FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

Probaly the only thing you've got better than me.

Hey Vostok go talk to Isaco in Selbina and see if he calls you a little girl like he did to me. Selbina the best place to fish.

I gotta get to my mog house someday... I had sandra send me all her stuff and she had a willow fishing rod and some nice crystals.

Selbina is a neat little place, I kinda liked it there. Sometime I should head through La Thien and see how far to San d'Oria I can get. See if I can run into Lyss on my way.

Vostok 7

Great.... I'm on my way back from Bastok. I got cursed last night, didn't think it was a big deal, but the 2 guys who helped me were talking almost as if I was an undead. :o

Now I just need to work on reaching lv20. Being a whm is both a pain and cool. Pain because you can't fight anything. And cool because at lv8, I already have ppl killing themselves to party with me. :lol:

What's a whm? My friend just got FFXI a few weeks ago so I've been hearing him talk about, but my FFXI lexicon is still rather limited.

it's the abbrv. for the different jobs... WAR = Warrior, PLD = Paladin, RDM = Red Mage, etc. WHM is White Mage, possibly the most important, invaluable class in the damn game...

For instance, I'm a lvl 14 WAR, lvl 6 MNK (monk) at the moment... but I haven't had time to work on MNK at all.

Partying makes you learn the job abbrv.s pretty quick :D

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Honestly... all you need to know is the many job abreviations, tnl (to next level) and a tank does. Everything else is just... errr.... useless, really.

Yesterday was a good day, 12 hours of gameplay, went up 3 lvs, and played with what a friend calls a "good party". Seriously, we battled very tough and incredibly tough monsters without a whm for the most part. :blink:

I'm ready to do the chocobo the quest, and I heard it takes at least 6 hours to complete. :o

But I bet being able to rent a chocobo will make everything worth it. :)

I went from halfway to 15 to 3/4 of the way to 16 over a couple hours... I got myself an excellent party.

Parties really seem to be hit and miss... Sometimes you get some great people who really know what they are doing and take the partying seriously, and then sometimes you get people who are just going to mess around.

The party I was in last night was making 5 EXP chains left and right... It was excellent. We all started as 14s... And I got 1 piece for the subjob quest.

Vostok 7

I've gotten an exp chain only once. That was when I was using my 2hour monk attack, belew through two even conned rock eaters with it. The exp chain made the exp from the second kill 120 instead of the normal 100 I would have gotten for it. I would have gotten another one I think i someone hadn't taken the the other rock eater that had appeared right next to me since I still had a few seconds left on the ability.

YAY! The Chocobo ate its first grass!! 3 more hours to go!! :lol:

As for xp chain. Xp chain happens when you kill an even match or the different kind of tough enemies one after the other within a 1 minute time interval. After the first chain.... the "break" time decreases. So if you killed a tough monster, and then you started a fight with a second tough monster 30 seconds after then first battle, you gain a slight xp boost from the second monster. If you fight a third tough monster, that monster will have an even bigger xp boost. If I recall, the first time limit is 1 minute, the second 30 second, the third 10 seconds, and every subsequent time is 10 seconds.

Its really tough to chain IT monsters, but chaining tough monsters is the best way to make xp quickly. :)

I do sorta regret not playing the game anymore :( but I just don't wanna spend the money at this time so I completely deleted it off my computer but I still got till Feburary or March till the game data is erased from the servers...so who knows, maybe when I get the PS2 version...

Vostok.... to get a really long xp chain... all you need is 2 good tanks, 2 good strikers, and 2 good whms. 1 of the whms will always heal while the other rests. Alternate the whms between battle... and you can stay in constant battle and still have fully rests whms to aid you. :)

And now.... everyone bow before the mighty of the bird!!! :lol:

post-26-1073267821_thumb.jpg

Abombz, did I ever tell you I hate you? :p

I tried powerleveling with Yoh but it didn't go so hot... Oh well. Grr, I wish I had made more progress today. I could have made 17 if I had really pushed it.

I got a great /em for that claymore Abombz... you'll have to see it :lol:;):lol:

Vostok 7

Alright Abombz :).

The monk thing was going kinda slow so I switched over a black mage for a while. Making some good progress(still below 10), honestly I should have started with this class from the start since all I've played in other games were casters and took them to high levels. So these I know how to play, in and out of groups.

Edited by Effect

The monk thing was going kinda slow so I switched over a black mage for a while. Making some good progress, honestly I should have started with this class from the start since all I've played in other games were casters and took them to high levels.

whitemage is a quick way to lvl and party too.

Though I found that from 15 up, WAR becomes a pretty hot profession.

Monk is going to be my subjob.

Vostok 7

The easy way to get around lag spikes is to set heal into macros and keep mashing the buttons and hope for the best. ;) Man I subbed as a whm till lvl8 added it to my lvl19 rdm and I got like and extra 100 hp and 30mp. :)

Oh and abombz, when you see Vos' emotes you'll wish we could p/k him. :lol:

All I have to do now is find a way to Jueno w/o getting killed. :p

White mage is the next job I want to try out. I've always been afraid to play healing classes though, I hate to be responsible for keeping everyone alive. To much pressure in my opinion, especially when you get hit with a lag spike.

