First operational "Akira" bike

Akilae

i never realized Kaneda's bike was so slow. 0-60 in 8.7 seconds, there are hybrids that go faster than that thing. The one that the guy built doesn't look proportioned true to the anime and looks like a nightmare to ride. It's a good one off and definitely better than anything most people could build on their own.

I don't think Kaneda's bike was a super bike in the first place. You have to think here, Kaneda's a gang leader, not a multi-million dollar head of a super bike factory. I don't think his bike was meant for extreme racing. Just look at how the seat is positioned, like a low rider/Harley instead of the super bikes requiring the rider to lean instead of sit back.

Also, maybe technology took somewhat of a "dive" for the regular citizens of Tokyo/Japan after WWIII, where all the cool stuff were funded for the government. If you read the manga, there's tons of cool stuff for the military...

So perhaps this bike of his was something he managed to salvage from the WWIII wreckage - who knows.

All in all, it's a semi-decent ride, but a "ricer" at heart.

ALL SHOW, NO GO!

Now if we're gonna talk about Cloud's Fenrir...

P1000023.jpg

Edited by Spatula

The bike would look better in a darker, more metallic red color rather than glossy red in the pictures.  Still, a functional replica of the Akira bike is a fine accomplishment.

369597[/snapback]

Those images need a person in them for getting an idea of size....

Yeah having a functional replica is great, but now it's time to refine it and update the tech to a much higher degree. And having a nice deep slightly cherry red metallic paint would be very sweet indeed!

Go here for additional photos

Go here to be astonished about the price

as far as specs that's probably extra bonus features in the dvd.

369552[/snapback]

thanks for the pics, but I meant "Real world" - :lol: - specs

not that it would matter, that thing couldn't take a turn if your life depended on it

Edited by Nightbat

To have to start up 24 chainsaw engines each time you want to ride that thing must be a bugger.

As for the Akira bike. Here's a couple of pics I found about those support electric engines in the hubs of the wheels that some people were talking about in this tread. These are the invention of this swiss dude. I don't remember where I read the article and get the pics, but I've read that he's already experimenting with possible applications on new vehicles. I don't know about you, but I always dreamed of a segment of sleek streetfighter-style bikes were the rider leans on his back. :)

post-1636-1139801616_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1139801655_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1139801680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

To have to start up 24 chainsaw engines each time you want to ride that thing must be a bugger.

As for the Akira bike. Here's a couple of pics I found about those support electric engines in the hubs of the wheels that some people were talking about in this tread. These are the invention of this swiss dude. I don't remember where I read the article and get the pics, but I've read that he's already experimenting with possible applications on new vehicles. I don't know about you, but I always dreamed of a segment of sleek streetfighter-style bikes were the rider leans on his back.  :)

369681[/snapback]

:lol:

That thing has more problems then the Akira bike! Balance being one of them and another being how poorly the engines tucked into the wheel. A gas leak and fiction later everyone would start calling you "Fireball"!

:lol:

That thing has more problems then the Akira bike! Balance being one of them and another being how poorly the engines tucked into the wheel. A gas leak and fiction later everyone would start calling you "Fireball"!

369706[/snapback]

Balance isn't an issue with that thing (bet it'd be more manouverable than that

tomahog)

What i'm worried about is rear wheel suspension

take that thing for a drive and within 20 miles your engine will be in pieces

because of shock and vibration

ask anyone who has gone from normal to low-height tyres how stiff it feels

this tire has 0 damping in it

though a good shock unit may make it comfortable for it's rider, no way that

engine can survive for long

not to mention that that engine will never cool with it's radiator in such a confined

space, and no forced air-intake for it either

Edited by Nightbat

What is this "Hasting's"?  Is this a particular type of toy/goods store or is it an internet store?

370629[/snapback]

Brick and mortor book/media chain.

370648[/snapback]

Yah, it's like BooksaMillion/SamGoody/Suncoast/Blockbuster rolled into one smaller package. I'm one of the manager's so I got the discount price :D The price is still about $59.99 normal, but I was kinda surprised to see the AC figures there.

Hey I was in Osaka one day and I swear there was a guy which passed me on an Akira bike. It looked significantly small compared to the anime, but nonetheless, I would recognise the design anywhere. He wasn't even going that fast, really, but he still didn't give me time to take my camera out, unfortunately.

OMIGOD that's the guy!! :lol:

Hehe, no, actually I remember it being smaller. I wonder if it was a different type which I saw, then. Hmm. I certainly got the feeling it was a scaled-down version. Then again, I may be misremembering since it took me by surprise.

That looks like the 3rd Akira prototype! Totally sucks sitting up that high though, makes it look like a carny ride. LOL!

There was more then 3 that I knew of and they were all Japan based. One I saw in only it's rough working form(sans body), and damn was that puppy LOW! The guy on it had his legs strenched out and were barely angled. :o

One I saw in only it's rough working form(sans body), and damn was that puppy LOW! The guy on it had his legs strenched out and were barely angled.  :o

370800[/snapback]

Low? or Long?

the greater the distance between the seat and the footpegs, the less your legs

are arched

your footpegs could only go down so far

One I saw in only it's rough working form(sans body), and damn was that puppy LOW! The guy on it had his legs strenched out and were barely angled.  :o

370800[/snapback]

Low? or Long?

the greater the distance between the seat and the footpegs, the less your legs

are arched

your footpegs could only go down so far

370832[/snapback]

Sitting stop during testing.

And yes I know about foot peg arrangement because I used to ride.

<_<

That is fugy. Very fugly! To many sharp edges makes it not flow well. Still gas powered, which is fine for a prototype, but it forces the ride upwards to nearly tradional seat heights which really spoils the aggressive look that the bike would have had.

Though the way it's built suggests that it wants to transform. :lol: Really, drop those front side pieces downwards and slightly back while having a hidden piece extend backwards by 1/3 the length of it's parent. Extend the rear wheel back while the seat moves back and downwards and have the windscreen canopy also move backwards and slightly down while lengthing....... LOLOLOLOL :o:ph34r:

• 1 year later...

The guy who wrote the blog of your first link says that the bike is operational and a licensed product for sale, tho' he also states he can't speak japanese.

The bike looks very close to the Bandai Popinyca toy which was posted in the bike's site. Looks like they used that one as an inspiration. Too bad, I like the comic version better.