Q-Rau Review Now Up

Graham

:( I was so excited about this toy, I couldn't wait... and now I'll have to keep on waiting. No wonder Yamato didn't want any reviews published before the toy's release. It's the same tactic movie and videogame destributors use when they know their product is sub-par.... force reviews to be held back until after release so that people won't make informed decisions about whether to buy. when I heard it was out, it was all I could do not to put my order in at BBTS! I'm glad I waited. If the price drops to about $50 or less I might pick one up.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED, dammit!

:( I was so excited about this toy, I couldn't wait... and now I'll have to keep on waiting. No wonder Yamato didn't want any reviews published before the toy's release. It's the same tactic movie and videogame destributors use when they know their product is sub-par.... force reviews to be held back until after release so that people won't make informed decisions about whether to buy. when I heard it was out, it was all I could do not to put my order in at BBTS! I'm glad I waited. If the price drops to about $50 or less I might pick one up.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED, dammit!

So what exactly did you find wrong with it, or is this just the usual bitchiness?

I can see nothing to detract from this at all, in fact I want mine NOW.

The size looks dead on (31 cm is about exact based on the compendium's DYRL height measurement), and both the sculpt and detail are awesome. I never expected Millia to be articulated, and for a fixed pilot she looks very well done (a removable hemlet would have been nice but this makes variants much easier).

I am very pleased to hear that it is good and stable. And posable enough for a good display.

This is the kind of pic I was waiting for to see, though mine will be combat posed:

comparison-4.jpg

Yeah it's a little pricey, but so are the 1/48's. Transformation argument aside, these things have as much if not more plastic than the 1/48 VF-1, as has less variants possible to produce, and is still a complex machine. My Max -1S 1/60 is waiting.

Now I need a Regult from Yamato.

Edited by Anubis

wow, you guys must be rich gettin ready to pay for a hunk of plastic that's not even transformable. designed with CAD or not...I don't find the price of this thing is justified. The Miria figure is not poseable(what's the point of having it removable?), problems with stressing, no diecast, parts swapping, flawed desgin(non-DYRL cockpit), and the price are giving me a real diffiult time to find money for this thing. $120? I'd rather buy myself another MPC Convoy.

For retail, I think it's a rip off...do I want one, yes...but only if price comes down to about $65-$70.

but thanks for the review Graham. I know you want to stay on Yamato's good side, but I really think they're taking advantage of the fans on this one. $120...pshh...

Nice review and pics.

BTW, Excellent idea displaying that Banpresto Miria figure in front!!

Unfamiliar with that figure series, but excellent idea. (did I already say that?!? :p )

:Dmiria-6.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

In all honesty, how else were they supposed to do the knee joint missle pods?

If they were the opening variety, it would have meant less solid (or fixed) knees. Then there would have been cause to complain.

Edited by Anubis

Nice review. :)

So what exactly did you find wrong with it, or is this just the usual bitchiness?

no one can be disappointed with anything?

Essentially, Graham's review is influenced by two ways of thinking... Like all reviews ever, it makes a subjective judgement. Paraphrase: I LIKE IT!

but like all good reviews [which this is DEFINITLY a good review (no one misunderstand)] it makes objective points about its subject. Paraphrase: Slightly smaller and less intricate with less features than Hasbro's 13" Darth Vader action figure, but for 6 times the price!

I love the 1:60 line despite what everyone else says about it, I was about to die waiting for this toy... but I was expecting too much, die cast metal (Iknow what everyone thinks of horrible, horrible metal, but I love it) keeping the metal parts in the legs using ratcheted joints, the center of gravity would be low and help balance, even the 1:60 scale hip joint problem could be easily avoided in such a large, non-transforming toy by 2 or 3 ratched joint mechanisms in the hips. At least as much articulation as the 1:48 int battaloid mode... even if it were all plastic and not very articulate, if it was a big as it was in the prototype pics (as compared to 1:60 Roy) I would understand the price and buy it up quick... but it has been scaled down (look at Graham's comparison pics, and read how scale is not listed) and it doesn't even have the ability to open its missile pods (I know that would be a feat of engineering, but look at the 1:48 and its MANY amazing engineering feats, that's why the 1:48 is worth the price)

but hey, you're right! if i don't like being disappointed then I am a bitch. And if I explain my reaction... that's just more bitchiness. And if I don't pony up $120 for this 11" plastic action figure, then I am an idiot.

