OT: ever run of food and had to improvise?

NERV

well a little while ago i got hungry and i realised there wasnt any real food in the house and i didnt feel like going out cuz only 711 was open, so i took 2 hot dogs, put them in the cheese grater and grated them down to a pulp. Then i found some expired cheese (sell by jan 4 2002) and melted it down in the microwave. then i blended them together into a new pulp, and made a sandwich, most of my improv meals are pretty bad but this one was reall good, it was like a cheesy sloppy joe, it wudve been better with a real bun and some fresh cheese.

so anyone else ever had to make up dishes from random stuff?

ps, sorry mods, you can delete if you want

:o That sounds completely gross! But yeah I have done similar stuff in my single days. My personal favorite is taking Instant ramen, mix in A-1 Steak sauce, mayonaise and grated cheese and some mushrooms. Kinda like spaghetti I guess?

Be careful with that expired cheese...you may pay for it tomorrow! :blink:

Sometimes when I have no time for lunch, I would pour a can of Stout into a glass and pop in one raw chicken egg. While there are people who like to stir-mix the egg into the Stout, I for one, like to enjoy the Stout as it is and, end with gulping the raw egg. It's a great afternoon pick me up too.

Of course, Stout and egg mix is an acquired taste. If one doesn't like Stout already, it's no point trying. :)

Sometimes when I have no time for lunch, I would pour a can of Stout into a glass and pop in one raw chicken egg. While there are people who like to stir-mix the egg into the Stout, I for one, like to enjoy the Stout as it is and, end with gulping the raw egg. It's a great afternoon pick me up too.

Of course, Stout and egg mix is an acquired taste. If one doesn't like Stout already, it's no point trying. :)

You are talking about Stout Beer right? I wish i could drink beer for lunch...but I think the kindergarten doesn't allow it. :(

Rob

B-but sir, being allowed to drink alcoholic beverages moderately during lunch is only a small perk, compared to what you're willing to give up earning in Japan right? :lol: Besides, it's the office's mandate that I must enforce - we MUST be sober during office hours no matter what. :p

The worst thing I ever ate was in my second year in college. After rent I had about $100 for almost four months of food, but of course I wanted to by CD's too, so I used to buy 5/$1 ramen 4/$1 Mac and Cheese and spaghetti by the 5 lb bag until my money was gone. Usually I ran out before the end of the semester and ended up scraping together food by other means (Government Peanut butter off the spoon, Trading old CD's for food, etc.) But one quarter was the worst... I ran out of food with two weeks left. In the end, I had two days left and nothing but a little flour, sugar and tap water. Then I remembered my mother used to make pancakes for us when we were young and poor out of just what I had minus an egg or so. Happily I sat mixing up a batch of batter (using all my flour and most of the sugar) until I had a good mix - only to realize I had no oil of any kind to cook it. After the first one proved that this was not going to work by adhering to the pan (they weren't non-stick of course) I was left to scrape what I could off the pan and eat slightly charred scrambled-egg style pancake. That was the second worst thing I've ate in my life.

The worst was when I said, "Ah, screw the scrambled egg thing!" and drank the rest of the batter for lunch the next day. Man, was that horrible! But the next day I had money again and all was well.

Allright this is the best combo.

Cut up some potatoes ito small squares, then fry them in oil andleave it on high for like 10 minutes. Afer that turn off the stove and sprincle salt and your favorite spice on it. Try it, it only take like 15 mintues to make and it takes great!

Also toast some bread, add some butter and WOW! I called it Bread and butter.

But seriously try the potato fry.

Back in my dorm days in the AF, I always kept some Ramen noodles or MRE's handy in case I missed the chow hall.

Ramen noodles used to be a Staple in my diet. Still have them occasionally.

45 cent meal=hell, yeah!!!

Ahh the college days.... such fond memories. Well I like most people pretty much lived off of Instant Ramen and other various Dollar store delights. Not too mention the cheap Beer, never could get near Mad dog or night train thank god. I used to take the ramen bricks boil em throw is some imitation crab or some other meat and it was all good. During my senior year while I was working on a group project I ended up making a feast out of instant ramen for about 7 people. The looks I got once that was finished... but hey everyone liked it :lol:

Rob :ph34r: