Anime recommendations

Neova

I was cleaning out my Anime collection and realized I need NEW animes to watch. I already have M:Zero on order and saw all 3 Yukikazes.

I'm looking for recommendations based on more military and semi-possibly realistic mature scenarios and less of the SD funny kiddy stuff. Yukikaze would be one example and some of my old faves include all of the Macross animes cept for M7 (didn't watch that yet), Mospeada, Megazone 23, Bubble Gum Crisis, Space Cruiser Yamato, Captain Harlock, Spriggin (short but action was good) Blue Sub 6, Crying Freeman (man, is sanctuary ever going anime?) and occult (not hentai) demon shows. This is to give you guys a feeling for my tastes.

I watched some Gun Grave from the dvds I bought for a friend and it was pretty good cept for the quality.

I have not and never had watched any episodes of Gundam (I counted almost 15 boxed sets and individual titles :blink: at the shop) and don't know which ones to start on. I saw a few minutes of the most recent release and the CG was fricking awesome.

Let me know!

Bases on your examples, I would seriously recommend Crest of the Stars, as well as Banner of the Stars I and II. Very good, serious sci-fi.

I would also remommend Serial Experiments Lain (if you want a mind trip), Full Metal Panic (has a fair balance between military aspects and high school comedics, no SD), Cowboy Bebop if you have not seen it already, Hellsing, and the Rurouni Kenshin OVA.

The Gundam Movie Trilogy Box is a good place to start with gundam, with UC, for some vintage goodness. After that Gundam 0080, 8th MS Team, and 0083, in that order.

I have heard good things about Vampire Princess Miyu and Boogiepop Phantom. I have not seen either yet though, they are on my extensive backlog.

For the "occult" item, there is always Vampire Hunter D (either of them) and maybe Wicked City, though that one dances the edge of becoming a demon hentai instead of just a horror.

Edited by Anubis

Just some random shows to check out. It never hurts to broaden ones horizions.( ie watching something beside mech shows)

Berserk

Last Exile

Heat Guy J

Fist of the North Star(TV series/movie/new OVA)

Devil Lady(aka Devilman Lady)

RahXephon

VOTOMS(you'd probably like this show. Old school early 80's mech show good stuff)

Inuyasha

Gundam 0080 and 0083 are my recommendations to you. Great mecha, military, and battles. 801 TTS Airbats is an OVA based on a military airshow team, but is a comedy. Gasaraki offers a more realistic look at mecha battles and has a heavy military focus. Getter Robo: Armageddon is one of my favorites for its over-the-top action. Try Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex.

try any of the Patlabor for the realistic mecha/military bent. For the occult, try X or X2000 by Clamp - it's a bit girly but hey so is Vampire Princess Miyu and folks seem to like that. Clamp did another series in that vein and i can't remember it - Tokyo Babylon maybe?

You hate M7, good for you. You probably like good anime then, none of that girly man sh|t.

See Golgo13 The Professional. I think its the best anime movie aside from DYRL.

*cough, cough*ArcadiaofmyYouth*cough, cough, cough*GraveoftheFireflies*cough,cough,hack, cough*CastleofCagliostrio*wheeze,cough,hack,lung*Akira*phlegm,cough,hack*theaforementionedDYRL*hack,wheeze,other lung,occasional skull,cough* :p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

Wings of Honneamise. Watch the subtitled version. It's kind of an alternate-Earth version of The Right Stuff, with some action, intrigue, and social message thrown in. There's a bit of combat--not much, but you won't miss it. Great animation, too. I'd have to think that anyone who likes M+ would also like WoH.

