Q-rau

Nightbat

Nice looking, but I will probably not be getting the Q-Rau simply because every picture I have seen of it, it has been propped up with boxes. I don't want something that won't stand up on it's own....no matter how unbelievably cool looking it is.

.....man I wish that was 1/48. I don't care how big it would be :lol:

Damn you Yamato! The greedy bastards won't be satisfied until they can just directly garnish my paycheck. You might as well sign me up for the purple one now, too.

Edit in:

BTW, isn't this the first pic we've seen of the pilot?

post-4-1072498048.jpg

Edited by Batou

Definitely cool!

Yet another item to add to the list of things I want. Unfortunately, just because I "want" it, doesn't mean I'll be able to "buy" it.

I'm really glad that Yamato came along, because I was getting tired of searching Ebay for decent Jetfires.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Nice looking, but I will probably not be getting the Q-Rau simply because every picture I have seen of it, it has been propped up with boxes. I don't want something that won't stand up on it's own....no matter how unbelievably cool looking it is.

.....man I wish that was 1/48. I don't care how big it would be  :lol:

I noticed that too. I do wonder how stable it will be, but maybe these pics are still just prototype shots (resin?), which would not have the die cast content in the legs that the actual release would have. With the metal content in the legs, it should help compensate for the backpack. Even if it does tend to lean back, I'll just do what I did with my 1/48 Strike 1S Roy and prop it against the wall.

Edited by Anubis

I noticed that too. I do wonder how stable it will be, but maybe these pics are still just prototype shots (resin?), which would not have the die cast content in the legs that the actual release would have. With the metal content in the legs, it should help compensate for the backpack. Even if it does tend to lean back, I'll just do what I did with my 1/48 Strike 1S Roy and prop it against the wall.

I never noticed that either. Looking at the side profile, there is a ton of weight behind the legs. I don't see how you are going to stand that up on its own without leaning way forward or using support. Diecast in the legs cannot help balance and gravity.

.....man I wish that was 1/48. I don't care how big it would be :lol:

Funny.

Some PG Gundam kits as well as GFF, and MSiA from Bandai aare too heavy at the back and are also supported by a stand so they don't topple over.

I wonder why no one bitches to Bandai about it.

Oh, please don't take my post the wrong way, even if I quoted you. It's just an observation that I have. :D

DAMN ! does that Q-rau look hot :ph34r:

I have to admit , I´m not a big fan of the Q-rau but mate this toy looks NEAT , that paint job is

admirably of high quality for Yamato , and the pilot figure looks good as well.

One thing thought , WTH is going on with the price ??? Does Yamato think this is a reasonable price ? they better be joking cause I don´t remeber the Q-rau being able to transform in 3 modes or anything of that kind to make this toy so unexpectedly complex in comparison to a 1/48 VF-1 , and this is suppossed to be just 1/60 <_<

and this is suppossed to be just 1/60 <_<

It doesn't matter what the scale is, it is still physically larger than a 1/48 VF-1, which means more materials (presumably ALOT of die-cast for the legs) which means higher prices and higher shipping costs due to the weight/size.

You forgot 1 detail : the 1/60 Q-rau matches the 1/60 VF-1 in size term. Remind yourself of the anime where the zentradi are nearly the same size as the humans. So the Q-rau is much bigger than the VF-1. I saw pics of the 2 toys side by side and you can even guess that it is also larger than the 1/48 VF-1 ! :blink:

I never noticed that either. Looking at the side profile, there is a ton of weight behind the legs. I don't see how you are going to stand that up on its own without leaning way forward or using support. Diecast in the legs cannot help balance and gravity.

What I mean is, if the backpack is mostly plastic (it's already going to be hollow to accomodate the pilot), and legs nice and solid from the die cast, then it should be able to weight balance without leaning it too far forward. It will most likely be a little top heavy, but I doubt it will be enough for it to flop over. If does end up needing to, like I said I'll prop it against the wall or on one of the acrylic stands, and it'll be fine.

Edited by Anubis

You forgot 1 detail : the 1/60 Q-rau matches the 1/60 VF-1 in size term. Remind yourself of the anime where the zentradi are nearly the same size as the humans. So the Q-rau is much bigger than the VF-1. I saw pics of the 2 toys side by side and you can even guess that it is also larger than the 1/48 VF-1 ! :blink:

:rolleyes::D

jeje , no I meant , taking into account the toy is just 1/60 it´s incredibly expensive for the rather few complex mechanisms it features ( missile bays and articulation points ), in comparison to a 1/48 transformable VF-1 (note , I just mentioned the 1/48 for the sake of pointing out the complexity of its design , not because I think they have any realtionship size-wise ).

