THX-1138 returns

http://www.thx1138movie.com./

THX-1138 is finally comming to DVD. An expansion of his student film, THX-1138 was George Lucas' first feature film. While it's still seen from time to time on late-night cable, not many people have seen this interesting little film. I definitely recommend it to movie buffs everywhere, if for no other reason than to see a film that's markedly different from Lucas' work in American Graffiti and Star Wars.

boxart.jpg

Edited by bsu legato

I heard he was gonna add in a bunch of CGI ships and stuff... :p

J/K... THX1138 is a dorm-room classic for me. Sorta like The Wall and Fantasia. Illegal substances were quite often involved. But it's cool without 'em too.

The trailer looks good, better quality than I remember from the time I saw it, but the news stories (thankfully) say that all they've done is restore the footage; nothing about changes or edits.

How can you go wrong when Robert Duvall and Blofeld--er, Donald Pleasance are in the same movie!?

I love those depressing 60's-70's dystopia/end of the world flicks.

The trailer looks good, better quality than I remember from the time I saw it, but the news stories (thankfully) say that all they've done is restore the footage; nothing about changes or edits.

Actually, if you watch the trailer again, you might see that they've done a "cloud city" to the background. There's one or two new looking shots that appear to really expand the scale of the underground city.

I'd put it in a class with...

Logan's Run

Planet of the Apes (Charleton Heston version, of course)

Alphaville

Silent Running

Brave New World (at least, the TV version I saw once)

Sleeper (sort of)

A Boy and His Dog

and (although not a dystopian movie) 2001

In other words, you need to see it.

One of the greatest SF movie ever IMO, far above the Star Wars crap (which isn't that difficult in the end...): a definitive must :)

The story takes place in a future where population has grown crazy and people are named following letters and numbers, hence the title of the movie which is the main character's name. In this society, a recent law declare babies as forbidden for about 30 years in order to jugulate this issue (this is not very different than some actual chinese laws btw). But THX1138 falls in love with a woman and together they make a kid...

Nothing to do with Star Wars, fortunately :)

The story takes place in a future where population has grown crazy and people are named following letters and numbers, hence the title of the movie which is the main character's name. In this society, a recent law declare babies as forbidden for about 30 years in order to jugulate this issue (this is not very different than some actual chinese laws btw). But THX1138 falls in love with a woman and together they make a kid...

Nothing to do with Star Wars, fortunately :)

Thnx. :)

You left out the rather large fact that the entire populace is kept in a drugged, emotionless stupor in order to keep them subjugated. :D

and that a channel dedicates to Robot Police men beating down a human,

Hey, I think I have that channel. I think it's called "COPS" or something... waitaminute! :o

Yep, this film is definitely still relevant today. It's what has me interested in Lucas' post Episode III works, since he's said that he'd like to return to smaller, more experimental films.

• 1 month later...

You left out the rather large fact that the entire populace is kept in a drugged, emotionless stupor in order to keep them subjugated. :D

You mean they still have eMpTV in the future? :o

One of the greatest SF movie ever IMO, far above the Star Wars crap (which isn't that difficult in the end...): a definitive must :)

I agree except that the original Star wars was pretty good...

I am glad this movie has been rereleased,,,it has been one of my underground favorites for quite some time now...

everytime i tell one of my friends about it they go you mean the one when the robot/computer "hal" takes over...."UHHH NO" :lol:

Logan's Run

Alphaville

Silent Running

Sleeper (sort of)

A Boy and His Dog

Good list. My other favorite dystopian future movies from the 70s include: -

Death Race 2000.

Rollerball (the original, not the crap remake).

Graham

Logan's Run

Alphaville

Silent Running

Sleeper (sort of)

A Boy and His Dog

Good list. My other favorite dystopian future movies from the 70s include: -

Death Race 2000.

Rollerball (the original, not the crap remake).

Graham

You mean you don't like Zardoz? :p

edit:I can't spell

Edited by Opus