Q-Rau Review Now Up

Graham

as usual...with every new release come the complaints <_<

yeah, all opinions that disagree with yours are just so much mindless, pointless bleating.

People can make valid points about the good quality of new Yammies such as "it rules"

but no one could possablly point out negatives... they must be just saying "no, no, I DON'T LIKE ANYTHING"

I really think 120usd is way too expensive. It might not seem that much when compared to the 1/48 VF-1, but thats because the 1/48 VF is already really pricy.

Seriously, 120?? (ignore the other yamato toys and out of production vintages) for a mass produced plastic toy is steep. Not saying that people are dumb if they buy it, but for guys like me with limited funds, its really out of reasonable reach.

Just like a Ferrari or Porsche, nice. But average joe here can't afford it. Bummer.

Were you all complaining this much before it came out?

We all knew the price. Whats changed? Did you really expect more in the toy?

What could they have added to justify the price you were already aware of?

And as for Millia not being poseable, yeah that sucks, but for a while there I think most people thought there would be no pilot included at all.

It's just as good as I expected. More that I expected actually.

It gets my thumbs up.

as usual...with every new release come the complaints  <_<

yeah, all opinions that disagree with yours are just so much mindless, pointless bleating.

People can make valid points about the good quality of new Yammies such as "it rules"

but no one could possablly point out negatives... they must be just saying "no, no, I DON'T LIKE ANYTHING"

Trust me I've been hard on Yamato before and I'm sure this release will have a few quirks. I believe I called the YF-21FP a piece of crap last week lol

Trust me I've been hard on Yamato before and I'm sure this release will have a few quirks. I believe I called the YF-21FP a piece of crap last week lol

Ditto. If I see legitimate complaint issues, I have no problem addressing them. I don't see any here this time.

I love my yf-21... it has at least one more thing going for it than the Q-rau has.

And as for Millia not being poseable, yeah that sucks, but for a while there I think most people thought there would be no pilot included at all.

It gets my thumbs up.

-when I saw the protos I was really excited, then they announced the price and I was like, it better have some cool gimmicks...then you get a review like that...how can I not complain?

-yah, no gimmicks, simple easy design, no diecast...all explained before.

-whatever that was missing from above question...and even if they added a poseable figure, diecast, and a crazier looking sculpt, I'd STILL have to consider if it's worth it or not at $120.

-no figure=definite no buy...but even now with a figure...heh, not gonna buy it.

It gets my thumbs up.

-glad you like it, LMK how good it looks standing next to your Takara Convoy(if you have one, not sure if you're a fan) or your fully transformable 1/48 Valk.

I love my yf-21... it has at least one more thing going for it than the Q-rau has.

is it diecast??? let it be diecast!!! :lol:

I picked up the 21 for $55...and thought that was fair, even tho I didn't like the thing. and I'll gladly pick up the q-rau for that price too.

-yah, no gimmicks, simple easy design, no diecast...all explained before.

-whatever that was missing from above question...and even if they added a poseable figure, diecast, and a crazier looking sculpt, I'd STILL have to consider if it's worth it or not at $120.

I would get one if it had just ONE of those missing features... just pic one of the things that this toy is lacking and that can be THE straw that broke the camel's back.

They can charge what they like, and before anyone says it this is in NO way like Toynami releasing that tiny ass Alpha for 80 bucks.

HA! Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? By even saying it, you're acknowledging it IS the same! In fact, this is far worse, since this toy costs a lot more, has zero diecast, *and* doesn't transform.

