Picked up a couple of neat items at the local comic book shop today. They're actually things that have been sitting there for almost 4 years now, but until last year I wasn't familiar with what they even were and until today I never bought them because they seemed too expensive for what they were. Well, today the store had a 75% off table with a bunch of stuff heaped on it, and what should I find but the Fyana Kubrick set and the strange, funky Chirico 1/12 Super Real Full Action figure by Yutaka.

Pics and comments to follow...

Edited by eriku

The Kubrick set is cool, and there isn't much to say about it since it's a fairly standard Kubrick set. It comes with the Brutishdog and Fyana in her pilot gear. The Brutishdog comes with a seperate set of legs for it's down mode, which I thought was a nice touch. Also, the hatch comes off and there is a little picture of Fyana's torso in there. Presumably you plug the Fyana head onto the Dog to complete the look.

Fyana looks as much like the character as the Kubrick style will allow. I was expecting an extra pilot head or helmet for her since the box shows an illustration of her wearing one, but no dice. I may track down the Scopedog/Chirico set someday if I can find it for a reasonable price. This one I got for 3 bucks, so that's pretty impossible to beat.

post-430-1175723317_thumb.jpg

Yutaka's "Super Real & Full Action Doll" Chirico is a strange bird. I paid 4 bucks for him, and I'm not sure he's worth much more than that. The head sculpt is nice and has a sort of 'vintage' look to it. The body, presumably (according to the illustration on the box) is heavily articulated with some clever joints. Naturally almost all of these joints are completely rendered useless by the peculiar rubber body glove that he's wearing. There is no way to take the suit off (without cutting it of course) so we are left with a minimally articulated figure.

What you see in the window of the box is all I thought the figure came with. I thought he looked rather plain without his gear, but still worthy of a few bucks. Upon opening the package I discovered that this guy is half figure, half model kit. His straps and belts are separate rubber pieces that have no way of attaching to the body without glue. I used a big strip of tape to secure everything on his backside. His shoulder pads are just sort of there, and would also require glue, although there's nothing to glue them to aside from the bare rubber suit, which seems like a bad idea. His helmet, gun and other pieces are included on sprues and need to be assembled and painted. There is also a length of thin rubber hose that the ambitious modeler can cut into pieces to be glued to Chirico's arms.

It's an interesting piece and the instructions are probably helpful in getting Chirico finished, but they're in Japanese (naturally) so I can't be sure. Overall I'm glad to have it for the novelty and just how weird it really is. It doesn't look completely horrible by any means, but it isn't that fun to play with since it doesn't move much and the rubber suit just feels sticky and unpleasant.

Oh, and I was going to put him inside the Yamato Scopedog since they are both 1/12 scale, but as you can see in the pic this Chirico is MUCH larger than Yamato's, so the only way he's getting in that dog is if I cut him out of his suit. And since Chirico likes to fight 'naked', that just may happen...

post-430-1175724058_thumb.jpg

post-430-1175724066_thumb.jpg

post-430-1175724074_thumb.jpg

post-430-1175724081_thumb.jpg

What ever happened to the 1:1 scale scopedog project? It seems that it was completed sometime last year, or earlier, but then no more news about it..

Was it bought from the artist and put in a Votoms display somewhere?

Was it painted realistically?

What ever happened to the 1:1 scale scopedog project? It seems that it was completed sometime last year, or earlier, but then no more news about it..

Was it bought from the artist and put in a Votoms display somewhere?

Was it painted realistically?

I had a picture of the completed version (it seems to have vanished from my drive). It was nice and weathered. I believe there was a little ceremony or something with Kunio Okawara and Ryosuke Takahashi posing for pictures with the guy who made it.

The Kubrick set is cool, and there isn't much to say about it since it's a fairly standard Kubrick set. It comes with the Brutishdog and Fyana in her pilot gear. The Brutishdog comes with a seperate set of legs for it's down mode, which I thought was a nice touch. Also, the hatch comes off and there is a little picture of Fyana's torso in there. Presumably you plug the Fyana head onto the Dog to complete the look.

