FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

DOH, I wish I knew these things before. Meh, I personally only check cuz I see some cool armor on ppl, and they happen to be running right past me and I can't type fast enough to ask.

The only way I found out what the Iron Musketteer Armor look like: Checked an elvaan wearing it who had a bazaar.

While it is a little annoying its also much easier and less frustrating to do that. Its the entire setup of the menus for FFXI. To do a search and to attempt to get past the language problem just takes way to much time. That's really my only problem with the game. For the PC versions they should have taken the time to come up with a much better interface, hell there are several other games out there they could have looked at when making a good interface.

Several things look the same yet are differnt. Swords for example. There are three different swords of different levels I've run across that all look the same once you equip them. It isn't a game where you can tell what something is just by looking. Also it saves the other player time from having to open their inventory to check or stop from what they are doing just to say yes or no. Also can't the notice that you are being inspected be turn off with chat filters.

I don't even care anymore when people inspec me. It used to bother me, especially in other games but here not so much do to know how much easier it is to do to check someone's level and jobs. Instead of doing a search, sorting through the list, checking the small print with the names and levels. Trying to make sure you aren't reading line and going into the one above or below it by mistake. Presentation is bad in this area.

While it is a little annoying its also much easier and less frustrating to do that. Its the entire setup of the menus for FFXI. To do a search and to attempt to get past the language problem just takes way to much time. That's really my only problem with the game. For the PC versions they should have taken the time to come up with a much better interface, hell there are several other games out there they could have looked at when making a good interface.

Several things look the same yet are differnt. Swords for example. There are three different swords of different levels I've run across that all look the same once you equip them. It isn't a game where you can tell what something is just by looking. Also it saves the other player time from having to open their inventory to check or stop from what they are doing just to say yes or no. Also can't the notice that you are being inspected be turn off with chat filters.

I don't even care anymore when people inspec me. It used to bother me, especially in other games but here not so much do to know how much easier it is to do to check someone's level and jobs. Instead of doing a search, sorting through the list, checking the small print with the names and levels. Trying to make sure you aren't reading line and going into the one above or below it by mistake. Presentation is bad in this area.

In the end... the game is just a PS2 port. Square probably didn't want to refine the PC version of the game and end up lowering the sales of the PS2 version. And you got to remember, PC gaming is not as main stream in Japan as it is in the US, so Square probably thought it wouldn't be worth the time to change the interface. Oh well... I kind of like it, honestly. Being able to play the game entirely on the keyboard is rather refreshing. Now... if only they had changed the mouse pointer color so it wouldn't blend so well with the back ground. <_<

I'm just glad that some of the ideas that were well excecuted in FFXI will be used in Worlds of Warcraft. :)

True PC gaming isn't as big there as it is in the US. Heres hoping once the worldwide PS2 version launches there will an upgrade to the PC interface. Also I agree the mouse pointer really needs to be fixed.

You don't need to wait that long... start hitting their customer support and they will fix it. They did that with the Auction House and the alt+tab and the windows key thing. :)

True PC gaming isn't as big there as it is in the US. Heres hoping once the worldwide PS2 version launches there will an upgrade to the PC interface. Also I agree the mouse pointer really needs to be fixed.

I believe there's a way top remove the 3d skin off the mouse pointer so it's its ugly white self again. What I want is a Japanese IME for the NA release. Working with the auto translator is unbelievably frustrating as it just plain doesn't work. It only helps to further seperate Japanese players from American players.

My conversations with Japanese people typically go like this:

Imode: Konbanwa, PT kumimasen ka?

(Hello, would you like to form a party?)

Kotans: ‚È‚ñ‚Å“ú–{Œê‚Å‚È‚¢‚ÌH

(Why isn't your typing in Japanese?)

Imode: Amerikajin to iu wake nan desu ga...

(Because I'm American...)

Kotans: ‚È‚ñ‚Å“ú–{Œê‚ªo—ˆ‚éHI

(How in the world do you understand Japanese!?)

Imode: Nihongo ga dekiru Amerikajin kekkou iru to omoimasu kedo

(Well, there are a few of us who do understand the language...)

Kotans: ‚ [‚·‚Ý‚Ü‚¹‚ñOOG@‚±‚Ì‘OƒAƒƒŠƒJl‚Æ‚Ì‚ ‚ñ‚Ü‚è—Ç‚­‚È‚¢ŒoŒ±‚ʼn“—¶‚³‚¹‚Ä‚¢‚½‚¾‚«‚Ü‚·B iGM„Dj

(Oh, I'm sorry, but I have had bad experiences with American players in the past, so I'll have to pass.)