EDIT: also, you can buy 2 20th anniversary Optimus Primes for the price of this 1 figure.

Edited by DrClay

no one can be disappointed with anything?

Essentially, Graham's review is influenced by two ways of thinking... Like all reviews ever, it makes a subjective judgement. Paraphrase: I LIKE IT!

but like all good reviews [which this is DEFINITLY a good review (no one misunderstand)] it makes objective points about its subject. Paraphrase: Slightly smaller and less intricate with less features than Hasbro's 13" Darth Vader action figure, but for 6 times the price!

I love the 1:60 line despite what everyone else says about it, I was about to die waiting for this toy... but I was expecting too much, die cast metal (Iknow what everyone thinks of horrible, horrible metal, but I love it) keeping the metal parts in the legs using ratcheted joints, the center of gravity would be low and help balance, even the 1:60 scale hip joint problem could be easily avoided in such a large, non-transforming toy by 2 or 3 ratched joint mechanisms in the hips. At least as much articulation as the 1:48 int battaloid mode... even if it were all plastic and not very articulate, if it was a big as it was in the prototype pics (as compared to 1:60 Roy) I would understand the price and buy it up quick... but it has been scaled down (look at Graham's comparison pics, and read how scale is not listed) and it doesn't even have the ability to open its missile pods (I know that would be a feat of engineering, but look at the 1:48 and its MANY amazing engineering feats, that's why the 1:48 is worth the price)

but hey, you're right! if i don't like being disappointed then I am a bitch. And if I explain my reaction... that's just more bitchiness. And if I don't pony up $120 for this 11" plastic action figure, then I am an idiot.

not exactly. i was kinda skeptical with the 1/48 when it came out (stupid me!!) with little die cast. i was wrong, but i think it took me actually getting my hands on one to know that i loved it (or hated it, whatever the case may be). sure its a lot of cash, but i think saying that its a POS is a bit premature if you don't have it sitting in front of you....

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

I think it worth it considering there is no other Q-rau toys out there. That alone makes it rare.

You can't swing a Gunpod without hittin' a VF. Those are all over the place, so naturally the price is lower.

My two cents.

not exactly. i was kinda skeptical with the 1/48 when it came out (stupid me!!) with little die cast. i was wrong, but i think it took me actually getting my hands on one to know that i loved it (or hated it, whatever the case may be). sure its a lot of cash, but i think saying that its a POS is a bit premature if you don't have it sitting in front of you....

i acknowledged the 1:48ths greatness, it's not JUST the lack of diecast metal... It's the fact that this toy (according to Graham's list of "features" and KakiZaki's hand's on post) doesn't hold a candle to the 1:48 in battaloid mode, even if the 1:48 DIDN'T transform it would be larger and more poseable (and according to kakizaki, able to maintain balance better)

everyone acts like the 1:48 is great BECAUSE it has no diecast metal (and ONLY because it has no die cast metal) but I say that there are other factors that make the 1:48 sooo great and this toy looks to not have any of them.

but yeah... I'm jumping to conclusions, I can't make a decision based on Graham's review... I must lose $120 before I can know that I wasted $120 on this pre-made, barely painted, inaccurate model kit.

I think it worth it considering there is no other Q-rau toys out there. That alone makes it rare.

You can't swing a Gunpod without hittin' a VF. Those are all over the place, so naturally the price is lower.

My two cents.

uh, yah that's called price gouging...and if you like being taken advantage of...well then, I don't need to tell you about my bridge that's for sell.

it's like there's no other toy out there like it, or it's rare...so they can charge more for it??...just like scalpers...damn i hate scalpers...yamato better get on the ball cuz i'm beginning to feel the same way about them...macross toys or not.

People forget how much is paid for the resin kits or statues I have seen people snatch up. A lot of those you have to build yourself (power to those with the skill and desire to do it). How much are club -m's and studio half-eye's going for. They kick ass and people are willing to pay the premium price to get it. I would never dare touch one, I would never get it right. I can do Master Grade Gundams, made a Perfect Grade Eva-01, but would never dare touch a garage kit or a hasegawa for that matter. This thing is completed, very well detailed, and ready out of the box. I think it's worth it. Just like the 1/48's. I find them prohibitively expensive with fast packs, so I only have one FP set and two valks. 3 if they make a CF. Many here are going to pay 350 in one shot to get Max and Millia 1/48's. I'm not. Yamato can charge what they want, and the "if you don't like it don't buy it" rule applies. We knew the Q-rau was going to be expensive for the simple fact of the tooling and the size involved. No surprize. I almost forked over 80 bucks for a Yomiko Readman statue last week, 1/6 scale.

