1/48 Line

Etrigan

Even I don't know what's next for the 1/48 line after the VF-1J Hikaru in November.

However, my completely unofficial guess would be Max & Millia VF-1J. I guess another possibility would be a DYRL Max VF-1S.

Personally, I'd like to see some more non-canon color schemes, like some of the ones that have appeared in Model Graphix magazine.

Graham

I wholeheartedly agree on both the M/M and non-canon paint scheme issues.

I will still maintain my opinion that the 1/48 line should be reserved for more rare valks of all different types... Custom color schemes and the like.... and complete the 1/60 line with Destroids, and Enemy mechs.

ive said it before...and ill say it again (cause if they do this one, then anything is possible)

Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder hummer!

Edited by Draykov

I will still maintain my opinion that the 1/48 line should be reserved for more rare valks of all different types... Custom color schemes and the like.... and complete the 1/60 line with Destroids, and Enemy mechs.

While that would be ideal (no one really wants to spend thousands of dollars on simple plain-jane color variations), it's bad business for Yamato. It probably costs them a fortune to go through the design and molding process. And they risk far too much by creating a custom scheme like blackroses rather than say.... making a 1A and 1S version for Hikaru beause the red and black stripes are just more well known. So as long as sales for the 1/48 vf-1 are strong we'll most likely be forced to stomach a bevy of repaints (this probably means every and all dyrl VF-1)until Yamato is ready with their next product.

I completely understand why it makes good business sense to focus your resources on your sure sellers (this is why there are 16+ variations of Luke Skywalker and only one Greedo), but I think the Macross fans are starving for more Yamato goodness. They could certainly get away with releasing any variant Bandai/Takatoku ever released without fear. The VF-1A low-vis is a testament to how much Macross fans are looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

It would be interesting to see what kind of marketting breakup their consumers fall under. "What percentage of their toys are sold to Macross fans, and what percent is sold to people who just casually picked one up off the shelf of Toys R Us, not knowing anything about it", kind of thing.

It would be interesting to see what kind of marketting breakup their consumers fall under. "What percentage of their toys are sold to Macross fans, and what percent is sold to people who just casually picked one up off the shelf of Toys R Us, not knowing anything about it", kind of thing.

Indeed. I imagine the casual Macross purchaser just goes for the "coolest looking" item on the shelf.

The main reason I don´t buy 1/48s is because there isn´t any real variety (unless you consider different colours and heads to be variety ) not because I can´t afford one (I have the economical resources to buy a 1/48 but not a reason to justify such a big purchase for a toy ), that and because I already have a VF-1 toy. I feel tempted to buy a Low-vis now and then but I can´t find any logical reason to spend $100+ in a toy, so I think I´ll wait until the prices go down to $90 or something.

The idea of a 1/48 YF-19 toy is horrendous , not only would it be unnecessarily expensive but it would be unpractical , with almost zero playability (too big to transform by oneself) , too big for display purposes and too heavy (even if it was made entirely out of ABS) for ointernational shipping.

Then it still stands that the 1/48 is too expensive for your tastes. Let it be then. I don't see the need for railing against the line. Plenty of us do and can justify the price for the toy... and for paying more than that for even larger toys. It's clear you don't. Let it be.

Leave the unpractical and unnecessarily expensive items for the unpractical people with unnecessarily expensive tastes. You're obviously not one of them. Leave the engineering to Yamato. If it can't be done, it won't be done. Be happy with your 1/72's or 1/60's that are already planned in the new "action scale" line.

If you want to complain and rail against something being too big and expensive, complain about the 1/60 Monster and 1/60 Q-Rau. Both are bigger and likely more expensive than any of the possible 1/48's mentioned here. And both already planned by Yamato. I don't see why there needs to be any sort of sustained campaign against something you're not gonna buy, especially when other options will likely be made available to you.

And I don't see how you're losing out... unless having overly expensive products out there that *you* won't buy bugs you some how.

-Al

if people wanna complain...then ill say it. I wish (besides the Thunder Hummer) a 1/48 Monster!!! :D

-Jin B)

So long as I can drive it to work, I'm in. ;)

Edited by Draykov

As awe inspiring as it would be, I think a 1/48 YF-19 would border on silly. The cost of a Valk that large would certainly place it beyond the price an average collector like myself would easily pay. I would, unfortunately, have to pass up having that behemoth overshadow the remainder of my collection.

Hello,

It would be a dream come true if Yamato releases a Max VF-1S. ;)

Sure, I could easily paint the yellow parts on a Roy VF-1S blue, but an actual VF-1S Max would mean that he is finally getting the respect he deserves.

A VE-1 and VT-1 in 1/48 scale would also be sweet.

