Are they going to reissue the 1/48 Low Viz or what

hirohawa

if they re-release something they said would be limited edition (and charged more for), only to sell it again to people who didn't try as hard or pay as much to get one, they would make alot of hardcore fans and collectors pissed.

if they release another low viz, IF they do it. it would probably be one of a diffrent rank. but i'd kinda be supprised if they did it at all.

I guess we where warned by the ¨limited Production¨ on the box.

Yes, We were.

But why let all the ebay sellers make all the money on Bulky Lee¨. Yamäto please reissue the 1/48 Low Visibilty.

Actually, it is not in Yamato's best interest to "re-release" a product that they explicitly said was "limited production." Sure, they might make some fast cash on a re-release. But, what happens down the road when they release something else and declare it "limited production?"

One of the main reasons a company declares something "Limited Production" is to increase the demand for something, and thus increase sales/profits.

So, if they start re-releasing "Limited Production" products to suit demand, their claims of "Limited Production" for future products loses credibility and their future use of that marketing tactic becomes less effective for them.Yamato already ran into this in a small way when they released the TRU Exclusive 1/60 CF. They later widely released an only subtley different 1/60 CF. . . and there was some complaining. . . and I think a lot of people probably cited this when they doubted the initial reports of the Low-Vis being "Limited Production". . . and thus this may have contributed to some people holding out too long and missing out on the Low-Vis. Though, a lot of that was theoretical on my part. . .

Plus, for those who take their Macross toy collecting (too?) seriously, re-releasing a toy that was announced as "Limited Production" just immediately seems wrong. A Toy Company should stick to its guns and maintain its credibility, in my opinion. Think of all the people who will be pissed at Yamato because they bought an after-market Low-Vis for $200. . . only to have Yamato re-release a "Limited Production" toy which was only worth $200 in the first place because Yamato had claimed it was "Limited Production."

Also since you are reading this please also do a 1/48 Low Visibilty VF 1S.

Who says they're listening? :p

Best Regards,

H

Actually, it is not in Yamato's best interest to "re-release" a product that they explicitly said was "limited production."... blah blah blah... it was "Limited Production."

I think Kingnor beat you to that point.

Hirohawa, I feel your pain, I too missed out on the low-vis... from now on, if Yamato says it's gonna' be a limited release, pre-order!

Tis one of the joys, and the curse of Limited Edition Items.

I snoozed, I lost. I will have the next one though. If there is a next one.

Yamato also said they where only going to make four 1/48 valks and now they are up to 8. They also never said they would do reissues of the VF 1A Hikaru and VF 1S Roy.

Is it confirmed that they ae not going to make more of the Low Viz?

I was kidding about them listening, but I still hope that they do another variant of the Low Viz hopefully a S model.

Yamato also said they where only going to make four 1/48 valks

Where?

They also never said they would do reissues of the VF 1A Hikaru and VF 1S Roy.

Where?

I think you're probably confusing rumors, unsubstantiated gossip, or unofficial statements made to inquiring (private) parties ("we have no plans to do x at the moment") with official company policy statements and press releases that might state something like: "We will never do x."

Saying that something is unlikely or that they don't have have plans to do something (such as going beyond four 1/48 valks) is quite different than releasing a toy and putting "Limited Production" in big, bold letters on its box. . . one is set in stone. The other is not.

Who could fault Yamato for initially thinking that there would only be deman for four editions of 1/48 valks. . . and then expanding the line when it proved successful? Not many would blame them for doing that. Yet, a whole lot of people would be pissed at Yamato (and not trust any future "Limited Productions") if Yamto just decided to produce more Low-Vis "Limited Production" Valks. I personally wouldn't be one of them. . . but I can see where it would be sorta lame to do so.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I realize you want a Low-Vis at a reasonable price. . . but I think you may want one so bad that you're engaging in a bit of wishful thinking here.

Good Luck though! I hope you find one!

Best Regards,

H

Edited by Hurin

So how limited is limited? Is that like less than 5,000?

