IHP VB-6 Koenig Monster Re-cast Project

trueblueeyes

Actually, the pics Carl posted were of his original Tread kit, not my recast  :p

Doh...

Doing my best to sound like Homer Simpson.

He's right. I've got two originals and I'm not sure what I was thinking. I passed the first and picked up the second thinking (this one must be the recast). Your box was squarer I think wasn't it Valkyrie? Back to do some digging and taking some more pictures. I'll just replace the earlier ones to save space when I've got them. Valkyrie if you're work is better now PLEASE feel free to post some more current pictures. I didn't know you were unemployed I don't think. I was just in that boat myself. Believe me I've got a full appreciation of your situation. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help please email me.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Ok... I've now got pictures of the CORRECT kit up this time. Sorry about the screw up. As for my recomendation, its really hard for me to say. I'm sure both can do and fantastic job and I'm sure we'll all come out winners with either Valkyrie or "the other guy". Valkyrie being unemployed I suspect could give us faster turn around as "the other guy" is usually rather busy. Valkyrie is able to be a bit more open here in the forums about this project then "the other guy" so I'm sure that's worth something to everyone here.

Ok and I have just today gotten confirmation that the VF-4 that "the other guy" has available to recast is the 1/100 kit. He had a 1/72 kit but sold it some time ago. He's also told me he's busy doing taxes right now and hasn't had a chance to check out this thread in detail yet. He said he will and will get back to me next week.

The best of both worlds to me would seem to have Valkyrie do either the VB-6 or the 1/72 VF-4 and have "the other guy" do the other. That way we'll get more current comparisons of each of their works in the hands of other members here and even more informed decisions can be made in regards to any future kits. Its just a thought.

Oh and Valkyrie... I've been asked this question "There was some concern with Valkyrie as to whether he had a pressure pot for casting." I'll let you answer that one. I believe the answer is yes but I'd much rather have the answer given first hand.

Carl

That certainly helps ChristopherB. One thing though, should our fellow MWer's vote for who will do whatever kit or it's up to you and Melissa to decide?

Hello Angel's Fury,

No, I'm not worthy with regard to that decision. :p

Actually, it is up to the owner of the kit first and foremost to decide who gets to recast his kit, but I'm sure Melissa will have some input, and Carl has been gracious enough to cover the mold costs if the preferred original clean-up method is used.

Carl,

You can at least spell "Homer's" name right. ;) Poor guy gets no love. Or maybe Homor Simpson is his gay brother from San Francisco.

Not that Valkyrie needs our charity or anything like that, but he has done a good job in the past, he is out of work and the money probably couldn't hurt, plus he has plenty of time on his hands to dedicate to the project, and he's shown that he is capable/talented enough to handle this kind of task.

How much time can the other person you know Carl dedicate to this project, keeping in mind that you mentioned his other resin kit aspirations?

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

Carl has been gracious enough to cover the mold costs if the preferred original copy clean-up method is used.

That's not quite what I said. I'm willing to do that too if the owner of the kit agrees his original can be cleaned up. However I think that is very unlikely. If I were him I'd perfer to keep it as close to its original condition as possible. What I had said was if the parts had to be cast... and the cast parts cleaned up... I'd cover the cost of the SECOND set of molds.

You can at least spell "Homer's" name right. ;) 

Spelling not Homer's best subject... even when it comes to his own name. Doh!!

How much time can the other person you know Carl dedicate to this project, keeping in mind that you mentioned his other resin kit aspirations?

A great question... I honestly don't know. I'm trying to get an answer but I doubt I'll get that answer today. Whatever that answer is I suspect its a safe bet he doesn't have as much free time as Valkyrie does at the moment. What I'd also like to see from him is a cost estimate like Valkyrie has been nice enough to give. I haven't got that yet either. However this goes I'm sure it will be hard to go wrong with either of them and I'd also like to consider both of these guys as my friends. So I'm doing my best not to step on either of their toes. I just want what's best for this project and I'm just wanting to put options on the table.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Oh and Valkyrie... I've been asked this question "There was some concern with Valkyrie as to whether he had a pressure pot for casting." I'll let you answer that one. I believe the answer is yes but I'd much rather have the answer given first hand.

