Macross 7 OVA & Movie!

baronv

I've just started watching the Macross 7 t.v. series, and while it seems to be a really slow start (I'm on the second disc) anyting Macross related is still cool. I really enjoyed seeing Milia fly her old red VF-1. My question though is how good is the 30 min. movie and the 4 OVA of Mac 7? I pretty much just want to get them if there's more focus on the planes and more action and less music concerts.

There is some action in the "movie" if you want to call it that though I wouldn't recomend it to anyone I liked... The OVA is crap if you are lookin for action... It is about some fruity space whales... yeah thats right, space whales.

They fly through space and then die on a planet when their life is over IE they are old. Basara scares them out of lying down to die by showing them how lame and sissy he really is... Then they all frollic amongst the stars together like the teletubies giving a handjob to Michael Jackson.

The thing is a true show of crappyness upon total garbage. It is the shame of Macross.

The "movie" is a pretty good episode of the series but doesn't quite fit. There's a few decent missile salvos from Emilia's Q-rau but are useless against a Protodelvin, of course. On it's own, it served to interest me in the main series, so I think it's pretty good.

The OVA is worth it just to see Gamlin and his VF-22S in action towards the end. The whales and the story are different, but not bad. Graham and his Ahab shtick was kinda corny, though. ;)

Ignore A-1's fixation on teletubies, handjobs, and Michael Jackson. :lol:

Edited by Uxi

I've just started watching the Macross 7 t.v. series, and while it seems to be a really slow start (I'm on the second disc) anyting Macross related is still cool. I really enjoyed seeing Milia fly her old red VF-1. My question though is how good is the 30 min. movie and the 4 OVA of Mac 7? I pretty much just want to get them if there's more focus on the planes and more action and less music concerts.

Why not just watch 'em and find out?

I have to say MD7 and the movie are pretty good. Though is it really a movie. Its honestly just an episode with really good animation but like said it kinda doesn't fit in the series, same along with the Encore episodes. The ova is different but I really enjoyed it. It was a nice change which is what I love about Macross. Each series/ova are all different and each focuses on a different theme(all of which that appear in all the series since the beginning with SDF Macross).

If you actually see them and start to vomit don't even try the Macross 7 Encore Ova....is a complete POS! specially Fleet of the stupid women... I heard great things about it, but when I got to see it I was pissed at the crappyness..sadly Max became a wimp in Macross 7 and Millia is quite stupid also, I'm with Agent one on this, everything Macross 7 is a shame to the macross franchise, however I respect the people who likes it; I think that a future series that portrays the M7 events as a soap opera in the macross universe would be awesome, no more M7-like crap but still cannon.

Later

It's the frakking holiday season, let up on 7 already!

With that said, Dynamite will kick your ass.

As for the movie, it fits perfectly into the series, specifically just after the attempted capture of Glabil, but before operation stargazer.

Edited by Keith

now that both sides have spoken....M7 is really iffy, as well as MD7, if you liked M7, you'll probably like MD7, but on the other hand if you hated M7 (a la A-1) then you'll probably not even bother watching MD7 at all. it's one of those series' which you'll either mostly like it/love it (keith), or you'll really hate it even though it's Macross (another reference to A-1).

i'm one of the few who's in-between on it.

Dynamite 7 is probably my favourite Macross OVA, moreso than Macross Plus or Macross Zero. It's got a couple nifty action sequences, but if that's what you're looking for you're much better off with Plus or Zero, as none of the M7 stories are really about the action, more about the story, theme, and characters.