6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Who was asking for this?

I was asking for it back in the 90’s

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'll definitely check it out! I loved these games growing up. 

Same here, had so much fun back in the day jumping cars and motorcycles and even the occasional big rig or ice cream truck over buildings. Sometimes the match on that map would be won by a simple misjudgment. I can’t remember if that was in the first or second game, but we had so much fun playing them after getting out of class

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Twisted Metal with no car action... what could go wrong??

It made it sound like they just got out of the cars, I’m pretty sure they will have a lot of car combat and still plenty of things that can go wrong, but I still wanna see it

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Anthony Mackie is so good I almost want to watch this.  Quite frankly, the dude deserves better than this.

Might be cause he's not in the right circle, or perhaps prefers streaming money, as lately it seems to be his forte.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

I definitely want to see this. It might be a train wreck, but it looks like a fun train wreck 

The moment the one-liner jokes wear out, it might dip towards cancellation. Seems to rely too much on the "shoot from the hips" quirky humour. 

I'm just wondering if there is an actual Twisted Metal tournament involved at all or it's just using the name and Sweet Tooth. I didn't see any other game characters, it seems there's an apocalypse or something that happened, but no mention of Calypso or a tournament. I hope it isn't like the newest MK movie where it all happens before the first tournament, then the movie ends hinting that the tournament is coming next time, in a sequel...

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I'm just wondering if there is an actual Twisted Metal tournament involved at all or it's just using the name and Sweet Tooth. I didn't see any other game characters, it seems there's an apocalypse or something that happened, but no mention of Calypso or a tournament. I hope it isn't like the newest MK movie where it all happens before the first tournament, then the movie ends hinting that the tournament is coming next time, in a sequel...

There is mention of granting a wish and maybe that deal was also given to others, but not shown in the trailer. It might not be tournament in the sense of a less than friendly voluntary competition, but more of a forced tournament with the participants not knowing about the competition being set up.

• 3 weeks later...

Caught the first four episodes last night and I'm really enjoying it! I'm glad they didn't take it super seriously and go with the ultra dark vibes from TW Black and the game after, this series is absurd, and I think it works best when tongue is firmly in cheek. Cast is great, you can tell Mackie is having a ton of fun, Neve Campbell is solid and still gorgeous, Rose from Brooklyn 99 is funny, and yes, Samoa Joe/Will Arnett kill it as Sweet Tooth. Though, I'm a bit confused, if I'm remembering right Sweet Tooth was just the ice cream truck, the killer clown was named Needles if I remember right. That's not really an important detail, just seemed a bit odd to me, the series seems to get most other references and lore quite right. 

One thing I'm bummed about, and I called it when the first trailer dropped, the newest MK movie did the same thing...

Spoiler

The tournament isn't until next season, this season is build up to the first big Twisted Metal tournament. I thought Neve Campbell's COO of New San Francisco was Calypso, she even very specifically uses verbiage like "making people's deepest wishes and dreams come true", but she's being cheeky. I do believe Calypso is very real and she's using our main character John for some kind of trial for the first Twisted Metal tournament. We'll see, I've still got a few episodes to go.

Pretty fun overall, lots of references and easter eggs, plus if you're familiar with the games several game characters make appearances and set themselves up for next season. 

Spoiler

Twister is the girl that now runs the crazy convoy community, as soon as I saw the schematic for an F1 car I knew it was her, then she calls none other then Flower Power, VW Beetle in her front yard and all, apparently her ex girlfriend. They're clearly in for next season, Mr. Grimm and Warthog have already been mentioned. Next season seems it'll be stacked, quite a few game characters and the real deal tournament. One other funny easter egg I noticed was John uses the cheat code from Twisted Metal 1 for infinite health as his "secret" to getting his car into first gear, there's quite a few funny little nods and easter eggs like that. 

Overall I'm enjoying it, it's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, if you're not familiar with the games I feel it will be an even harder sell, but it's a fun show that's fully aware of how insane it's world and characters are. I've been enjoying what I've been seeing. 

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Though, I'm a bit confused, if I'm remembering right Sweet Tooth was just the ice cream truck, the killer clown was named Needles if I remember right.

You would be correct. The clown's name was Needles Kane. In the first game the Cabbie driving the taxi Yellow Jacket was his father, Charles Kane. His ending is kind of depressing as he enters the tournament to find his missing son only for Calypso to tell him they already have reunited in the tournament and his son was the clown driving the ice cream truck.

Charles Kane gets brought back along with Sweet Tooth by Calypso in Twisted Metal 2 as the boss Dark Tooth seeking revenge on when you kill Sweet Tooth at a certain point in this game.

16 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Charles Kane gets brought back along with Sweet Tooth by Calypso in Twisted Metal 2 as the boss Dark Tooth seeking revenge on when you kill Sweet Tooth at a certain point in this game.

Damn I remember that! Twisted Metal 2 was fire! That was the huge ice cream truck boss that had specials like Minion and Warthog or something like that, those were killer games, I always liked the dark, twisted, monkeys-paw like endings, especially Minion. 

6 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Damn I remember that! Twisted Metal 2 was fire! That was the huge ice cream truck boss that had specials like Minion and Warthog or something like that, those were killer games, I always liked the dark, twisted, monkeys-paw like endings, especially Minion. 

Hammerhead's in the first two were hilarious. The first pair just wanted tires. That's it. Calypso was just too dumbfounded to twist their wish.

The second pair wished they could fly...then jumped out a window right before Calypso was going to give them plane tickets.