The Unofficial Front Mission 4 Thread

I ordered the demo from the Square/Enix site. You have to go HERE create a user and then submit a request for the free demo. As far as I know, they're still taking orders.

On that note...

FIRST OPINIONS

Summary- The demo has 4 open levels, 1,2 and 4 are playable stages, while 3 is a cutscene. The fourth and final level also allows you to save your progress when you complete. I'm guessing this might unlock some neat-o secret thing on the full version.

GRAPHICS-

CGI cut-scenes: A+

Square, IMHO, has always been one of the greats for CGI cutscenes and FM4 is no exceptions. The craphics are clean, the lighting effects amazing and the cinematography is topnotch.

In-game graphics: A-

The graphics which are run on the game engine are nice. Some distortion comes into play during camera movements (what I like to call "mirage warble"), but that's only to be expected. The cut-scenes which are run using the game engine itself are also extremely well done, the only difference from the CGI is level of graphical quality, all of the other cinematic goodies are still there (it's really cool when the Wanzers are "skating" along the ground and top a hill to get some air).

The animation for the Wanzers is great. You really get the feel that these are large machines. When you attack, you're Wanzer's position depends on which way he's pointing, so it's really cool when he whips around and blasts away on someone.

The rocket/missile attacks are improved as well, adding cleaner zig and zag to make it more exciting.

The camera is also much better. FM3 suffered from some angle issues, especially during the attack sequences, when the camera would be lodged in some object and cut off the view. No more!!!

SOUND

Music: A+

The music is very well done, and adds to the mood of the missions and cutscenes.

Sound Effects: B

The sound effects are good, as well. Some of the machine guns sound a little too wimpy, though.

Voice Acting: C

This is where it gets ya'. Some of the voice acting is OK, some of it blows. Many of the characters in the first two levels are of foreign nationality, so we get treated to Elsa's fairly poor french accent and some guy's extremely annoying italian accent ("I-ah might as well-ah join-ah in-ah." ...literally)

CONTROLS

A

The controls are pretty good all around. Some confusion occurs when you have to use the left analog for one command and then instinctively try to use it for the next, but you actually have to use the joypad, and vice-versa.

The zoom control kind of blows since it doesn't really zoom in or out that much, but the rotate (right analog) works well. When you rotate, you really get a feel for the level of detail in the graphics.

Two benefits are the X and the O buttons. The X button speeds up movement and the O button allows you to completely skip the attack animation. I can't remember if these were featured in FM3, but they're damned good to have here.

MINOR PROBLEMS

Nothing much, really. During the 4th mission there were several moments when the voice acting didn't kick in. I'm not sure if it was a glitch or not, though.

OVERALL

The demo thus far gets a solid A. If you're an FM fan, then this is what you're waiting for. This could be THE mech game to beat, strategy or otherwise.

Now I'll just have to wait for the full version to come out... :(

OK- loading up your saved file opens up a new mission as well as the Wanzer Shop.

Customizing your Wanzers: There about 30 camo patterns, around 100 different color for your armor plates and about 150-200 different colors for your "stripes" or markings.

In the mission, you have a wanzer that has an EMP weapon. It's cool.

OK, by utlizing your "save files" you can open up the final two levels listed. Afterwards it tells you "Thanks you for playing", etc. etc.

I noticed that if you scroll down past the last stage listed (there are 6), there might be a secret level. If you tap down once past 6, nothing is highlighted. tap down again and it starts back over at the first stage.

Sadly, I cannot test this right now because Queer Eye is on and my wife won't let me at the moment.

One neat option which, once again, I can't remember is in FM3 or not, is in the Wanzer Shop, you can actually purchase basic Wanzer set-us (ie- Gunner I, II, Missiler I, Melee I, II, III and several "experimental" models).

This greatly helps since you don't have to bother with putting a unit together. I do suggest making minor changes to the basic set-up, since they haven't (as of yet) come with any backpacks.

