IHP VB-6 Koenig Monster Re-cast Project

trueblueeyes

Valkyrie,

Thank you for answering my previous question about whether someone signs on to pay the initial costs.

I completely understand, and I'll be glad to help out as well if you get the project.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

You know Carl, Valkyrie's recast is way better than megazone's, based on the pics you provided.

There are some small air bubbles in both the kits I photographed. Also keep in mind the original KIP Megazone kit is a very rough old variable kit. It required ALOT more work then the relatively clean much newer non-variable Tread kit. I'm very happy with the quality of both kits. One other thing... I probably photographed the worst parts of each kit so I could be sure some defects would show up on film. But all in all... especially if Valkyrie now feels he can do even better... I'd have a very hard time taking a postion against anyone that says he may very well be the best man for the job. And believe me I don't want to put myself in that position. Both of these recasters do outstanding work.

Carl

Now I know for sure that the VF-4 originally came with metal landing gears so I don't know what to tell you there.  It is a real possibility that they will have to be cast in resin and will of course lose some of their strength...and I really don't know what can be done about that.

When we get to that point I'd suggest someone talk to Noel. He's recasted metal parts in metal before. I personally don't have one of his 1:48 VF-1S recasts but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I believe he also duplicated the photo etched parts as well... not that any of the kits we are currently talking about has photo etched parts. Just pointing out he's a resource that might be able to help.

Edited by wwwmwww

I expressed interest earlier in a post and was included in the list as maybe. After all this excitement, I'm pumped so count me in for one of the VB-6's and one of the VF-4's for sure. Thanks and I can't wait till the details get hammered out.

Any idea once a recaster is picked and the molds are done, how long it'll take to crank out some recasts? What I mean is: if there are like 30 VB-6's are ordered by everyone, is it going to take a matter of weeks or months to fill all the orders? Just curious, thanks.

2. Based on 1, if the re-cast is recent, I would vote for Valkyrie to take on the project due to current quality, availability and accessibility. I would still put the nod towards Valkyrie for availability and accessibility.

3. How much would the 1/72 VF-4G re-cast kit cost? Was Valkyrie's quote of ~ 250 for both the VB6 and VF-4G each or just for the VB6?

4. OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each? After D'Stance's YF-21 of course. :D

I love community effort and this is one of the best examples of enthusiasts getting together for the greater good of our hobby. Bravo Melissa, Gene, Carl, Valkyrie, Unknown Caster, Mr Anonymous and Christopher.

1. Is the megazone re-cast a fairly recent representative of Carl's anonymous caster's work? If not, how about something more recent?

Its the most recient thing I have of his. I believe its about a year old or so. I got it though Noel if anyone here can remember exactly when Noel was offering these for sale here.

I would still put the nod towards Valkyrie for availability and accessibility.

I tend to agree. The quality issue is about a draw in my mind. There is one other reason unrelated to quality/availability/accessibility where the "other guy" might have a leg up on Valkyrie. The owner of the VB-6 is aware of what that is... but I'm not sure how to tell the rest of you without telling you who he is.

OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each?

Noel... or anyone else here remember what the Garland recast sold for. I think it was in the $200 +/- $50 range. As Noel was the official outlet for these last time I'd suggest if there is interest we give him a list and he might be able to get it filled. I must admit I haven't ask him about this hit in a while. It may be possible that he has a few now but I sort of doubt it. Everyone that's asked me about this kit in the last year or so I've sent in his direction. I see valkyrie has ask ready answered the Tread part of the question.

Valkyrie... if down the road you want to borrow the original again so you can make better molds I'll be happy to help. However lets put this somewhere on the list AFTER the VB-6, VF-4... and hopefully D'Stance YF-21.

Carl

How much would the 1/72 VF-4G re-cast kit cost? Was Valkyrie's quote of ~ 250 for both the VB6 and VF-4G each or just for the VB6?

That was the quote for the VB-6 Koenig. I don't believe we have a quote yet from either re-caster for the VF-4.

OT but... Can re-casts of both the Garland and Treads be made available sometime down the line? And of course, how much each?

I don't know if Valkyrie still has the molds from the Tread anymore, but it is a beautiful kit. I have one and I love it and have even used it to work on my own little project! ;)

As for the Garland...God I hope so! I'd love to have one of those!

About D'Stance's YF-21: I know individual efforts to contact him have gone unnoticed. I wonder if we can get a list of all those interested and pay a small fee (which I would be glad to cover) to get the monkey, imode, or another person who can write Japanese with some fluency to write to him for us. Maybe if he is contacted and knows that enough people want a kit he might be realize it is worth his time to work out something with us. I'm certainly not promising results but it couldn't hurt to try as he doesn't respond to individual requests but might for a larger group of customers.

