I rather not have you whiteboys call our girls "oriental".  We rather have you call our people (especially our girls) as  asians/asian-american or chinese or japanese or vietnamese or thai, etc, etc, to be specific.

yeah, just keep it simple and call us ASIAN period. No other special names will do, like nips, chinks, charlie, japs, chinito, fly lice, etc.... :p:D:lol:

Hmm, I was informed by one of the Japanese people in town that his people most definetly did not want to be called asian (that was for people from Asia.) Has this changed? It was a number of years ago.

That chick is a keeper.

yeah, just keep it simple and call us ASIAN period. No other special names will do, like nips, chinks, charlie, japs, chinito, fly lice, etc.... :p:D:lol:

Hmm, I was informed by one of the Japanese people in town that his people most definetly did not want to be called asian (that was for people from Asia.) Has this changed? It was a number of years ago.

Prolly still true.

Most native Japanese don't want to be called anything other than Japanese. Same with the Chinese and everybody other Asians, too. They prefer to be referred to with their specific race.

Just that some of us don't mind the term asian or asian-american when we're now living here in the States. Some born-here would rather be called americans, anyway.

Afaik, none of them wanted to be called Oriental, either, since that pretty much is a known colonial-term.

sorry if I offended anyone. not my inteny. if I was single I would have definitely asked her out. my wife was standing next to me at the time though. she looked like the girl from the last issue of playboy.

I'm gonna need a reference please.

sorry if I offended anyone. not my inteny. if I was single I would have definitely asked her out. my wife was standing next to me at the time though. she looked like the girl from the last issue of playboy.

hahaha!

which issue was this? so that we can all gauge how she look like. :lol:

and fwiw, i know you didnt mean any offense with the term-usage. it's all good. :D

the issue with the girl from Angel on the cover. I have a subscription so it came a few weeks ago. beautiful girl...worth the price of buying the issue. Probably the best looking girl in playboy this year. let me double check when I get home. I'm 99% sure it was that issue though.

We can always go back to using "mongoloid." (that was a joke) Personally, I've never liked using a continent to refer to a racial group, because it tends to exclude a lot of people from the given continent who do not fall into that group. Not to mention, it's rather silly to call someone an Asian who was not born in Asia. If I absolutely must refer to someone by their ethnicity/race, I try to be more specific than just continent.

Alright, before this thread gets completely racial,

that was a neat encounter; wish I was apart of it. Everyone should

have joined in and sang, too. Kind of like a musical...

Lol, she was probably the ony one who knew the song. Wish I'd been there...

Regarding how the word "oriental" is now considered verboten:

This came about as one school of thought replaced another regarding Far East studies in western universities.

For the longest time, the study of asian cultures in Western universities was called "Oriental Studies" or "Orientalism." However, these studies tended to be very Euro-centric and from the perspective of the European powers then colonizing and largely controlling the Far East. Britain, of course, was a major figure here.

However, as the British Empire began to deconstruct itself, and more liberal, less Euro-centric views of the Far East emerged in the west, many more "enlightened" scholars began to consider (or assert) that "Orientalism" was synonymous with racism and the colonial, imperial outlook on the world. So, it gradually became banished to the the list of words that nobody is supposed to utter.

My apologies if this is all BS. I read about this a few years ago and I could not find the original source. Further, I believe I read it in a politcal mag. So it may be biased. But, that's my understanding of how things went down.

H

Edited by Hurin

Regarding how the word "oriental" is now considered verboten:

This came about as one school of thought replaced another regarding Far East studies in western universities.

For the longest time, the study of asian cultures in Western universities was called "Oriental Studies" or "Orientalism." However, these studies tended to be very Euro-centric and from the perspective of the European powers then colonizing and largely controlling the Far East. Britain, of course, was a major figure here.

However, as the British Empire began to deconstruct itself, and more liberal, less Euro-centric views of the Far East emerged in the west, many more "enlightened" scholars began to consider (or assert) that "Orientalism" was synonymous with racism and the colonial, imperial outlook on the world. So, it gradually became banished to the the list of words that nobody is supposed to utter.

My apologies if this is all BS. I read about this a few years ago and I could not find the original source. Further, I believe I read it in a politcal mag. So it may be biased. But, that's my understanding of how things went down.

H

Thats pretty much my understanding of it. Thats why I made my first post.

Actually, Jwinges was there, so there was TWO people that knew the song... :p

jwinges should've done a duet with her, then. :o

:lol::lol::lol:

jwinges should've done a duet with her, then. :o

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Yeah right... he can't even get kyun kyun right!!! :lol: