BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

Just finished 10 and 11... I thought 10 was fracking good... so far my favorite episode so far, surface and space battles... but the end of ep. 12 kicked my ass!

No time for ep. 12 & 13 tonight. Sean, I'll hit you up after!

Edited by >EXO<

BSG is quite good IMO and as a fan of the original series I can see the homages used. But there are certain characters who I don’t empathize with at all. The Dr. and his relationship with Six, IMO it could easily be the downfall of the entire fleet. Their relationship such as it is, destroyed Caprica (sp) and much of humanity. IMO this guy needs to do some serious soul searching to find out what side he really is on and how he will amend the errors of his ways. I don’t particularly share Apollo’s Hamletesce situations or appreciate how he just does not see clearly where his loyalty and duty lie. IMO he should not have accepted being the Presidents military advisor. His sense of justice (while naïve) and his sense of duty are conflicting and with time, IMO problems will erupt. Adama’s discussion w/the President about how there is an important separation in the roles of the military and the police are also echoed IMO with Apollo and his role in the military and as the military advisor to the President.

Overall enjoying the series but I’d like to see more about eh Cylons and whatever makes them tick. This entire emphasis on theology however is something I am not vibbing with since these machines were created by man. As such, shouldn’t mankind as their creators be revered by gods? We all know this is not true b/c they rose up and destroyed their very creators. Again, theology with the Cylons especially Six looks like it might be *yawns*.

Well, as explained in the series so far--I've only seen the mini and the first 3 episodes--, the Cylons have "found" God in their own way. They see humans as their parents (creators), who must be destroyed in order for the them to come into their own existence...like children leaving home to live on their own as adults. You'd think that their decades long absence from the scene would have been enough, but clearly they don't see it that way and want to see humanity extinct.

The one thing that bothers me about Six having a mind link of some sort with Baltar is that it's been done before. It just reminds me of Harvey the Neuro-clone.

Great series thus far. I thought "Bastille Day" was a bit slow, but still much better than just about anything else currently being produced.

Edited by mechaninac

I actually like the theolgoical aspect and the fact that is out in the open allows you to comment and think about it much more openly. I think the Cylon's "finding god" is an interesting idea, and probably something that has only recently evolved in their "culture." Look at the Cylon's history, they are developed as servants, that for some reason are eventually given AI, and then are made able to kill, probably to hunt down pirates and rogues, or maybe for intra-colony warfare. Their programming goes faulty and they can no longer determine which humans are friends, and which are enemies, so they make out all of humanity to be the enemy. The soon get their butts handed to them in response, beaten back by a "defective and flawed" enemy. The colonials draw back to lick their wounds and rebuild, kicking the cylons out. The Cylons slink back into a few holdings and study their enemy from afar trying to determine the best way to beat them. THey start to develop organically based models, not bad, faster processing, better adaptability, etc... just a little more difficult to maintain and a loy messier when damaged. Eventually they start to make human form cylons, probably as a means of covert espsionage and warfare originally. The human form cylons grow in sophistication until they are practically human, but with pre-programmed imperitives to fight for the cylon cause. More and more human forms are made and they work their way up the rank structure displacing the older models that were in charge. Now the older models are gone and the human models reign supreme, but they still want an overseer someone to command them, since that is what their programming calls for. They find god. They study the colonials, see that they have faith in multiple gods and that faith gave them power to an extent giving them hope and something to look forward to after death. They Cylons reject the 12 gods and say that there must be a higher god, why else would they have survived the first war right? They believe that this higher god has a greater purpose for them, and what greater purpose then to wipe out the failed experiment that is humanity that believes in multiple pagan gods?

Beyond this point will be spoilerish for all who have not seen the whole season, read on at your own risk:

The human cylons infiltrate the colonies studying humans and discover something curious, despite their hatred of humanity they still long for exceptance by them and to be loved. The Cylons themselves immitate love but they cannot truly feel the emotion themselves as even the human models are still at their core machines, their brains are not wired for love and real emotion, they are still parroting. So of course there is only one option left for them, procreation and the creation of a hybrid race. The human form cylons form relationships with humans for the sole purpose of breeding with them in order to create the perfect human form cylon who will be capable of feeling real emotion. However instead of a slow process of simply breeding humanity out of existance the more hot headed cylons decide to first weaken humanity to the point of utter destruction, keeping a few around as breeders. They of course did not count of the Galactica surviving the initial onslaught, but that is for another time.

