Game Boy Game Recommendations?

trueblueeyes

Just got a Platinum GBA SP from hubby for my birthday and I love it! Small, cute, and with a backlight...thank you Nintendo for saving me from eye strain!

The only two games I have so far are Tetris Worlds and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Just wondering if I can get some good game recommendations. I pretty much like all genres...from RPG's, platformers, shooters, RTS, you name it...fighting games are the only thing I don't much care for. Sorry, my soul doesn't burn! :p

Also, wondering if I should get a link cable for my GC. Any advice about Nintendo's connectivity push? (And any games that truly fit the bill?)

What about other accessories? What do I need? ....Are there cases one can find for the GBA games? (I think it sucks those don't come with the games!) What about batteries? ...Is there some battery setup that can give a longer gaming time? Headphones so I can game in private on flights? Even heard about something that turns a GBA into a radio. And what about the rumours of a device that allows the GBA to be used as an MP3 player? You get the idea, so help me accessorize! What new toys do I need to compliment my newest toy?

Anywho, please help me out fellow MW'ers!!

Thanks In Advance!, :)

Melissa

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=3628

And frankly, as much as I wanted to like it, FFTA really sucks. It was fun for a few hours, then suddenly got really really tough and stupid if you didn't micromanage everything *just right*. I hate micromanaging.

King of Fighters EX2 is really good, if short (except you don't like fighting games =P). And so far Sonic Battle is good, but it's kinda overly tough in spots... and has the tendancy towards the micromanaging thing I hated about FFTA.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Thanks for the link sir...you rock!!! :)

You're quite welcome :)

Unfortunately, I've found GBA games plain lackluster. As much as I enjoy oldskool sidescrollers and stuff, something about the games on the GBA just don't appeal to me... Of course, it doesn't help with the GBA's obvious bent towards "family entertainment" but I just haven't found any games for the GBA I could truthfully call "good".

But don't let me stop you... You might enjoy them :) I got burnt out of the GBA RPG scene by FFTA, but I might pick up another one like Fire Emblem or Sword of Mana (mostly that one because I remember the original SNES versions of the Mana games) or Golden Sun just because that was more what I was looking for when I picked up FFTA... FFTA is all turn based battle and no real RPG... I needed adventure and roleplaying, not micromanagement and frustrating battles with stupid rules.

Vostok 7

A suggestion that might not be on an older list is Metroid Zero Mission. If you like platform adventure games, it's definitely something to check out. My current top 3 reccomendations would be:

Metroid Zero Mission (platform/adventure) - The best 2D Metroid game since Super Metroid. Lots of exploration, and a great, moody atmosphere. There's really not much that needs to be said. It's everything Fusion should have been, and more. It still makes things too easy by telling you where to go at certain points in the game, but it's also still open ended if you find the tricks needed to fight the bosses out of order, and open up secret areas. Hard mode is also a lot more of a challenge, unfortunately you have to play through the game once on 'normal' to unluck it.

Advance Wars 2 (strategy) - Nifty amd addictive little strategy games. Both Advance Wars 1 and 2 have nice characters, generals who add special abilities and faults to their armies, simple yet attractive graphics, catchy music and excellent gameplay. Advance Wars 2 doesn't att much upon the original game, but it does add a couple of new items, one new unit, and several new map items such as indestructible barriers, and rocket silos. Two of the best strategy games to come out for any platform in recent years.

Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire (RPG...sorta) - The Pokemon franchise catches a lot of flak due to it's popularity with little kids several years back, but I've found it's actually an addictive and fun little game. It's not really story intensive, like most RPGs, it's more about leveling up your characters, finding secret items, and working out battle strategies, as certain monsters are stronger or weaker against others. The new Gamecube game that's coming out will also let you transfer over your GBA critters and have them duke it out with Cube-quality graphics, as well as a new single player game on the Cube.

Working for a major videogame retailer, I can tell you I've played most of the GBA games to be released. Some have been good, some bad, and some not too bad but overly generic, ala most of the SNES's lineup. But here's the short list of must-have games for the GBA-

Megaman Zero

Megaman Zero 2 (I love all Megaman games, but for non-Mega fans, the Zero series is simply the best)

Metroid Fusion (call it linear if you must, it was still fun)

Metroid Zero Mission

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (All three are excellent, but Aria was the closest to Symphony, and the GBA Castlevania I reccomend the highest)

Wario Ware Inc: Micro Mega Game$

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past w/ Four Swords

Sonic Advance 2

Aside from those, I'd also suggest Yu-Gi-Oh! World Wide Edition: Stairway to Destined Duel if you at all familiar with the card game. It doesn't really have anything to do with the plot from the anime/manga. It's basically just the card game, with the official rules.