I do. I have both pressure casting and vacuum casting setups.

Here are a couple quick pics of some of my more recent casts

post-3-1078863189_thumb.jpg

It's nice to be discussing the actual project again. :D

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Hello Everyone,

Man I am so glad that we're back on track! My offer still stands, so let me know if there is anything I can do to help speed this project along.

I can't believe that we're so close to making the Koenig a reality. This is a great time in WM. This just proves that a community of liked minded individuals can accomplish the impossible.

As far as choosing the recaster. I guess that's really up to the owner of the original IHP kit. But If I had to vote on who gets to decide, I would leave that up to Carl, Christopher, and Melissa. Seems like they're the experts in that field and I would gladly support their decision :p

These are awesome times guys & gals so lets all rejoice and enjoy this experience!

Take Care,

Gene B))

I'm trying not to get too excited. :unsure: I've been drooling over this kit for a long time.

It's still a bit unbelievable to me that everyone pulled together and we went from "pipe-dream" to choosing a recaster in one week. Simply amazing. :)

Edited by tom64ss

"Carl has been gracious enough to cover the mold costs if the preferred original clean-up method is used."

Carl,

Sorry about that, I got rid of the extra word, and it should be right now. ;) Either way of you, it is cool of you to offer.

Valkyrie,

I was wondering about whether you had the pressure and vacuum casting setup, and appreciate you letting us know. That will definitely make a big difference, prevention air bubbles and also getting a high level of detail from the molds.

I have a question for you. If Carl will not cover the mold costs because the owner will not allow his original to be cleaned up, I presume that the cost will have to be passed on to each customer, unless you already anticipated that contigency.

If not, please let us know how much you anticipate the price per item to go up.

We can always hit up Uncle Money Bags, my good friend Gene, and if he agrees, then perhaps he could be enticed with access to the first possible recast, which is what Carl would get if he were to finance the cost. Something to think about.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

We can always hit up Uncle Money Bags, my good friend Gene, and if he agrees, then perhaps he could be enticed with access to the first possible recast,

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Oooo 1st dibs :unsure: Hey whatever it will take to get this project going. Just let me know what the cost will be and the time frame.

/gene

P.S. do you guys remember who baught the built Koenig that Shawn was selling during the original recast release? And do we have any pictures?

"Carl has been gracious enough to cover the mold costs if the preferred original clean-up method is used."

No... you are still confused. I'll try to spell it out again. There are 3 ways this can go forward.

(1) The original can be recasted as is. And parts from those original molds can be sold. One set of molds... no clean up.

(2) The original can be cleaned up. Molds made. And parts from the original molds can be sold. The parts that are cleaned up belong to the original kit.

(3) The original can be recasted as is. Parts can be made from that first set of molds and those parts can be cleaned up. After those parts are at their best ANOTHER set of molds is made and its parts from the second set of molds that are sold. The parts that are cleaned up are NOT part of the original kit.

I'm willing to cover some of the costs if either mentod 2 or 3 is used. Considering the state of this kit I doubt most would be happy if there wasn't any clean up performed at some point in this process. So option 1 is the only one I'm not wanting to pour money into.

With option 2... if the kit owner is willing to let his original kit be altered, I'll cover the cost of the first (and only set of molds). I highly doubt this in the direction we will go as it will cause delays in him getting his kit back not to mention I think it would hurt the value of the original.

With option 3... and this is what I originaly proposed... I'll cover the cost of making the SECOND set of molds. I offered to do this as that way the final kit cost (or atleast that part due to materials) won't be any higher then option 1, the cheapest way to go. It is still more work for the recaster as parts will need to be cleaned up so he may want to charge a little more for his time. I want just wanted to help keep the cost of materials down.

All that said I'm about 99.9% sure the way this project will go forward is option 3.

Was I clear that time...

Carl

Question. How long will these be available? I have been interested in all three kits for awhile and am have rough financial times. Will these molds be available for awhile?