But, heck, I'm buying the Q-Rau, and I'm buying the Alphas too. I've got the money and I'm a slave to this crap. I just hope you remember your new 'enlightened' perspective next time you're tempted to flame Toynami regarding the Alphas. :rolleyes:

Features, sculpt, size and poseability are as expected and acceptable. Materials are OK but having diecast in the lower legs might have provided better balance. In lieu of ballast, perhaps a stand for 'spacecraft style' posing would have been great. However, the hefty price tag doesn't seem right to me, so it'll definitely be on the wait-and-see list instead of 'buy-it-now'.

is it diecast??? let it be diecast!!! :lol:

I picked up the 21 for $55...and thought that was fair, even tho I didn't like the thing. and I'll gladly pick up the q-rau for that price too.

die cast is one thing it has going for it. I don't understand why everyone is so anti-diecast now... the diecast content isn't the reason for the 21's floppiness. and no one has complained about scratchin' the paint on the yf-21 (that argument is saved for the yf-19)

ever since Yamato decided to use only plastic... anyone who likes diecast metal toys is some stupid idiot.... "look at the stupid fanboy who still likes die-cast metal... Yamato's already told him that it sucks... if he can't accept lack of metal as a feature, how is his simple mind going to be able to accept the idea of limited poseability, inaccuracy of sculpt of a non-transformable toy, and compromises wherever any part is supposed to move as reasons to continue to pay more and more $$$ per toy?"

I know some are complaining (valid complaint)about the price and I'd like it cheaper too but aren't any you aware that the US dollar is weak againt the Japanese Yen. Has been for awhile. A year ago this probably would have been 15.00 cheaper.

retail = 12800 yen. roughly $117 as of today.

few months back when dollar was strong against the yen...exchange rate was about $1/118 yen....this woulda cost $108...about a $9 difference. hmm, still not worth it to me.

and the Yen is getting weaker again, only a few weeks ago it was at $1/105 Yen...compared to 109 Yen recently.

Edited by Eternal_D

They can charge what they like, and before anyone says it this is in NO way like Toynami releasing that tiny ass Alpha for 80 bucks.

HA! Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? By even saying it, you're acknowledging it IS the same! In fact, this is far worse, since this toy costs a lot more, has zero diecast, *and* doesn't transform.

But, heck, I'm buying the Q-Rau, and I'm buying the Alphas too. I've got the money and I'm a slave to this crap. I just hope you remember your new 'enlightened' perspective next time you're tempted to flame Toynami regarding the Alphas. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Toynami=crappy quality (though they may surprize us this time), and 80 bucks for that tiny thing vs 115 for the HUGE well-made Q-rau is a big difference.

It's not flaming Toynami, it's the truth.

Edited by Anubis

die cast is one thing it has going for it. I don't understand why everyone is so anti-diecast now... the diecast content isn't the reason for the 21's floppiness. and no one has complained about scratchin' the paint on the yf-21 (that argument is saved for the yf-19)

ever since Yamato decided to use only plastic... anyone who likes diecast metal toys is some stupid idiot.... "look at the stupid fanboy who still likes die-cast metal... Yamato's already told him that it sucks... if he can't accept lack of metal as a feature, how is his simple mind going to be able to accept the idea of limited poseability, inaccuracy of sculpt of a non-transformable toy, and compromises wherever any part is supposed to move as reasons to continue to pay more and more $$$ per toy?"

hey, I like diecast! I may be a stupid fanboy but if try to take advantage of my fanaticism, then you can expect a swift kick in the groin. :D or at least see one of my fingers pointed straight up towards you, I'm not going to tell you which finger tho. ;)

Toynami=crappy quality (though they may surprize us this time), and 80 bucks for that tiny thing vs 115 for the HUGE Q-rau is a big difference.

that "huge q-rau" is barely bigger than a toynami Vf-1.

Exactly as big as it should be at 1/60. To add the (inaccurate and QC-ridden) 1/55 MPC to this mix is invalid.

And with that, I'm done arguing.

Edited by Anubis

Meh. Diecast was cool and all, back when I was a kid and every toy was potentially a weapon to be thrown at my little brother. Today, I can really live without it. Give me a toy entirely molded in one color anyday, as opposed to parts painted to match plastic. And as far as the $$$ is concerned, collectors should just resign themselves to forking over large amounts of it every time. That's sadly the nature of the hobby.

And as far as the "innacurate sculpt" is concerned, the only difference I've seen pointed out was the changed cockpit. For all we know, that may have been mandated by Kawamori. That whole biomechanical aspect of Zentradi mecha only appears in DYRL, and he may very welll have retconned it back out of continuity.