When the 1/48 where first announced they where only going to do the VF 1A Max and Hikaru a Roy VF 1S and a potential VF 1J. Sales where successful and they sold more variants and did reissues. I don´t understand how that would be different than making more Low Viz valks.

I mean Limited Production is not a defined #. The boxes are not numbered 1 out of XXXXX. What toy isn´t a limited production?

Also the comic industry was plagued by limited edition covers for almost a decade, and it just ended up pissing off the fans/customers.

Yamato has been successful and it´s not because of limited editions. Just look at the MPC´s - their Limited productons are going for half off on ebay.

Okay. . . hypothetically, someone asks Yamato what their plans are and they (supposedly, cuz I still haven't seen any evidence) it goes something like this:

"Well, we're going to be making 1/48 scale valkyries. . ."

"Really? Which ones?"

"Well, we're planning on making Hikaru 1A, Roy 1S, Max 1A, and then that's probably it."

"Oh. Thanks."

Then they decide to make more when people love them so much.

That is far different than this scenario:

"What's this Low-Vis 1/48 Valkyrie I keep hearing about?"

"It's a Limited Production Collector's Edition 1/48 Valk. It doesn't appear in any of the series but is just something we thought was cool and wanted to offer to the fans as a Limited Edition. We're marking "Limited Production" on the box so there is no mistake that this is something special."

One is clearly marked as a "Limited Production" Collector's Edition. Inherent in that marking is a sort of "promise" from Yamato that they will not produce more of them and thereby diminish their market value.

There was never any such promise --direct or implied-- of which I'm aware, regarding Yamato releasing only a certain number of 1/48 releases. I'm really not even sure where you're getting that information. But I'm willing to bet that you're interpreting Yamato's initial plans and expectations as some sort of promise. . . and I don't think that's a fair comparison to a Limited Edition situation.

H

Edited by Hurin

There's a much higher possibility that Yamato will produce a CF next rather than re-issuing the Low Vis. If they do re-issue they would probably change a few things to it like no panel lines and weathering, plus some other stuff just to make it look different a bit, just like the 1/60 CF and TRU. But I doubt we will see it re-issued as others has said it a limited production.

Heck, at the very least I'd like to see a smaller scale say something like 1/75 or 1/100 would be nice. Something that will fit nicely in the corner of my display shelf. But worst case I'd just buy a Hassegawa model and paint it Low-Vis

Where?

Here. the announcement that they were gonna' do 4 1/48 was made to Graham in an interview with some big Yamato guy, and the news was posted on THIS SITE. the other releases have been extra.

Where?

let me get this straight.... you're asking where Yamato didn't say something? Seriously? :rolleyes: Oooooooooooooooooooh-KAY!

Valk-1S, good observation, I wouldn't mind a CF 1/48 :)

Edited by DrClay

Here. the announcement that they were gonna' do 4 1/48 was made to Graham in an interview with some big Yamato guy, and the news was posted on THIS SITE. the other releases have been extra.

Okay. . . let's try this again. . .

As I said, I have no problem believing that they initially planned on making 4 valks in 1/48. But, equating an adjustment to an initial plan made at the outset of a new toy line with them totally reversing themselves regarding an announced (and clearly marked) limited release. . . well, if you want to try to see those as being the same, I can't help you.

Likewise, if you want to take an initial plan at the outset of a toy line as gospel. . . I can't help you.

Man, when the old boards are brought back up, I'd love to see exactly how this was reported. I can't wait to see the unequivocal dictate from Yamato: "We shall make four! And only four! Four shall be the number of the Valkyries! And the number of the valkyries shall be. . . four. Three we shall not make! Nor two. . . or one. . . unless we then proceed to four. Five is right out! :)

I have a feeling the announcement was something more like:

"Yamato is planning on four valkyries at this time. . ."

let me get this straight.... you're asking where Yamato didn't say something? Seriously? Oooooooooooooooooooh-KAY!

I had mis-read this. I thought he had said that Yamato had announced that they would not release more of the Hikaru 1A and Roy 1S.

