Paint for valks and stuff thread.

jwinges

Revised: 4-17-04

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to get a master list together for macross of various paint brands and #'s for the various colors we use on out models and customs. The reason I'm doing this is that I'm betting there are others here that buy a bottle of paint thinking it will be approximately the right color only to get home and its off. God I hate that. So maybe we can help each other with the paints. Especially those of you who can read the japanese in the kits for the manufacturers suggested color. If you post please state brand, #, and whether its acrylic or enamyl. Thanks

Below is a start of what colors I'm looking for.

Valk White = Semi-Gloss White for Valk white testers acrylics

Valk Grey

VF1D orange

VF1D tan=Model Master (acrylic) Radome Tan (paint# 4722)

Focker yellow=insignia yellow or Blue Angels yellow (its less orangy)

Hiroku red 1A and 1S = Insignia red testers acrylics

Hiroku 1J grey = Gunze 311

Max DYRL blue=Testors brand French Blue Acrylic

Max TV blue=Testors brand French Blue Acrylic

max 1A 1/48 blue= cobalt blue

max 1/60 blue=french blue

Milla Qua Ru Green

Milla Qua Ru red =

Milla 1J = Guards Red testers acrylics

Max & Milla white highlights = Semi-Gloss White for Valk white testers acrylics

Elint grey

Elint black

Ostrich orange

Ostrich tan=Model Master (acrylic) Radome Tan (paint# 4722) lighten it a little

GBP grey

GBP red

Legoiss red

Nora's SV-51

Low viz grey

Low viz blue=medium blue

VF-2ss colors

Glaug red

Glaug grey

Glaug light blue

Legoiss blue

Legoiss green

Cyclone light blue

Monster green

Monster tan

yf 19 colors

YF-19 off white= 50:50 Tamiya gloss white & flat white with a few drops of XF-59 Desert Yellow (all Tamiya acrylics)

YF-19 off white/tan=Modern Desert Sand", FS33637 spray only or Panzer Interior Buff

YF-19 off white = Reaper Miniatures Pro paint: White leather

yf-21/22 colors

Enigma - Grey, offwhite

Blue Roses Blue and digital blues

Minmay Guard Paris color schemes

Minmay Guard Moon color schemes

Angel Birds - Red, White and Blue

Kakikazi Green - my custom used Hasegawa's paint guide colors

DRYL FP Blue color

TV FP Blue Color

Macross Zero VF-0S Roy Fokker

Macross Zero SV-51 colors

Mylene pink=Testor's "Hot Magenta

Mylene yellow parts=Insignia yellow

Mylene cockpit=Russian interior green

Mylene dark grey accents= Gunship grey

Anyway you guys get the idea. Please help fill in this list. :)

Edited by jwinges

well ill help you out with some colors, most of the colors used on valks are mixtures of paints and i dont have my color charts with me atm but heres what i do know.

Max blues both TV and DYRL, i use Testors brand French Blue Acrylic

and for any cockpit colors Testors makes their "Aircraft Interior" line of colors but ill get back to ya on the other colors once i get back to my colorcharts.

Jwinges,

Great idea! You should also add the following colors:

Enigma - Grey, offwhite

Blue Roses Blue and digital blues

Minmay Guard Paris color schemes

Minmay Guard Moon color schemes

Angel Birds - Red, White and Blue

Kakikazi Green - my custom used Hasegawa's paint guide colors - pics soon

DRYL FP Blue color

TV FP Blue Color

Macross Zero VF-0S Roy Fokker

Macross Zero SV-51 colors

There are more and I'll try to dig up my Hasegawa color codes over the week. So far, those are the closest canon colors I've actually seen and MUCH better than Yamato's sticker colors which are a tad too "toyish" for me.

Edited by Neova

I'll could add a bunch but most will be citadel paints they haven't made for a decade. You don't want to know how hard it is to track them down. :blink:

I'll let you know about the ones they still make at least. Space wolf grey works well as generic aircraft grey. As I think about this... this will be hard as I always use washes.... would pics be helpful? Better yet why don't everyone who does customs and kits simply record what paints were used and post them with the pics? Might as well make this a habit for everyone to do so we can all get inspiration LOL

Matching bare plastic colors with paint is as close to an exercise in futility as you can get. However, here is a small list of close color approximations for the paited areas of Yamato's toys:

Roy's yellow = Testors' insignia yellow...close enough any way ( I checked my 1/48 and it looks to have a tiny bit of orange in the yellow).

