O/T Question, but you guys

OK, this is computer, or more importantly, iMac-related:

When I listen to music through the headphones, it's EXTREMELY quiet, even with the volume all of the way up. I've tried finding answers for this through the information super-highway, but I can never find an answer that resolves this specific problem.

I've tried 4 different headphones which, given, aren't the best, but aren't that bad either and none of them work any better or worse (ie- the cheap-o earplugs have the same volume as the $10-15 ones).

Any help?

p.s.- Mods, please leave this one up for a day or two to see if anyone has any answers. This is about the only message board I ever visit and I can't find any help at computer or mac-specific boards. Plus, like I said- You're all the smartest people I know.

OK, this is computer, or more importantly, iMac-related:

When I listen to music through the headphones, it's EXTREMELY quiet, even with the volume all of the way up. I've tried finding answers for this through the information super-highway, but I can never find an answer that resolves this specific problem.

I've tried 4 different headphones which, given, aren't the best, but aren't that bad either and none of them work any better or worse (ie- the cheap-o earplugs have the same volume as the $10-15 ones).

Any help?

p.s.- Mods, please leave this one up for a day or two to see if anyone has any answers. This is about the only message board I ever visit and I can't find any help at computer or mac-specific boards. Plus, like I said- You're all the smartest people I know.

Perhaps a stupid question, but do you have the phones plugged all the way in? A lot of times, I don't push them all the way in because with a normal push the headphone jack goes in all the way right before the last click and when I listen, all I can hear is faint sounds in the background. I check my plug and I realize I hadn't pushed it in all the way.

Go to your control panels and check the sound setup - see if your input and output are configured correctly, besides the master volume.

after that, you should check the volume on your itunes, or whatever music player you use, and check the system's volume. Hope this works out. :p:D:lol:

In OS X, go to System Preferences -> Sound

Then move the slider for "Output Volume" up to at least half way. Also, as mentioned earlier, check your volume settings on iTunes, or whatever music-playback app you are running. I highly doubt that this is a hardware problem.

Also, some headphones have a wired remote with volume control. Check the cord, and see if you have this type of remote. If so, make sure the volume is all the way up on the remote.

:lol: flattery will get you everywhere.

doubtful hard ware so as lebhead suggested. I know with pc's in addition to checking system overall volume, volume on all your players, sound card utilities if applicable... you can always get amplified headphones ;)

Man, I thought you guys were smart, but I've heard all of this before!!!!

:p

Seriously, thanks for the advice, but I've tried all of those avenues to no avail. Maybe I'll spring for a really nice headset and if that still doesn't work I can always return it.

Mods- Feel free to lock/remove this topic. I think it's served it's purpose. Thanks.

Okay, here's a last stab: try resetting the PRAM.

But basically, I'm pretty sure there's no separate volume control for the headphone jack vs. the built-in speakers. So if the speakers can play loud, but if you plug a headphone in and it's super-quiet, you may have a defective headphone jack.

Man, I thought you guys were smart, but I've heard all of this before!!!!

We are smart...

We don't buy macs. :D

:p:p:p

After all my years and problems with PC's, I've had this iMac for over a year and a half now and this is the one problem I'm having*?

*except for when I spilled beer on the keyboard. But that was human error. :D

Have you tried testing for sound with your apple pro speakers(using the speaker port)? If it sounds fine through the speakers, then it's the headphone jack. Bring it in for repairs. Of course I'm assuming you bought the extended warranty. ;)

Also if you could take screenshots of your sound control panel and your iTunes volume slider that would be great. I know you said you checked that but I just want to make sure the settings look right.

Okedokee- here's some screenshots. The top is a volume setting through my speakers. The bottom is a roughly equivalent setting using headphones.

I'm going to give a new set of headphones a chance this weekend and see if a better set will make me proud.

Sadly, we didna get an extended warranty. Dumb, I know. But the wife wouldn't go for it... :(

post-26-1075948849_thumb.jpg

On the PC you have the option of disabling some of the sources, like CD-Digital, Line-In, Auxilary. Maybe there's an option like that on the iMac that's causing the volume to be low? My guess is that there's either something interferring with the output or it's defective.