As far as link cables go, I say pick up third party after market cables, maybe even used ones, and only after you find games that need them. I mean, I got a GBA to GBA cable for free, but I've yet to use it, even after I got a second SP for my wife. I got a GBA to GC link cable after I got Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion, and I did use it to unlock original Metroid and the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime. And that was the end of it. I did not use it to take Chao from my Chao gardens in the Sonic Adventure games and put them in Sonic Advance 2, because I didn't bother with the Chao is Sonic Adventure 2, and because even if I did, the Tiny Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure 2 is a waste. And despite all Nintendo's hype, I can't think of a single (useful) case of GBA to GC connectivity beyond unlocking stuff in Metroid Prime (which I could have done with an Action Replay, in any case). Oh, and before anyone says anything about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, let me just point out that FFCC is a mediocre game at best that isn't really even a Final Fantasy game... SquareEnix just slapped the FF name on it because they know ravenous fanboys and fangirls would buy it up for the name alone that way.

I haven't played much of CC yet, but it seems like a fun Mana-esque style game and the use of the GBA for all of the in-game menus, to keep the action going, is a very nice touch. You're right, though, that overall the Cube/GBA link is underused. However, it's practically guaranteed that there will be a similar connection option for Metroid Prime 2/Metroid Zero Mission. Using Pokémon Box to store Pokémon on a Nintendo memory cart is a nice idea, too. Other than Crystal Chronicles, though, Pokémon Colosseum is probably the biggest thing as far as the GBA link goes.

Unfortunately, most companies have been reluctant to take advantage of the link up abilities, or made them gimmicky at best. Nintendo is really pushing companies to do more, though. The new 4 Player Pac-man game seems like one of the best attempts. I'd love to get that as a party game. The idea is that one person plays as a 3D Pac-man on the tv, only able to see part of the maze, while the other three players control the ghosts, and see the entire screen old school arcade Pac-man style. Simple, but could be a lot of fun with enough people.

Jsut got Metroid Zero Missions. If you are a fan of the Original Metroid and Super Metroid you will like this one. This blows Super Metroid out of the water in terms of graphics. Nintendo did a great job with this one.

Any of the Super Mario Bros. Games

Super Mario Advance 1: Super Mario 2

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3

Super Mario Bros Super stars is a similar to Mario RPG. Lots of fun in that too.

Man Vostok, you don't got the skillz! Once, the laws in FFTA stopped me from using anyone but my archer. The rest got cut down and I spent the next hour on the run with my archer... I finally killed them in the end. It was awesome.

I know, I suck :lol: I get enough people telling me that all the time :p

Vostok 7

i like metroid zero alot but i think the pirate mothership part is bit too short.

sword of mana is not bad.

edit: not sure theres a radio but i know theres a tv tuner and movie player accessory for them for the mp3 guess the movie player might work for that but if you have a flash cart and want to have like 1 song you cant live without guess that can work for you.

Edited by Zentrandude

QUOTE (Hikaru Ichijou @ Feb 23 2004, 04:04 PM)

Holy Smokes! No one's mentioned the GBA game with Macross in it: Super Robot Wars D!

They have one? Do you mean M7?

Yeah but the problem with SRW D is you can't buy it in stores here. And yes it has M7 not macross but don't let that stop you i mean you get max and Millia in VF-22's.

As for games

Lufia 4- Ruins of Lore not quite as good as 1 and 2 (the best game ever) but still a great game but a bit hard at parts. STAY AWAY FROM THE THIRD ONE FOR THE GBC!!

Megaman Zero 1 and 2- Megaman done a bit differently but still fun (second one SO much better then 1)

Sword of Mana- WOW this game is SO good its a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure (which was never a FF to begin with) but adds SO much to it like a actual plot numerous mini quests, REALLY good graphics played Seiken Desetsu 3 yeah that quality not quite legend of mana quality but damn good for the GBA. I mean they added like another HALF to the game MAN ITS SO GOOD!!!!

Pokemon- well... they are really fun and they are remaking the original red and blue. Not sure when these will be out though.

I'm surprised no one has mentiond Phantas Star Collection. It's got I, II, & III perfectly emulated onto 1 tiny cartridge, hell, it's the sole reason to own a GBA.

It's not a perfect recreation.

The GBA sound hardware isn't near the level of the Master System, much less the Genesis.

And the screen aspect ratio is wrong.

But it IS a good attempt.

Metroid Zero Mission IS what Fusion should have been. Samus isn't a hunchback, the game doesn't FORCE you onto a pre-programmed path(I hate it when games create a huge expansive world that begs to be explored and then force you to not explore it), and it is completely 100% lacking in bosses that can't be hurt with missiles.

It has it's flaws, but they're relatively minor.

Regarding other questions: you CAN buy extra batteries for a GBASP, but it's not worth it.

Headphones... get an adapter so you can use real headphones. Don't waste the cash on GBASP headphones.

The MP3 player has been out fo ra while... and is a complete rip-off. You can buy a standalone MP3 player for the price they're asking, and one with more memory too.

As far as accessorizing goes, I'd get a snap-on grip(I HATE the SP's width and depth, and you can get one woth extra batteries in it if that's your thing), a headphone adapter, and maybe a cigarrette lighter charger.

