Alternate VF-19 FASTpack?

This may have been discussed before, but I don't remember it. If so, I'm an idiot.

Also, I didn't put this into the Games section because it deals more with a VF design and not the gameplay itself.

So, I was watching the VF-X intro and noticed that the VF-19 shown in the beginning is equipped with FASTpacks more akin to the VF-1's than the ugly ones we've come to know and love (or hate).

What's up with that? I've never seen any lineart of these FASTpacks and I didn't see any sketches of them in the Design Works book.

Does anyone have any info on these?

(sorry for the pic quality)

post-2-1080009301_thumb.jpg

Edited by the white drew carey

I've always wondered about those. I love the VF-1 FAST packs, and no FAST packs since have had quite as much punch to them. The VF-11 armour from Macross Plus was the closest, though that armour was still to thin on the legs, and lacked arm armour altogether. I love the big, bulky stuff that just oozes the appearance of additional power.

The Macross7 FAST packs were weak. They looked silly and didn't make the mecha look anymore impressive. I think the whole movement towards sleeker, more ergonimic designs is to blame.

I like the look of these in fighter mode (though they still look a bit on the thin side), but I wonder just how practical they are? Would they be able to fold up backpack-like, such as the VF-1 FAST packs boosters?

i agree. M7 fast packs looked odd in fighter mode, but in battroid, well, all i can say is a wow (in nauseating disgust, of course) M7 mecha designs in general ticked me off because they were all so simplistic and cartoony. you'd think the vf-19g in M7 was the prototype for the more developed YF-19 in Plus. i have seen lineart of a vf-19 with the SW1 fastpacks i shall search.

The actual mecha designs from M7 are filled with Kawamori's trademark greatness, just look at the line art of any of the Macross 7 versions of the VF-19 next to the line art of the YF-19. There's very little difference, and none of that is any sort of dumbing down or simplifying.

However, the animation quality of M7 is far below that of Macross Plus, and the designs in the animation itself were simplified and slightly more cartoony looking (rounded and bubbly).

I also did not care for the Macross Plus FAST packs for the reasons stated in my previous post. They just didn't add much to the fighters.

There's always the M7 episode where Basara puts VF-1 packs on his 19 to play Hikaru in that movie

Those were plastic molded replicas or something like that on the back in that episode. As soon as the Varuta showed up he dumped the prop. They looked like crap on the -19 to boot.

I never quite got that. There were so many VF-1's actually on M7 (in perosnal collections) they could have just used one of those for their little movie. But then again, Basara wouldn't have been able to do his song routine during the fight.

Edited by Anubis

The actual mecha designs from M7 are filled with Kawamori's trademark greatness, just look at the line art of any of the Macross 7 versions of the VF-19 next to the line art of the YF-19. There's very little difference, and none of that is any sort of dumbing down or simplifying.

I once saw in MW the instructions booklet of Valkyrie models, it was Wave's. The credited designer for VF-19Kai is "Kazutaka Miyatake, Shoji Kawamori". VF-17's designer instead was only "Shoji Kawamori".

FV

There's always the M7 episode where Basara puts VF-1 packs on his 19 to play Hikaru in that movie

Those were plastic molded replicas or something like that on the back in that episode. As soon as the Varuta showed up he dumped the prop. They looked like crap on the -19 to boot.

I never quite got that. There were so many VF-1's actually on M7 (in perosnal collections) they could have just used one of those for their little movie. But then again, Basara wouldn't have been able to do his song routine during the fight.

his guitar wouldnt fit in a vf-1 cockpit :D

his guitar wouldnt fit in a vf-1 cockpit :D

True. Couldn't sit Mylene on his lap either.

can we see some pics of these examples people are giving, like the vf-19 with vf-1 PLASTIC packs?

i'd also REALLY like to see the VF-1 from the collectors in macross 7.

pics pics pics

I think the fast packs this VF-19 has are the Atmospheric Fast Packs that were used in Macross 7 Episode 44 - Operation Stargazer. if you look at the back of the fast pack when the VF-19 turns on its engines you can see they look like the back of the fast packs of the VF-11C on this picture

fastpacks.gif

Edited by USCOLMRNE

I think the fast packs this VF-19 has are the Atmospheric Fast Packs that were used in Macross 7 Episode 44 - Operation Stargazer. if you look at the back of the fast pack when the VF-19 turns on its engines you can see they look like the back of the fast packs of the VF-11C on this picture

fastpacks.gif

How come there is no exhaust coming out of the 17 or 19's fast packs there? :huh:

The 11's fast packs have that nice exhaust coming out of them.