*cough, cough*ArcadiaofmyYouth*cough, cough, cough*GraveoftheFireflies*cough,cough,hack, cough*CastleofCagliostrio*wheeze,cough,hack,lung*Akira*phlegm,cough,hack*theaforementionedDYRL*hack,wheeze,other lung,occasional skull,cough* :p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol:

:huh:

You should go to the doctor. :lol:

Wings of Honneamise. Watch the subtitled version. It's kind of an alternate-Earth version of The Right Stuff, with some action, intrigue, and social message thrown in. There's a bit of combat--not much, but you won't miss it. Great animation, too. I'd have to think that anyone who likes M+ would also like WoH.

I highly agree. This is my favorite film of all time.

If you can stand the extremely cheesy CG helicopter scenes.

That scene is certainly not one of the better parts, but at the time it was the best they had.

Great recommendations folks! Thanks a lot!

I already picked up The Patlabor Movies (1-3), the newer OVA releases and Cowboy Bebop. Just waiting to get it warmed up on the dvd player.

I actually do like comedies but I was looking for more action packed movies with a deep story. I love Lupin III (have TV series 1 - 2 to start - My GOD! :blink:) , Miyazaki and have Shirow's Collection to finish (Dominion Tank Police just cracks me up).

Wings of Honneamise, Jin Roh, and Golgo13 are going on my must have lists now and I'll pick up the UC Gundam Movies and Votoms. I love those old school mechs.

I tried to watch Lain but that just bored me stiff. I need something more hardcore than that. My copy is for sale now. PM if interested.

Also whats up with all of these Gundam X, Y,Z, ZZ and etc... My god, I could teach the alphabets to my niece and nephews with just the covers from the series.

Edited by Neova

Here's the short version of it:

in production order:

late 1970s-early 1980s - Mobile Suit Gundam (first TV series, then movie trilogy)

mid-1980s - Zeta Gundam

late 1980s - Gundam ZZ

1988/89 - Char's Counterattack (feature film)

1988/89 - Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA series)

1990/91 - Gundam F91 (feature film)

1990/91 - Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OVA series, plus movie Last Blitz of Zeon)

1993 - Victory Gundam

1994 - G Gundam

1995-96 - Gundam Wing

late 1990s - Endless Waltz (OVA series and movie version)

late 1990s - Gundam X

late 1990s - The 08th MS Team (OVA series and movie)

late 1990s - Turn-A Gundam (TV series and 2 movies)

early 2000s - Gundam SEED

In chronological order of Universal Century:

Mobile Suit Gundam

The 08th MS Team

Gundam 0080

Gundam 0083

Zeta Gundam

Gundam ZZ

Char's Counterattack

Gundam F91

Victory Gundam

Turn-A Gundam supposedly takes place in a far distant future and manages to tie all Gundam series together, but for all practical purposes it bears no close relationship to the U.C. shows above. The other shows I didn't mention similarly do not tie into U.C. shows in any significant way, except for Gundam X, which alludes to the One Year War with its own version of it.

Only MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, V Gundam and Turn-A were directed by the show's original director. The rest were done by different people.

If you want something hardcore, definately go for Space Cruiser Yamato.

Also reccomended:

-Giant Robo

-Orguss

-Galaxy Express 999

-Arcadia Of My Youth

-Mazinkaiser!

-Gundam 0079 Movies set followed by Zeta

If you can stomach fugly/dated animation, I'd highly recommend Aura Battler Dunbine. It's set in a fantasy setting, but there's plenty of action and the story is hardcore (imagine an ending where practically everyone dies).

Aura Battler Dunbine has dated animation, but it's nothing compared to Armored Trooper VOTOMS when it comes to fugly animation.

If you can stomach fugly/dated animation, I'd highly recommend Aura Battler Dunbine.  It's set in a fantasy setting, but there's plenty of action and the story is hardcore (imagine an ending where practically everyone dies).

Aura Battler Dunbine has dated animation, but it's nothing compared to Armored Trooper VOTOMS when it comes to fugly animation.

LOL very true. VOTOMS hasn't aged well but neither have any other early 80's anime shows. Fist of the North Star TV series has alot of episodes that just look awful but yet I still love it. lol SDF Macross looks crappy too.