• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Man, we can't have anything nice these days. 

Why cancel one of the few things that Paramount+ and Star Trek have going for them? 

Going to be pretty upset if it turns out this got canceled so they could divert the money to Starfleet Academy.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Man, we can't have anything nice these days. 

Why cancel one of the few things that Paramount+ and Star Trek have going for them? 

Going to be pretty upset if it turns out this got canceled so they could divert the money to Starfleet Academy.

About a month or so ago there was a lot of talk about P+ giving the axe to its animated shows and I guess this was a part of all that. Not sure if they’ll still get episodes of shows from other networks or if it just includes their originals. Not even sure honestly what if any originals they have since I still have yet to meet anyone with P+

10 minutes ago, Big s said:

About a month or so ago there was a lot of talk about P+ giving the axe to its animated shows and I guess this was a part of all that. Not sure if they’ll still get episodes of shows from other networks or if it just includes their originals. Not even sure honestly what if any originals they have since I still have yet to meet anyone with P+

Streaming originals are gonna take a hit for the next couple of years until streaming revenue normalizes or goes into the black. I've said in another thread, streaming services are looking to license more shows over the next few years due to all the lost they've incurred over the past few years doing originals. Regarding Star Trek, I've heard Paramount wants to par it down to 1 Star Trek show at a time to bring down expenses. This show, Prodigy S2, Discovery S5, and SNW S3 were all being produced at the same time. Two shows are heavy VFX-users. And 5 seasons seems like a good number to end on anyways. 'Lest ye become stale. *cough* Rick & Morty */cough*

13 hours ago, Thom said:

And thus, the end of another Five-Year Mission...

Only by modern, low episode count, standards; if compared to everything up to Enterprise with their 22-26 episodes per season, without taking episode run-time into account, Lower Decks amounts to a 2-2.5 year mission.  Now, if specifically stated in-show that five years have elapsed since the events of the premier episode I'll retract my assertion and concede the point.

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

Only by modern, low episode count, standards; if compared to everything up to Enterprise with their 22-26 episodes per season, without taking episode run-time into account, Lower Decks amounts to a 2-2.5 year mission.  Now, if specifically stated in-show that five years have elapsed since the events of the premier episode I'll retract my assertion and concede the point.

Well, there was no 'point' trying to be made. It was an off-hand comment using the similarities between five years and five seasons.

2 hours ago, mechaninac said:

For what it's worth, the whole "five year mission" concept isn't even a thing outside of TOS and the other 23rd century titles (TAS, DSC, SNW).

Five year missions were only really a thing for the big deep space explorers like the Constitution-class and Excelsior-class in the 23rd century.  Starfleet seems to have gone away from the idea after the 23rd century given that the concept vanished from Trek entirely with TNG and wasn't mentioned again until DSC and SNW.  Even if they still did that kind of thing, the USS Cerritos isn't one of the big multi-mission deep space explorers that gets sent on that kind of mission.  She's a rear-echelon utility ship of a type that both TOS-era (and PIC era) material classifies as a tugboat.

Star Trek: the Next Generation cut the idea out entirely.  The opening narration changed from:

These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

to:

These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before. 

Star Trek: the Next GenerationStar Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager all adopted the premise that one season equalled one year of in-universe time.

TNG's seven seasons span seven years from 2364 to 2370 with the movie being set one year later in 2371.

DS9's seven seasons span seven years from 2369 to 2375.

VOY's seven seasons span seven years from 2371-2378.

Star Trek: Enterprise followed the same basic approach too, with its four seasons spread between April 2151 to January 2155.

Star Trek: Discovery seems to follow the same approach was well, with its two 23rd century seasons spanning 2256-2258 and its two completed 32nd century seasons spanning 3188-3190.

Star Trek: Picard breaks the pattern a bit with its first season set in 2399, its second and third seasons both taking place in the first half of 2401, though that still averages out to 3 years in-universe time = 3 seasons.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is a bit more of a pattern-breaker as it's indicated that seasons one and two both take place in 2259.

Star Trek: Lower Decks's four seasons currently span a two-year period from 2380 to 2381.

So, you're right for the wrong reason... it is like 2-2.5 year story but the whole five year mission isn't a thing at the time the series is set.

9 hours ago, mechaninac said:

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For what it's worth, the whole "five year mission" concept isn't even a thing outside of TOS and the other 23rd century titles (TAS, DSC, SNW).

Five year missions were only really a thing for the big deep space explorers like the Constitution-class and Excelsior-class in the 23rd century.  Starfleet seems to have gone away from the idea after the 23rd century given that the concept vanished from Trek entirely with TNG and wasn't mentioned again until DSC and SNW.  Even if they still did that kind of thing, the USS Cerritos isn't one of the big multi-mission deep space explorers that gets sent on that kind of mission.  She's a rear-echelon utility ship of a type that both TOS-era (and PIC era) material classifies as a tugboat.

Star Trek: the Next Generation cut the idea out entirely.  The opening narration changed from:

to:

Star Trek: the Next GenerationStar Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager all adopted the premise that one season equalled one year of in-universe time.

TNG's seven seasons span seven years from 2364 to 2370 with the movie being set one year later in 2371.

DS9's seven seasons span seven years from 2369 to 2375.

VOY's seven seasons span seven years from 2371-2378.

Star Trek: Enterprise followed the same basic approach too, with its four seasons spread between April 2151 to January 2155.

Star Trek: Discovery seems to follow the same approach was well, with its two 23rd century seasons spanning 2256-2258 and its two completed 32nd century seasons spanning 3188-3190.

Star Trek: Picard breaks the pattern a bit with its first season set in 2399, its second and third seasons both taking place in the first half of 2401, though that still averages out to 3 years in-universe time = 3 seasons.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is a bit more of a pattern-breaker as it's indicated that seasons one and two both take place in 2259.

Star Trek: Lower Decks's four seasons currently span a two-year period from 2380 to 2381.

So, you're right for the wrong reason... it is like 2-2.5 year story but the whole five year mission isn't a thing at the time the series is set.

That’s a lot to say about a little joke. I haven’t seen the show, due to being on the least popular streaming service, but if the episodes are only 20 something minutes rather than almost an hour then it might be more like a one year mission at the most. 

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

That’s a lot to say about a little joke. I haven’t seen the show, due to being on the least popular streaming service, but if the episodes are only 20 something minutes rather than almost an hour then it might be more like a one year mission at the most. 

Well, you know me... I'm a wordy bastard. 😛🤣

It is actually available in a few other places, including the YouTube/Google Play digital library if that's your thing.

Lower Decks had a bit of a rough start because of what an arsehole its protagonist is, but it hit its stride surprisingly quickly.  It's a lot of fun to watch and like Strange New Worlds it has that sense of adventure and optimism that are missing in the other new Trek titles.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:43 PM, Big s said:

All the episodes are  available HERE (it's a legit site), as well as a plethora of other animation shows, old and new, Toons, anime and everything in between.