Suggestions for good anime/game music

Hey all,

I'm looking to expand my anime/game soundtrack library. These are most of the one's I have right now to let you know, more or less, what I'm into.

Anime: (Macross Plus OST 1, 2, Sharon Apple: The Cream Puff), Zoids OST, Robotech Perfect Soundtrack, Transformers the Movie (ok, it's not anime, but it's close enough), Bubblegum Crisis Vocal Collection Vol. 1

Game: Radiant Silvergun, Gunvalkyrie, 19XX, Zelda: Ocarina of Time US OST, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Darius Gaiden, G Darius

Soundtracks I'd like to get: Revenge of Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi 3

I tend to buy soundtracks that have stuff that is trance/techno, orchestral, electronic, or good rock music. I also really like these movie soundtracks: (Hackers 1, 2, 3), Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Terminator 2, and Swordfish.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Edited by sidearmsalpha

I'd recommend you pick up the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 vocal collection As Sekiria. I like that one pretty well... I also like the BGC 2040 OST 1, but it has mixed reviews...

You'd probably like .hack//SIGN OSTs 1 and 2, Noir OSTs 1-3 (even if the anime sucked, the music rocks). I also enjoy the first Nazca OST. I'd also recommend the Final Fantasy Tactics OST and the Chrono Cross OST. Hell, you rarely go wrong with Squaresoft OSTs....

If you're into Jazz music, I'd say you'd have to buy the Cowboy Bebop OST 1, as well as the Ask DNA single from the movie. Crest of the Stars has some very good orchestral music, as well as Now and Then, Here and There.

If you can find them, the game OSTs from Soul Edge and Soul Calibur are very nice....

One: Switch from the Robotech sountrack to an actual Macross soundtrack. I think, you may be pleasantly surprized.

I have always liked the Rurouni Kenshin OVA soundtrack as well.

Edited by Anubis

One:  Switch from the Robotech sountrack to an actual Macross soundtrack.  I think, you may be pleasantly surprized.

I know I might get stoned here for this, but I actually liked alot of the bgm in Robotech more than I did in Macross: DYRL and Macross the series. I much prefer the Robotech theme song to the Macross theme song. I don't care for Minmay's songs in Robotech at all. The only song that I really like and think is quite good in Macross is the one that Minmei sings during the battle in the movie. I dl'ed that one. Some of Yellow Dancer's songs are good in Robotech, but most of the vocal stuff is pretty bad, IMO.

I'll definitely check out the Bubblegum Crisis stuff and what's been suggested so far. Thanks, guys.

Edited by sidearmsalpha

One:  Switch from the Robotech sountrack to an actual Macross soundtrack.  I think, you may be pleasantly surprized.

I know I might get stoned here for this, but I actually liked alot of the bgm in Robotech more than I did in Macross: DYRL and Macross the series. I much prefer the Robotech theme song to the Macross theme song. I don't care for Minmay's songs in Robotech at all. The only song that I really like and think is quite good in Macross is the one that Minmei sings during the battle in the movie. I dl'ed that one. Some of Yellow Dancer's songs are good in Robotech, but most of the vocal stuff is pretty bad, IMO.

I'll definitely check out the Bubblegum Crisis stuff and what's been suggested so far. Thanks, guys.

..and here I thought I was the only person with that opinion.. lol

Try the Last Exile soundtrack, real neat.

I like both the Robotech and Macross OSTs.

Video Games

F-Zero GX

Zelda - Sound and Drama

Smash Bros. Melee (great orchestral versions of classic Nintendo tunes)

Metroid Prime OST

Final Fantasy - Celtic Moon

Anime

All of the Evangelion OSTs(except EVA VOX, and repeats)

I'm fond of the Inuyasha soundtracks too...

Can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop OSTs

Macross: Perfect Collection(or whatever its called)

Macross Zero OST

Macross Plus(pick the one you like, or all...)

It all depends on what you're into. Personally, I like music that reminds me of a cool part in a show or game.

If you like Yoko Kanno's music (Macross Plus), check out the orchestral score she did for Turn-A Gundam. There are 3 OST soundtrack CDs, plus a live concert CD and a new OST CD for the movie compilation. The Gundam F91 also have some very good orchestral CDs: original soundtrack, F91 Symphonic Poem, and the Special Concert Live! CD.

I'd also recommend Noriyuki Asakura's game music if you are into ninja type of games. He did the soundtracks for the Tenchu and Way of the Samurai games.

