FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

Makes me wish I was a thief and could afford a nice pair of strider boots instead of constantly paying my way just to get somewhere.

Makes me wish I had treasure finder and get a pair of jumping boots (or whatever they are called) and sell them for 250k. <_<

Yeah, you know those insanely expensive rare items. I don't understand them. It says you need to be level 20 to use them, but you have to be level 50 in order to kill the monster that drops them. Then by the time you're level 50, there's something else for you to wear, and you have to be level 60 to kill what drops those. /cry

Yeah, you know those insanely expensive rare items.  I don't understand them.  It says you need to be level 20 to use them, but you have to be level 50 in order to kill the monster that drops them.  Then by the time you're level 50, there's something else for you to wear, and you have to be level 60 to kill what drops those.  /cry

At least it's better than SWG and it's 100% player-based economy. It was like a Microsoft, Enron and RIAA run world what with all the monopolies, pricefixing and gouging that went on. And on top of that, there was exaustable resources... Which meant the 10,000c Carbine you needed for your next level would be 500,000c by the time you could buy it, and by the time you had that kind of money, wouldn't be able to be made again. And then you had to deal with item decay!

Grr, the more and more I think about SWG, the more and more I barely miss it.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

And on top of that, there was exaustable resources...  Which meant the 10,000c Carbine you needed for your next level would be 500,000c by the time you could buy it, and by the time you had that kind of money, wouldn't be able to be made again.  And then you had to deal with item decay!

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about here, since that's decidedly not my experience in my 6 months of playing. There isn't much price gouging in the way of standard weapons, at least not on my server. A good non-Krayt carbine runs from 10k to 20k, and always has. When the resource exhaust, miners simply move onto the next similar quality resource. Usually they'll have enough material stockpiled to keep making what they make, to last until the next shift and then some. Rarity doesn't come into play at all in a noticible way for many staple items. And consistent quality carbines are almost always available at constant prices, give an occasional few days wait. I would know, I'm a carbineer, and I've seen top-rated Laser-carbines around all the time.

Furthermore, one gets certed for the best carbines pretty fast, and from there on, all the carbines are available to you. There's no constant progression of certifications to chase, and 10-20k credits is not hard to come by for a medium level character with those certifications. Takes all of an hour or two. Much less if you know who to group with.

Granted, there are certain items with rare spawning material, or with the material always being low quality-- and that's somewhat problematic: ie. Elite Carbines. But they're not things you positively can't live without.

If anything, prices are actually pretty consistent for regular common merchandise, *except* for premium rare things like Krayt weapons and Holocrons. I'm actually quite surprised at how stable the player economy is on my server. I expect to pay a certain amount, and almost every vendor in the galaxy charges roughly that-- maybe twice as much in some parts, in a rare and worst case.

And item decay doesn't hurt nary that bad. I've only had to replace a few weapons, and most of the others I could prolong simply by fixing them with inexpensive repair kits. And it isn't because I don't play much or use them much. I've played enough to Master Carbineer.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

Maybe it was just our server then because there were many times I was told "can't make it anymore" whenever I asked about something I needed. I worked my tail off for some carbine I absolutely needed (can't remember the type now) and as soon as I walked into the weapons dealer, money in hand, to buy it, I was told "no resources... Can't make those anymore." And of course, all the ones on the Bazaar were crap because all the bazaar gets is second, third, fourth hand crap that someone used Overcharge on way too much or ads for some dealer on Naboo or out in the middle of nowhere, where yet again, you would get gouged or told they couldn't make what you were looking for.

Don't get me wrong, get in with the right vendor and you can get pretty good service and deals... But on my server, there were some serious problems with inflated egos and bad customer service.

Maybe it was just a sucky server.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on how bad the resource system is... What fun is a game when you work your ass off to buy a house, find a beautiful secluded spot to put it on, are able to enjoy said spot for about 2 days before someone else puts 2 houses and a bajillion smoking, ugly resource collectors right next to you?