You might ask why the Cylons are impatient. Well think about it, they have "Evolved" from pure machine to bio-mechanical hybrids and fully biological forms in 40 years. Patientience is not their strong suit, promptng them to wipe out humanity in a sneak attack. More and more we will likely see cylon-human hybrids being borne, the Cylon DNA will likely cause them to grow faster then humans, impatient remember, plus they know how fragile babies are so they will want them past that stage quickly. The DNA may also be encoded with a form of genetic memory to give them loyalty to the Cylons from birth. This is all of course specualtion but from what we have seen this first season it is not unreasonable.

Oh am Mechaninac, Six is no where near as fun or funny as Harvey was, plus lets face it if John C had Six as his neural-clone he would have given up his knowledge of wormholes in a few episodes then lapsed into a wondeful coma, lol. ALso Six as the neural-clone is an interesting character, slowly subverting Baltar and bringing him to the Cylon side while still helping him help the colonials. It's possible that her melding with Baltar has altered the N-C's progamming and she might actually be experiencing real emotions through him. Plus she is fragging hot, especially in episode 13, despite the fact that she is not wearing a particulary revealing outfit, it is still IMHO the hottest outfit she has worn, I don't know why.

Edited by Knight26

You're right on Harvey being a lot more fun; indeed, if JC had Six in his brain instead of the cadaverous Scorpios I don't think he'd ever want to get himself rid of the neuro-clone. My point however, was not to compare the two characters, but to criticize the dramatic vehicle of the "enemy in your head". Farscape was tongue in cheek sci-fi candy, and even at it's most serious it was always satirical. The thing about the new Galactica series is that it has this pervasive undertone of paranoia, betrayal, hopelessness, tension, angst--it is a very depressing show most of the time, and that, plus the little rays of hope and perseverance that poke through now and then, together with the almost total absence of technobabble, is what makes it so great, and such a refreshing show.

Episode #4 tonight...can't wait.

I love the sense of desperation in the show, makes it feel much more real. I also like that the tech level really doesn't seem that far ahead of where we are, or where we could be were it not for policitians and visionless leaders for the last couple decades. I think having the tech level and props so close to things in the modern day also makes the show feel more real and hits home with the audience more then if everything looked very high tech and like nothing out there. The Marines carrying dressed up P-90s is cool, the body armor being something of a mix between combat fatigues and SWAT gear also helps. The funniest thing though happens in ep 13 when one of the guys is using a Digital O-Scope, an older model, but one we used to use at work, as some high tech piece of equipment. It shows that the show has a typical TV budget, but the piece of hardware is obscure enough that only those who work with it would really recognize it. Heck they probably borrowed it from the show's electrician.

Plus she is fragging hot, especially in episode 13, despite the fact that she is not wearing a particulary revealing outfit, it is still IMHO the hottest outfit she has worn, I don't know why.

Are you talking about this outfit that six is wearing?

Oh yeah, can't tell you why but for some reason her in that outfit just drives me nuts.

Just saw the 4th episode...terrific! Edward Olmos is awesome!

Thanks to the people who have seen the whole season for providing warnings before the spoilers...this is one show that deserves not to be spoiled. That being said, reading this thread is still dangerous. Don't want to accidently read something. B))

All indications is that is the second season is indeed a go, the UK won't get the series first like this time, no matter how much of the cost they share. :lol:

On a side note, I love their new side arm...a revolver all "dolled up" to make a fine looking "future gun". :D

Colonialsidearm.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

The series is so lame, it's not even funny.

I really expect them to re-do all those ships after 25 yr., apparently they are too cheap to do so. Even when Paramount air a new series star trek series, ea. time, they do a new ship for you to see.