As for the Garland...God I hope so!  I'd love to have one of those!

Where was everyone when Noel was selling these a year or so ago? If we can get enough people together that want one I'd think we'd be able to get some more from the same place I got mine. If not and someone wanted to recast my recast we could try that too down the road. Just lets not get too many things going all at once.

About D'Stance's YF-21:  I know individual efforts to contact him have gone unnoticed.  I wonder if we can get a list of all those interested and pay a small fee (which I would be glad to cover) to get the monkey, imode, or another person who can write Japanese with some fluency to write to him for us.  Maybe if he is contacted and knows that enough people want a kit he might be realize it is worth his time to work out something with us.  I'm certainly not promising results but it couldn't hurt to try as he doesn't respond to individual requests but might for a larger group of customers.

Great idea... lets try anything and everything. Is there a way we can get a moderator or someone with access to the old forums to dig out the contact info for the guy that won Noel's auction for the one he sold? I know he posted in one of my old D'Stance threads. That's the only lead I have on an actual kit at the moment. Still I'd prefer to get D'Stance talking to us. That's the only way to get the fast packs too.

Carl,

It's not a matter of confusion, but it's just that I succinctly stated in one short sentence what took you several paragraphs. ;)

Both your option #2 and #3 involve either the original Monster, or the original cast made from the original Monster being cleaned up and then sold. Hence my, "original" clean-up method.

It's the same process I used when you lent me your 1/100 VF-1AG around (8) months ago, and it is the best way to go, based upon the condition of the original. The end result is of course less work for the customer because the finished product is of higher quality. It is definitely the best way to go, and worth the added expense.

Well, Gene is on-board to help with the costs, so that is another route open to us as well if Carl decides not to cover the expenses.

He is just waiting on Valkyrie to explain the cost difference between someone sponsoring the mold making portion of the project.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Hence my, "original" clean-up method.

Ok... the confusion was on my end. Just so long as we are on the same page. I took "original" clean-up method to mean the original kit would be cleaned up.

The end result is of course less work for the customer because the finished product is of higher quality.  It is definitely the best way to go, and worth the added expense.

I agree 100%. Which is why I was wanting to help so I could help assure this was done the right way. Since it is an added expense I just didn't want that keeping anyone away so I offered to do what I could.

if Carl decides not to cover the expenses.

I'm not planning on going anywhere. Let me take that back... I'll be moving to Mississippi in just a matter of days and I'll be slower to respond during that time. But I'll be here. I've been here at Macross World for 5 years now. I don't plan on shooting myself in the foot now. If we go the two mold method which I think we probably will, if Gene wants to help I'm more then happy to let him pick up the cost of the first set of molds.

Carl

Here is an idea I wanted to throw on the table... has anyone given any thought to the box art for the VB-6 recast project? Noel has an original copy of the boxart and our kit owner I'm sure does too. At a minimum I'd want a color copy of that with the word RECAST added someplace. Better yet we do that AND add something original made just for this project. Maybe to be used as the box side art. This is the first big Macross Fan by the fan/for the fan recasting project that I'm aware of. I'd like a way to refect that on the box art. Something like take everyone's Macross World's avitar that gets on the official order list and stick them on the side of the box with the Macross World Logo. I'd also like something special acknowledging the original kit owner for allowing his kit to be recast and something for the recaster for the time and effort the he'll put into this kit. That might be hard to do if one or both don't what their name known. Maybe we could have them pick an alias.

What do you guys think?

Carl

Carl,

Fantastic idea on the box art. I guess we were all wrapped up with funneling resources to get the casts going, we forgot about that! Thanks for bringing it up.

I don't know if we should have the MW logo there just in case a few sets get re-sold. It would great as a personal collector item but I would think the potential affiliation of MW officially supporting re-casts would dim our presence in Big Wests and Studio Nues' eyes.

Perhaps re-worked or MW Edition would suffice. The word re-cast and MW should not be included together whatsoever on the box. Either one is fine.

I hope the box art is not going to add another 10 bux to the kit already.

Carl,

Fantastic idea on the box art. I guess we were all wrapped up with funneling resources to get the casts going, we forgot about that! Thanks for bringing it up.

I don't know if we should have the MW logo there just in case a few sets get re-sold. It would great as a personal collector item but I would think the potential affiliation of MW officially supporting re-casts would dim our presence in Big Wests and Studio Nues' eyes.

Perhaps re-worked or MW Edition would suffice. The word re-cast and MW should not be included together whatsoever on the box. Either one is fine.

I hope the box art is not going to add another 10 bux to the kit already.

