Macross 7 appreciation

Protoplast

Why is Macross 7 so under-appreciated? Is it because it does not have a lot of toys or mechas to show for?

Anyways, I thought I rant.. I'm a long time old-school anime fan and I've watched all the Macross but for many reason.. Macross 7 is the only one I've watched over and over the past 5 years on and off..

I can watch DYRL maybe once with 1-2 years just skipping parts to see Minmei sing or Hikaru acts like a chicken sometimes..

Macross Plus, I would only watch Sharon Apple scenes, probably the only "character" worth watching than both Guld and Isamu..

As for Macross 7, there is just so much more life than the other Macross series. Sure the original Macross has the campy feel when Roy was around but the frustrations I see with Misa and Hikaru "the indeceisive."

Basara reminds me a lot of who I was when I was a teenager. I was anti-war, anti-government, believed music is a form of untapped power to give you strength. A lot of folks seemed to hate him but just like Gamlin, didn't understand him until later on. As for Max, the genius.. hardly a genius at work as he falters which is very down to earth compared to the never falter Max we see in DYRL or Macross TV. And no kissy-kissy stuff with Miriya and Max as they are divorced! How real is that!?

As for the action, people who complained it was "slow pace" it's like slow-roasted chicken, it gets better the longer you wait.. Macross 7 makes you feel like you live in the series and see the lifes of the characters much closer.. There is sexual tension in the series, as well as tabloid TV, and plenty of good fights.

The biggest attraction for me is the music.. the sound of Basara saying "Listen to my song!" and Mylene's soft touchy voice chanting great tunes.. The music gets better and better deep into the anime series and nothing like good emotional songs when the drama escalates..

I'm not gonna give away the big spoiler but at the end of Macross 7, anybody who watched the end knows the ending is such a blast to see and hear as the series ends just like Basara finishing off the best song he ever wrote..

Long live Macross 7, the most misunderstood and under-appreciated anime TV series.

- Cheers

Yes I adore this series as well, however lots of people have lots of problems with this show.

There is a thread around here that went on for about 13 pages of pure sarcastic hilarity about why Mac 7 Rocks/Sucks.

I think the series is great, but it is not without its flaws

As people have pointed out before:

Animation quality varies

First 15-20 episodes are rather boring

robots with faces and boobs

Cheesy as a cheese farmer on the cheesingest day of the year

and some people just plain don't like Basara his songs or anything about him.

Personally I don't mind these things and I love this show, others well they hate it.

it is almost like the Macross Vs. Robotech stuff you see nobody backs down and both sides are convinced they are right. This leads to some really heated (some would say hilarious) arguments.

Maybe this topic will attract the attention of MW's favorite door knob lover, and I'm sure he will put the problems with the show into a much more colorful light. Plus he can probobly think of more things I left out. :lol:

Bottom line Some people loves it some people hates it, and thats just the way it is.

Let me do it for Agent One:

[Agent One]

Macross 7??? That's so lame and gay like baby Jesus When people like Macross 7 I just leave them a specil present on their doorknob to show them how gay they are. I constantly talk about gay. It's very important to me. That and fruitynes. I must let everyone one just how much gayness and fruityness are in Macross 7. Again and again and again. Ain't I great? Look at my muscles!

[/Agent One]

But he knows I love him :D

Edited by dna

FLAME FLAME FLAME

This discussion is so worn out. We should just start bumping old Macross 7 threads so we don't have to go through this all over again. The Macross community is split over the series. Lets leave it at that and move on.