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Maybe it was just our server then because there were many times I was told "can't make it anymore" whenever I asked about something I needed.  I worked my tail off for some carbine I absolutely needed (can't remember the type now) and as soon as I walked into the weapons dealer, money in hand, to buy it, I was told "no resources...  Can't make those anymore."  And of course, all the ones on the Bazaar were crap because all the bazaar gets is second, third, fourth hand crap that someone used Overcharge on way too much or ads for some dealer on Naboo or out in the middle of nowhere, where yet again, you would get gouged or told they couldn't make what you were looking for.

Don't get me wrong, get in with the right vendor and you can get pretty good service and deals...  But on my server, there were some serious problems with inflated egos and bad customer service.

Maybe it was just a sucky server.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on how bad the resource system is...  What fun is a game when you work your ass off to buy a house, find a beautiful secluded spot to put it on, are able to enjoy said spot for about 2 days before someone else puts 2 houses and a bajillion smoking, ugly resource collectors right next to you?

Vostok 7

Looks like you ran into some vendors that didn't have much business sense or were prepared for the long haul. There are occasional periods of dryspells for certain items, but any crafter worth their business salt will simply tell you that you might need to wait a little for the next shift. Not "can't make any more" or try to gouge you with that item. The Elite carbine was problematic though. Rarely craftable, and crappy even when it was.

And of course the Bazaar is no place for finding anything that's worth more than 3K credits... that's the flea market of SWG, useful for picking up the occasional consumable or resource.

The resource system isn't all that bad, from my experience. Actually pretty fun if you get in on it. And of course, the exhaustable resources (not really exhaustable, but shifting, really) means that even if you *are* cursed with the unfortunate luck of having prime resources crop up right on your real estate-- those harvesters are gone in 5-8 days, leaving you alone again for a rather good while. Had this happen to a friend, with her nice beach house, but the harvester infestation cleared up with the next shift.

Those two other houses you can't do much about. And I don't see any way fair way around it, since those folks have as much freedom to put their house anywhere as you do. I'm not sure how other games or how FFXI gets around this problem.

-Al

Edited by Sundown

Makes me wish I was a thief and could afford a nice pair of strider boots instead of constantly paying my way just to get somewhere.

Makes me wish I had treasure finder and get a pair of jumping boots (or whatever they are called) and sell them for 250k. <_<

Yeah, you know those insanely expensive rare items. I don't understand them. It says you need to be level 20 to use them, but you have to be level 50 in order to kill the monster that drops them. Then by the time you're level 50, there's something else for you to wear, and you have to be level 60 to kill what drops those. /cry

The rabit charm sells for around 200k and the monster you need to kill if your average n00b hare. :)

Looks like you ran into some vendors that didn't have much business sense or were prepared for the long haul. There are occasional periods of dryspells for certain items, but any crafter worth their business salt will simply tell you that you might need to wait a little for the next shift. Not "can't make any more" or try to gouge you with that item. The Elite carbine was problematic though. Rarely craftable, and crappy even when it was.

And of course the Bazaar is no place for finding anything that's worth more than 3K credits... that's the flea market of SWG, useful for picking up the occasional consumable or resource.

The resource system isn't all that bad, from my experience. Actually pretty fun if you get in on it. And of course, the exhaustable resources (not really exhaustable, but shifting, really) means that even if you *are* cursed with the unfortunate luck of having prime resources crop up right on your real estate-- those harvesters are gone in 5-8 days, leaving you alone again for a rather good while. Had this happen to a friend, with her nice beach house, but the harvester infestation cleared up with the next shift.

Those two other houses you can't do much about. And I don't see any way fair way around it, since those folks have as much freedom to put their house anywhere as you do. I'm not sure how other games or how FFXI gets around this problem.

-Al

The vendors that treated me bad... were the most popular vendors of the server.

