IHP VB-6 Koenig Monster Re-cast Project

trueblueeyes

Carl,

Great idea for custom boxart,

Thanks... still I'd like some way to preserve the original box art. I was hoping for a high quality color scan of the actual box art with the word "recast" added to one of the white areas. Then add some custom art as box side art. Since everyone that purchases this kit has helped make this possible it might be nice to put all of there MW avitars on the box as well. If we want a complete redo of all of the box art may I suggest that a good color scan of the original (again with the word "recast") be used as an insert.

I sent an e-mail in both English and very basic Japanese to "Liquid Stone" immediately after the contact information and have not received any reply yet.

English won't get you a reply. Trust me I've tried many many times myself while he was I.H.P. I have gotten replies to Japanese emails before but even that has been awhile. I feel he's moved on to other things now and it will be hard to get much from him on this topic. But please contine to try... I'd LOVE to be proven wrong.

Yes, I am also hoping that the D-Stance is next kit to turn up, and I would love to have the fastpacks as well. ;)

That will probably require contact be made with D'Stance themselves and its proven even harder to get info from them then I.H.P.

If we decide to go with custom decals for the kit, I'll cover the custom decal commission expense.  Let me know how that sounds, and I would like Devin to make them if he is interested.  Besides just posting, I want to help make this project something special. :)

Thanks... its really nice to see everyone coming together like this.

Carl

Please put me on the list also. I'll also help in finding this kit.

So far, here are some links:

http://www.chara-hobby.com/list/he_list_ma.html

http://www.ni.bekkoame.ne.jp/jet_ryo/read/wf2003w.htm

http://tetchang.hp.infoseek.co.jp/wf2003w.htm

I love these:

wfw20.jpg

wf03w26.jpg

koening.jpg

Just a few more and we've have a nice example of time stop photography.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Carl,

Yeah, you're right about the English, thanks for the advice.

I did send a separate e-mail in Japanese, and included a picture.

Basically, I said in Japanese, "Hello, I am interested in the VB-6 Koenig Monster (IHP) resin kit. Sincerely, Christopher."

Here is a copy, hopefully the translation is not all screwed up, and I hope I relayed the basic premise. With my luck, I probably told him that I'm interested in purchasing his wife or something like that. :p

"Osero,

Koubai 1/100 VB-6 Koenig Monster (IHP) yani kitto.

Kingen,

Christopher"

As I mentioned, someone else is welcome to send a longer more detailed inquiry, but if a short e-mail is not answered, will a longer one be?

Might be worth a shot. I'll be happy with a recast, and I'll send any original info. I get to you Carl. Besides, I doubt I could even afford to buy an original.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

Well I tried the way back machine on the Liquid Stone page and it didn't seem to be anywhere in the archive. I did also try it on I.H.P's web page and found some nice pics. Some of which I haven't seen before.

VF-11fa1.JPG

More pics of this kit can be seen here:

1/100VF-11C Thunderbolt

VF-1(9).jpg

There are more pics of this kit here:

1/72VF-1 Complete Transform

Here is a nice one for our current project:

VB-6.jpg

Here are some more nice links:

1/100VF-1 Armored Valkyrie

VF-19A Excalibur

Here is the pic I mentioned before. I like to call this one "Nice Legs"...

12280041.jpg

That's all I could find. Anyone remember the very nice VT-1 that I.H.P did? I don't believe he ever sold that kit but it'd be nice to find those pictures again.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

I did some comparrisons and measurements and even at 1/100 the IHP VB-6 is at least 10 inches tall in battroid.

Let me repeat that:

The IHP VB-6 is at least 10 inches tall in battroid. :blink:

And that is without the cannon barrels.

It will be @ 12 inches from nose to thrusters in bomber mode.(+)

This going to be F&^%$% Sweet! :lol:

(+)(( The Konig is 29.78 m. long in bomber mode. At 1/100

that is 29.78 cm. / 2.5 = 11.912 inches. And I guarantee that 12

inches of VB-6 will satisfy all my VB-6 needs. ;) ))

Just an idea.  But what does everyone think about running a contest to design the box cover art for the re-cast?  I can find something here to donate as a prize (I find myself opening closets slowly for fear of being crushed under a ton of models and toys anyway).  :wacko:  I can't promise a huge prize but I am sure I can find something new and suitable.  What think?  If you approve, let me know.  We do need a judge though as I don't feel I'm the best judge of artwork (I know what I like but I don't enough about it to adequately judge the presentation. )  If you all approve maybe someone can start a thread and let the folks in the Fan Works section know about the contest.  (which if we go forward might be a better place to start the thread).  Let me get your ideas though before I start any contest.  Good idea or bad?

That a great idea Melissa! I would like to volunteer to be one of the judges.

Edited by Angel's Fury

That is indeed a very good idea.

I'd rather not have the box art be a modified version of the original (i.e., adding the word Recast to it). One thing I like to do with my recasts is change the box art so that is cannot be mistaken as an original kit. Partly so no one can sell one on EBay and pass it off as an original.