Silent Hill 2 soundtrack has some excellent rock and moody music.

Game (in order of favorites):

Symphony Y's 95 (If you can find it, pinnacle masterpiece of videogame music)

Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections (Awesome orchestral experience you'll never forget)

Initial D Special Stage OST (Have huge selection of eurobeat songs from the anime show{33 songs I believe} in the price of one, best bang for the buck if you haven't got some of the anime CD releases before)

Wild Arms 2 OST (OST & Orchestra tracks all in one, very nice stuff)

Xenogears OST (Great stuff)

Chrono Trigger OST (Kind of low tech on the sound quality because of the SNES based game, but great music nonetheless)

Unlimited Saga OST (Heavy orchestra on Disc 1, Heavy techno on disc 2, have beautiful tracks with some fillers here & there)

Check this SoundtrackCentral site out. I used to go there all the time when I collect a lot of game soundtracks. Got great reviews & some samples. I believe it has an anime section too.

Nah... The soundtrack to RT is the one thing that IS good about RT. However, lately, I never listen to it as opposed to the Macross: The Complete sountrack. I think that the RT soundtrack is too... synthetic and prefer the more orchestral tones of the Macross music as of late. If you haven't heard all 3 CD's of Macross: The Complete then go yourself a favor and listen all of it once before you pass it over.

vinnie

So you're into the techno/electronic stuff.......try Wipeout XL (songs by Photek, Future Sound Of London, Chemical Brothers, etc.), N2o (you can just buy the first Crystal Method cd though, same songs), Akira and Ghost In The Shell also have great soundtracks!!! Quake (forgot which one, but Trent Reznor did the soundtrack, and Alice ( Chris Vrenna from NIN also did that one).

If I can think of more, I will post them too, but I can tell you right now, I might forget :D

..and here I thought I was the only person with that opinion.. lol

Try the Last Exile soundtrack, real neat.

Man, I love that avatar, GreenGuy42! Looks like you're a fellow IZ fan. As a matter of fact, my friend and I were at Hot Topic yesterday looking at Invader Zim merchandise, namely Gir stuff. He bought the Gir/w eyes closed plush. I saw these cool Gir patches that I want to pick up next time and have them sewed on a beanie cap.

Jhonen Vasquez, the IZ creator, is actually from our town. My friend and I would see him at local comic shows back when he was doing Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee at Slave Labor. And this is true -- my friend and him had a French class together at the high school down the road from my high school.

Sorry to get off topic, but that cartoon rules! They need to compile it all on DVD. Even better, bring it back on the air with new episodes.

I downloaded that scene where your avatar is from, and he's dancing to that song "Mr. Wonderful" from Dance Dance Revolution! Just hilarious!!! :lol:

Game (in order of favorites):

Symphony Y's 95 (If you can find it, pinnacle masterpiece of videogame music)

Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections (Awesome orchestral experience you'll never forget)

Initial D Special Stage OST (Have huge selection of eurobeat songs from the anime show{33 songs I believe} in the price of one, best bang for the buck if you haven't got some of the anime CD releases before)

Wild Arms 2 OST (OST & Orchestra tracks all in one, very nice stuff)

Xenogears OST (Great stuff)

Chrono Trigger OST (Kind of low tech on the sound quality because of the SNES based game, but great music nonetheless)

Unlimited Saga OST (Heavy orchestra on Disc 1, Heavy techno on disc 2, have beautiful tracks with some fillers here & there)

Check this SoundtrackCentral site out. I used to go there all the time when I collect a lot of game soundtracks. Got great reviews & some samples. I believe it has an anime section too.

Thanks for that link, mpchi! Wow! It's great to see that there are so many of you out there that are into anime and game music! I only have one friend who has an appreciation for that kind of music. Sometimes, I'll have the CD's playing in my car, and other people, are like, "Huh?! WTF is this?!" They just don't understand. It's all good. I'd rather pop in my Ren & Stimpy CD than some of the pop crap that they listen to! :p

Honetly I liked some of RT's music too...

For video game stuff, I pretty much reccomend just about anything by Nobuo Uematsu and Yasunori Mistuda. The soundtrack to the first Onimusha is pretty good too and I've always liked the tracks in Ace Combat 3 and 4. Castlevania Lament of Innocence is good too.

For anime stuff, basicaly all I've really heard are Macross Plus, Cowboy Beebop, Neon Genesis, Samurai X, and Gundam SEED.