Obviously, you can't prove a negative. But, well, if he's actually saying: "They never said they were going to re-release the Roy and Hikaru. . .and they did. So they might re-release the Low-Vis too!". . . well, that's just faulty logic.

He's looking at it entirely backwards. He is correct in saying that they never did say that they would release more Hikaru 1As and Roy 1Ses. . . yet they did. But, they were free to make more because they never said they wouldn't. But the Low-Vis is completely different: By stating that the Low-Vis is a limited production item (on the box for crying out lout!). . . they have said that they will not produce more.

So, he's sorta shooting his own argument in the foot.

Late Edit: Closed the italics tag that was screwing everything up.

Edited by Hurin

Where?

let me get this straight.... you're asking where Yamato didn't say something? Seriously? :rolleyes: Oooooooooooooooooooh-KAY!

Well, they must have bloody said it at some point, or else how did anybody know when they were going to come out?? Usually they announce stuff before a release, yes?

On the other hand, Hurin -- what? You used the example of the TRU CF in your own post a little earlier in the thread. So why is that situation unlikely to repeat itself here? You said there were complaints... where? On MW? So what? Yamato would be more worried if it actually received complaints directly from customers. But then, who would bother doing that? Nobody. Even if I was pissed off because I had paid a load of money for something I can now get dirt cheap, I wouldn't go all out of my way to express my anger at the company. On the other hand, I'd probably grab myself another.

Chances are, they'll probably do a low-vis 1J. It's different enough so they can avoid any accusations of being liars.

On the other hand, Hurin -- what?  You used the example of the TRU CF in your own post a little earlier in the thread.

Yes. . . that's called trying to be fair and addressing all sides of an arguement (even before the opposing view brings it up). :)

However, I think there is something inherently different about the Low-Vis. Though I suppose they could get away with a subtley different one, I think they have let too much time pass. . . and too many people have bought the Low-Vis at very marked up prices. Whereas the generic CF came out almost immediately after the TRU one if I'm not mistaken. . .

A minor point, but one worth making, I think.

Also, an "exclusive" is subtley different than a "Limited Production". . . they were saying: "You can only get this at TRU!" They were not saying: "You won't be able to buy this after TRU runs out." Those are two different things, and Yamato never said the latter, as far as I know. Then, just to be sure that there is no confusion over which is which, they also subtlely altered the color when they released the mass-released one.

Again, another minor point, but one worth making.

Chances are, they'll probably do a low-vis 1J.  It's different enough so they can avoid any accusations of being liars.

I don't know. I suppose it was profitable enough for them. . . as they definitely sold ever last one.

Question, do you think they wold sell every last one of a VF-1J release if they first broke their "promise" and made more of the Low-Vis 1A?

They might. But there is no doubt that their credibility would be hurt by doing so. In my opinion, the damage to their credibility would be far worse than the TRU CF affair.

Just my opinion. . .

H

Edited by Hurin

I personally see no need for another low viz release... mainly because I'm not a fan of the first one. I own one but it is not one of my prized macross toys... actually it is one of the least prized ones... the only reason I'm holding onto it is because it is rare. It's sad but that is about the only reason I keep it... kind of like keeping that Planet of the Apes doll because it is old and rare and people say it is "worth something".

This situation is the same as every other toy catch-22 that exsists: the toy is produced in limited numbers and said numbers sell out before the small demand there is for it is filled... demand keeps increasing but supply is exhausted so the asking price of the toy just goes up and up. If you ask me the demand for this toy is sort of like that for the old Bandai Elintseeker toy... it was made in low numbers, a lot of people ignored it when it came out and it is not that different than the other toys... but IMHO people want it now just because "they can't have one".

Unless this thing shows up in Macross Zero or makes some sort of massive app I severely doubt it will ever be reissued or retooled into a different type (like a low viz 1J). Another question to ask here would be: what are the japanese fan's feelings about this toy? I would think if they did not like it as much as us that would be a serious knee-cap to seeing another one made as Yamato takes 99% of their toy making direction from their first market, the japanese collector.