Like I said, maybe it's just the server we were on...

And those harvesters? They were there from 2 days after I built my house... Until I quit... 3 months later.

Vostok 7

Let's see all I have to say now is I hate goblins!!!! As for everyone one else, what rank are you guys? I would really like some help doing the emissary mission after I get my chocobo!

Hey Vos, used that emote on any girls lately? ;)

I'm Rank 2 myself but I'm low in level so I wouldn't be able to help. I do have a new dislike, almost hatred for the Wadi zone. That steam for lows down my computer and makes the graphics all choppy. Its not a weather effect so it can't e turned off. I also can't stand white mages that pull. Also most got us killed tonight thinking it was cute. I excused myself from the group and logged off before I said something I was going to regret because of that. I think I'll go back to my monk tomorrow. I really want to get a character up to 30 so I can try for the Paladin, Dark Knight, Samurai and Summoner jobs.

Anyway SWG's player-based economy was horrible in my opinion. For a while it was good when you first started out. Just went to a terminal and bought what you could afford. Then I learned that there was a limit to what you could set your price and then traveled to houses and saw some of the insane prices. In order to afford those weapons I would need to go to the more dangerous planets or areas. But in order to stay alive in those areas I need the weapon. But to get the weapon I need the money. Endless circle. The only way around it was to grind missions for cash was so boring that I actually fell asleep doing it a few times.

Anyone ever get warped in the game? I was taking a shuttle one time and when it was over I actually ended up in the middle of a PvP area instead of the shuttle port. Hmm like Sony fashion there was no help when I sent a petition so I just died after an hour in order to get back instead of the run. Yep a game I won't play again.

Anyway SWG's player-based economy was horrible in my opinion. For a while it was good when you first started out. Just went to a terminal and bought what you could afford. Then I learned that there was a limit to what you could set your price and then traveled to houses and saw some of the insane prices. In order to afford those weapons I would need to go to the more dangerous planets or areas. But in order to stay alive in those areas I need the weapon. But to get the weapon I need the money. Endless circle. The only way around it was to grind missions for cash was so boring that I actually fell asleep doing it a few times.

Welcome to why we basically quit.

(trying to) actually roleplaying in the game with a friend can be fun... to a point.

And Yoh, didn't get to play tonight... Though I kept trying to use the macro at the Pool, it didn't work quite right :blink:

Vostok 7

I'm Rank 2 myself but I'm low in level so I wouldn't be able to help. I do have a new dislike, almost hatred for the Wadi zone. That steam for lows down my computer and makes the graphics all choppy. Its not a weather effect so it can't e turned off. I also can't stand white mages that pull. Also most got us killed tonight thinking it was cute. I excused myself from the group and logged off before I said something I was going to regret because of that. I think I'll go back to my monk tomorrow. I really want to get a character up to 30 so I can try for the Paladin, Dark Knight, Samurai and Summoner jobs.

Blacklist the idiot! Seriously.... my new hatred is for low lv players who like to tell advanced players how to play their game. Damn tarutaru... didn't even have a sub job and was already telling me how to play the game. <_<

Worst yet.... WARs who won't tank. Give me a break! If I provoke something but no one else is getting enough hate to get the thing off my back.... provoke it! I got to a point where if tanks won't provoke, I end up telling the party that I will be the first one to zone in case they pull a target they can't deal with. And don't even get me started on whms that don't heal tanks. Seriously.... the games biggest problems, are the players. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

Blacklist the idiot! Seriously.... my new hatred is for low lv players who like to tell advanced players how to play their game. Damn tarutaru... didn't even have a sub job and was already telling me how to play the game. <_<

Worst yet.... WARs who won't tank. Give me a break! If I provoke something but no one else is getting enough hate to get the thing off my back.... provoke it! I got to a point where if tanks won't provoke, I end up telling the party that I will be the first one to zone in case they pull a target they can't deal with. And don't even get me started on whms that don't heal tanks. Seriously.... the games biggest problems, are the players. <_<

Totally Agree with you.

Some WARs out there are sissy... they're afraid to get hurt...

I don't know how many times I have to yell "For God sake, Provoke before WHM die"

and "Provoke so I can use sneak attack!" (I am a lvl 28 THF and lvl 15 WAR as sub job)

WHMs above lvl 20 are usually good and helpful (at least on my server, I am in Midgardsormr).

Totally Agree with you.

Some WARs out there are sissy... they're afraid to get hurt...

I don't know how many times I have to yell "For God sake, Provoke before WHM die"

and "Provoke so I can use sneak attack!" (I am a lvl 28 THF and lvl 15 WAR as sub job)

WHMs above lvl 20 are usually good and helpful (at least on my server, I am in Midgardsormr).

The only instances I don't provoke is when I happen to be fighting an IT monster and the other party members are of a higher lv then me. I suck at soaking up damage, but if the whm is in danger I usually provoke regardless of my hp.

WHMs are always helpful (with a few exceptions), but they are always the first ones to leave the party. <_<

Warriors that don't provoke or taunt are the worst in my opinion. That's what they are there for, to take the beating and keep the attention of the monster. They have the most HP, and usually the most powerul armor and weapons. White mages are there to heal but can't if they are getting hit. It really is a simple situation that from game to game some people can't seem to understand and then complain when the healer dies.

Oh the white mage that pulled has been blacklisted. I don't find things like that funny at all. Especially when I asked who was pulling and said there should be only one puller. I knew things were going to be bad when I join the group when I realized its leader and the one white mage were ones that were giving smartass comments when I was asking a question in town. Honestly I've never meet so many rude people in a game till FFXI. Have meet a few good people though in passing. I really hope its just the christmas rush and nothing more. It would suck if this was a normal thing.

Warriors that don't provoke or taunt are the worst in my opinion. That's what they are there for, to take the beating and keep the attention of the monster. They have the most HP, and usually the most powerul armor and weapons. White mages are there to heal but can't if they are getting hit. It really is a simple situation that from game to game some people can't seem to understand and then complain when the healer dies.

Oh the white mage that pulled has been blacklisted. I don't find things like that funny at all. Especially when I asked who was pulling and said there should be only one puller. I knew things were going to be bad when I join the group when I realized its leader and the one white mage were ones that were giving smartass comments when I was asking a question in town. Honestly I've never meet so many rude people in a game till FFXI. Have meet a few good people though in passing. I really hope its just the christmas rush and nothing more. It would suck if this was a normal thing.

Don't ever let a WHM pull! If he pulls a second time, get out of the party. When the WHM is playing target, let he or she die. <_<

As far rude ppl.... I don't understand how you manage to find so many rude ppl. Seriously, must be the wave of players around your lv. I have met 3 or 4 ppl who I really wish I could kill, but everyone else has been either nice or indifferent.

As far as WARs go.... that is true, but against a IT monster the extra hp and armor don't really count for much because the monsters still deal a butt load of damage on you. And strikers should always be prepared to take damage, as no matter how many times WARs provoke, they are always going to get hate faster then WARs do.

It very well could be my level or just that I don't care for the humor of some people. The rude people do leave a lasting impression which could be the problem while most people are indifferent for the most part. Things do get better the further the higher in level I get, especially when I leave people with the noob comments behind or out still looking for a group while I'm leveling. The more I'm out in the wild the better things actually are and the nicer people are which is good.

Anyway question. I was looking at Mission 6 for those in Bastok. The one where you have to travel the different kingdoms. At the Windhurst part it says(the guide I found) says you have to fight a dragon. Now is this a small dragon in that you can solo if at a certain level or would a party be needed? I've soloed the missions up to this one so I wondering if I could continue that. Granted I won't be attempting to finish the mission and get rank 3 for a while but it doesn't hurt to ask.