So yeah.... there's a typical conversation I have when looking for party members. Not being able to type Japanese in game pissed me off to no end. Especially when you need help for questing. I'm going to be after my AF3 pretty soon, and recommended party is 15 people at level 55??? Where the heck am I going to get 15 people at level 55 if not for the Japanese?!

Well yeah, everything was copacetic at first, but lately the antics of a few stupid NA players has created all sorts of problems. Just this weekend, there was this paladin in my party, and he accidentally aggro'd something during our downtime between fights, so a few of us busted our 2 hours to kill it. But he tried to play the hero and provoked it and ran off in another direction so he could "pull" it away from us. Unfortunately it killed him rather quickly, and on it's way back, it linked up with 2 more baddies. So we decided to run, because honestly, you don't really want to die in this situation. Our dragoon was killed shortly after and they all started following our samurai. As we were running to the exit, we must have ended up linking at least 30 baddies in this HUGE mess and when we zoned, all 30 were left at the zone. Groups would zone in unknowingly and just get destroyed as soon as they spawned on the other side. We waited a little while till they started retreating from the entrance and we went back in to go raise our dragoon. Then this other dumb NA player goes and Diaga's the whole mass resulting in 7 people dying and 3 leveling down. I tried to explain to all the Japanese players what happened, but instead I got a lot of angry tells and offensive remarks out of it.

Funny thing, here on FFVAULT's lakshmi forum (http://vnboards.ign.com/Lakshmi/b22563/61392810/p1/) they have their own Lakshmi blacklist going on. Whether it's a joke or not, Dmseky's list has the dumb paladin that started it all, and lower at the bottom jstjhn mentions the guy who Diaga'd the 20 or so mobs.

I believe there's a way top remove the 3d skin off the mouse pointer so it's its ugly white self again. What I want is a Japanese IME for the NA release. Working with the auto translator is unbelievably frustrating as it just plain doesn't work. It only helps to further seperate Japanese players from American players.

My conversations with Japanese people typically go like this:

Imode: Konbanwa, PT kumimasen ka?

(Hello, would you like to form a party?)

Kotans: ‚È‚ñ‚Å“ú–{Œê‚Å‚È‚¢‚ÌH

(Why isn't your typing in Japanese?)

Imode: Amerikajin to iu wake nan desu ga...

(Because I'm American...)

Kotans: ‚È‚ñ‚Å“ú–{Œê‚ªo—ˆ‚éHI

(How in the world do you understand Japanese!?)

Imode: Nihongo ga dekiru Amerikajin kekkou iru to omoimasu kedo

(Well, there are a few of us who do understand the language...)

Kotans: ‚ [‚·‚Ý‚Ü‚¹‚ñOOG@‚±‚Ì‘OƒAƒƒŠƒJl‚Æ‚Ì‚ ‚ñ‚Ü‚è—Ç‚­‚È‚¢ŒoŒ±‚ʼn“—¶‚³‚¹‚Ä‚¢‚½‚¾‚«‚Ü‚·B iGM„Dj

(Oh, I'm sorry, but I have had bad experiences with American players in the past, so I'll have to pass.)

So yeah.... there's a typical conversation I have when looking for party members. Not being able to type Japanese in game pissed me off to no end. Especially when you need help for questing. I'm going to be after my AF3 pretty soon, and recommended party is 15 people at level 55??? Where the heck am I going to get 15 people at level 55 if not for the Japanese?!

Imode.... I understand how you feel. When I play with my white mage early in the morning, I keep getting tells from japanese players. Since early in the morning for me is not so late at night in Japan, they figure 99% of the players are japanese speakers. At first, I would try to answer as best as I could (I can't read kanji) and tell them to use hiragana and katakana only. Some of them were flattered that I could speak at least a little bit of the language and even read katakana and hiragana, while other would reply the same way they do to you. Now, I simply tell them that I speak english only, and I can't help them because I've had bad experiences with playing with Japanese.

Some japanese players seem to have more patience with foreign players then others. But honestly, seeing the new wave of players, I can't really blame them for being hostile. I just wish Square would find a way to split the players into different language groups instead of just japanese and english. I don't mean setting up servers with different language, I simply mean they should allow you to put more language for party searching. And let you put your country on your profile page at POL. Seriously... if they have Canada in there... why the heck can't they put more countries up? And the funny thing is... you have to have an american address to play the game, but your credit card doesn't need to be american, and in POL you can only be american, japanese or canadia. I find that extremely short sighted and messed up. <_<

Interesting. Maybe it's because you have played more than me, but every time I've partied with a Japanese person, it's gone pretty smooth, even if they know only a little bit of english.