You forgot 1 detail : the 1/60 Q-rau matches the 1/60 VF-1 in size term. Remind yourself of the anime where the zentradi are nearly the same size as the humans. So the Q-rau is much bigger than the VF-1. I saw pics of the 2 toys side by side and you can even guess that it is also larger than the 1/48 VF-1 !  :blink:

:rolleyes::D

jeje , no I meant , taking into account the toy is just 1/60 it´s incredibly expensive for the rather few complex mechanisms it features ( missile bays and articulation points ), in comparison to a 1/48 transformable VF-1 (note , I just mentioned the 1/48 for the sake of pointing out the complexity of its design , not because I think they have any realtionship size-wise ).

I totally share your point of view about the complexity of the toy. The one can transform and the other not that' why I think I won't get it :p

Those toys made in China must cost 5$ to Yamato. Plastic is usually a Petroleum Waste. I don't see any relation between size and price. Look at the price of the bootlegs valkyries. they're made in China as well.

Painting is more complexe. It takes time = $$$.

Packaging/shipping is more expensive with size = $$$.

Ah I'm loosing my time. they decided the price and no one can do anything about it.

Those toys made in China must cost 5$ to Yamato. Plastic is usually a Petroleum Waste. I don't see any relation between size and price. Look at the price of the bootlegs valkyries. they're made in China as well.

Painting is more complexe. It takes time = $$$.

Packaging/shipping is more expensive with size = $$$.

Ah I'm loosing my time. they decided the price and no one can do anything about it.

I now what you mean.

I don´t think they´ll alter the toy that much from the one featured in the pics , hell they even finished the pilot already so judging from that I don´t think it´s a prototype toy , or atleast it doesn´t appear to be one.

Based on that I don´t think they´ll add much more die-cast meaning the toy will be as much plastic as the 1/48 toys , and as you said , such material isn´t as costly production-wise as paying someone to paint the toy itself so saying this toy is expensive becuase of all the plastic and such is a bit off.

We shouldn´t be paying for the size of the thing neither for the ammount of plastic in relation to its size , we should be paying for the elaborate design and its features and detail , otherwise I don´t see why the Q-rau should be so expensive.

We shouldn´t be paying for the size of the thing neither for the ammount of plastic in relation to its size , we should be paying for the elaborate design and its features and detail , otherwise I don´t see why the Q-rau should be so expensive.

then don't buy it.

You are paying for the size. This sucker is going to be huge. Also you are paying for the chance that alot of Macross fans won't buy it because its not a VF-1 or a transforming fighter. Lower demand/higher cost.

You can also thank the Yen vs Dollar. A few months ago 12,800 yen was about 110.00 US. Now its closer to 120.00

size means nothing for the price -> it's psychological. Plastic costs nothing. And it's made 100% out of plastic I am sure.

No die cast in that baby. Maybe is it harder to cast the pieces - not sure though because there are not so many pieces to make because of the few hinges. It looks static.

-> No engineering about the transformation. Only one or two hinges in the toy (2 for legs, 2 or 4 for arms, 3 for cockpit....) copare that to the 1/48 Yammie... LOL. 2 screws and that's it. I hope I'm wrong but this toy looks really basic and rigid.

Huge price for 500 gr of plastic and 20 min of painting. They're surfing on the fashion wave with your $. That's my opinion.

And still it's red and I won't buy a red one. Red one doesn't exist for me. I would have bought it green even if I don't own any 1/60 yammie.

size means nothing for the price -> it's psychological. Plastic costs nothing. And it's made 100% out of plastic I am sure.

No die cast in that baby. Maybe is it harder to cast the pieces - not sure though because there are not so many pieces to make because of the few hinges. It looks static.

-> No engineering about the transformation. Only one or two hinges in the toy (2 for legs, 2 or 4 for arms, 3 for cockpit....) copare that to the 1/48 Yammie... LOL. 2 screws and that's it. I hope I'm wrong but this toy looks really basic and rigid.

Huge price for 500 gr of plastic and 20 min of painting. They're surfing on the fashion wave with your $. That's my opinion.