But with Battlestar Galactica: Cheap space fight, cheap special effect, fly by night actors and actresses, all they are doing is riding on the name "battlestar galactica" and trying to make some coins out of the name.

Wow, I haven't seen such a stupid ranting post by a troll on here in so long I almost forgot what one looks like. Oh and Gaijin where did you find that concept shot that is pretty nice, looks like they reworked a .357 snubnose.

I really expect them to re-do all those ships after 25 yr., apparently they are too cheap to do so. Even when Paramount air a new series star trek series, ea. time, they do a new ship for you to see.

But with Battlestar Galactica: Cheap space fight, cheap special effect, fly by night actors and actresses, all they are doing is riding on the name "battlestar galactica" and trying to make some coins out of the name.

You're kidding me, right? :huh:

The only ships that are the same as the original series are the Vipermk.II and some of the fleet vessels. Those were retained on purpose, and the even the Vipers have some refinemet's in their design.

Cheap space flight? This is the first series since Babylon 5 to attempt realistic space flight. Andomeda has it's moments, but this new BSG tries to keep it as accurate as possible.

I'll admit that some of the shots of the Cylon Centurions look a little off, but for the most part, these are some of hte best FX on TV. Better than some movies I've seen.

The actors seem to be doing pretty good job to me. I certainly wouldn't call Edward James Olmos a "fly by night" actor.

Are you certain you haven't been watching Galactica 1980, instead?

I can't say I'm real crazy about that gun but it's better than the cheezy plastic guns from the original.

I have to say after 3 or 4 episodes my main gripe is the stupid looking backwards muscle shirts the wear. That's just cheap and corny.

Wow, I haven't seen such a stupid ranting post by a troll on here in so long I almost forgot what one looks like. Oh and Gaijin where did you find that concept shot that is pretty nice, looks like they reworked a .357 snubnose.

Yeah...the Mateba look to the next level. :D

I got a bunch of art from a friend. What else would you like to see? :p Galactica? Viper MKII?

From the looks of that painting there may be some hope of seeing some old school sword weilding Cylons in future episodes since it's apperant that they exist in this realization of the story . :)

In the mini-series, you can even see a Cylon Centurion's sword hanging in Adama's quarters.

From the looks of that painting there may be some hope of seeing some old school sword weilding Cylons in future episodes since it's apperant that they exist in this realization of the story . :)

In the mini-series, you can even see a Cylon Centurion's sword hanging in Adama's quarters.

In the mini-series, you can see an original Cylon in the museum, they built in the Galactica. Blink, and you'll miss it.

Do you have to do this in every forum I go to? The show IS the best thing on TV.

I even made my own DVD set out of the HiDef AVI's I got from Bit Torrent. I even made a bonus disk that has a couple hundred concept and and production photos. It took 6 DVD's to do it.

In the mini-series, you can see an original Cylon in the museum, they built in the Galactica. Blink, and you'll miss it.

As well as the original Base Star.

As well as the original Base Star.

Really...guess I blinked for the base star...cool!

I really expect them to re-do all those ships after 25 yr., apparently they are too cheap to do so.  Even when Paramount air a new series star trek series, ea. time, they do a new ship for you to see.

Do you have to do this in every forum I go to? The show IS the best thing on TV.

I even made my own DVD set out of the HiDef AVI's I got from Bit Torrent. I even made a bonus disk that has a couple hundred concept and and production photos. It took 6 DVD's to do it.

Hey Cobiwan, what program do you use to burn them from .avis to DVD format?

The MKVII looks great, is it in the series yet? I have only seen a few eps.

It was mostly in the mini-series, but they do appear in the show. Apollo was flying one in "33".

On a side note: There's even a "Land Ram" from the original series in the "museum" that can be seen just before Adama's speech during the de-comissioning ceremony(with the Viper fly over).

Edited by Gaijin

I wonder if the original series stuff are easter eggs or if they're just old technology. It'd be pretty cool if the new Galactica were to run into an old series basestar full of old style centurions and raiders commanded by Lucifer with his crazy googly eyes.