Sincerely,

Christopher B)

QUOTE (Jin_Kune_Do @ Oct 14 2003, 04:15 PM)

if people wanna complain...then ill say it. I wish (besides the Thunder Hummer) a 1/48 Monster!!!

-Jin 

So long as I can drive it to work, I'm in.

Heck...why dont you look over there at ur side, and i look over here and lets try to find out how to start this damm thing :D

-Jin

Heck...why dont you look over there at ur side, and i look over here and lets try to find out how to start this damm thing

:lol:

I can see my house!

While you guys are clamoring for a 1/48 YF-19, and planing your freeway chases in the driveable Monsters :p I will be patiently waiting for my 1/48

YF-21/22. The valk so cool Max flies one. (Hello 2 Gunpods) B)

Hey! Yamato package the new Mac Plus Valks with the Fast Paks this time. You are doing it with the VF-1J. Lets avoid the wait.

While you guys are clamoring for a 1/48 YF-19, and planing your freeway chases in the driveable Monsters :p I will be patiently waiting for my 1/48

YF-21/22. The valk so cool Max flies one. (Hello 2 Gunpods) B)

Hey! Yamato package the new Mac Plus Valks with the Fast Paks this time. You are doing it with the VF-1J. Lets avoid the wait.

Ooh...complete with "plugged in" Guld!

mcr219l.jpg

Hey as long as its a 1/48 scale, then you know you cant go wrong. As far as me and Draykov driving out 1/48 Monster...all i can say is "aint no fun if da homies cant have non" :lol:

-Jin

Ps: What about this baby in 1/48 scale :D

I'll take a high quality VF-11. x 2 if I can afford it.

Because I'm jonesin', and I haven't completely answered the question yet...

I think we'll see the following in 1/48 scale released in this (or a very similar) order:

VF-1J Max w/ fast packs

VF-1J Millia w/ fast packs

VF-1A Kakizaki

VF-1A Cannon Fodder

VF-1S Max

VF-1D [i think this one is iffy, but if they could come up with an accurate sculpt, they could do the standard orange/tan VT-102 paint scheme, an Angel Birds liason ship, and a Virgin Road (Max 1J paint scheme). And if they wanted to get really cheeky, they'd release a low-vis 1D.]

VT-1 [again, iffy, but I think demand would be there if Yamato ventured it]

VE-1 [see above]

VF-1J Hikaru w/ GBP (they may release this as armor only like the first fast packs, but if the 1/60 is anything to go by, maybe not)

And then, what I would classify as totally doable if not likely:

VF-1A Max (TV)

VF-1A Kakizaki (TV)

Then possibly:

Macross 0

Macross Plus

Destroids

The only Zentradi/Meltrandi I can see them doing in 1/48 is an actual soldier- no power armor, no Glaug, no Regult, no Q-Rau.

Edited by Draykov

I still say if we see a large scale macross plus valk we will see it in 1/60th scale. But I can say I will be pissed if they make 1/60th macross plus valks and then make 1/48 macross plus valks.

If they made 1/60 M+ valks, there would be no reason to make 1/48s! We all already know that would be too ridiculous of a size.

All Fighter modes 1:60 scale M+ valks in length:

YF-19 - 12.21 in or 31.01 cm

YF-21 - 12.87 in or 32.69 cm

VF-11 - 10.18 in or 25.86 cm

That should be able to hold the detail comparable to 1:48 VF-1

some people here need to get something straight , 1/60 M+ or M0 valks would be just as big and detailed as current 1/48 VF-1 toys ; this is simple enough :

1/60 M+ toys = 1/48 detail & size

so if you buy a 1/60 M+ toy you´re really getting a 1/48 toy , get it ?

The sole idea of 1/48 M+ toys makes me puke , really , we would be stuck for years waiting for Yamato to release this giants and then trying to get them at a good price , only to realise that not only they won´t make a good display piece but they are gonna be useless and the size of those things will be impractical for any fictional idea that they´ll have more detail.

I'd be a bit more careful than that in your assertion. I think what you mean to say is:

"So, if you buy a 1/60 M+ toy, you're getting a toy that is just as big as your 1/48 VF-1s."

To say that a 1/60 M+ is a 1/48 toy, well. . . that's just nonsense.

I know I'm nit-picking here, and you probalby understand scale. . . but I'm constantly shocked at how many people don't understand scale and how it relates to actual size.

Learn your fractions people! :)

H

Edit: Also, keep in mind that a 1/60 M+ toy will not be as detailed as a 1/48 VF-1 toy. Pilots and other things will be just as tiny in 1/60 M+ as they are for 1/60 VF-1s. So, to state that a 1/60 M+ is just as detailed in all respects is just. . . wrong.

