X-Files Season 11 Mini-Series

boinger

Just when I am looking forward to a 9 episode Twin Peaks TV series directed by David

Lynch and now there is an X-Files TV mini-series that is going to happen!

I'm hoping for more of a series 1-6 & 1st movie style than series 7-9 & 2nd movie style.

I was thinking of the IDW X-Files comic series as Season 10.

Edited by boinger

I just don't think X-Files can be scary, tense or disturbing anymore. The internet age and a reality filled with Google Earth and a digital camera on everyone's dog has pretty much destroyed any suspension of disbelief for these cover-up, conspiracy theory kind of stories. When everyday folks like Julian Assange and Edward Snowden uncover more about our compromised "democracies" than Scully and Mulder did in 9 years of FBI work, I find it kinda hard to be drawn into the show like I was in the 90s. I guess I just don't have the same fears today as I did back then, so it kinda ruins the show :(

I think Fringe and the X-Files are apples and oranges. Yes, the first season was very much a parallel to the X-Files. And the fact that it was another FOX TV show with FBI agents investigating strange events was rather uncanny. After season two, though, it quickly developed its own unique voice and I think that helped make it successful. I also like that the story had a definitive ending.

The news about the X-Files miniseries is exciting to me. I'm taking the glass half-full approach. My worry is that there are already a number of shows that do modern government conspiracy with a Sci-Fi twist well, like Person of Interest. I do wonder how the X-Files will adapt to stay relevant; and will the miniseries add something new, becoming a copycat of some other program or become a parody?

The other bonus I see is that this will be a miniseries. There's a potential for better quality here. It also means that David Duchovney and Gillian Anderson will still have time for their other projects. In particular (but off topic), I've been enjoying watching Gillian Anderson's performance in The Fall.

Edited by technoblue

Fringe was the new X files and it did it so well we don't need the old X files.

Steering clear of the comparisons, Fringe was amazing. And honestly/and a bit sadly because I liked X-Files, I'd much rather see a rebirth of Fringe than of X-Files at this point.

-b.

Twin Peaks. I hope they resolve the Dale Cooper/Black Lodge situation...

Edited by myk