VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

OK, here are the specs that the images need to be:

all the following dimensions represent the total width and height of each

panel from edge to edge. If your designs call for a blank border around the

artwork, please allow for it.

Both side panels for an Amaray case are 1641 X 2300 pixels @ 300 dpi.

The spine of a 3 DVD case is 600 X 2300 pixels @ 300 dpi

The top is 600 x 1641 pixels @ 300 dpi.

Side panels for a 12 Amaray case remain the same: 1641 X 2300 pixels @ 300

dpi

The spine is: 2210 x 2300 pixels @ 300 dpi

The top is 2210 x 1641 pixels @ 300 dpi.

Here are the measurements from way back.

Here's my first proposal for the M+ box, photoshopped together finally. I know this one's only so-so but it's a start. For the left image I would say the sky should be extended to the edge, getting rid of the white border.

post-4-1081712251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Here's another, simpler scheme.

post-4-1081714277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

One more try. Images with the sky on both sides this time. This one flows the best of my 3 attempts I think. I like this one of mine the best so far, though for any further touches on this I would need one of the photoshop masters to take over from here.

This is the new limit of my photoshop kowledge. The sky still needs to be extended to the edge of the left image IMO, I just colored the border blue as a placeholder. Or would it look better with the existing white border, or a solid color, and save the trouble of photoshopping it? The white would come out as a nice metallic on the actual box. I think I may tweak this a little more later on tonight. I have an idea to try.

post-4-1081717954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I like the last design. Wouldn't the top look better as crisp shiny black with a red eye for the AI box?

The top image was just as it was scanned, though a recolor to black with a red eye would look pretty sweet and go well with the 3rd box's spine. Good idea.

OK, here is a more finished design for my proposal. I made the borders black so they mesh well with the top and spine, and resized the desert image to better match the left group shot's size. The idea about making the top black with a red eye sounds interesting. I would give that a try too, but I can't do that kind of photoshop recolor. I kind of like it this way too though, the box isn't all black, and the grey will be nice and metallic on the actual box. This has characters, the two planes, and my also my beloved "sharon's cross".

Let me know what you guys think, feedback is welcome.

Also keeping in line with the SDF Macross Box's overlap design, the sharon triangle can extend past the spine and wrap over the edge until it meets the left and right image edges. I'll try to add that later on.

post-4-1081825774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

the first design seems to disjointed

the second one is very classy but i dont feel the spine matches up with the two black sides and i'm not a fan of the grey top. i would want to pursue this concept further

the third one is the weakest in my opinion

some great ideas over all though!

the first design seems to disjointed

the second one is very classy but i dont feel the spine matches up with the two black sides and i'm not a fan of the grey top. i would want to pursue this concept further

the third one is the weakest in my opinion

some great ideas over all though!

:(

That's all I've got. Any more ideas? Or ways to improve what I've got? These are the best images I can pull from the M+ Game Book I have.

May be able to scrounge at least one more possibly from what I've got, and tweak my latest a little more like I mentioned.

Edited by Anubis

Here's one more idea using the 19/21 pic.

Fishing primarily, looking for good ideas. If I manage to hit one then cool, I'm at least hoping to get a ball moving though. Nothing I can do about the grey top, maybe someone can edit it into a black with red eye, or provide a better pic. For now I'll use the grey as a placeholder if I need to.

Again, there's only so many ideas I can make with the few useful pics I got out of the M+ game book. If only the Mikimoto: Innocence book I got last week had some M+ stuff in it :( .

I do need a high res copy of the sharon's cross too unfortunately, but I think I can find that if I have to.

post-4-1081828580_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I think you gotta go with the flying hand on one side and the collage of characters and fighters on the other (I they could only add the ghost or sharon to that collage it would be perfect) Not sure about the spine (how about the 3 sharon's) and the top doesn't look right to me in grey.

2nd version modified

post-4-1081830301_thumb.jpg

I think you gotta go with the flying hand on one side and the collage of characters and fighters on the other (I they could only add the ghost or sharon to that collage it would be perfect)  Not sure about the spine (how about the 3 sharon's) and the top doesn't look right to me in grey.

I still like that one myself the best too, just not sure what I can do about the top.

Some helpful pics from someone would be great.

How about something like this for the top? If I could recolor the grey image I'd use that, but this is something for now at least on top.

post-4-1081831147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I think you should keep the blue Macross logo instead of the red one. Is a better composition overall. I think that's the cover to one of the soundtracks.

I like the images chosen so far.

The top image should be the logo but in blue or in that chrome color. The red doesn't work for me.

The airplane hand is a must for one of the sides.

A collage of characters would go great on the other side.

The back side of the box being the smallest one could use either that Sharon "eye" thing, a small pic of the vf-19 in battroid or a picture of the Sharon hologram in front of the SDF Macross. Whatever the picture in the spine it should say "Macross Plus".

I'll try the blue logo version later tonight after work. It's a good idea to to try that too. Might actually go better with the sky images in retrospect. I would very much like to add an actual sharon amage as well, but again don't have a usable one yet.