Heck, at the very least I'd like to see a smaller scale say something like 1/75 or 1/100 would be nice. Something that will fit nicely in the corner of my display shelf. But worst case I'd just buy a Hassegawa model and paint it Low-Vis

Well, the chance that they'll release a third VF-1 in a different scale than the previous two is less than another low-vis release in 1/48 or 1/60, if you ask me. And Hasegawa is going to release a 1/72 VF-1 with low-vis decals:

1/72 VF-1A Valkyrie Low Visibility

I doubt Yamato will reissue the low-viz for several reasons. I believe one of the main reasons they reissued the 1st two 1/48's was to fix some of the problems that were done on later 1/48's. Thus, the reissues are not exactly the same. The Mac+ valks are being redone - not reissued - so Yamato has never really reissued anything.

That said, I think it would be cool if Yamato did a different 1/48, similar to the low-viz. I think a VF-1J in desert camo would be pretty cool.

...so Yamato has never really reissued anything.

Doesn't the 1/60 CF count? Or were you speaking in reference to 1/48s exclusively (no pun intended).

The only thing I see maybe is that a low vis vf-1j. A big maybe. The only other special limited VF-1 I think will be either:

1. Minmay guard VF-1S.

2. 25,000th production VF-1

3. Angel scheme VF.

4. Maybe a camoflage scheme VF.

5. CF vf-1j

Of course that is my speculation. I think we will see a CF. But will we see a Kakizaki DRYL and TV VF? I dunno. Then again they may just stop with Millia. As Graham said, there looks like there will be no 2 seaters.

EDIT: I need to reread what I write.

Edited by Godzilla

i got one but i'd like to have 2 more to slap on the recasts of the S and J heads.

a re-release is not likely(limited means limited) but at some point, someone here on this site will want to get rid of theirs, so i shall wait patiently til then. B))

i really want a 1/60 low-viz more than anything else. atleast that way it'll be more affordable to get multiples for customizing.

I have a feeling the announcement was something more like:

"Yamato is planning on four valkyries at this time. . ."

that's exactly the tone of that announcement, you don't have to look it up. the guy was just pointing out that because of the success of the 1:48 line Yamato has released more valks than they originally announced. Plenty of people have mentioned that the 1:48 line has grown well beyond the original plan. You asked where it was said that Yamato was originally planning to release 4 valks. You don't gotta' jump down people's throats. :o

He is correct in saying that they never did say that they would release more Hikaru 1As and Roy 1Ses. . . yet they did.

Heeeeeeeey, he WAS right. So what were you bitchin' about? :rolleyes:

Listen, I agree that Yamato shouldn't re-issue the low-vis. But, can't that fanboy dream without you writing him a condescending NOVEL about where he can shove said dream?

Hurin-

Thanks for the info. I started this thread as a fun way to see if there where more Low Viz 1As to be had. I think it was kinda evident in my tone of my original post.

You seem a little worked up from your responses - asking for sources, writing make beleive cutesy dailogue, and even bringing logic to the table.

As Dr Clay mentioned the 4 valk thing was from Graham on the Old Boards, which are available, and this is pretty much common knowledge - I didn´t think this was grounbreaking news to anyone here. The first pics of the 1/48s had the Roy 1S and the Max and Hikaru 1A with talks of a possible VF 1J. No one said four was gospel it was just there initial plan or guestimation.

Yamato made 1/48 valks they sold well they made more (reissues and variants). Low Viz sold well make more. How is that illogical?

Limited Production is meaningless. ¨Logically¨ all the valks are limited productions. Which one is an Unlimited Production? Unless the Low Viz are numbered they are not lying by making more. Limited Production is not synonymous with we are not going to make reissues.

I myself have two Low Viz Valkyries that I bought from Frank & Sons when they first came out for $125 and $135. I want one more for a custom. But it seems like a lot of people here missed out on them and are pining for them, another reason for my post.

