EXO

Having very powerful predators stalking you all the time to the point of being driven close to extinction is not "every problem".

So because there is a an existential threat, everybody must think exactly the same as you? That's a ridiculous position. Already you see very clear divisions within the government between various factions including the survey corps, Wallists (the religious zealots) and the central elite. Having people suggest that they might not feel comfortable using Eren to fight the titans is by no means a stretch. It was pretty evident that people would rather use Eren as a research subject in order to discover alternate ways to defeat the Titans.

And what happens afterwards? Do you justify everything according to the good of the people? Its pretty evident much of the populace does not trust the ruling elites. They already have used extreme methods to pursue other goals not directly related to combating the Titans. Potential Famine? Send 250,000 people to their deaths. That is despite the ruling elite and members of the interior walls continue to live in relative affluence. Many of their decisions are not predicated on the survival of humanity but the survival of their current system of inequality.

Armin and his cohort don't feel comfortable in the direction.... I would be too if I just watched a city get razed and several thousand of its inhabitants get killed in order to "capture" a threat. Frankly, it would be completely unrealistic for a character NOT to question tactics in that situation: you'd be a psychopath otherwise.

You'd have a point with this if Eren wasn't so content with it as long as he keeps his hellbent intention on eliminating titans.

So one individual does believe the ends justify the means. Does that automatically mean everybody has to agree with him? Certainly many of his colleagues don't feel comfortable with his view... even the ruling elites constantly seem on the verge of dissecting him in order to discover his powers.

That is until the next generation when paradigms shift, much like throughout history. This also is not counting the fact that organisms (not just humans) try to adapt to survive to keep themselves alive.

Or they don't shift, or learn the wrong lessons, justifying continued bad behavior because it was effective and/or expedient. That's happened quite a bit as well.

So because there is a an existential threat, everybody must think exactly the same as you?

I never said this or even implied it.

Potential Famine? Send 250,000 people to their deaths.

You make it sound like there is a third option. In addition said quarter million went willingly thinking they could defeat the titans.

you'd be a psychopath otherwise.

The word you're looking for is sociopath, it is an extremely common mistake however.

So one individual does believe the ends justify the means. Does that automatically mean everybody has to agree with him?

And this has to do with what I said because....

Certainly many of his colleagues don't feel comfortable with his view

And most of them were crushed by Annie when they told him not to transform.

even the ruling elites constantly seem on the verge of dissecting him in order to discover his powers.

For scientific purposes in all likelyhood.

It's only a matter of time I think. Other series that have been far, far less succesful get a second season.

I think they might be waiting simply for there to be more material to make it. So far the anime has adapted 33 out of 49 chapters. Maybe they'll wait a year to have another 30 or so chapters to adapt. I don't think the hype this anime has created will die down so soon, specially because it's style and subject matter isn't really being covered by many shows out there.

I never said this or even implied it.

Oh yes you did. You're claiming that because humanity is faced by an existential threat, restraining oneself and not using the extremest of methods is completely unrealistic in their situation. You also stated that the producers simply added this view in order to make the show deep. So you are clearly implying that people should think in the Zero-sum, employ all methods in order to win, otherwise its not a credible view of people in that situation.

You make it sound like there is a third option.

Concerning the food situation or the use of Eren. You're not clear.

In addition said quarter million went willingly thinking they could defeat the titans.

Yeah, that's just not supported by anything in the show. I'm sure that the 250,000 people without maneuver gear, horses or the barest of military training really thought they had a chance. Hell, if that worked, why didn't they send vast armies out earlier to retake the land. If anything it seems that these people were coerced by the government to undertake the attack.

And this has to do with what I said because....

I don't know, you're the one who started this tangent up in the first place... I'm just responding to show how shallow a line of reasoning it was.

And most of them were crushed by Annie when they told him not to transform.

This is a massive contradiction given your first statement. First you claim that you never stated that people must conform to a single view when faced with an existential threat, then you just go and state that the people who thought of an alternate plan just died and were wrong.