If everyone knows their job, then there's usually no problem in my experience.

I always make sure to be courtious to Japanese players.

Vostok 7

Interesting. Maybe it's because you have played more than me, but every time I've partied with a Japanese person, it's gone pretty smooth, even if they know only a little bit of english.

If everyone knows their job, then there's usually no problem in my experience.

I always make sure to be courtious to Japanese players.

Vostok 7

Thats because you usually approach the player. Japanese players that are on at that time are usually a different breed of players then what I get when I play early in the morning.

And one thing... I hate american players. I don't know why, but for some reason most of them think its funny to spam the log with useless messages, most of wich make no sense due to poor spelling and sentence structuring(sp). They never spell anything properly (I saw a Swedish player go off on an american player because no one could understand what the heck he was saying), they macro some really vulgar phrases, love to put swears in ability macros, slap you if you don't do your bitting, and rarely know how the game works. Sometimes... I feel as though my IQ drops when playing with them for the sheer stupidity. Now, foreign players are awsome groupers because they say the absolute minimum and when they do say something its game related.

And I'm aware there are good american players... but at my current lv I seem to only find stupid players who would be better if shot. <_<

Thats because you usually approach the player. Japanese players that are on at that time are usually a different breed of players then what I get when I play early in the morning.

And one thing... I hate american players. I don't know why, but for some reason most of them think its funny to spam the log with useless messages, most of wich make no sense due to poor spelling and sentence structuring(sp). They never spell anything properly (I saw a Swedish player go off on an american player because no one could understand what the heck he was saying), they macro some really vulgar phrases, love to put swears in ability macros, slap you if you don't do your bitting, and rarely know how the game works. Sometimes... I feel as though my IQ drops when playing with them for the sheer stupidity. Now, foreign players are awsome groupers because they say the absolute minimum and when they do say something its game related.

And I'm aware there are good american players... but at my current lv I seem to only find stupid players who would be better if shot. <_<

Actually, I totally agree.

I've ran into some horrible American players. One group I was in, one of the guys started asking everyone which country had the hottest girls. A couple of us (me, and a guy from Germany) said countries other than America, and were told we were idiots. :rolleyes: They were also the first group I ran into that actually had preferences about which in game countries they partied with.

So yeah, I agree with you... But generally, I've been pretty lucky when it comes to partying apparently. I haven't run into nearly the amount of unsavory players as you guys have seemed to.

Vostok 7

Seriously.... watching someone spam the log with "I wish I had a FG so I could shove it up <te>s ass" is extremely annoying and pathetic. <_<

There was some guy standing at the HP near the highlands doing music spells like every 5 seconds last night. I was about to take his pipe and stick it somewhere more useful.

Vostok 7

Seriously.... watching someone spam the log with "I wish I had a FG so I could shove it up <te>s ass" is extremely annoying and pathetic. <_<

There was some guy standing at the HP near the highlands doing music spells like every 5 seconds last night. I was about to take his pipe and stick it somewhere more useful.

Vostok 7

Heh, you get used to that. Support jobs (mages, bards etc) don't get the chance to level up their spell skills as much as warriors do. As a monk, all I have to do is punch away and my hand to hand skills will always be maxed out. Mages and bards on the other hand have all sorts of magic classes elemental, enhancing, enfeeblement, healing etc, and not all of them get used repeatedly and it becomes very difficult to keep the skills up completely. That's why, sometimes you'll see a guy sitting in the corner of the boat to Mhaura doing nothing except casting protect and shell on himself. Not because he's bored, but because he has to level up his magic skills.

This is very true of casters to cast spells on themselves just so the level goes up or to play songs all the time when they aren't doing anything. I've been known to do that in other games, even cast low level offensive spells on myself if there is a line that I don't use that much. Sucks to get a powerful spell but have it miss or have the spell fizzle. That was true in Everquest where most fights due to the spells being so powerful that a wizard or mage would use one or two spells per mob and sit out the rest of the fight cause of the amount of hate generate from the damage. I can understand that with healers as well since all they do is heal so they have to work on their enhancing line or even vs. Undead spell lines if they have it. Since I've started grouping as a monk my evasion and guard skills aren't going up the way they used to when I soloed. Since I'm not tanking the mob. I'm going to be screwed if I happen to draw aggro from the mob during fights since I'm going to take every single hit.