Also I would like to see Yamato profit the most from the Valkyries they make. This keeps them in business and able to make more toys for us. That to me is more important than any level of collectability that the toys have as I have no plans on selling mine.

Also no one has answered my question including you. How many of these where made?

I still hope that if they don´t make more Low Viz 1As that they make a Low Viz 1S or a 1J.

You seem a little worked up from your responses

I love how everyone always thinks I'm so worked up just because I take a little time to actually make a cogent (at least to me), reasoned argument. . . rather than just stating my opinions. :)

asking for sources

Yeah, cuz providing sources is such a terrible thing. . . :rolleyes:

writing make beleive cutesy dailogue

I'm confused. Am I "worked up" or being cutesy? Are you coming on to me!?! :blink:

As Dr Clay mentioned

Look, DrClay seems like a nice enough guy. But I wouldn't take everything you read as gospel. We're all fallible. He himself recently took part in a thread where people clearly said that there has been no announcement (official or otherwise) that Kawamori was planning on redesigning the VF-1 for Macross Zero. But, having apparently not read that, and having only engaged in the part of the thread debating whether a redesign should be done, he then pops into another thread and announces:

"I heard Kawamori was going to redesign the VF-1... to look more continuity-y"

I don't point this out to pick on DrClay. Rather, I do it only to point out that rumors get out of control fast. And some of us get tired of people hearing things, twisting it, spreading it as fact, and then months later we get to watch people get pissy when the "promises" don't come true. Yamato has been lambasted many times on these boards for not coming through on promises that they never even made.

Incidentally, I think this addresses DrClay's concern above:

You don't gotta' jump down people's throats. . . Listen, I agree that Yamato shouldn't re-issue the low-vis. But, can't that fanboy dream without you writing him a condescending NOVEL about where he can shove said dream?

It's threads like these where a few people announce their opinion that they think the Low Viz will be released. . . and then six months later we have people pissed and talking s--t about Yamato because they failed to deliver on their promise of more Low Vizes.

Another good example? How about the "Yamato is definitely making an SDF-1" rumor. It really blossomed on the old boards, but we discuss it here. Graham said at one point that Yamato might consider making an SDF-1. Next thing you know, people are arguing scale. . . words are put into Graham's mouth. . . and a few months later, questions regarding it are answered with: "Graham says Yamato has one in the works and it will be x scale and DYRL style!"

So again. . . if I'm being harsh, sorry. But it gets old watching people's opinions and desires evolve into scheduled releases on some fanciful Yamato release calendar. . . and then watch as people get all pissy when their dreams are dashed. People around here have a nasty tendency of wanting something so bad that they blind themselves to reason and logic. Hell, one guy (who shall remain nameless) got so incensed about the 1/60 line winding down that he dubbed all the people buying 1/48s in lieu of 1/60s as "unscrupulous" and declared that Yamato would sink rapidly into financial ruin if they were stupid enough to concentrate on and expand the 1/48 line. All this because he really likes 1/60 valkyries! :o

To a lesser extent, I see the same sort of thinking here. Someone really wants them to make more 1/48 Low Viz. . . so they twist things around to the point where "Limited Production" loses all meaning. That way, in this now oddly-contorted universe, Yamato is free to produce as many "Limited Production" valkyries as they want. But we'll get to that in a bit. . .

the 4 valk thing was from Graham on the Old Boards, which are available

No, they aren't. Nor have they been for several months.

and this is pretty much common knowledge

If I had a nickel for every time a blatant rumor has been passed off as "common knowledge" around here! But, I acknowledge DrClay's recollection above of what Graham said, and it strikes me as being accurate. But, what DrClay relates above is substantively different from what you said originally:

This implies that Yamato promised a limit of only four. Yet you now acknowledge that they did no such thing but were only saying that four was their initial, tentative plan.

The first pics of the 1/48s had the Roy 1S and the Max and Hikaru 1A with talks of a possible VF 1J

Again, I never had a problem believing that Yamato had only initially planned for four valks. Rather, I had a problem believing your initial characterization of what they said (promising, in essence, a "4 valk limit").

