Scale photo gallery

ewilen

Actually...how accurate are the scales pertaining to each model/figure line in relation to each other? Does a 1/48 Valk scale perfectly to a 1/48 Cobra helicopter or a 1/48 tank? Just wondering since the scales are decided by the manufacturer of the model/toy....its bound to be wrong and strange in some instances.

Photoshop job with my cat and a pic taken from Graham's review of the VT-1...

Wacky picture or not, I love that one. It's terrible :lol:.

[Attempting to lend some legitimacy to the post] So, what scale does the cat work out to if the valk is 1/60?

Photoshop job with my cat and a pic taken from Graham's review of the VT-1...

Wacky picture or not, I love that one. It's terrible :lol:.

[Attempting to lend some legitimacy to the post] So, what scale does the cat work out to if the valk is 1/60?

Non-scale! :lol: You wouldn't believe what it costs to feed this guy!

Unicron, eat your heart out!

Seriously though, sorry for taking the pic off subject.

Actually...how accurate are the scales pertaining to each model/figure line in relation to each other? Does a 1/48 Valk scale perfectly to a 1/48 Cobra helicopter or a 1/48 tank?

Well, that's kind of the point: let's try to answer the burning question of "Does a 1/48 Valk look "right" next to a 1/48 Cobra?"

We do know that a VF-1 Valkyrie is actually kind of small as modern jet fighters go--quite a bit smaller than an F-14 Tomcat, for example.

Just wondering since the scales are decided by the manufacturer of the model/toy....its bound to be wrong and strange in some instances.

Well, for real-world stuff, the manufacturer may fudge a little, but the point of putting a scale on a toy or model is to get the linear dimensions as close as possible to 1/n of the real thing. For made-up stuff, "official" stats are often generally available, and the manufacturer should use those as reference.

I've read though that Yamato's VF-11 is actually significantly larger than the 1/72 which is often quoted. And other toys, like the Matchbox 7" destroids and pods, don't have any quoted scale. So you have to measure and calculate. Discussions on MW tend to point to the Yammie VF-11 being closest to 1/60. We also had a couple threads on the scales of the Matchbox stuff here and here. Here's a pic worth cross-linking from there...

Picture by CHAN of a Matchbox (maybe Playmates) Tactical Battle Pod (Regult), which is somewhere between 1/55 and 1/60 scale, with a Yamato 1/48 Max 1A, Yamato 1/60 Max 1J, and a Bandai 1/55 Hikaru VF-1S Strike.

all_post.jpg

Too bad some of the other pics seem to have been taken off the servers where they were hosted. If anyone has those great pics of a Yammie 1D with a pod, please repost them here!

Featured toy here is the Matchbox 6" Armored Zentradi Warrior. From what I've seen, pretty much the only figure from that line that looks halfway decent. Height without helmet comes to almost exactly 15 cm. So what's the scale? Zentradi average about 10 m tall; Kamjin is 11.85 m according to the SDF Macross liner notes (episode 4), while Exedol is 10.15 m. So if this guy is 1/72 scale, his "real" height would be 10.8 m

So let's put him next to a Bandai HCM 1/72 VF-1J...

(Little bit of digital editing to try to make the background contrast with the 1J's head lasers. So if you see any artifacts, that's what it's from.)

post-4-1078639052_thumb.jpg

Edited by ewilen

Look's like Op's gonna with this duel. The 1S's targeting Op's leg while Prime's got a bead on the Valk's noggin.

nah, you have to take into account the random shot gimble featured in all transformers... how else do you account for the fact that they never hit anything?

Vic, what's the toy with your Yamato 1/48 VF-1J? What's its scale (or size). Has it been rescaled n the pic?

Warrhead--I think the Radio Shack R/C Tiger is great! I have a pretty detailed review in the thread I linked above. Price has gone down a couple dollars, I think--now it's just about $30. I'd recommend getting rechargeable batteries for the controller and charger stand, but don't do like I did--I got the batteries and battery charger at RS. You can probably do much better at Costco or Target, etc.

Hi, the car on the "Ad" is a 1/43 scale. I though, the scale would be ok since the car is the first object in the pic anyways.

For the res, thanks for collecting my pictures! That's very flattering. I love takin pics of my toys, and modifying them.

Vic!

Here's one more, with the NSX on the first person.

For more pics, please go to:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...pic=5814&st=20&

post-4-1078695378_thumb.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

That's a really nice picture.

When you're playing around with perspective, it's true that scale isn't quite as important. In fact, you can use things like zoom and "forced perspective" to make things look like they're in scale even when they're very different scale.