Habits like this carry over from other games. That and sometimes people are so bored while they are waiting for a spot in a group to open up. Waiting an hour or so leaves very little to do.

Argh you and you getting lvl21 and your chocobo. I want my chocobo, too sick to get my chocobo, too scared to try to make it to Jueno to get my chocobo. :( Its a lvl25 cap for the Emissary mission and stuff. I just remembered, I need cash again, damn high maintenence red mages.

Argh you and you getting lvl21 and your chocobo. I want my chocobo, too sick to get my chocobo, too scared to try to make it to Jueno to get my chocobo. :( Its a lvl25 cap for the Emissary mission and stuff. I just remembered, I need cash again, damn high maintenence red mages.

I told you I could help you get to Jueno.... just say the word. :)

Finally, I reached lvl 30 and I go get the Ninja sub job.

Actually, I have a question. Should I level up little bit more before doing the Ninja sub job quest?

Yes... and no. First... you need a high lv party to go with you. I have seen 12 lv35s getting massacred in the palladin quest. Your best bet if getting some lv50 players to go with you on the quest. Second, lving up a bit more wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

And be prepared to spend alot of money on that job.... its the most expensive job in the game. :blink:

Edited by Abombz!!

Finally, I reached lvl 30 and I go get the Ninja sub job.

Actually, I have a question. Should I level up little bit more before doing the Ninja sub job quest?

Yes... and no. First... you need a high lv party to go with you. I have seen 12 lv35s getting massacred in the palladin quest. Your best bet if getting some lv50 players to go with you on the quest. Second, lving up a bit more wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

And be prepared to spend alot of money on that job.... its the most expensive job in the game. :blink:

I agree. Leveling up a bit more can't hurt. Unfortunately "a bit more" is still not enough to handle the quest on your own. The leeches are the thing of nightmares basically. 6 level 35's could probably take a leech with no problem. Unfortunately you have to fight 3 at once which means you'd probably need 18 people running around. Also, you probably don't have a map of the Koroloka Tunnel which could also create a few more problems for you. I had a level 70 paladin help me when I went for it. There was a level 65 monk with him, and the monk was getting smashed pretty bad. Once that part is over, the second nasty part is getting to Norg. This is partially easy because you can just chocobo it from Kazham to the waterfall tunnel. Once you get there though, you'll either need plenty of sneak/invis or a couple high level bodyguards guiding you through the Sea Serpent Grotto (you most likely will not have a map of this place either). The Sahagin and undead there are a nasty bunch. And just so you don't make the same mistake I did, once you've reached Norg, you may want to activate the Samurai quest as well, just so you don't have to make repeated trips to Norg.

Yeah, but it looks soo cool!!!

Except that your delay time is doubled... So yeah, you can double weapon, but the delay time of each sword is added togeather... Not that great.

They got some nice attacks though.

Vostok 7

Except that your delay time is doubled... So yeah, you can double weapon, but the delay time of each sword is added togeather... Not that great.

Vostok 7

Ou, but like the monk they receive passive skills which cut the base delay of dual wield. Unfortunately, their A+ weapons, the 1-handed Katana, are weaker than crap and their weapon skills are horrible. Ninja does make a nice sub for thief however as you receive nice boosts in dex and agi which will only make your sneak+trick attacks nastier, and ability to use certain ninjitsu like utsusemi will make you untouchable.

Vostok 7

Have you seen a fully armored Samurai? No? Then you haven't lived yet. <_<

I see them all the time, well not in really high lvl areas, the funny thing is when they wear scale armor they have little plates that cover their tales.

What I don't see is many Elvaan females, its like everyone wants to play as an Elvaan male and pretend to be legolas. I have seen about 10 females, but that's because I hang around Bastok too, much. Or I just might be weird. :blink: Maybe ppl don't like playing as elvaan females cuz they're scary?

Edited by Yohsho

I see them all the time, well not in really high lvl areas, the funny thing is when they wear scale armor they have little plates that cover their tales.

What I don't see is many Elvaan females, its like everyone wants to play as an Elvaan male and pretend to be legolas. I have seen about 10 females, but that's because I hang around Bastok too, much. Or I just might be weird. :blink: Maybe ppl don't like playing as elvaan females cuz they're scary?

If you want to see Elvanns, go to San d'Oria.

Vostok 7

Yes, but if I go to Sand'Oria I'll be normal there. :D I'll go there when I'm good and ready. (When I wanna go do the Paladin job Quest or something else) Right now I kinda like being the only girl elvaan in bastok.