No one said four was gospel it was just there initial plan or guestimation.

Oh no? See above. You did. Ah heck, here it is again:

But again, if you now admit (which you apparently do) that they never had a concrete plan for four that they would have to publicly disavow in order to make more, your whole point about the "4 valk limit" sorta falls apart. . . doesn't it? Oh, wait, I guess not, cuz here you go again:

Yamato made 1/48 valks they sold well they made more (reissues and variants). Low Viz sold well make more. How is that illogical?

Dude, I don't think there's any help for you. If you don't see any difference. . . it's because you want a Low Viz so much that you're blind to the difference. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to explain the difference to you.

Limited Production is meaningless.

Odd. To me, it means "Limited Production."

Synonyms are: "Limited Edition" "Collector's Edition" or "After this run, we're done! You snooze, you lose!"

¨Logically¨ all the valks are limited productions.

I think what you mean to say is: "In my fantasy world, all valkyries are limited production. . . and yet somehow that means that they will make more."

Man, I guess I am going to try to explain this again. Lord help me: Look, when a company marks something as "Limited Edition/Production", they are artificially capping the supply on purpose to generate a collector's item and jack up demand. There is an implied promise to all the people who bought one that there will be no more production runs and that their initial investment will not depreciate due to more becoming available.

All Valkyries are not openly branded as "Limited Production". . . so that is why Yamato felt free to make more VF-1S Roys and VF-1A Hikarus.

Right now, Yamato is under absolutely no production restraints for any valk but the Low Viz. If they wanted to suddenly pump out more Max 1As, they could do so and nobody could blame them (though I don't doubt some MWer would find a way. . . that's our job!). But that cannot be said about the Low Viz because they plainly, loudly, and concretly said that this is a limited production item. So, to say that "all valks are limited production" is just silly. I realize you're trying to "think deeper" there. . . but you've hit the bottom of the pool and need to come up for air. :unsure:

I'm not sure how else I can explain it. . . and I'm totally at a loss to understand how that doesn't make sense to you.

Unless the Low Viz are numbered they are not lying by making more

Dude, that's like saying: "I didn't really cheat on my wife if she doesn't find out." Are you seriously suggesting that Yamato just start minting more and keep it on the "down-low!?!" Yep, that's a great way to garner fan support: Outright deception.

Plus, I think we'd all know what was up if suddenly HLJ had Low-Vizes on sale again. . . followed by every other retailer.

That's just silly. . . moving on. . .

Limited Production is not synonymous with we are not going to make reissues.

Holy crap. . . I just had to go find a comic book to make sure that Superman hadn't turned into Bizarro. Seriously, has the earth broken out of its orbit and gone hurtling towards the sun?!? Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

That is exactly what Limited Production means! What in God's name else could it realisticly mean?!?

Also I would like to see Yamato profit the most from the Valkyries they make. This keeps them in business and able to make more toys for us. That to me is more important than any level of collectability that the toys have as I have no plans on selling mine.

As already pointed out, there is a valid argument to be made for an occasional (truly) "Limited Production" item being good for Yamato's bottom line. Related to that point is the negative effect on sales that might take place for future "Limited Production" items should Yamato lose their credibility by making more Low Vizes.

Also no one has answered my question including you. How many of these where made?

There have only been rumors. They were on the old boards. I think Graham chimed in once too, but I don't think he said it was a definitive number. But as I said, the old boards are not available.

I still hope that if they don´t make more Low Viz 1As that they make a Low Viz 1S or a 1J.

That would be cool. I don't like the Low Viz that much. . . but I'd probably pick one up. But, I actually doubt another 1/48 Low Viz is on the way. At least, not before the CF and others. It might happen and it might not. Your guess is as good as mine.

Best Regards,

H

P.S. It's usually at this point in these debates that I feel compelled to point out that I type nearly 90wpm. So, you might think that this is a lot to have written. But, to me, it's like speaking. :)

Edits: Typos

Edited by Hurin