BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

No... should I?

324103[/snapback]

For those who don't know, the podcasts contain producers' commentaries for every episode. And you can virutally sync the podcasts to each episode and listen to commetary as the you watch the show. Why wait for the DVD? Just listen to the podcasts. :)

Edited by azrael

Thanks for the tip, just downloaded them.

Just for info, the podcasts started with episode 9 of Season 1 only?

Or is there another archive somewhere with earlier podcasts? (If so, is there a link? I tried doing a search on Sci Fi.com and came up blank on older podcasts pre ep 9)

Thanks for any info

324118[/snapback]

lol... I guess it starts at ep.9... they say it right on the podcast.

I have been listening to the podcasts since they have been out. They are great but I've been listening to the separately. I've recently bought an iPod mini but I have no clue how to download the podcasts. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to follow the instructions as given on the websight but it doesn't seem to work. I tried the IPODDER, and JPODDER sights they listed but when I click on them I have no idea what to do next. Could anyone please help me!!! :(

Chris

I have been listening to the podcasts since they have been out. They are great but I've been listening to the separately. I've recently bought an iPod mini but I have no clue how to download the podcasts. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to follow the instructions as given on the websight but it doesn't seem to work. I tried the IPODDER, and JPODDER sights they listed but when I click on them I have no idea what to do next. Could anyone please help me!!! :(

Chris

324158[/snapback]

Doesn't "drag and drop" work? Do you have Itunes installed? Itunes is pretty good. And I don't usually like Apple stuff. Although Quicktime is cool.

Yup, have iTunes installed. Where would I drag and drop to? I tried Cutting and pasting that link they give but that didn't work either. I very well may have put it in the wrong spot though. Do I need anything else besides iTunes or do I need one of those Ipodder or Jpodder things that they suggest in the learn more about podcasting link they provide.

Chris

You need iTunes 4.9 to support podcasts on iTunes. You will also need to update your iPod's firmware to properly support it (older firmware versions, like mine, will read it as a long song or e-book...or something to that effect, I've heard. I normally listen to the podcast on my second viewing of the episode). If your using iTunes 4.9, there is a new tab on the side for podcasts. You can use Apple's directory or you can visit Scifi.com's official Battlestar Galactica site for the link to BG's podcasts. That's all you need, if you're using iTunes.

edit: whoops, we're on ver. 4.9, not 4.7.

Edited by azrael

Thanks Azrael, I figures out how to subscribe to the podcasts, I have the most recent iTunes, and it downloaded the last episode and should continue to download future episodes, one more question though.....how do you get the previous episodes?

Chris

Thank you Azrael, greatly appreciated! This is probably my only complaint about an iPod...the booklet users guide dosn't giv you all the information. You can get the info off the disk but for those of us that aren't computer savy...ME...it took a little bit to find it!! :p

Chris

Hmm, i dont use ipod, i went to the website and just downloaded the mp3's for the episode, the commentary's do give insight, good info, thanx

iPod/iTunes with Podcast support came out after most of the documentation came out for the current iPods, which is why it's not in the manual. Documentation for podcasts will probably be avaliable when you purchase the next major iPod release.

Also, you don't need an iPod to use iTunes. And yes, the episode commentaries are also avaliable in MP3 format off Scifi.com's official BSG site.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

Yeah, the booklet doesn't even tell you how to delete a song off of the iPod or how to not have ALL songs in your library be loaded on the iPod...even when you don't have them checked! All the manual says is review the users guide on the iTunes CD. <_< . I eventually found out how but you figure they could of at least published that bit of info!! :p

Chris

Yeah, the booklet doesn't even tell you how to delete a song off of the iPod or how to not have ALL songs in your library be loaded on the iPod...even when you don't have them checked! All the manual says is review the users guide on the iTunes CD. <_< . I eventually found out how but you figure they could of at least published that bit of info!! :p

Chris

324215[/snapback]

I don't think you CAN delete files on the Ipod. You just make them available for overwriting. Strange.

I don't think you CAN delete files on the Ipod.  You just make them available for overwriting.  Strange.