It very well could be my level or just that I don't care for the humor of some people. The rude people do leave a lasting impression which could be the problem while most people are indifferent for the most part. Things do get better the further the higher in level I get, especially when I leave people with the noob comments behind or out still looking for a group while I'm leveling. The more I'm out in the wild the better things actually are and the nicer people are which is good.

Anyway question. I was looking at Mission 6 for those in Bastok. The one where you have to travel the different kingdoms. At the Windhurst part it says(the guide I found) says you have to fight a dragon. Now is this a small dragon in that you can solo if at a certain level or would a party be needed? I've soloed the missions up to this one so I wondering if I could continue that. Granted I won't be attempting to finish the mission and get rank 3 for a while but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Honestly... if party members do their job, I usually care less about their comments.

As for that mission.... I'm inclined to think thats a boss battle, so I wouldn't do it on my own. :)

Grr I've ran into this... I was lvl 15 and partied with a group, one guy was like a lvl 11 or 12 WAR... The party leader died (she was WHM IIRC, and I tried to tank but my provoke ran out and the other WAR didn't provoke... party leader dies and ends up in like Jeuno) and was trying to get back, but then left the party when she warped... I kept saying "lets wait for her to come back" but this low lvl WAR is like "no, let's kill things." Then, he decides we should camp right next to another party so that we can get all their spam. Then, he's telling me to pull high level gobs. This stupid n00b is basically trying to run the whole show, when he didn't even get party leader status after our party leader left!

One pull and the whole party gets slaughtered because yet again, this kid is a total n00b and doesn't know how to play, but is still trying to call all the shots. I die and am so torked off I leave the party.

I hate parties that go bad.

Vostok 7

Grr I've ran into this... I was lvl 15 and partied with a group, one guy was like a lvl 11 or 12 WAR... The party leader died (she was WHM IIRC, and I tried to tank but my provoke ran out and the other WAR didn't provoke... party leader dies and ends up in like Jeuno) and was trying to get back, but then left the party when she warped... I kept saying "lets wait for her to come back" but this low lvl WAR is like "no, let's kill things." Then, he decides we should camp right next to another party so that we can get all their spam. Then, he's telling me to pull high level gobs. This stupid n00b is basically trying to run the whole show, when he didn't even get party leader status after our party leader left!

One pull and the whole party gets slaughtered because yet again, this kid is a total n00b and doesn't know how to play, but is still trying to call all the shots. I die and am so torked off I leave the party.

Vostok 7

Honestly... thats what tells are for. If someone was to do that in a party I'm in... I would immediatly tell the rest of the party to let the idiot die from his own mistakes. If he comes back and complains.... tell him to leave the party if he doesn't like it. <_<

Vostok 7

Honestly... thats what tells are for. If someone was to do that in a party I'm in... I would immediatly tell the rest of the party to let the idiot die from his own mistakes. If he comes back and complains.... tell him to leave the party if he doesn't like it. <_<

Yeh, the majority of the problems in this game center around leveling in the teens. This is when you first have to start partying with other people and based on whether or not they know what they're doing, this can really make or break the experience. My monk is level 48 now, but my subjob thief is level 17. While I know that I need to keep my thief up to date it pains me everytime I have to go down to Valkurm and have to start creating parties with the newer players. Half the time is either spent dying or teaching them how to play correctly, and a lot of the time they don't even want the advice. They'd always end up bitching something like, "why is a level 17 thief telling me how to play my level 16 warrior?" Then it spirals out of control. Warrior won't provoke so whm starts taking damage. Whm doesn't want hate, so whm doesn't heal. Without concentrated hate on any one character the target keeps spinning around and my sneak attacks are continuously wasted. No one is able to deal damage and we all die. Then everyone gets mad at me for trying to tell them how to play. Whee~