Does anyone have a copy of the M+ This is Animation - OVA book or the M+ This is Animation - Movie book they would be willing to sell? If it's not too horribly expensive, then I'd take it and scan the book in high res, and just sacrifice the book. I'll send a disc or fileshare the file with who needs it. Some said before the only way to get the images out would be to crease the spine, if I wanted a minty book I wouldn't want to do that either, so I'll be willing to bite the bullet this time.

2nd version modified

i like this one. i would suggest streteching the spine so that it reaches the top and bottom. the top of the box could be a slight issue as the collage would probably look ugly if stretched. i do the like idea of having symmetry on the box sides and the simple black background and pyramid logo looks classy in my opinion.

2nd version modified

i like this one. i would suggest streteching the spine so that it reaches the top and bottom. the top of the box could be a slight issue as the collage would probably look ugly if stretched. i do the like idea of having symmetry on the box sides and the simple black background and pyramid logo looks classy in my opinion.

With the top and spine like this?

post-4-1081902517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Box 3 revised. Now with the blue logo on the spine, and since there is no other good Sharon image right now, I put the Sharon Cross back on top . The edges of both triangles wrap around the edges until they meet their respective images.

Edited by Anubis

My suggestion is for someone with a lot of time and some awesome photoshop skills.

How about Isamu with his flying hand on the right side of the box with someone extending the sky and dirt around the spine and to the other side. Then you photoshop the 21 and 19 (like from the collage for example) into the sky on the other side from Isamu. The spine has just the blue words of Macross Plus and the top is whatever although more blue sky is my choice.

Call me crazy but I like my stuff on the simple and clean side.

yeah something like that but i would loose the macross plus text on the spine (call me crazy but i think its cool not having the text). also what about having the red and blue pyramid on either side?

still not sure what to use for the top image though.

yeah something like that but i would loose the macross plus text on the spine (call me crazy but i think its cool not having the text). also what about having the red and blue pyramid on either side?

I'll make a work up of that later today.

I'll make a work up of that later today.

Here's the version with the sharon pyramid on one side and the blue pyramid logo on the other side.

Hey guys, I think this whole box thing is great. I still haven't finished picking up the mini box sets yet(I only have #3), but if I can fit it in budget, I might try to pick one up. I'll spread the word. I'd love to get the M+ box, but I only have the movie on video, so even if I get the OVA on DVD, I'm afraid it won't fit. Oh well, I'll try to help if I can. The box seems to be shaping up. I have no real talent, but I combined the pyramids into one image, as by themselves it seems a bit plain. Nothing great, but what do you think?

post-4-1082009835_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, I think this whole box thing is great. I still haven't finished picking up the mini box sets yet(I only have #3), but if I can fit it in budget, I might try to pick one up. I'll spread the word. I'd love to get the M+ box, but I only have the movie on video, so even if I get the OVA on DVD, I'm afraid it won't fit. Oh well, I'll try to help if I can. The box seems to be shaping up. I have no real talent, but I combined the pyramids into one image, as by themselves it seems a bit plain. Nothing great, but what do you think?

Maybe as a possible top image.

BTW: The M+ box is sized for 3 discs( the OVA discs x 2, and the movie disc). So you'll be fine once you pick up the OVA's.

Edited by Anubis

BTW: The M+ box is sized for 3 discs( the OVA discs x 2, and the movie disc). So you'll be fine once you pick up the OVA's.

Actually, when I said video, I meant as in VHS, rather tight squeeze. :)

BTW: The M+ box is sized for 3 discs( the OVA discs x 2, and the movie disc).  So you'll be fine once you pick up the OVA's.

Time to evolve to DVD then, my friend :):p

BTW: The M+ box is sized for 3 discs( the OVA discs x 2, and the movie disc).  So you'll be fine once you pick up the OVA's.

Time to evolve to DVD then, my friend :):p

Why? I hear the disc looks like crap. I'd rather buy something new than waste money "upgrading" to an obsolete format on an easily scratchable disc. <_< Better stop before I go off topic. But when the HD version comes out in a hundred years(at the current speed its going) I'll rebuy it. Why buy a grainey hard subbed disc when my tape looks fine? Sorry, DVD threads hit a nerve with me at times. They tend to make me rant. B))

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

box2tempb.jpg

Back to this, I guess I should make a version with the blue pyrimid on both sides too while I'm at it. Might as well try it. Quick change with photo editor, I'll copy and mod the actual .psd later at home.

post-25-1082039472.jpg

I'm still liking this kind of layout below too, though some more images to experiment with would be of great use. I'm glad I was able to get at least these two good ones so far.

box3temp2.jpg

Anyone find any more pics yet, or willing to part with one of the "this is animation" books?

Edited by Anubis

Well, I just scanned Google. Must of what I found are either bad quality or what we've seen before. I'll post some of them just for brainstorming sessions. I like how its coming, but in the case of the Isamu pic on the spine, it doesn't match with the black of everything else.

post-4-1082044337.jpg