Fyana looks as much like the character as the Kubrick style will allow. I was expecting an extra pilot head or helmet for her since the box shows an illustration of her wearing one, but no dice. I may track down the Scopedog/Chirico set someday if I can find it for a reasonable price. This one I got for 3 bucks, so that's pretty impossible to beat.

If your Kubrick Fyana doesn't have a helmet, you might got gipped. I believe mine does(even though haven't took it out a few years), and its a pain to take it off once its on the head, or the whole head comes off when you pull.

If your Kubrick Fyana doesn't have a helmet, you might got gipped. I believe mine does(even though haven't took it out a few years), and its a pain to take it off once its on the head, or the whole head comes off when you pull.

Found this image on the infraweb, looks like I did get gipped. I'm not surprised, the box was very obviously re-taped. Oh well, it was only $3.

[attachmentid=41770]

post-430-1175731847_thumb.jpg

Edited by eriku

Found this image on the infraweb, looks like I did get gipped. I'm not surprised, the box was very obviously re-taped. Oh well, it was only $3.

[attachmentid=41770]

Haha. Then sounds more like I got gipped, as I paid like $15-20 for it back then. :p LOL

It's only been announced as an accessory set so far, complete with a Vanilla Microman figure.

Of course, that's not to say that Takara might not later release it together with a Scopedog, but there has been no official announcement either way yet.

Graham

I'm getting toward the end of VOTOMs and I gotta say, it's finally starting to lose some appeal with me. I thought it was pure awesomeness up until it started getting wrapped up in Wiseman. It's not that it's getting too spiritual for me either, I don't see it that way, I think I just liked the political answer where the whole story was the meddling of men. I'm not through it yet though, maybe it redeems itself in the last several episodes.

Also, someone said once in some thread that Chirico was a more empathetic character than Stig in Mospeada. I haven't seen that yet at all. He's more enigmatic but he's just as big a prick. I guess the difference is you really keep hoping Chirico will snap out of it with Fyana's help whereas Stig clearly needs something beyond love... like a good healthy dose of wrath.

I'm getting toward the end of VOTOMs and I gotta say, it's finally starting to lose some appeal with me. I thought it was pure awesomeness up until it started getting wrapped up in Wiseman. It's not that it's getting too spiritual for me either, I don't see it that way, I think I just liked the political answer where the whole story was the meddling of men. I'm not through it yet though, maybe it redeems itself in the last several episodes.

Also, someone said once in some thread that Chirico was a more empathetic character than Stig in Mospeada. I haven't seen that yet at all. He's more enigmatic but he's just as big a prick. I guess the difference is you really keep hoping Chirico will snap out of it with Fyana's help whereas Stig clearly needs something beyond love... like a good healthy dose of wrath.

I just finished the series an hour ago and my only word of advice to you is to stick with it through the end. ;)

LOVED the series. I think I may even like it more than Macross.

***SPOILER***

The end part where Chirico is shutting down Wiseman is SO 2001 Space Odyssey. I was ready for Wiseman to start singing "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do" I didn't mind the similarity though as I enjoyed Votoms far more than 2001.

***END SPOILER***

The ending is good. The thing about Wiseman is that they don't seem to path it enough almost until late Part 3, which seem a bit sudden. Also, the art don't seem to match up with the concept exceptionally well. The simple designs look find with a realistic, griddy military backdrop. But when it gets to Wiseman's stuff, its almost like the art is not detailed enough to make that concept and environment believable. But regardless, the series ended good. :D Now, I am just waiting for my R2 OVA DVDs to arrive, :D after hearing from you guys how awesome the OVAs are.

And just got the Takara 1/18 DMZ-01 from HLJ. Finally get to see what this hype is all about, and to keep it short, I am very impressed! Similar to everybody's feedback, this is pretty big (as tall as a 1/55 Chunky Monkey VF-1, but even chunkier), well built figure that is very playable & light, while has a bit of painted model-kit feel. Very good finish on the scope lens, overall paint, and details. The weathering a bit rough, but still look good as long as you are not too anal. It can be easily touched up to make it even better. Love the poseability to boot, with the yawing leaning action going on, while still able to balance. And that is the best arm punch gimmick I've ever seen. Very strong spring action there and so fun to play. Now thats a real Scopedog!

