1/48 VF-1 Panel Lines

USCOLMRNE

I bought some Sakura markers to panel line my MPCs, but I havent summoned the courage to use them on my 1/48s. I kinda dont want to panel line them in black/too dark. I just may try hirohawas suggestion with the Tamiya clear smoke.

I did mine the same way I do my models - I used a thinned oil wash. I mixed a light grey thinned down mixture of artist oil paints and odourless/low odour varsol (its weaker) and let it flow into the lines. I wiped away any excess. I find this light grey to be more subtle.

Sorry old photo from another thread - I'll take photos of the 1/48 after I get Anasazi37's water slide decals.

post-4-1062788232_thumb.jpg

I did mine the same way I do my models - I used a thinned oil wash. I mixed a light grey thinned down mixture of artist oil paints and odourless/low odour varsol (its weaker) and let it flow into the lines. I wiped away any excess. I find this light grey to be more subtle.

Sorry old photo from another thread - I'll take photos of the 1/48 after I get Anasazi37's water slide decals.

Hiya Wmcheng,

Always love the subtle approach. Have a question to ask ya, did you pre coat your 1/48 VF-1S with a semi gloss or flat clear coat before panel washing or you just applied it just like that? You intend to do a light clear aftercoat after the application of decals to sealed them in and protect the valk surface as well?

Hope to see pictures of your finished work soon

Cheers

Subtle is good.  I'm really starting to like the panel lines, but A7's were just WAY too pronounced.

I agree, but the darker panel lines give a more anime feel to the Valk.

I really like wm cheng's oil-wash panel lining. If only Yamato did detailing like his on all of their Valks...

they did a pretty decent job of panel lining on the low vis. maybe this'll be something they start doing in some form or another on future valks?

I just did it right on the bare plastic and wiped off. The only thing was that a bit of the yellow or black did come off on my cloth/towel when I wiped down, but I couldn't tell on the toy itself. So I would suggest using very little varsol (remember low odour or odourless since its weaker) and being careful when you are panelling over the black or coloured lines - but everything else went great.

Yes, I do intend to clear-coat the toy to protect the decals when I am done - but I am still waiting for the set from our friend Anasazi :) I haven't decided whether to do a light post-shading on the toy yet before I seal it in with the clear coat. It is a toy after all - I haven't decided yet - where would I stop - I don't want to start filling all the seams now :rolleyes:

I did panel lines on the custom Hikaru VF-1S I made..I cheated and used a fine tipped black Gundam marker. I was going for the "anime" look.

of course the day after I did it, the Yamato version went up for preorder lol

I might try a a light grey oil wash next time around for a more realistic look.

I did panel lines on the custom Hikaru VF-1S I made..I cheated and used a fine tipped black Gundam marker. I was going for the "anime" look.

I'm not a fan of that Gundam Marker because it's too thick for most panel lines. That's why I opted to use a Sakura Pigma micron 005 pen instead.

Ya I know. I had to thin out the black a bit. Do most hobby stores carry the one you use? I'm looking to try something a little better than a crappy Gundam marker.

Yeah, I too have pretty much abandoned gundam markers.

I find the overall best panel line pens are Rotring Rapidograph technical pens, but they cost about 30 bucks a piece. I only have mine because I got them for my architecture classes, which promptly got their funding cut. So, I had these great fine tip pens, and I decided to try them. They really do make great lines.

I'm not a fan of that Gundam Marker because it's too thick for most panel lines. That's why I opted to use a Sakura Pigma micron 005 pen instead.

I've actually gotten some pretty good results with Gundam markers on my Yammies. Use the gray ones on the lighter areas, and use black ONLY on darker colored pieces to bring out the detail. It's tempting to go over the lines multiple times, but I find it comes out just way too dark if you do anything other than a single pass.

I agree Gundam markers are much too large to be of much use in modelling or something (why would you use a marker when you could do an oil wash, anyway???), but the Yamatos have some pretty thick and deep panel lines - especially the 1/48 line - that lend themselves pretty well to them.

Whichever way you do it, I definitely think it really brings them to life, especially when viewing them from a distance. I'm going to have to get a camera to show these things off one of these days ...

I used a grey gundam marker, and then use alcohol to wipe it gentally until it is very thin and light, finally use a paper tissue to dry the alcohol out.

It looks just awesome.

I agree. You can also use this method to do some light weathering. No more worries when you make mistakes because it can all be diluted then wiped clean away.