I got to warn you though. Untill you reach lv10, its going to be sooooooo boring. Seriously, every low lv character in the area will want to party with you, but you will get nothing but crummy xp if you accept. It gets specially boring around lv8 and 9. And also.... its an extremely expensive class, and I would suggest you try to get to Sandoria to lv up. Its the best place for white mages. :)

Of course, walking to Windhurst is kinda hard...

Vostok 7

Not so.

You've been looking for your subjob items so I assume you're already in Valkurm. Head to Selbina and take the ship (100gil) to Mhaura and don't fight any monsters that appear on the deck. From there head out to Buburimu then to Tahrongi and south to Sarutabaruta. Buburimu and Tahrongi is Windurst's version of Valkurm and Konschtat so while there are some toughies, it should be easy to avoid them.

Not so.

You've been looking for your subjob items so I assume you're already in Valkurm. Head to Selbina and take the ship (100gil) to Mhaura and don't fight any monsters that appear on the deck. From there head out to Buburimu then to Tahrongi and south to Sarutabaruta. Buburimu and Tahrongi is Windurst's version of Valkurm and Konschtat so while there are some toughies, it should be easy to avoid them.

That's why I said walking to Windhurst is tough ;)

I knew about the ship to Mhaura. 100g is pocket change for that far of a trip!!

Vostok 7

Not so.

You've been looking for your subjob items so I assume you're already in Valkurm.  Head to Selbina and take the ship (100gil) to Mhaura and don't fight any monsters that appear on the deck.  From there head out to Buburimu then to Tahrongi and south to Sarutabaruta.  Buburimu and Tahrongi is Windurst's version of Valkurm and Konschtat so while there are some toughies, it should be easy to avoid them.

That's why I said walking to Windhurst is tough ;)

I knew about the ship to Mhaura. 100g is pocket change for that far of a trip!!

Vostok 7

Dear god, you shouldn't even consider walking that.

I don't even chocobo that distance. :o

Hey imode exactly what lvl are you anyways?  You seem to be the most powerful out of us all.

48...? :unsure:

:blink: And you started around the same time as us!! I hate you the most!! :p

Vostok 7

Well, what's odd is that I actually should be a lot farther. Recently I've been partying with people who used to party with back when i was level 25 and stuff. Like this one guy I used to party with when I was a monk and he was a black mage. Now I'm still a monk, and he's a dragoon, which means that in the time it took for me to gain 23 levels, he gained 53.

Well, what's odd is that I actually should be a lot farther.  Recently I've been partying with people who used to party with back when i was level 25 and stuff.  Like this one guy I used to party with when I was a monk and he was a black mage.  Now I'm still a monk, and he's a dragoon, which means that in the time it took for me to gain 23 levels, he gained 53.

:lol: I guess we all have that problem... Abombz is running circles around me in a Chocobo, Yohsho is nearly too... And in the time it took them to go from 13 to 20, I went from 10 to 16. And had to make level 11 six times. And had 3 months I screwed around in while I could have been catching up. All in a game I bought to play with my friends, who I've barely even seen in the game.

I love this game, but at times it can be very frustrating.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Well, what's odd is that I actually should be a lot farther.  Recently I've been partying with people who used to party with back when i was level 25 and stuff.  Like this one guy I used to party with when I was a monk and he was a black mage.  Now I'm still a monk, and he's a dragoon, which means that in the time it took for me to gain 23 levels, he gained 53.

:lol: I guess we all have that problem... Abombz is running circles around me in a Chocobo, Yohsho is nearly too... And in the time it took them to go from 13 to 20, I went from 10 to 16. And had to make level 11 six times. And had 3 months I screwed around in while I could have been catching up. All in a game I bought to play with my friends, who I've barely even seen in the game.

I love this game, but at times it can be very frustrating.

Vostok 7

Blame yourself for that. You had 4 whole weeks to lv up... and instead you decided it was a better idea to create a second character.... and be a WAR again. :rolleyes: <_<

Something really strange, PT with my bro and took him into the highlands for a bit and saw monkies!

They were named Hear-no-Evil, See-no-evil and Touch-no-evil.

Very poor pic of one of them, they're fast little guys, but they do look like monkies.

Oh, btw-- this is for New Years, as 2004 calendar year is the Year of the Monkey meaning yet another 12 year span of my life has comed to a close :/

Trading worthless items you don't need to Papa Monkey will get you all sorts of buffs and New Years gifts (otoshidama) which up your fishing kill temporarily when used. The decorations are tradtional New Years decorations called Matsutake, matsu meaning Pine and take meaning Bamboo.

Oh, Has anyone tried the teleportation service yet? I'm not totally clear on it, but it seems like you have to do supply runs, and pay money and all that junk. Makes me wish I was a thief and could afford a nice pair of strider boots instead of constantly paying my way just to get somewhere.