This game is looking better and better!

Two benefits are the X and the O buttons. The X button speeds up movement and the O button allows you to completely skip the attack animation. I can't remember if these were featured in FM3, but they're damned good to have here.

Sweet! No RoR* syndrome! I'm sold. :pB))

Here's to hoping they'll have a Japanese soundtrack with subs in the full version.

* = Ring of Red

Just got the demo. Niiice. I've already played through all the missions, and yes Drew, there is a hidden mission (it has your party storming through fortress walls). It seems like the option to eject out of your wanzer and use enemy units (tanks, choppers, turrets, etc) has been left out. It'd be a whole lot better to have more options like that if ever a pilot is left defenseless (once both arms have been blown off, your wanzer is nothing more than a roadblock). Otherwise, the game is a blast, and I can't remember the last time being excited about a game's release. :)

Just got the demo. Niiice. I've already played through all the missions, and yes Drew, there is a hidden mission (it has your party storming through fortress walls). It seems like the option to eject out of your wanzer and use enemy units (tanks, choppers, turrets, etc) has been left out. It'd be a whole lot better to have more options like that if ever a pilot is left defenseless (once both arms have been blown off, your wanzer is nothing more than a roadblock). Otherwise, the game is a blast, and I can't remember the last time being excited about a game's release. :)

Yeah, I found the extra mission, but forgot to write about it.

I'm curious as well about the ejections and such. I'm hoping that the disclaimer at the beginning about how the actual game may differ is simply an indicator that not all features are included in the demo.

It does rock, though. I'm excited.

I ordered the demo from the Square/Enix site. You have to go HERE create a user and then submit a request for the free demo. As far as I know, they're still taking orders.

Wait... You had to order yours? I thought they just gave them away to Square (Enix) members that wanted one. In afct I didn't have to fill anything out at all. I got an email telling me about the demo which I didn't read or fill out. Then about 2 months later I got the demo in the mail. Haven't trie dit yet. Benn pretty busy so I'm looking forward to any reviews you have.

Wait... You had to order yours? I thought they just gave them away to Square (Enix) members that wanted one. In afct I didn't have to fill anything out at all. I got an email telling me about the demo which I didn't read or fill out. Then about 2 months later I got the demo in the mail. Haven't trie dit yet. Benn pretty busy so I'm looking forward to any reviews you have.

Yeah. I had to sign up at a specific page for a membership to their site, and then at a specific page for FM4.

The biggest improvement in terms of gameplay is the new link system which allows allies to back you up with support fire as long as they're within range and have enough Action Points. This was only a randomly activated skill in FM3, but now enemies and allies can use this to their advantage on the battlefield. :)

Sorry, I just cannot take the name 'Wanzer' seriously. Sounds too much like a certain other word with the 'z' being replaced with a 'k' :p

I'm guessing it's supposed to mean Walking Panzer.

Although, Walking Tank would also work :lol:

Graham

The biggest improvement in terms of gameplay is the new link system which allows allies to back you up with support fire as long as they're within range and have enough Action Points.

Wow, good change. This will help a lot. I was playing 3 couple days ago and could have used that.

So, from the sound of things, they didn't change the turn system and attack stuff TOO much, right? mmm anticipation...it's whats for dinner. Now all we need is to have Bandai, Kotobukiya, Hasegawa or Aoshima step up and make some killer 1/48 models for 4. The figures were ok for 3 but models this time.

Edited by Sarensaas

Sorry, I just cannot take the name 'Wanzer' seriously. Sounds too much like a certain other word with the 'z' being replaced with a 'k' :p

I'm guessing it's supposed to mean Walking Panzer.

Although, Walking Tank would also work :lol:

Graham

You'd better watch it, tiger!

These may be your boards, but is Wnazer-fans take FMN seriously!!!

:D

Yeah, "wanzer" is silly, but FM is truly one of the best mech series ever (and I've played them all... or most of them).