Zooming flattens out the picture, making objects on different planes appear closer together than they really are. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of a sunset where the sun looks enormous behind silhouetted people. That effect is accomplished by using a telephoto lens and shooting the people from a long distance.

Vic's picture illustrates another useful effect--the relationship between aperture, focal length, distance to subject and depth of field. By using a relatively wide aperture, Vic blurred the Valk in the background somewhat, for a nice artistic effect.

Compare my picture of a VF-1J looming in the distance from the perspective of the Tiger. I didn't zoom at all, and I selected the smallest aperture possible. The lack of zoom emphasized the distance between the two toys, and the small aperture gave me enough depth of field that both are pretty much in focus--which would usually be the case if the picture were actually taken from several yards behind a real tank. The small aperture required a long exposure, though, so I set the camera on the floor and used the timer to take the shot. I didn't use flash because the battroid would have been completely lost in the gloom. (Flash was used in various "night time" shots for just this purpose--to isolate the near subjects and produce a dark/murky background.)

For the purpose of this thread, if you're going to post up something "extreme", it would also be nice to have at least one picture of the toys side by side--or nearly so, to clearly show the relative size.

Anyway, another picture from an old thread: Jung's 1/48 Legioss (transformable kit by Imai) and Yamato VF-1A Hikaru. From the pinned MPC thread.

bluealpha11.JPG

More info on the Legioss is in this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=0entry24812 (Looks like he sold it.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Going a little outside of the parameters I set in the initial post...oh well.

Here we have an architectural model my wife just did for her class. Scale is 1" = 16', which works out to 1/192. The cars and people are model train accessories--respectively Z scale (1/220) and N scale (1/160). Gerwalk is a K&M gashapon; other mecha are from Bandai mission 2 & 3 gashapon. All are roughly to scale with the buildings, i.e., about 1/200.

post-4-1098259335_thumb.jpg

Edited by ewilen

Another. Some more visible at http://www.modelhangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325

Thanks again, nucleartiger!

ewilen,

nice pic of the VF-1S and the F-14 next to each other.

the 1/48 scales are pretty close actually.

please correct me if i am wrong, and check your sources...

the VF-1 in fighter mode is 14.2 meters in length = around 46.5 feet

the F-14 is 19.5 meters in length = around 64 feet

but, take the actual measurement of the 1/48 vf-1s toy...it's close to 12.5" x 48 / 12 = 50 ft.

i don't mind the discrepancies...these toys are dope!

http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/Veritech/Valkyrie.html

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f14/specs.html

'hope to get some pics of my own uploaded soon...once i get a digital camera. :D

"please oh please, yamato, get that 1/48 GBP-1S or GBP-2X created!"

Looks good, ewilen. I get a kick out of all the civilians who seem oblivious to the fact that they're in the middle of an alien attack. "Forget the giant machines blowing the crap out of everything! I'm reading my newspaper!"

the 1/48 scales are pretty close actually.

please correct me if i am wrong, and check your sources...

the VF-1 in fighter mode is 14.2 meters in length = around 46.5 feet

the F-14 is 19.5 meters in length = around 64 feet

but, take the actual measurement of the 1/48 vf-1s toy...it's close to 12.5" x 48 / 12 = 50 ft.

doodler7,

Nucleartiger took the F14/VF-1 pics, so on his behalf, thanks!

Valk length overall is 14.23 m, which is 46' 8"...

That's 40" short of 50'. At 1/48 scale, the difference is 40"/48 = 5/6". That may be too large for it to be measurement error, but could it be that you are measuring the length of the fusealage from nosecone to the end of the body, leaving off the engines (with nozzles in "closed" position)? Anyway, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not surprising if toymakers take slight liberties with scale.

The definitive/official web source for Macross data is macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nations/variable/vf1/index.html

Looking forward to your pics.

Looks good, ewilen. I get a kick out of all the civilians who seem oblivious to the fact that they're in the middle of an alien attack. "Forget the giant machines blowing the crap out of everything! I'm reading my newspaper!"

:lol:

You may also notice that there's a couple making out on the roof, and another pair of lovers on the corner right next to the Regult.

"Oh, dear, the explosions are beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you!"

"Kiss me, you fool!"

Nice looking model city haha. Now you need to work on those angles and shots. get lower and close to eye level. Think of the way the shots and mise-en-scene the director chose for Macross the TV show when they showed those fight scenes. Then put your camera in the same spot. Its all a matter of scale. I would like to see pics as if Im actually there in the fight as opposed to a birds eye view that I would normally see as if looking at a toy.

Edited by Solscud007