Maybe mine is a re-issue, as the loose visor and head dome seem fine on mine. Visor not tight by any means, but will stay up and open, while the head doesn't come off at all. The fingers are not ideal, but seems to hold up ok. Would be great if they added grooves on the peg on the fingers, rather than just a straight peg. Lazy design. Contrary to that, the shoulder joints are very well designed. Since I got a slightly looser right shoulder ball joint, I opened it up and realized it has a double diecast discs clamping on a ball & socket joint (socket made by some harder polycap material) and held by 2 screws. Very secure and not prone to wear. Impressive. With the super glue trick, now my gun arm shoulder is very secure. The only thing left is to open up the feet and find some good weights to fit in, so that it can balance even better when doing more extreme sliding action. Getting Chirico sit in there nicely while allowing the hatch to shut flush does take some effort.

Takara definitely has a winner toyline here, and pays a lot of homage to the classic Duel Model series, while making it so much better. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be super popular among casual or non-Votoms fans. With little diecast and being very light, its still worth every penny I paid for. Didn't expect this to be this good.

Edited by mpchi

I wish VOTOMS would get a bigger following as well... Hobby Japan magazine always has a large dedicated VOTOMS section, always with some fantatic models, but I wish there were more grouped fans... I would love to find a VOTOMSWorld...

Yeah. Unfortunately the following is pretty small outside Japan. I remember quite a few years ago, right at the beginning of the modern toy boom, I was so stoke after watching the Votoms DVDs that I was looking everywhere for cool toys and discussions online. Didn't really find any, and end up settling with the Duel Model figures to quench my thirst. They weren't reissues nor cheap either... :p

Votoms fans sure has a lot more choices nowadays, with all the new toylines and OVA DVDs released, even an upcoming new show to boot!

Edited by mpchi

I wish VOTOMS would get a bigger following as well... Hobby Japan magazine always has a large dedicated VOTOMS section, always with some fantatic models, but I wish there were more grouped fans... I would love to find a VOTOMSWorld...

Just last night I was looking for some sort of "Votoms World" site or forum. I can't believe that there really aren't any. If I had the time & the resources I would start on right now.

http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hobbyjapan/votoms/index.html

Any of you guys know what the recent novel Commando Vorct series is all about? Only very brief info is on the official site. Is it a HobbyJapan article of some sort? Like the SIC? The Vorct team mechs are very cool, with each mech of the team have a specific emphasis and specialized parts. Think Max might be doing action figures for them in their 1/35 line. Unfortunately, its not a line I dare to dive in.

Edited by mpchi

I'm loving the TV series so far. I'm about half way through the Kummen Jungle Wars arc.

I recently ordered and recieved the first three R2 OVAs "The Unknown Red Shoulder" 1985, "Battle Of The Heterogeneous Species" 1986, & "Red Shoulder Document, The Root Of Ambition" 1988. I've watched the first two and they are great. I've also just placed an order with CD Japan for the 5-part OVA "The Defrost".

Can't wait for the new TV series to start later this year.

Chirico is such a great character. It's nice to see a professional soldier as the lead, instead of a whiney, angsty teenage brat, as is common in many mecha shows.

After a few days with my DMZ #02 Strikedog, I've found that the shoulder and hip joints, especially the hips are much looser than my DMZ #01 Scopedog, meaning it tends to overbalance fairly easily. I think I'm going to have to take it apart and see if I can tighten up some of the joints. Poseability is also a bit less less on the Strikedog, as the ankles don't have as wide a range of movement as the Scopedog's and you can't really get the feet flat on the floor with the legs spread wide. Still a great looking toy though.

Graham

http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hobbyjapan/votoms/index.html

Any of you guys know what the recent novel Commando Vorct series is all about? Only very brief info is on the official site. Is it a HobbyJapan article of some sort? Like the SIC? The Vorct team mechs are very cool, with each mech of the team have a specific emphasis and specialized parts. Think Max might be doing action figures for them in their 1/35 line. Unfortunately, its not a line I dare to dive in.