That's probably a question best answered by the recaster. If option 3 (above) is used I'd suggest the recaster hold on to the parts made from the first set of molds that he cleaned up. That way he should be able to make more molds in the future if need be. However its all up to him if he wants to deal with that. Its not very cost effective to make kits like this just one or two at a time.

Carl

As far as choosing the recaster. I guess that's really up to the owner of the original IHP kit. But If I had to vote on who gets to decide, I would leave that up to Carl, Christopher, and Melissa. Seems like they're the experts in that field and I would gladly support their decision

:p:D I'm certainly no expert! I just happened to be in the right place at the right time! You can really say that the kit found me! :) I made the post which the owner happened to see and graciously offered his kit as a loan. If you want to thank someone, thank him! (and the re-caster that takes on the project)

I do know that Valkyrie is a talented re-caster who certainly has the time for the project. (sorry to hear that he is out of work, but maybe one of the projects can allow him a little extra money and there might be a bit faster turnaround on getting the kit into our hands) I don't know the other re-caster at all, but if Carl trusts him then I know we can too. As long as it isn't in the hands of an unknown (Tanmen debacle) then I am fine with it. That said...It isn't up to me. It is up to the owner of the original VB-6 kit. I want him to make the decision and be comfortable with it. After all, it is his expensive kit we are going to be re-casting. It would be nice that if one re-caster does the VB-6 kit then the other can do the 1/72 VF-4 so we can have both kits available in relatively short order. But again, not my decision. I don't want to pressure the owner. I just want him to have the info and have him make the decision.

That said, the owner of the original VB-6 now has Valkyrie's contact info... and I know he has contacted Carl as well so he has access to both possible re-casters. Let's be patient and see where it goes from here. :) But we are now well on our way to having the kits available!

And I would like to again thank first and foremost the owner of the kit, all of the MW members who expressed interest and made the project possible, and both of our re-casters for being willing to take on the project. :wub: Let's give credit where credit is due and without all of you it wouldn't be happening. I just had a dream, but it was really luck (how lucky are we that the owner happened both to spot the thread and be willing to help?!?) and the skill of others that helped to make it a possibility! Thanks all!!

Sincerely,

Melissa

As for the screws, I would definitely want to include them.  I always thought it was kinda rude for IHP to not include them, thus leaving his customers on thier own to find them.  Even if he lists a source.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find them (or at least SAE screws that would be compatible) through domestic industrial supply companies like Grainger or McMaster.  I wouldn't want to throw you all to the wolves like IHP did :)

I've messaged Melissa about this already, but I'll post it here too. I'm not too sure if I'd be up for one of these guys, but I'd be willing to help out with sourcing the screws - I'm sure I could get them from McMaster, either Metric or suitable SAE replacements, that should be cheaper than any source that doesn't deal in hardware (and I also have some hardware specific suppliers that may be cheaper than McMaster - depending on quantity). It'll at least help Valkyrie out, with not having to do ALL the work.

Jung, here's Valkyrie's and Fulcy's input on that question...

Did the original kit include metal pins and screws?  And will they be provided for the re-casted version?

I am not sure about metal pins. The VB-6 kit requires screws to complete but did not originally come with them. Whether or not to include them with the re-casts will up to whomever does them, with the cost effectiveness and desires of the MW members factored in as well I'm sure...although Valkyrie has indicated he would like to include them which would be nice!

Now I know for sure that the VF-4 originally came with metal landing gears so I don't know what to tell you there. It is a real possibility that they will have to be cast in resin and will of course lose some of their strength...and I really don't

know what can be done about that. :unsure: Probably a question best answered by our re-casters.

:p ...Exo beats me to the draw! ;)

Edited by trueblueeyes

My input:

1. Is the megazone re-cast a fairly recent representative of Carl's anonymous caster's work? If not, how about something more recent?

2. Based on 1, if the re-cast is recent, I would vote for Valkyrie to take on the project due to current quality, availability and accessibility. I would still put the nod towards Valkyrie for availability and accessibility.

3. How much would the 1/72 VF-4G re-cast kit cost? Was Valkyrie's quote of ~ 250 for both the VB6 and VF-4G each or just for the VB6?

4. OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each? After D'Stance's YF-21 of course. :D

I love community effort and this is one of the best examples of enthusiasts getting together for the greater good of our hobby. Bravo Melissa, Gene, Carl, Valkyrie, Unknown Caster, Mr Anonymous and Christopher.

How much would the 1/72 VF-4G re-cast kit cost? Was Valkyrie's quote of ~ 250 for both the VB6 and VF-4G each or just for the VB6?

That was the quote for the VB-6 Koenig. I don't believe we have a quote yet from either re-caster for the VF-4.

OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each?

I don't know if Valkyrie still has the molds from the Tread anymore, but it is a beautiful kit. I have one and I love it and have even used it to work on my own little project! ;)

As for the Garland...God I hope so! I'd love to have one of those!

About D'Stance's YF-21: I know individual efforts to contact him have gone unnoticed. I wonder if we can get a list of all those interested and pay a small fee (which I would be glad to cover) to get the monkey, imode, or another person who can write Japanese with some fluency to write to him for us. Maybe if he is contacted and knows that enough people want a kit he might be realize it is worth his time to work out something with us. I'm certainly not promising results but it couldn't hurt to try as he doesn't respond to individual requests but might for a larger group of customers.

3. How much would the 1/72 VF-4G re-cast kit cost? Was Valkyrie's quote of ~ 250 for both the VB6 and VF-4G each or just for the VB6?

The $250 was just for the Monster.

The VF-4 kit actually doesn't look too bad, from a casting perspective. Only 89 parts, plus screws. Lots of the parts are pretty small (which, for me, is a good thing). The only part that looks at all challenging is the fuselage.

I'm guessing that if I did it, it'd have about a $120 price tag on it.

4. OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each? After D'Stance's YF-21 of course.

Like I told someone else in PM earlier today, I still have the Tread molds, but I'm really in no hurry to make more of them. Both because they're a pain in the ass to cast from, and because they wouldn't be any better quality than the ones I made 2 years ago.

About D'Stance's YF-21: I know individual efforts to contact him have gone unnoticed. I wonder if we can get a list of all those interested and pay a small fee (which I would be glad to cover) to get the monkey, imode, or another person who can write Japanese with some fluency to write to him for us. Maybe if he is contacted and knows that enough people want a kit he might be realize it is worth his time to work out something with us. I'm certainly not promising results but it couldn't hurt to try as he doesn't respond to individual requests but might for a larger group of customers.

I have two friends who are fluent in English and Japanese. I can help with the translation if I have the actual message you want sent to D'Stance. I'll contact them and see if they can help out so don't hold me to this yet.

Carl,

It's not a matter of confusion, but it's just that I succinctly stated in one short sentence what took you several paragraphs. ;)

Both your option #2 and #3 involve either the original Monster, or the original cast made from the original Monster being cleaned up and then sold. Hence my, "original" clean-up method.

It's the same process I used when you lent me your 1/100 VF-1AG around (8) months ago, and it is the best way to go, based upon the condition of the original. The end result is of course less work for the customer because the finished product is of higher quality. It is definitely the best way to go, and worth the added expense.

Well, Gene is on-board to help with the costs, so that is another route open to us as well if Carl decides not to cover the expenses.

He is just waiting on Valkyrie to explain the cost difference between someone sponsoring the mold making portion of the project.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

The VF-4 kit actually doesn't look too bad, from a casting perspective.  Only 89 parts, plus screws.  Lots of the parts are pretty small (which, for me, is a good thing).  The only part that looks at all challenging is the fuselage.

I'm guessing that if I did it, it'd have about a $120 price tag on it.

That sounds like a great deal! I'll take 2!

4. OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each? After D'Stance's YF-21 of course.

Like I told someone else in PM earlier today, I still have the Tread molds, but I'm really in no hurry to make more of them. Both because they're a pain in the ass to cast from, and because they wouldn't be any better quality than the ones I made 2 years ago.

We can re-visit this after the VB6 and VF-4G are out of the way. Thanks again for letting us know. Now I need to sell more blood and put the dough into my "Valkyrie Re-cast Fund". :D