Head Lasers

Jin_Kune_Do

Here is a question...

I was wondering if the "headlaser" is any good in a dogfight (both in space and in atmosfere)?

I more concerned with that a pilots combat options are. The thing is, both the missils and the gunpod is limited. The Gunpod is the main weapon during G and B mode, i dont think it would be a good idea to use that too much. Since you cant reload the gunpod in the field.

So do you people that the pilots use the headlasers more, and the missils payload is depleted?

-Jin

The head lasers in SDF Macross are seen used to actually destroy Regult Battlepods. I beleive in the first episode Roy is shown blasting a Regult to pieces with just the head lasers on his VF-1S. They are also used extensively in fighter mode and can be seen in action during many of the battle sequences. The head laser's primary purpose is anti-aircraft/spacecraft.

The head lasers are undoubtedly dependant upon the power used to operate the fusion engines of the Valkyrie so it would draw power as it's used more and more. The lasers can also overheat if fired continuously for extended periods of time, as seen in Episode 10 "Blind Game." So even though the lasers may have much more effective ammunition than a gunpod or the missile loadout, they certainly not without limitations.

The head lasers in SDF Macross are seen used to actually destroy Regult Battlepods. I beleive in the first episode Roy is shown blasting a Regult to pieces with just the head lasers on his VF-1S. They are also used extensively in fighter mode and can be seen in action during many of the battle sequences. The head laser's primary purpose is anti-aircraft/spacecraft.

In M0, they are also used as a CIWS.

Since you cant reload the gunpod in the field.

Actually, that's only true of the VF-1's GU-11 gunpod and maybe a few others.

The gunpods of the VF-11, YF/VF-19, VF-17 and possibly others can be reloaded in the field with spare magazines carried on the VF.

The Macross Compendium also mentions that the VF-0 can carry spare gunpod magazines in the leg FAST packs.

Graham

I was only refering to the VF-1 series. I had gotten the impression that the Headlasers werent really that effective. And that the GU-11 was the weapon that was used most (after the missils loads are depleted)

I cant remember that tread it was, but i read that the GU 11 could only fire up to 10-20 seconds before the ammo is used up. That would be kinda scary for the pilot, foremost since he cannot reload the gunpod in the field, meaning he has to return to the SDF-1, leaving him defenseless in the field (asuming that the headlasers are that weak and basicly worthless)

So this means that the headlasers are powerful enuff so the pilot can still continue to fight, dispite that the GU-11 and missils loads are depleted?

-Jin

However much "continuous firing" time the GU-11 allows is about the same or more than a modern fighter jet. The GU-11 has less ammo than, say, an F-15, but it is higher caliber and has a lower rate of fire. Guns are typically fired in very short bursts; I'd imagine that a GU-11's ammo capacity is enough for a good number of bursts.

More here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=0entry38940

So at least superficially, a Valk with a full load of missiles and a gunpod can engage about the same number of targets in one mission as modern fighter. Things might be a little different, though, if you consider the way missiles are fired in swarming volleys, or the fact that Valks are often called upon to act as "infantry" on the ground.

Edited by ewilen

I cant remember that tread it was, but i read that the GU 11 could only fire up to 10-20 seconds before the ammo is used up.

10 seconds. But in real world you don't fire like a madman. Short controlled burst are the key.

That would be kinda scary for the pilot, foremost since he cannot reload the gunpod in the field, meaning he has to return to the SDF-1, leaving him defenseless in the field (asuming that the headlasers are that weak and basicly worthless)

Team work. You retreat covered by your wingmen. Fighting without ammo is a suicide, I doubt someone could order something like that.

FV

Thanks for the info guys.

Im no wizz on military tactics and so forth, but from what ive seen from the tv series, plus some additional reading on (now dont flame me) the "Robotech" and the "Attension On Deck" novels, ( and i know they arent "canon") Ive just got the impression that they situations a pilot faces, is complet chaos. I just figured it would be a real nightmare for the average "Brown" VF-1A guys.

So it made me ask if the headlasers are an effective weapon or not.

-Jin ;)

Just thought I'd interject that the US military is contemplating installing a retractable laser turret under the fuselage of the F-35 at some point in the future. The intended uses are both offensive and defensive. Cooling is one of the big obstacles to technical feasibility, but they're working on it.

http://www.aviationnow.com/content/publica...020708/aw32.htm

Yeah, if the head lasers are decent combat weapons why are they fixed rearward in later valks?

Well, atleast on the Y/VF-19, the head laser is only facing rearward in fighter and GERWALK modes. In battroid it can be positioned forward towards an enemy or to any incoming missiles, besides in fighter and GERWALK it also has those forward fixed lasers at the base of the wings; so it doesn't really need the head laser to point forward then.

Edited by Shmitty

dude in macross for the ps2, i use the head lasers to shoot down incomming missles, and to shoot enemys when my gun pod is cooling down, so sorry if i got off topic but i find the head lasers would be effective

I'm not sure if pilots use the head lasers more if and when the missile payload is depleted, but I know (and we all should!) that pilots use 'em for combat. Someone already mentioned that ROY used the head lasers to destroy a Regult on the TV series, but they forgot to mention that MAX used the head lasers on his 1S when he was dogfighting MIRIA on DYRL? above the ruined ancient city. If this isn't enough proof for anyone, I don't know what would be?! :)

Yeah, if the head lasers are decent combat weapons why are they fixed rearward in later valks?

Because nothing else is set up to shoot backwards and it's nice to be able to hit something coming in behind you(or any missiles they fire).

Nore also that later valks carry energy weapons built-in to other parts of the body also.

The YF-21, for example, has laser guns in both of it's arms. That can fire forward OR backward, no less.

The YF-21's head laser is also officially designated an anti-aircraft laser, as are most other head-lasers.