Development time from a qualified sculptor costs a lot of money. Molds cost a HELL of a lot of money. Getting this monster from a sketch to manufacturing to retail and all the related costs involved therein cost a LOT of money.

While I agree the price seems a little high, you have to remember: This isn't a gundam. Quality of this caliber costs money, especially for what are essentially very limited runs and as was already pointed out, the Yen/Dollar rate sucks for us right now. Regardless of what us slobbering fools at MW seem to think, neither this q-rau nor any of the Macross toys are going to sell in the kinds of numbers that would allow them to sell this toy at a $60-$80 price mark. Macross is a niche market, and just like college textbooks cost a buttload more money to purchase because of the economies of scale, Macross toys cost more becuase they simply have to sell them for more to recoup their expenses. Or at least Macross toys of Yamato's quality do.

I for one am stoked about this one if only for the fact it isn't another VF-1. I'd love it to be cheaper just like everyone else, but at the same time, I don't think that the Yamato executives are laughing on their way to the bank with sacks of money.

I've always liked the Q-Rau design ever since I was a kid, drooling over my cousin's Q-Rau plastic kit & the box art, so I can say its one of my favorite mech design in the Macross universe. Even though I wasn't too big on the 1/60 collection, I definitely wouldn't mind getting one of these, preferably green, but red is cool too. But after looking at the price tag, It scared me away... 12800yen is really too much to ask for, and I thought it was going to be about as much as a regular 1/60. Silly me :huh: I guess I won't be having one after all. :(

I haven't been on the boards a whole lot so this is the first picture that I've seen of the Q-rau. I think it looks okay. It always seemed so much more menacing in the movie/series, but now I see it in 3D, it doesn't seem that great. Blasphemy. I know. Having said that I'll still get it. :lol:

Seeing that we're voicing opinions and you know what they say about them........here's mine.......

I think what should be grasped is the size of it in regards to the cost. (Almost 2x the height of the 1/60 Valk from the pic below.) Add to the fact mentioned above about the demand/cost issue, I don't think it's too far off the line to think of the pricetag being too much.

BUT IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHAT YOU WANT.

I would also prefer a green(TV) version, but will attempt to acquire the purple if not hold out fo a green. (I actually believe that a green version may show up at some point...it's only a color...and would generate more sales.) I will bypass the Millia/Max pair only due to my cash flow, but that's the case with a bunch fans.....collect what you can.

I also hope that this type sells well as it may point Yamato towards other non-valk types such as GLAUGs, NOUSJADEUL-GERs, REGULTs (Light Missle, Heavy Missle, Scout),etc...

So there.

:D

post-4-1072581003_thumb.jpg

Woooooooow! Great pics! I didn't know it was THAT much plastic for 12800yen!

Now that I actually see the correct scale comparison, 12800yen may not seem to be that much out of the line. It is still very expensive for a non-transformable plastic toy, but with its sheer size & presence, I may have to re-consider.....

They sure don't look THAT big in the movie though :lol: LOL

Edited by mpchi

I don't know what all the hubub is quite about, back when it was announced we all guessed it would cost this much anyway. At least they kept it under the cost of a 1/48 VF-1. Add in the size, I don't know wether that prototype pic is the actual current size or what, but it will have at least an inch or two over a 1/48. In DYRL, it didn't look that much bigger than a VF-1. but still bulkier and taller. All depends on the official stats, which will be what Yamato will go off of with the froating head's blessing.

It will be big, it will look sweet, and we don't know the die cast content yet. Even if it comes out to $110/115US, it still isn't that bad considering a 1/60 w/fast pack runs 80 dollars, or a 1/48 VF-1 without Fast Packs runs a little under 130. How many of us have paid close to $200 dollars after shipping for one with Fast Packs. How many (not me) have paid 150+ lately for a Low-Vis w/ no FP's.

I wish it all was cheaper, but I will not give myself a coronary over it.

Whoever wants a ultra cheap Q-rau can get a Bandai kit, or one from the K&M series figures. Those that want an uber Q-rau will get a Yamato. From this I'm amazed I haven't seen a "holy crap a 1/48 w/FP's cost 200 bucks??!!!" thread lately. Yeah, the Q-rau is expensive, but the level of detail is high, and it is huge.

Wait until they make a Glaug.

Edited by Anubis