Playmates Toys Star Trek figures and toys

sh9000

• 3 weeks later...

Boy oh boy.. minimum effort indeed.  At least the box was honest and showed that there's literally no paint on the underside. <_< 

In fairness, the shape of this one looks more accurate overall.  Better contours, more accurate shape on the nacelles, looks like the saucer is a bit thinner, so it might make a better base for upgrades than the old one.  Sound effects have a bit of decent variety, even if a couple are kind of odd.  Credit for the saucer separation sound, at least.

Downsides, yeah, there's no paint at all on the underside (literally the entire bottom of the ship), deflector looks incredibly derpy with that orange paint, the cobra head is butt-ugly, and the plastic around the lights is painfully transparent, and looks horrible in the dark.  Stand looks ready to snap from the strain at any moment.

Maybe a decent fixer-upper?  I don't know.  Might pick one up if I find it for the same cost as the original, but it feels kind of like ten steps forward, ten steps back. :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

6 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Wow!  That is truly a low effort attempt on Playmate's part, and they even managed to get the base of the stand wrong... incorrect badge design.

I think "low effort" would imply that they at least put a minuscule amount of effort into it. This steaming pile of plastic fertilizer looks to have zero effort put into it.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

I think "low effort" would imply that they at least put a minuscule amount of effort into it. This steaming pile of plastic fertilizer looks to have zero effort put into it.

Well, they had to have the IM tooling made and contract a factory to produce the thing... beyond that, not much effort at all, certainly none in making it look even remotely passable to the majority of the target customer: adult collectors riddled with nostalgia and money to burn, doubtful there are more than a handful of kids on this whole planet who are clamoring for a roughly Playskool level toy of a 30+ year old show... seriously, who is this thing for?

• 4 months later...

Amazon and Target also have the original TV series communicators going for $15.

https://www.target.com/p/star-trek-original-series-classic-communicator/-/A-88725522?clkid

https://www.amazon.com/Playmates-Star-Trek-Original-Communicator/dp/B0CHX6XTKJ

Beats $80 for the Diamond Select one..