Damn Neova! You stole my thunder! I was gonna say that.

HOLY crap! I WANTS THE YF-19 FROM SHAWN'S LINK!!!!!

Since IHP is now working for Yamato.... could this be the new resculpted YF-19?????

vinnie

What link are you looking at? Is this the YF-19 that you see?

6th.JPG

I think justvinnie was refering to this one (check out the link). It's the far left one.

http://switchblade.ddo.jp/sb/html/event_di...02W/WF2002W.htm

Edited by Angel's Fury

I think justvinnie was refering to this one (check out the link). It's the far left one.

Ok... that is a kit he sold at a wonderfest back in 2002. Shawn and I and I think a few others were able to get a few of those through Seiichi (I think it was him) while we were still in direct contact with I.H.P.

Carl

Ok... that is a kit he sold at a wonderfest back in 2002. Shawn and I and I think a few others were able to get a few of those through Seiichi (I think it was him) while we were still in direct contact with I.H.P.

Carl

Just out of curiousity, does it transform perfectly from one mode to the other or is it just in battroid mode?

Just out of curiousity, does it transform perfectly from one mode to the other or is it just in battroid mode?

Its a variable kit. In fact I *think* the one picture I posted that I pulled from I.H.P's homepage is a picture of the same kit in fighter mode.

i have a question and i'm embarrased to say that i'm too lazt to go back and re-read the topic, what scale is this badassed beauty anyway? and no, i don't mean melissa...(but for the record, i understand that she is 1/1), i mean the monster...

1/100 scale...

post_8_80265_DSC01391.jpg

post-3-1061912004_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that Liquid Stone is stated on the actual box art twice. So... did I.H.P

become Liquid Stone? Anyone have any idea why the name change. Has anyone been able to find any info on this kit on the Liquid Stone link given several pages back. I looked a little bit but wasn't expection to see anything as I knew the kit was an I.H.P kit. Now I think I need to go back and check again.

Carl

so who's recasting it?

I suggest someone from the states recast it...as if we have to send it overseas to get recast...all those recasts will be sent back to us with shipping costs...and we all know how much shipping from asia can be...even in bulk, one person has to get it all, then resend ALL packages to individual persons.

it's not like we can't find a decent recaster here in the states...and I'm thinking majority of the ppl who want one are in the US right?

I don't know if anybody has suggested this but rhoby does very good work and he works fast. anybody tryin PMin him to see if he's interested?

I work at Kinkos and would be all to glad to have the prints of the box art made for A REALLY CHEAP PRICE :D If anyone wnats to design it and throw me a PDF or whatever.

Anyone interested  Please PM me

I'd be glad to cover the printing costs if it helps keep costs down. I think Carl has a really great idea here. Why don't all you graphic art geniuses start designing and let's come up with something really memorable! :)

I had a talk with hubby tonight and thought I would mention one more way I would like to help. The owner is being kind enough to loan an original kit ...and both Carl and Gene are offering to help with mold costs. I haven't really done anything (but had a stroke of luck with what started as a "fishing thread"...lol) . So here is what I propose: If we do include screws with the VB-6 Koenig Monster kit, I am pretty sure I can cover the cost of them (no matter which re-caster we choose). Should help keep costs down a little. Just something to consider.

I'd also like to thank Carl for bringing up something that has been on my mind: Namely, what can we do to honor and thank the original owner for the loan of his kit? Suggestions would be welcome because I feel we do need to do something. What think all? :) You should already have an idea of how nice the owner is by his loaning a valuable and rare kit for re-casting but here is another tidbit: He doesn't even want to be re-imbursed for his shipping expenses for the original kit! (of course, that doesn't mean I'm not sending him a money order tomorrow anyway! :p ) So really whatever else we can do to thank him we really do need to!

Thanks,

Melissa

Edited by trueblueeyes

We send him one of the recasts in the box designed by us MW folks with a list of people (By login) saying thanks, printed out and folded up inside the box.

Just a thought.

I agree that he definetly deserves a free re-cast of his kit. I'd actually like him to have the first one (although that isn't really up to me). I just wish there was more of a way to say thanks. I wonder if we could have some sort of thanks on the main page...although I don't want to cause Shawn, Graham, or MW any problems because of the re-cast so these are just random thoughts. Something to think about at least...

I had a talk with hubby tonight and thought I would mention one more way I would like to help. The owner is being kind enough to loan an original kit ...and both Carl and Gene are offering to help with mold costs. I haven't really done anything (but had a stroke of luck with what started as a "fishing thread"...lol) . So here is what I propose: If we do include screws with the VB-6 Koenig Monster kit, I am pretty sure I can cover the cost of them (no matter which re-caster we choose). Should help keep costs down a little. Just something to consider.