Yeh, the majority of the problems in this game center around leveling in the teens. This is when you first have to start partying with other people and based on whether or not they know what they're doing, this can really make or break the experience. My monk is level 48 now, but my subjob thief is level 17. While I know that I need to keep my thief up to date it pains me everytime I have to go down to Valkurm and have to start creating parties with the newer players. Half the time is either spent dying or teaching them how to play correctly, and a lot of the time they don't even want the advice. They'd always end up bitching something like, "why is a level 17 thief telling me how to play my level 16 warrior?" Then it spirals out of control. Warrior won't provoke so whm starts taking damage. Whm doesn't want hate, so whm doesn't heal. Without concentrated hate on any one character the target keeps spinning around and my sneak attacks are continuously wasted. No one is able to deal damage and we all die. Then everyone gets mad at me for trying to tell them how to play. Whee~

Yeah... That's why I'm always careful challenging peoples decisions because I've run into alot of people who have other characters that are high and the like... If someone's being just downright stupid, then I question. But if someone seems to know what they are doing, then I listen, no matter the level. I've learned lots of good things that way.

Vostok 7

Yeah. But I have managed to find many new players that are down to earth or not teen like. And sometimes, its pretty easy to find double job characters looking to lv up one of their jobs. Its alot of trial and error, I guess.

I guess I've gotten lucky when it comes to parties. I've gotten some really good ones. Where everyone has done their job, the only problem I've had was where I've been the major healer and the party was more aggresive than I preferred.

Back when I was a n00b all the male PC's kept examining me and trying to get me to party, which bugged me. Like they've never seen a elvaan female in Bastok before.

I guess I've gotten lucky when it comes to parties.  I've gotten some really good ones.  Where everyone has done their job, the only problem I've had was where I've been the major healer and the party was more aggresive than I preferred.

Back when I was a n00b all the male PC's kept examining me and trying to get me to party, which bugged me.  Like they've never seen a elvaan female in Bastok before.

That really has nothing to do with your character being a female. If you were a male red mage, ppl would still check you and try to get you into a party, simply for the fact that, eventhough you are only a second hand healer, you are still a healer never the less. And if theres a shortage of white mages, red mages are the most appropriate healers to get.

Just to prove the point.... my warrior didn't get checked untill I was around lv10. My white mage gets checked by every single low level player in Sandoria.

Edited by Abombz!!

We NEED to find abombz in the game and scare her with what we've come up with. Say are you still missing alot with your BIG sword?

I never miss with my BIG sword... ;)

j/k

Yes, but I'm only at like lvl 20. I'm at like 48 with my regular sword, but Abombz wanted it back right after I put my regular Spatha on the AH. Oh well.

Vostok 7

I got checked alot, mostly when I spent time near the Dangruf Wadi and the likes.

Now I get checked by almost everyone that walks by, if I hang out in the Dunes.

So it's not just you Yoh :p

Vostok 7

I rarely go back to my home city anymore but when I do everyone and their dog checks me. It kind of feels like an invasion of privacy. I read somewhere the Japanese feel the same way. Especially with the influx of new players, they'd rather you do /sea if you want to check the level/class and if you want to see what they're wearing then ask first.

I got checked alot, mostly when I spent time near the Dangruf Wadi and the likes.

Now I get checked by almost everyone that walks by, if I hang out in the Dunes.

So it's not just you Yoh :p

Vostok 7

I rarely go back to my home city anymore but when I do everyone and their dog checks me. It kind of feels like an invasion of privacy. I read somewhere the Japanese feel the same way. Especially with the influx of new players, they'd rather you do /sea <name> if you want to check the level/class and if you want to see what they're wearing then ask first.

Its annoying. I remember reading some of the first faqs to come out right after the game was released in Japan.... and almost everyone resented ppl who checked too much. I only check a person if one of their armor pieces catches my eye. If I want to know the lv.... I usually do a search for their name, its that simple.

Checking only doesn't bother me when I have the seek party thing on.