After that it's just looks. You can buy "skin" stickers, and I'm quite partial to this one.

Personally, though, I hate the SP. I can see my standard GBA just fine, and it's a more comfortable device. And the frontlight(which I find unnecessary) washes a lot of detail out of the screen. But that's just me.

Have you considered investing in older GB games? The GBA is backwards-compatible with original GameBoy and GameBoy Color games.

Metroid 2 and Qix stand out as games worth owning. Qix is a rather odd game(and hasn't ever done very well commercially as far as I know) but it's incredibly fun once you get into it. Metroid 2 is just more Metroid, which is rarely a bad thing.

(I hate it when games create a huge expansive world that begs to be explored and then force you to not explore it)

So Fusion is bad, because it tells you which area to explore in, but Zero Mission is good, because you're limited to where you can explore by your equipment? See, I'm tired of hearing this lame argument that Fusion is the bastard of the Metroid family because "it's so linear," simply because they tell you which areas of the station to go into. Zero Mission is equally linear. In both games (and the GBA Castlevanias, for that matter), you're forced to do different tasks in a predetermined order, simply because you cannot open certain doors or progress down certain paths without certain equipment. The only difference is that in Zero Mission, you have to walk to a dead-end to figure out that you need to do something else first, while in Fusion a computer tells you which of the station's seven areas you should be looking around in. Let's stop giving Fusion a bum rap! Zero Mission = good! Fusion = good! Justice League: Injustice for All = bad!

As for Crystal Chronicles, try and find four friends with GBA's and link cables that want to come over and play. If you are successful, count the number of times you have to wait for one of the other guys/gals to do something in their menu on their GBA, even if you don't see it on the TV. Finally, remember that the single-player mode is a waste of time. No, I stand by my original statement: sticking the Final Fantasy name before Crystal Chronicles was simply SquareEnix's attempt to get name recognition and make a quick buck off of a lackluster game that really has nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

(I hate it when games create a huge expansive world that begs to be explored and then force you to not explore it)

So Fusion is bad, because it tells you which area to explore in, but Zero Mission is good, because you're limited to where you can explore by your equipment?

No.

Fusion restricts where you can backtrack after you get all that cool stuff.

See, I'm tired of hearing this lame argument that Fusion is the bastard of the Metroid family because "it's so linear," simply because they tell you which areas of the station to go into.  Zero Mission is equally linear. 

Zero mission does not LOCK ALL OTHER DOORS BEHIOND YOU so that you have no choice but dto do what hte game tells you to.

In both games (and the GBA Castlevanias, for that matter), you're forced to do different tasks in a predetermined order, simply because you cannot open certain doors or progress down certain paths without certain equipment. 

But none of them tell ME how to play the game. They let me tell THEM how to play.

The only difference is that in Zero Mission, you have to walk to a dead-end to figure out that you need to do something else first, while in Fusion a computer tells you which of the station's seven areas you should be looking around in. 

I don't recall wandering into many dead-ends.

And like I said, Fusion still locks doors so you CAN'T go anywhere else.

I kept getting powerups, going "Oooohhh, I wonder what I can do now besides chase the boss down? Oh, wait... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, because THE GAME WON'T LET ME!"

Let's stop giving Fusion a bum rap!  Zero Mission = good!  Fusion = good!  Justice League: Injustice for All = bad!

Hey, I'm only dragging out one gripe.

I could beat it with charges of bad artwork(hunchback Samus = bad. new suit design = bad), continuity problems(omega metroid vulnerable to ice beam = bad. omega metroid immune to missiles = bad), and poor gameplay decisions(SA-X being immune to missiles, and thus counter-intuitive to every instinct any half-decent gamer has developed = VERY bad. Game physics changing ot once, but TWICE in the battle with nightmare = very bad).

I chose to restrict it to one gripe.

I found Fusion quite unsatisfactory. Ironically, I found Prime, with all the pre-release crap about how first-person Metroid sucked, it wasn't even developed by the japanese, it was a blasphemous creation by pagan US shooter fans, et cetera, to be the best Metroid game yet.

Yes, in the entire series.

No, I stand by my original statement: sticking the Final Fantasy name before Crystal Chronicles was simply SquareEnix's attempt to get name recognition and make a quick buck off of a lackluster game that really has nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

Wow. You've just described the ENTIRE FF SERIES.

Well, okay, so the early ones were pretty decent RPGs, as the era went.

But I'm of the opinion that Square got stuck in a rut.

Somewhere around FF6 or 7, the name started dragging them down.

They quit trying new things, and started canning games to throw more money at the latest FF.

A notable example being Xenogears, which was forced out the door only half-complete because Square cut it's budget MASSIVELY half-way through development to generate more money for FF8. They took one of the best games of the generation and killed it for the sake of a completely irredeemable dog, because the dog was named Final Fantasy.

I'm pleased to see stuff like FF11 and FFCC, because mis-step or not, they're doing something DIFFRENT with the name, even if they aren't retiring it.