Edited by Hurin

some people here need to get something straight , 1/60 M+ or M0 valks would be just as big and detailed as current 1/48 VF-1 toys ; this is simple enough :

1/60 M+ toys = 1/48 detail & size

The sole idea of 1/48 M+ toys makes me puke , really , we would be stuck for years waiting for  Yamato to release this giants and then trying to get them at a good price , only to realise that not only they won´t make a good display piece but they are gonna be useless and the size of those things will be impractical for any fictional idea that they´ll have more detail.

Well, I know you and I have already had a number of exchanges over this topic, but in the end it's really the opinion of the consumer. You may have a smaller house and a tinier wallet. Others may have a mansion and sleep on pillows stuffed full of $20's. In the end, even if Yamato comes out with a 1/48 M+ toy, and you don't buy it, Mr. Money-Bags is going to buy enough for both you and him, and your next door neighbors. To make it worse, probably the only thing Yamato will see is a little sheet of paper that says, "Toys R Us Japan purchased 4000 units of 1/48 YF-19."

What I really don't understand is why you don't think a 15" YF-19 would make a nice display piece. I somewhat agree that a toy that large would be a little cumbersome to transform and handle, but if it's a display piece then it would just be sitting there looking pretty. If anything, a 1/48 version would be the PERFECT display piece, unless you prefer the 1/100 doyusha version?

What really gets me is that even if they end up being the same physical size, the scales are all off. This will be especially evident now, seeing as how Yamato's getting into the habit of including a pilot figure with all it's new releases. Seeing a 1/72, or even 1/60 figure next to a 1/48 is just... wrong...

*edit-- damn you Hurin, you edit your post and now the end sounds just like mine! :D

Edited by imode

Are you twins or what ? :lol:

Seriously though ;

So, if you buy a 1/60 M+ toy, you're getting a toy that is just as big as your 1/48 VF-1s

I know I'm nit-picking here, and you probalby understand scale. . . but I'm constantly shocked at how many people don't understand scale and how it relates to actual size

I understand scales pretty well , and I know the size of a toy (in scale) is proportionate to the real size of the original object , and you´re right m I just decided to be economic with my words last time around , but you´re statement is right.

I´m also bothered that some of people in favour of 1/48 M+ toys don´t understand that , for example , the size of a 1/48 toy is relative to the size of the original object , and they just make fools of themselves by screaming for 1/48 M+ toys for the sake of having something 1/48 which is total nonsense as well.

What I really don't understand is why you don't think a 15" YF-19 would make a nice display piece. I somewhat agree that a toy that large would be a little cumbersome to transform and handle, but if it's a display piece then it would just be sitting there looking pretty. If anything, a 1/48 version would be the PERFECT display piece, unless you prefer the 1/100 doyusha version?

I´m not sure if something as big and expensive as a 1/48 M+ toy would make such a good display piece. For that price (which I pressume will be pretty high) then you´re better off getting some model kits as display pieces ; what´s the point of having a transformable display piece if it´s too cumbersome to be transformed , let alone the fact that the level of detail is not at all in proportion to the size of an object , i.e. Bigger is not always better.

I would much rather prefer Yamato to release humanly affordable (they would be about as expensive as the 1/48 VF-1s) 1/60 M+ and M0 toys than uber impractical 1/48 M+/M0 toys.

And for the record , I have the space and financial resources to get various 1/48 M+ toys , but even so , I feel it´ll be a comeplete waiste of time for Yamato and us if they decide to go the 1/48 way in regards to M0 and M+ toys. I want to make clear that I´m not against the idea of having M+ and M0 toys of equal size and detail as the 1/48 VF-1 toys , that´s why I´m in favour of the 1/60 scale M+ toys.

I´m also bothered that some of people in favour of 1/48 M+ toys don´t understand that , for example , the size of a 1/48 toy is relative to the size of the original object , and they just make fools of themselves by screaming for 1/48 M+ toys for the sake of having something 1/48 which is total nonsense as well.

My point of view is this: if injection molded plastic model kits can be made of planes as large as the B-1 and the C-130, Yamato could probably pull off a 1/48 YF-19/21/VF-11 in a transformable toy if they wanted to. Would it be expensive? Sure. Would I want one? Sure. The attraction of having it in 1/48 isn't just so I can have a big honkin' toy. There are lots of accessories out there in 1/48 scale that you could take advantage of in a "Project Supernova" diorama. Plus, it'd be a bonus to have M+ Valks in the same scale as the SDF Macross Valks. I don't feel a jump to 1/60 would be a significant enough jump from 1/72 to necessitate a whole new line of M+ Valks. I suppose the same could be said for the 1/60 to 1/48 jump the DYRL Valks have made, but 1/48 is a pretty common scale for aircraft models, so I guess that combined with the fact that they wanted to go big (but not too big) was the motivation there. That's just my 2 cents. If you wanna flip out over it and accuse me and others of not being familiar with scale, TYA.

Edited by Draykov