Toynami=crappy quality (though they may surprize us this time), and 80 bucks for that tiny thing vs 115 for the HUGE Q-rau is a big difference.

Exactly as big as it should be at 1/60. To add the (inaccurate and QC-ridden) 1/55 MPC to this mix is invalid.

maybe I'm the only one who's read the pinned "what's wrong with my..." thread (doubt it) but Yamato doesn't EXACTLY have a great QC record... in fact, personally, the one toynami I was fooled into buying (didn't think my judgement of it was fair if I didn't have one... HA!) didn't have any quality control issues... and the Q-rau's sculpt is inaccurate... backpack is augmented to accomodate the pilot figure... pilot has wrong uniform... interior is SDF macross, exterior is DYRL?

don't get me wrong, the toynami still sucks... but so does this Q-rau. Maybe it sucks slightly less, but it more than makes up for it in overprice.

EDIT: also, you can buy 2 20th anniversary Optimus Primes for the price of this 1 figure.

you go dr clay preach on brother. I can't belive they the killed the diecast and dude last i recall it was way bigger then that . I am no its not fair to compare it to the convay but every since they made that thing and can sell it for roughly 60 bucks i am begining to question all my purchases that and the escaflowne 48 dollars looks wonderful. But yamato basicly has a monopoly so hey the laws of suppy and demand apply. like any compny they got to find ways to minimize costs hence no diecast, mac zero reduced in size and nolonger a perfect transformation but its also cheaper so you might be able to let that slide. buy the way great debate lets keep it clean and enjoy sharing ideas. thanks guys

If "high quality" means "falls apart as soon as it's removed from the box" as has been the case with several Yamato releases, then I hope Toynami sticks to "poor quality". ;)

Anyways. I buy both Yamato and Toynami, so I'm not gonna fight over Yamato, which has produced some really beautiful items.

Graham,

Great review. This is my first 1/60 and despite the non-articulating figure and limited posability, the fit and finish is top notch for a toy. Definately a keeper next to my Valkyries until Yamato releases a 1/48 version with MORE details and improved articulation.

/wishful thinking mode off.

I hope the YEN would drop some more so it can more satifying for everyone, even with all of the discounts we see, including mine.

I took some box shots next to my1/48 VF-1S Hikaru Box so folks can get an idea. I know, late to the party. ;)

post-4-1077948667_thumb.jpg

Graham,

Great review. This is my first 1/60 and despite the non-articulating figure and limited posability, the fit and finish is top notch for a toy. Definately a keeper next to my Valkyries until Yamato releases a 1/48 version with MORE details and improved articulation.

/wishful thinking mode off.

I hope the YEN would drop some more so it can more satifying for everyone, even with all of the discounts we see, including mine.

I took some box shots next to my1/48  VF-1S Hikaru Box so folks can get an idea. I know, late to the party. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

the q-rau box is smaller than the elint/super-o box, except in depth of course. behold the power of not wasting space in the box

Edited by Anubis

the q-rau box is smaller than the elint/super-o box, except in depth of course. behold the power of not wasting space in the box

I'll agree with you there, the Q-rau appears to have the best box Yamato has ever put forth. :D

Well Graham, I been looking at all this reviews, and I can say thank you, I'm waiting by my mailbox already for my Q-Rau, excellent review, and stop the madness, nobody can start judging the toy just by picture, let's see the opinions later

Peace :angry:

EDIT: also, you can buy 2 20th anniversary Optimus Primes for the price of this 1 figure.

Comparing the price point of the Masterpiece Convoy/Prime to the Q-Rau is a bit unfair.

Transformers has a far bigger fan base than Macross and it's a safe bet that Takara/Hasbro's production run has been far, far larger than Yamato's. The larger the production run, the lower the per unit cost and selling price can be.

Takara/Hasbro have probably made at least 100,000pcs of the Convoy/Prime (if not more) and while I can't reveal the actual production run figures for the Q-Rau, it is considerably smaller quantity by a huge margin.

Graham