We all have our opinions on what we are willing to buy at what price. $40 for 1/60 GBP armor is a little pricey as well. But worth it for one good set of armor finally. Yamato is Yamato, and not Bandai or Takara. They can charge what they like, and before anyone says it this is in NO way like Toynami releasing that tiny ass Alpha for 80 bucks.

To each their own.

For me, look at the side by side with the 1/48 and tell me it's not worth it.

Edited by Anubis

...I would understand the price and buy it up quick... but it has been scaled down (look at Graham's comparison pics, and read how scale is not listed) .....

Too true.

The sculpt in the Aug-03 DH magazine is much taller. SEE HERE

That was a sculpt PROTOTYPE. Of course it was bigger than the actual. If that was the original size, the scale was way off because this is as big as it should be.

Once again, at the 18.8m height measurement from the compendium:

1880cm x (1/60)=31.33cm

Edited by Anubis

I looked at it, it's not worth it.

If you hold this toy to the same satndards as the 1:48 it is sorely lacking.

Once again, to each their own.

People forget how much is paid for the resin kits or statues I have seen people snatch up.  A lot of those you have to build yourself (power to those with the skill and desire to do it).  How much are club -m's and studio half-eye's going for.  They kick ass and people are willing to pay the premium price to get it.  I would never dare touch one, I would never get it right.  I can do Master Grade Gundams, made a Perfect Grade Eva-01, but would never dare touch a garage kit or a hasegawa for that matter.  This thing is completed, very well detailed, and ready out of the box.  I think it's worth it.  Just like the 1/48's.  I find them prohibitively expensive with fast packs, so I only have one FP set and two valks.  3 if they make a CF.  Many here are going to pay 350 in one shot to get Max and Millia 1/48's.  I'm not.  Yamato can charge what they want, and the "if you don't like it don't buy it" rule applies.  We knew the Q0rau was going to be expensive for the simple fact of the tooling and the size involved.  No surprize.  I almost forked over 80 bucks for a Yomiko Readman statue last week, 1/6 scale.

We all have our opinions on what we are willing to buy at what price.  $40 for 1/60 GBP armor is a little pricey as well.  But worth it for one good set of armor finally.  Yamato is Yamato, and not Bandai or Takara.  They can charge what they like, and before anyone says it this is in NO way like Toynami releasing that tiny ass Alpha for 80 bucks.

To each their own.

uh...resin casts of the qrau is expensive because there's probably like 500 of them made...and they're not machined but hand carved and hand casted(correct me if I'm wrong). The yamato qrau is computer designed(mouse click here n there), mass produced(at least in the thousands), and is made of plastic(do you knwo how cheap plastic is?).

yah we all have our opinions...and you can buy whatever you want with your money. But I'm with DrClay here...this thing is not worth the price it's being offered at.

and what details are you guys talking about? I see a few panel lines, some thrusters, a couple missles...and that's about it. compared to the detail of the 1/48...the qrau looks like a toynami MPC(ok not that bad....

Edited by Eternal_D

as usual...with every new release come the complaints <_<

Just to add. Its obvious some of our members don't understand currency exchange rates. The US dollar is weak vs the Japanese yen right now. Has been for awhile.

Edited by dejr8bud

but yeah... I'm jumping to conclusions, I can't make a decision based on Graham's review... I must lose $120 before I can know that I wasted $120 on this pre-made, barely painted, inaccurate model kit.

You know....it sounds to me like you're in the wrong hobby. I'd try suggesting a new one, but I honestly don't want to sound like I'm flaming you.

uh...resin casts of the qrau is expensive because there's probably like 500 of them made...and they're not machined but hand carved and hand casted(correct me if I'm wrong).  The yamato qrau is computer designed(mouse click here n there), mass produced(at least in the thousands), and is made of plastic(do you knwo how cheap plastic is?).

yah we all have our opinions...and you can buy whatever you want with your money.  But I'm with DrClay here...this thing is not worth the price it's being offered at.

and what details are you guys talking about?  I see a few panel lines, some thrusters, a couple missles...and that's about it.  compared to the detail of the 1/48...the qrau looks like a toynami MPC(ok not that bad....

I'm not being fished into an argument today.

I like it, therefore I will buy it.

Someone doesn't like it, they don't have to buy it. Like everything else out there.

Edited by Anubis