Last time, I took Nanashi up on his very kind offer to design all new grayscale graphics for 5 of the 6 sides of my VF-4 box. It's not very flashy at all, but I really like the design he came up with. I think it's pretty classy looking, actually :)

But anyway, I'd like to be one of the judges also. Especially if I get the project :)

That is indeed a very good idea.

I'd rather not have the box art be a modified version of the original (i.e., adding the word Recast to it). One thing I like to do with my recasts is change the box art so that is cannot be mistaken as an original kit. Partly so no one can sell one on EBay and pass it off as an original.

Last time, I took Nanashi up on his very kind offer to design all new grayscale graphics for 5 of the 6 sides of my VF-4 box. It's not very flashy at all, but I really like the design he came up with. I think it's pretty classy looking, actually :)

But anyway, I'd like to be one of the judges also. Especially if I get the project :)

Can you post a pic up of what Nanashi designed for you?

I think Valkyrie makes a good point. No need to obscure the fact that this will not be an original.

I think Valkyrie makes a good point. No need to obscure the fact that this will not be an original.

I agree... still I like the original box art too. However if the feeling is that someone may use it to misrepresent this kit on eBay maybe its best not to include it. I just felt that it should be possible to include a copy of the original clearly labeled that this is a recast alongside some new art. I believe that should make it clear enough to any future owner that this wasn't an original. But if someones intentionally wants to misrepresent this kit on eBay he'd still ba able to as pictures of the original are now posted here. I prefer to believe everyone will play nice but its true there are a few bad apples out there and we don't need to make it too easy for them. I'll leave it to the judges to decide what they think is best.

I've had my Gakken Tread pictures used in eBay auctions before. Still I'm not going to take them down just to keep it from happening again. I got it so I could prove to the world the thing existed and I'm not going to let the bad apples dictate my actions. Oh well... that's just my 2 cents on the subject.

Carl

if we like the original box art, then why don't we remove the color and convert it to a line type drawing, like valkyrie's other vf4?

and maybe, pretty please, with sugar on top...can we get devin to do the decals? he r0x0r$ my s0x0r$

Edited by estacado06479

if we like the original box art,  then why don't we remove the color and convert it to a line type drawing,  like valkyrie's other vf4?

and maybe, pretty please, with sugar on top...can we get devin to do the decals?  he r0x0r$ my s0x0r$

Yes we need someone to think about the decals as well.And devin would be the perfect candidate

Also please put me down for a set as well.

Edited by Rune

I understand what you mean Carl, a lock only stops honest people, and the same goes for box art. ;) It's too bad we even have to worry about that.

I paid for (3) of Blackaces 1/48 Club M Recasts, and I believe the box art and box size was almost identical in size to the original, but I'm not positive.

I can't recall anyone trying to pass off one of his recasts as an original Club M, but it is feasible. Especially since his kit featured white metal parts, photo-etched parts, decals and the parts were nicely casted.

Whichever way it goes, I'll be happy.

Devin is definitely the way to go for decals.

He and I are good friends, so I'll PM him and offer to cover the commission. I know he already has a Minmei Guard commission to do, and a few custom projects, but we are not under a time crunch right now.

Well, Carl potentially has the original/copy clean up mold method covered, Valkyrie has offered to handle the recast, Fulcy has volunteered to locate the screws, Melissa has offered to potentially cover the expense, plus she also mentioned the CD-Rom instructions, and then she offered a prize for whoever has the winning box design. I will cover the decal commission costs and provide a prize for the contest as well.

All we need is someone who has access to some really nice boxes where the front/top cover can be folded open to reveal the contents, and of course someone will have to print the box art in color and glue it to the box.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

Devin is definitely the way to go for decals.

I've been meaning to PM Devin about creating some decals for the project, actually.

The kit came with some decals (I'm told this is the only IHP kit that came with decals, by the way), but it doesn't look like they're too extensive. If there are more that need to be added, I could probably send Devin some casts from the first set of molds to help create (and properly size) the new decals.

All we need is someone who has access to some really nice boxes where the front/top cover can be folded open to reveal the contents, and of course someone will have to print the box art in color and glue it to the box.

I should have the box situation covered, actually. I called the guy who got me my VF-4 boxes today, and he's going to see what he's got in larger sizes.

Valkyrie,

Well, we could ask Devin to provide the original decals, plus different option ones based upon what people want.

I'm not sure what the quality is like with regard to the decals originally supplied with the kit, and with regard to that, I'm referring to the quality of the decal paper, thickness, how well they adhere, whether they'll work on light colored parts, etc..., and also the quality of the original images themselves.

IHP's forte did not appear to be casting so much, all though the detail looks great, and I know the owners kit might have been the last of the batch, plus the kit is a complicated one, so I'm not knocking IHP, because the designs are awesome, but the same may hold true for the original decals. Whereas Devin specializes in decals, so the potential is awesome for us to get decals that do this kit justice.

Devin, if interested in assisting can make various improvements with regard to the details I mentioned, and provide optional marking decals that enhance the appearance, and other decals such as nose art, and so forth for people that want to make a "custom" VB-6.

You are correct in that he will need to have a recast of the kit to even make precise improvements to the original decals (verify that they fit properly and so forth), and he will need the recast to make the other non-original detail and custom decals.