Having reticence towards a method of war does not mean you can't condone its use. I can tell you that from personal experience. Certainly in any such situation you have people who don't think about the consequences and willingly use all methods possible. Then there are others who do constantly doubt and reconsider various tactics and strategies we employ. Its always a range.

What Armin is stating isn't at all different from what I've seen or heard. You going on about how ridiculous it is, frankly shows your lack familiarity in this area.

For scientific purposes in all likelyhood.

Its still an alternate approach to using him as an uncontrollable weapon.

Concerning the food situation or the use of Eren. You're not clear.

The food.

Hell, if that worked, why didn't they send vast armies out earlier to retake the land

Because they apparently were not deperate enough.

You're claiming that because humanity is faced by an existential threat, restraining oneself and not using the extremest of methods is completely unrealistic in their situation.

Pretty sure I never addressed the "extremest of methods".

First you claim that you never stated that people must conform to a single view when faced with an existential threat, then you just go and state that the people who thought of an alternate plan just died and were wrong.

All I did is state what happened to them.

Its still an alternate approach to using him as an uncontrollable weapon.

Um.... Okay then?

What Armin is stating isn't at all different from what I've seen or heard.

No, you are actually trying and present your case (very well I might add).

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Hunting for mikasa figma after watching it is a guarantee, but she's a badass. Manga seems to know where its going so far and doesn't seem like its stretched out for the sake of stretching it out.

Aw man, I'll have to pay extra for shipping again, most probably HLJ. The local hobby store's pre-order for Mikasa was sold out age ago.

Good to know that it's actually going in a fixed direction instead of wandering off the main plot like Naruto does oftentimes.

Rest assure that the creator has an ending planned. He actually aims to complete his manga in 20 book volumes. The last one was the 11th.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-25/attack-on-titan-creator-aims-to-end-manga-in-20-volumes

You know they “could” always stretch the anime but NEVER as much as Naruto. That thing is still going in manga form. When a manga series has an ending they normally end the anime or if they catch up to the manga they go with a different story. Full Metal Alchemist was popular and the first anime had its own ending.

I guess I'd better start watching, then!

If anyone's looking for me, I'll be holed up in my man cave with a month's worth of MRE's and water, huddled over my laptop marathoning the series.

Pretty damn late to the party, but I just watched the first ep.

...holy crap.

I don't think I've given such a damn about an anime in a long time. Can't wait for my ISP's fair usage quota to top up again and continue with the rest of the series.

Might as well start looking for an online shop that still has open pre-orders for the Mikasa figma while I'm waiting.

All hail Eren the

titan overlord or titan jesus? Oh and +1 for Mikasa for admitting her feelings to Eren.

I'm starting to not like Mikasa. Not spoiler, but rather, how she's just manipulating him to get him to do what she wants and obey him in a strange way. You see it the anime as well, convincing him to fight Annie.

Edited by Archer

The theories are now all over the place due to this latest happening. And the question that has been asked since the first volume/first episode booms louder than ever

"What the hell is in that basement?!!!"

I'm starting to not like Mikasa. Not spoiler, but rather, how she's just manipulating him to get him to do what she wants and obey him in a strange way. You see it the anime as well, convincing him to fight Annie.

Women...what else is new?

poor hanz but we knew that was coming as soon as he got heroic. Will be interesting when eren goes up against the monkey.

I think more than anything it's been made pretty clear both in the manga and the anime that Eren Jaeger isn't going to win any "Sharpest mind inside the Walls Award" He needs some pointing in the right direction for many things.

lol! so true.

i've nothing at all on Mikasa. if anything, she's the one giving up a lot of things she wants or would rather have her way (eg. not joining the survey corps, or the army in the first place), all so she can make sure little Eren is safe and warm. but when the situation calls for it (ie. Eren in danger, or Eren can't make up his damn mind), she takes charge. so yeah i can appreciate (a little bit) how that might be seen as self-serving.