Low Vis blue = Testors' medium blue

Max's 1A blue 1/48 = Testors' cobalt blue...close, but not exact

Max's 1A blue 1/60 = Testors' french blue...close, but not exact

Non-TRU CF 1/60 Tan = Tamyia's TS-46 light sand...almost dead on.

YF-19 fuselage = Testors' desert sand...good enough if you don't like mixing paints.

YF-21 yellow = Blue angel's yellow...looks brighter than Roy's, at least on Yamato's versions.

Edit (04-21-04): Added CF tan, YF-19 fuselage, and YF-21 yellow to the list

Edited by mechaninac

What color of lt. gray/white would best match the base color of a Yamato 1/48 Roy or Hikaru 1A? Ya know, for touching up the head after sealing up the 1S face seam. Something like that?

Sorry, I know this is the model-ing area. But well, modeling techniques would be used! :)

Best Regards,

Hurin

VF-1D tan = I use Model Master (acrylic) Radome Tan (paint# 4722)

...The same color could be used for the tan on the VT-1 Super Ostrich (although you may want to lighten it since it appears a more subdued tan than what is found on the VF-1D)

...And if anyone has any recommendations for the VF-1D and Super O's orange colors, I would be very appreciative (Tamiya or Model Master acrylics preferred)

:)

Thanks,

Melissa

For Roy's yellow, "Blue Angels yellow" might be better--it's less "orange" than Insignia yellow is. (You can tell when they're side-by-side) Slightly lighter, as well. And pretty easy to find. It is very close to Insignia yellow, less than 20 numbers away in the FS system, but I think it's just that much closer to a pure bright yellow than Insignia yellow is.

YF-19: never actually tried it myself, but there is a spray-only color from Testors that is a light tan, lighter than even radome tan or most desert sand camo. "Modern Desert Sand", FS33637. (I think it's a US color, as most every other desert camo color specifies a country---but yet it's definitely not Desert Storm etc color--so I don't know what they mean by "modern") Definitely worth a look if you're building a YF-19. "Panzer Interior Buff" is also a very pale beige color. (I myself hate mixing colors, and always worry about one batch matching another) If/when I get around to making a Hase YF-19, those 2 will certainly be the first colors I try.

Edited by David Hingtgen

For my YF-19, I used Reaper Miniatures Pro paint: White leather... it looks really good (very close to how the plane looks on my tv screen when I watch the movie)... and it was in 1 color, no mixing.

I always use the Hasegawa painting instructions. They have just about every color covered. They are Gunze Sangyo paints which are very good. They are very similar to Tamiya. I have also used Gunze for the custom Enigmas that I have done.

Eh, Hasegawa often puts the wrong color for aircraft parts. Yes, they usually get camo colors right, but the "basics" are wrong. Like they say Barley or Aircraft grey for every aircraft interior, regardless. Well, that's right for many British plane, but every F-4/14/15/16/18 kit I've bought from them has been wrong in that regard. Should be Dark Gull grey. Does Gunze make Dark Gull? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Just commenting that Hase certainly isn't batting 1,000 for paint colors. I do believe that while Tamiya will often list a "mix" for any color they don't have, Hase simply lists "next closest thing" for any color Gunze doesn't have--even if other companies make the exact color.

PS---every US jet since about 1950, has a Dark Gull grey (36231) cockpit. Navy, Air Force, F-4 to F-22.

PPS--Akula--I've never heard of that brand. What's it used for/where can you buy it? But an "off white" sure sounds good to me, based on TV. (I am the kind of person who likes to paint based off of what you see on TV, regardless of what the artbooks show)

The only color that I have found that Hasegawa recommends that I don't agree with is the VF-1J color. The say to use Gunze 311, which I think is too grey. If there is a color needed that Gunze doesn't have a direct match for, they give you mixing percentages. So far they seem pretty accurate.

here are some more colors that i use

Raydome Tan for the 19

Guards Red, for Millia's VF-1J

Insignia red for the red on Hikaru's DYRL VF-1A and S

Semi-Gloss White for Valk white, and the White "Highlights" on Max and Millias VF-1's

All of the above colors are Testors brand Water washup acrylics, i use the water washups because there is minimal to no thinning needed for use with an airbrush.

• 8 years later...

I was searching for paint match on Yamato V2 VF-1 and found this thread from 2004. Any idea what paint should we use to paint match the 1/60 V2 VF-1 line?

DYRL Off White

TV White

Max Blue

Millia Red

CF 1A

CF 1J

VF-1D Orange