When my 1/48 Club M Blue Roses custom was in progress, part of the (1) year project was mailing the entire resin kit to Devin. He was then able to physically examine the parts, take measurements and verify the fit of decals. Decals have to be made so as to not interfere with the movement of various parts, fit in with panel lines and so on.

I am by no means an expert, but this all makes sense based upon past experience. Devin can of course provide specifics and clarify omissions/errors I made.

It's great that you have a source for the boxes. One less piece in the puzzle to consider. ;)

Later (trying to refrain from Sincerely),

Christopher B))

Hi Everyone,

My gosh! I've been gone for only a few hours and some much has already happened. I'm so glad that everyone is volunteering to see this project come together. What a community :)

As mentioned before, let me know if there is anything else that I can do. Melissa, if you want, I can split the cost of the screw with you, or I can help Carl cover some of the cost for the casting. I can also help Chris with the cost for the decals!

I surely hope that Devin can find sometime to take on this task! The magnittude of this project warrants only the best quality and Devin's decals are the BEST!!! He is currently working on a few projects for me, which I would gladly delay, for the sake of the Koenig!

You guys are awesome!!!

Take Care,

Gene

For me, a freebie recast for the kit provider pretty much goes without saying :)

Ok... maybe its selfish of myself to think of this idea but I just had a thought of a unique way to thank the original kit owner. How about we pitch in and see if we can get his recast finished up by wm cheng? Would wm cheng be interested? Being a kit collector myself I know I'd greatly value one of his finished works and all of us will get the step-by-step guide on how to do this kit justice out of the deal as well.

What do you guys think? The guide itself would also find a permanent home here on Macross World which could be credited to wm cheng and the original kit owner as well.

Carl

For me, a freebie recast for the kit provider pretty much goes without saying :)

Ok... maybe its selfish of myself to think of this idea but I just had a thought of a unique way to thank the original kit owner. How about we pitch in and see if we can get his recast finished up by wm cheng? Would wm cheng be interested? Being a kit collector myself I know I'd greatly value one of his finished works and all of us will get the step-by-step guide on how to do this kit justice out of the deal as well.

What do you guys think? The guide itself would also find a permanent home here on Macross World which could be credited to wm cheng and the original kit owner as well.

Carl

Hey Carl,

I was just thinking the same thing. Only problem is WM Cheng is a really busy man and I don't think it would be likely that he would take the commissioned work ;) I have PM'd him in the past about possibly making a few models for me and he stated that he barely had time to do models for himself :(

It would be awesome if he did take on this project, but if not, I'm sure we can find a few modelers in the forum that can do the Koenig justice.

I have already commissioned Kurt to build the Koenig for me once I get my kit, so I can ask him if he would be interested in building another one for the original owner of the IHP kit.

Well time for bed!

See you all in the AM!

Gene

That would be a wonderful thanks....perhaps if WMCheng can't do it we could commision another one of our very talanted builders and customizers...

MSLZ22

Katakarot (SP )

Jung

(and more I am sure)

I dont know how much it would cost...but if there are 20 or so of us and we each chip in $10....or perhaps a free recast to the builder...

That would be a wonderful thanks....perhaps if WMCheng can't do it we could commision another one of our very talanted builders and customizers...

MSLZ22

Katakarot (SP )

Jung

(and more I am sure)

I dont know how much it would cost...but if there are 20 or so of us and we each chip in $10....or perhaps a free recast to the builder...

I would go in for that.

MW is just dripping with talent, we could start our own company and make a fortune making and selling kits :lol: . That is until HG shut is down :angry: I guess we'd all have to move to the Caymen's, then we'd be untouchable, not to mention tan and happy :lol: .

By the way... its also come to my attention that Liquid Stone *DID* have a whole page dedicated to this kit with pictures and descriptions etc. It was taken down shortly after the event where the kit was sold. And all this time I had been checking I.H.P's page for updates. So what are the odds someone here saw that page and saved those pictures and info. I'd REALLY love to see them.

Carl

I think I found the Liquid Stone page on the Monster after much digging.

Check this out:

A Wonder Fest page on the Liquid Stone site as of Apr 05, 2003

Its missing the pics:

mon-1.jpg

mon-2.jpg

mon-3.jpg

Here was his home page on the same date:

Liquid Stone's home page as of Apr 05, 2003

Its missing the pic 001.jpg

Does anyone here think they might still have these pictures?

Carl

if they are 250 each, why not give cheng or whoever does it, 5 different konig kits, 1 to finish for the donator, and 4 to keep for his or herself as payment? a guy like cheng could make wayyy over 1000 bucks on the turnaround for finished kits, so that would be more than enough payment i should think...

I have already commissioned Kurt to build the Koenig for me once I get my kit, so I can ask him if he would be interested in building another one for the original owner of the IHP kit.

I would be interested in helping out. Let me know what everyone would like to do.

I'm looking for the so and so is the recaster and will be starting x-date.  What the heck is taking so long?

Uhm Dude.

This thread started only nine days ago, please just take deep breathes and try to calm down. We can squeal like fangirls when the kits are in our hands (I actually may...).

Edited by Chindenathus