That trench run was sweet, btw.

Edited by Anubis

I think the fast packs this VF-19 has are the Atmospheric Fast Packs ...

I would disagree. Those FAST packs are also used in space. I believe they also appear in episode 48, before they fold to Varuata.

Kensei- Nope. The arms that lowers the VF-19 is attached underneath the fuselage, and the arms that grabs it and swing it out grabs it on the topside, There is a brief moment (at least on my video, whcih is too good) where you can see the FASTpacks, which brings me to...

USCOLMRNE- I don't this they are the same FASTpacks that you've referenced. They are definitely more angular than the atmospheric FASTpacks.

I disagree, I mean...well...look at them. The pics up at the top are definitely reminiscent of the VF-1 FAST packs. They are squared, sharp edges, bulky.

The picks you show have FAST packs that are rounded, low-profile, have intake vents, and just generally look very different.

I disagree, I mean...well...look at them. The pics up at the top are definitely reminiscent of the VF-1 FAST packs. They are squared, sharp edges, bulky.

The picks you show have FAST packs that are rounded, low-profile, have intake vents, and just generally look very different.

i feel the same way, i'm thinking they told the modeler, "put the boosters on it"

the modeler not knowing the subtle diffrences between valks probably just used the ones from the show.

it happens sometimes.

i would chalk this up more to ERROR than to mysterious as yet unnamed fast pack

heh, well that was my opinion at first. but not reviewing it looks liek a mix of the old VF-1 fastpacks with the rear end being similar to the VF-11C atmospheric packs. I also have the same question that Anubis has, why didnt the VF-19's ahve it?, my only guess is that the VF-19 is so manuerable , it doesnt need the thrust vectoring :) .

heh, well that was my opinion at first. but not reviewing it looks liek a mix of the old VF-1 fastpacks with the rear end being similar to the VF-11C atmospheric packs. I also have the same question that Anubis has, why didnt the VF-19's ahve it?, my only guess is that the VF-19 is so manuerable , it doesnt need the thrust vectoring :) .

the two screens we see are complete front views of the boosters, how are you saying you think the back looks like something? you can't see the back at all. its a total front view... am i missing something here?

Here's the scan of the line-art pic of the FAST packs. The book seems to mention that they are for the VF-1. Perhaps somebody can translate.

Also, IIRC the FAST packs shown on the VF-19 in the opening movie of VF-X seem to have thrust vectoring flaps.

Graham

Wow... I dig the hell out of those designs, G.

Especially the GBP-like shoulder swivel missle packs. In my perfect world, toys of several different armor concepts would be available for all VF variants. I like the idea of modifying basic valks with tons of varying armor types.

Here's the scan of the line-art pic of the FAST packs. The book seems to mention that they are for the VF-1. Perhaps somebody can translate.

Also, IIRC the FAST packs shown on the VF-19 in the opening movie of VF-X seem to have thrust vectoring flaps.

Graham

Weren't these designs also in Design Works? I'd have to go home to look, but they seem awfully familiar...

Weren't these designs also in Design Works?  I'd have to go home to look, but they seem awfully familiar...

It's the same concept utilized for the Stampeed Valkyrie.

Graham- You're right. The ones shown equipped on the VF-19 do have some type of vectoring flaps!

The plot thickens...

edit- You can't see from the pics I've posted, but the flaps open upwards just as it fires up the engines.

post-2-1080754406_thumb.jpg

Edited by the white drew carey

In the Macross Digital Mission VF-X opening animation, the VF-19A is equipped with a different model of FAST Packs than what the VF-1X Plus is equipped with. The VF-1X Plus is equipped with a micro missile launcher system.

See:

In the Macross Digital Mission VF-X opening animation, the VF-19A is equipped with a different model of FAST Packs than what the VF-1X Plus is equipped with. The VF-1X Plus is equipped with a micro missile launcher system.

See:

See what?

Ditto.

Weren't these designs also in Design Works?  I'd have to go home to look, but they seem awfully familiar...

It's the same concept utilized for the Stampeed Valkyrie.

Graham- You're right. The ones shown equipped on the VF-19 do have some type of vectoring flaps!

The plot thickens...

edit- You can't see from the pics I've posted, but the flaps open upwards just as it fires up the engines.

I told you guys lol back of the fast packs had thrust vectoring and you can see now why at first it looked like the ones from operation stargazer :p