Just let me know what screws you need, and I can get them for this project!

I had a talk with hubby tonight and thought I would mention one more way I would like to help.  The owner is being kind enough to loan an original kit ...and both Carl and Gene are offering to help with mold costs.  I haven't really done anything (but had a stroke of luck with what started as a "fishing thread"...lol) .  So here is what I propose:  If we do include screws with the VB-6 Koenig Monster kit,  I am pretty sure I can cover the cost of them (no matter which re-caster we choose).  Should help keep costs down a little.  Just something to consider.

Just let me know what screws you need, and I can get them for this project!

As soon as I find out the sizes, I'll let you know. Thanks for the help Rob! :)

We send him one of the recasts in the box designed by us MW folks with a list of people (By login) saying thanks, printed out and folded up inside the box.

Just a thought.

I agree that he definetly deserves a free re-cast of his kit. I'd actually like him to have the first one (although that isn't really up to me). I just wish there was more of a way to say thanks. I wonder if we could have some sort of thanks on the main page...although I don't want to cause Shawn, Graham, or MW any problems because of the re-cast so these are just random thoughts. Something to think about at least...

For me, a freebie recast for the kit provider pretty much goes without saying :)

Just an idea. But what does everyone think about running a contest to design the box cover art for the re-cast? I can find something here to donate as a prize (I find myself opening closets slowly for fear of being crushed under a ton of models and toys anyway). :wacko: I can't promise a huge prize but I am sure I can find something new and suitable. What think? If you approve, let me know. We do need a judge though as I don't feel I'm the best judge of artwork (I know what I like but I don't enough about it to adequately judge the presentation. ) If you all approve maybe someone can start a thread and let the folks in the Fan Works section know about the contest. (which if we go forward might be a better place to start the thread). Let me get your ideas though before I start any contest. Good idea or bad?

Hey melissa, in case I haven't posted yet, put me down for a kit (maybe 2, we'll see)

As for a way of thanking the original owner, what about some kind of hand written thank you, with signatures from everyone who bought one? It might take a while to ship it from person to person, but it'd be really cool, and a very personal item.

Just a thought.

Brad

Carl,

Great idea for custom boxart, and a custom decal set wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've been planning the same thing as discussed in the 1/48 VF-1AG thread, from about (8) months back.

Sell the kit as a package deal, to include a nice box, box artwork, assembly instructions, decals and so forth. It's the only way to go, and it increases the intrinisc and sentimental value as well, plus distinquishes it from the original release.

I sent an e-mail in both English and very basic Japanese to "Liquid Stone" immediately after the contact information and have not received any reply yet.

I also sent a separate e-mail with a picture of their display and the VB-6, just to make sure they knew what I was talking about. It was very basic, short, polite and to the point. I'll post if I get a response, but a more detailed e-mail with better Japanese can be attempted, but if they don't respond to a simple one, perhaps a longer one won't make a difference.

Yes, I am also hoping that the D-Stance is next kit to turn up, and I would love to have the fastpacks as well. ;)

Sometimes being too brief can be confusing, but I do know that I completely agree with you about the casting method.

Melissa,

A contest is a great idea, and I'll be happy to include a nice prize as well for the winner if that is the route we go with it.

Fulcy is a great resource for the screws, and I appreciate him offering to help.

Thank you also for covering the cost of the screws.

If we decide to go with custom decals for the kit, I'll cover the custom decal commission expense. Let me know how that sounds, and I would like Devin to make them if he is interested. Besides just posting, I want to help make this project something special. :)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

Here is something I could offer in the long term. I would be happy to offer him some web space where he could showcase his collection and remain anonymous if he'd like. It will take me a while between starting a new job, moving, and getting my own collection up. Also at the moment I'm up myself on space Shawn has given me but I hope to fix that before I put all of my own stuff up. Its just a thought.

By the way... its also come to my attention that Liquid Stone *DID* have a whole page dedicated to this kit with pictures and descriptions etc. It was taken down shortly after the event where the kit was sold. And all this time I had been checking I.H.P's page for updates. So what are the odds someone here saw that page and saved those pictures and info. I'd REALLY love to see them.

Carl

Hey melissa, in case I haven't posted yet, put me down for a kit (maybe 2, we'll see)

As for a way of thanking the original owner, what about some kind of hand written thank you, with signatures from everyone who bought one? It might take a while to ship it from person to person, but it'd be really cool, and a very personal item.

Just a thought.

Brad

Would it be easier to handwrite them and then scan and send them to a MW Member that is close to him? That member can add all those signatures to a thankyou letter.