324245[/snapback]

That's how most hard drives work. This is why you can still recover files even though they are deleted. But that discussion is for another day. Back to BSG.

Chris

324215[/snapback]

I don't think you CAN delete files on the Ipod. You just make them available for overwriting. Strange.

324245[/snapback]

You delete them through iTunes. Your ipod has a separate library playlist than your itunes one when it's connected. Unless you have the autofill checked off, you can just delete them when you have it hooked to your computer(the ipod's one not your library).

And now back to the thread.... :)

The funniest thing about the podcasts has to be how Moore does them from his home and is constantly interrupted by barking dogs, shrieking rugrats, police cars, loud racer car exhausts, planes, gardeners with weedwhackers , the works! I'm waiting for the podcast where he finally loses his temper and tells everyone to shut the f up. :lol:

One thing i do enjoy about the Podcast, is the relaxed commentary about the show, its not scripted or anything cheesy about that, its just a couple guys sitting around talking about the show they produced or what not. Everynow and then they let something slip about the show notes, and one thing I have noticed, is that half the time the series is a write it as you go kinda style, which is a relief, so it makes it easier to ignore all those "I'm an expert, heres what to expect next" kinda posts. The funny thing is, is that a writer can wake up that morning, scrtach his head and say, " You know what?, I am making Adama a cylon today!"

Just up to episode # 5 of season 2. One thing that's bugging me a bit is the increasing use of present day Earth firearms and vehicles in the show.

On the firearms side we see a British army SA-80 rifle and a H&K UMP SMG being used by the Pyramid team on Caprica. Starbuck was seen using two Czech Skorpion sub-machine pistols and Helo was using what looked like some sort of UZI knock-off. I also noticed in episode # 3 when they are attacking the missile battery, Chief Tyrol's pistol is actually an FN Five-Seven pistol with a fake grenade launcher attached to the accessoy rail. And of course, the standard Colonial rifle is a Beretta Cx4 Storm carbine. :lol:

Then there is the Hummer being used by Starbuck and Helo on Caprica :angry: . I mean, come on how likely is it that the 12 Colonies would develop a vehicle identical to an Earth Hummer. Of course it could be that when the Galactica and fleet finally find Earth, it is the late 70's and, they sell the plans to AM General just in time for them to win the US Army contract to make the Hummer :lol: .

You would think that with the popularity of the show, they would have enough budget to actually make up some futuristic vehicles and firearms, or at least add some cosmetic add-ons, so they are not so easily recognisable as present day weapons.

Well, at least the Colonial pilots pistol is a made up 'space gun' sometimes, when it hasn't morphed into an FN Five-Seven.

Graham

Just up to episode # 5 of season 2. One thing that's bugging me a bit is the increasing use of present day Earth firearms and vehicles in the show.

Then there is the Hummer being used by Starbuck and Helo on Caprica  :angry: . I mean, come on how likely is it that the 12 Colonies would develop a vehicle identical to an Earth Hummer. Of course it could be that when the Galactica and fleet finally find Earth, it is the late 70's and, they sell the plans to AM General just in time for them to win the US Army contract to make the Hummer :lol: .

Graham

324639[/snapback]

Agreed. The appearance of the Hummer was easily the most disappointing part of this series so far. Regarding the firearms, I realize they are trying to do their own thing but come on how about a little homage. It surely doesn't get any better than this:

gun_blaster_battlestar.jpg

Just up to episode # 5 of season 2. One thing that's bugging me a bit is the increasing use of present day Earth firearms ...

324639[/snapback]

I'm a bit disappointed with this as well. The colonial pistol that they started with was a good start. The Beretta Cx4 Storm is unique enough that most people don't know it. When they started to use the FN Five-Seven, I let it slide, since they did try to dress it up with the "gyrojet" nade launcher. But I was annoyed that they made the original sidearm disappear. Then this season, with the whole Caprica resistance....I recognized almost all the prop guns used. I found myself quite disappointed with the prop department.... <_< SA-80s, HK UMPs, Skorpion and MP9 (thought it was a PP-2000 at first, but on further inspection, it's a Ruger MP9) SMGs...Well, to most people, they probably won't recognize it, but I did and I found that disappointing. They could have tried to dress it up a little....maybe a Bushnell Holosight for scopes...

