Any Affordable Future SDF-1 Toys Incoming?

MisaForever

Hey all. Been awhile but this is something I've always been on the lookout for and now with the Harmony Gold debacle behind us, I figured I'd ask around about this.

It has always been my dream since discovering Macross to have a transformable SDF-1, preferably from DYRL but I can't be too picky I suppose. However, every single decent Macross I've found has been uber expensive in the past and only for a serious collector's market. Is there any hope of upcoming SDF-1 toys in the near future? Being a transformers fan as well, you would think that producing a Macross that transforms for under $100 could be easily done especially since compared to transformers these days, it would be a lot less complex. 

Thanks for any and all responses!

5 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

Hey all. Been awhile but this is something I've always been on the lookout for and now with the Harmony Gold debacle behind us, I figured I'd ask around about this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the debacle continues for all fans of SDFM and DYRL....HG still possesses all licensing rights to both of these titles outside Japan....unless you want to build a kit, no SDF-1 (TV or DYRL version) will ever be released for anything close to 100 USD.

12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the debacle continues for all fans of SDFM and DYRL....HG still possesses all licensing rights to both of these titles outside Japan....unless you want to build a kit, no SDF-1 (TV or DYRL version) will ever be released for anything close to 100 USD.

Ah shucks. Well it was worth a shot. :D I'll just have to keep a lookout on the second-hand market and hope I can afford one some day. Thanks for the update!

4 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

Ah shucks. Well it was worth a shot. :D I'll just have to keep a lookout on the second-hand market and hope I can afford one some day. Thanks for the update!

Have you considered a Wave DYRL SDF-1...they are pretty nice and can still be had at a decent price...

This one ended  August 21 on Yahoo Japan Auctions...under 200USD....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n1059917922

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Have you considered a Wave DYRL SDF-1...they are pretty nice and can still be had at a decent price...

This one ended  August 21 on Yahoo Japan Auctions...under 200USD....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n1059917922

Hmmmm, thanks for the link. I'll have to check these out. :)

11 hours ago, MisaForever said:

Well I have SOME standards. :D

😁

Standard Shmandards. 

Paying through the nose is the only unfortunate truth to collecting.😅

But sometimes, if you’re lucky, you’lll find one for a very reasonable price.

Good luck.

DYRL version:  you have a few options (though slightly more expensive).

TV version:  there’s only one “modern” option (Cosmo Fleet).

Of course, there are models too (which I didn’t factor above).

Even though it’s a relatively simple transformation, there are a few quirks going between the two SDF-1 modes (especially for the TV version).

Edited by Mog

Cosmo Fleet TV SDF-1, even though a bit small, is a really nice item. From Mandarake, the prices for normal color version have gone up more than double from MSRP, but the midnight smoke version still occasionally pops up for a reasonable price.

12 hours ago, MisaForever said:

Hmmmm, thanks for the link. I'll have to check these out. :)

If you can accept a TV version SDF-1 that is non-perfect transformation...they are going for an average of about 16,000 JPY....not bad with current exchange rates...

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?p=メガハウス+コスモフリートスペシャル+超時空要塞マクロス+SDF-1+&ei=UTF-8&exflg=&va=マクロス+SDF-1&b=1&n=60

It's really hard to collect Macross figures on a budget. Trust me, I know.

Aside from the good advice above, creating saved searches on eBay, Craigslist, etc. is a good idea. Especially those folks accepting offers on their listings. Most of all, if an item is not THAT far off from your price range, MESSAGE THE SELLER! You never know what might happen, and it never hurts to ask.

I know the original poster is focusing on the DYRL SDF-1.

But if you do go after the Takatoku/Matchbox 1/3000 TV version, be very wary about the shoulder joints.

At this point, many of those shoulders are extremely fragile and prone to breakage.

There’s even the possibility of those shoulders breaking during shipping unfortunately.  So, just be very aware of that.