I thought the gyrojet type grenade launcher on the Five-Seven looked terrible. To me it looked like a featureless block of black rubber or plastic with a hole drilled in the front. They could have added some detail to it to make it look a bit better.

Anybody got a good picture of the Colonial pistol they started with? IIRC it had wood fingergroove grips (looked a bit like Hogues) and didn't have any iron sights, although I think there was some sort of rib on the tob, which was perhaps used for aiming.

Graham

Colonialsidearm.jpg

I have a prop of the miniseries sidearm..it's less detailed than the above image and one they used in the series.

I think the original ones have all been replaced by the Five Sevens...I don't see them anymore.

that one picture looks like they took a Smith .357 and added a bunch of junk around it to hide the cylinder.

I like the new pistols, and I am sure they are easier to use for the show due to the 20 round clips...as opposed to the 6-8 shots of a revolver.(conjecture)

Twich

that one picture looks like they took a Smith .357 and added a bunch of junk around it to hide the cylinder.

I like the new pistols, and I am sure they are easier to use for the show due to the 20 round clips...as opposed to the 6-8 shots of a revolver.(conjecture)

Twich

324725[/snapback]

Yup. I'm sure it's because the prop must be easier to work with.

Then there is the Hummer being used by Starbuck and Helo on Caprica  :angry: . I mean, come on how likely is it that the 12 Colonies would develop a vehicle identical to an Earth Hummer. Of course it could be that when the Galactica and fleet finally find Earth, it is the late 70's and, they sell the plans to AM General just in time for them to win the US Army contract to make the Hummer :lol: .

You would think that with the popularity of the show, they would have enough budget to actually make up some futuristic vehicles and firearms, or at least add some cosmetic add-ons, so they are not so easily recognisable as present day weapons.

Well, at least the Colonial pilots pistol is a made up 'space gun' sometimes, when it hasn't morphed into an FN Five-Seven.

Graham

324639[/snapback]

Did you also notice that the resistance was using what apeared to be a WWII era deuce and a half? As much as I like those old 2 1/2 tonners, it was kind of lame to see one on BSG.

I have a prop of the miniseries sidearm..it's less detailed than the above image and one they used in the series. 

I think the original ones have all been replaced by the Five Sevens...I don't see them anymore.

324719[/snapback]

Thanks for posting that concept art, definitely looks like a S&W revolver, with a shroud fitted over the barrel and cylinder.

Could you take a photo of your prop gun, I'd like to see that.

I noticed in ep#5, when Starbuck gets shot in the abdomen, the pistol she dropped was one of the Colonial pistols, not a Five-Seven. I think that's the last time I recall seeing one.

Heh, I also noticed that at least some of the Five-Sevens have the polymer grips painted brown, I guess to try to make them look more like the original sidearm.

Graham

Twich

324725[/snapback]

Yup. I'm sure it's because the prop must be easier to work with.

324834[/snapback]

Having previously done a few years work in the prop movie gun business, there's nothing more reliable with blanks than a revolver. However, with that cosmetic shroud fitted over the barrel and cylinder, reloading may be slow and yeah you only get 6 shots, so you can't film a single take with an actor blazing away and firing 20 shots like you can do with the FiveSeven.

Also, the FN FiveSeven being straight blowback and firing a bottleneck cartridge should be pretty easy to convert to blank firing and likely quite reliable.

Not sure in the real world you'd want to be shooting those Cylon Centurians with that pipspeak 5.7x28mm round though.

Graham

Did you also notice that the resistance was using what apeared to be a WWII era deuce and a half? As much as I like those old 2 1/2 tonners, it was kind of lame to see one on BSG.

324870[/snapback]

Yeah, I also noticed that. :angry:

I'll have to check the mini-series again, to see did it actually show any futuristic looking land vehicles or not, or were they using present day Earth vehicles even then.

I seem to recall seeing somesort of flying car, although mayby I'm just confusing it with SW ep III in my mind :rolleyes:

Graham