It seems to be a serialization that's been running in Hobby Japan the last few months. Text with some photos and drawings. Yes, Max factory will be releasing their 'big head' 1/35 PVC Scopedog toys in Commando Vorct colors in May or June this year IIRC. I think there is also a garage kit manufacturer releasing some resin conversion parts, possibly for the Takara plamodels?

Graham

http://www.hobbyjapan.co.jp/hobbyjapan/votoms/news.html

Just saw these in the news page. At first I thought its Takara's 1/48 line on the Vorct Team, but turn out its a resin kit. Too bad modeling is not really my forte. Funny, the group pics of the Chirico figures gave me a JinRoh vibe. :D

Graham,

Out of the 5 OVAs, I skipped No.2 The Big Battle. Since that one seem to be just a battle area type side story without a big significant role on the main story line. Try to save a bit. Was that a wrong decision? Was it super good? I still haven't got my DVDs yet, but should be here in a few days.

Edited by mpchi

Just finished modding the feet to put more weights in it to strengthen the balancing while doing leaning sliding poses, and stiffened the ankle swivel a bit while at it. Its a sucess! :D And its pretty straight forward and easy to do. I just use various coins I could get to fit inside the feet, together with some kneaded eraser to hold them in place. Just make sure you use the same coins on both feet to prevent one feet heavier than the other. There are plenty of room in both the feet and toe area to fill stuff. When you disassembling it, be aware that 2 screws were hiding behind the Turn Pick on each feet, which is held onto the feet by 2 thick peg. Just pull them out with caution. The pegs are thick, but its so tight that I still snapped one of them when pulling the Turn Pick piece out. Good that I can super glue the thing back when I am done putting everything back together. As you can see, the result is pretty cool. :D Don't think even the Official Takara pics had this guy lean back this far. ^_^

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

With the added weight and sturdier joints, now the thing feels more like a gokin when lifted, without the light model-kit feel anymore. This Scopedog is turning into one darn fine toy, with just a bit of help on the shoulders and feet. Very cool indeed.

Very cool mpchi! Looks like you've now got an excelently balancing toy there... Is that only the stock weathering on the toy tho? It looks much nicer in your pictures than in other shots I'ev seen....

And for people interested in the Commando Vorct stuff, the February issue of Hobby Japan had some amazing 1/24 sclae plastic model conversions of the team Scopeys... very nice work there. The MF Vorct figures look arlgiht, but again, still have ginormous heads... stinks about the 1/48 ones being resin kits... I figured they were retooled Actic Gear figures being released by a subsidary if Takara...

The paint job on mine is all stock in those pics. Haven't got time to get to that yet, but I am not too picky about the weathering and thought it already looks very good.

And yeah, sucks those 1/48 Vorct guys are resin kits.

I love the variety on the 1/48 line, but seems a bit too small and fiddly for me to play around, as I do like my toys to feel more solid if possible. Though the Burglary Dog and some of the Turbo Custom diorama sets are very tempting.

Picked up a Yamato 1/12 Red Shoulder ver.2 Scopedog a few days ago as well as some of the accessory sets and Chirico Cuvie pilot figure.

I have to say although I’m normally a big Yamato fan, I’m not terribly impressed with their Scopedog, especially when compared to the sublime Takara 1/18 scale rendition. The problem is the Yamato is just too big and heavy for its own good and even the improved ver.2 joints are not strong enough to allow you to pose the toy in any but the most neutral static poses keeping within the toy’s extremely limited center of gravity. Attempt any sort of dynamic action pose and the toy more often than not wants to topple over, resulting in limbs and other assorted small parts flying off! The balance problem is made even worse if you fit the Parachute sack.

Right out of the box I encountered a problem with the right elbow being so loose, it would not support the full-sized GAT-22 rifle at all. On removing the outer armor, I found that one screw was missing from the elbow! After finding a suitable replacement screw, the elbow joint was better, but the elbow ratchet will still not hold a 90 degree pose with the weight of the rifle and will sag one click even when holding the short barrel GAT-22C carbine. Forget even trying the heavy SMAT-38 9 shot box missile launcher, it is just too heavy.

I’ve had problems with the arms and legs falling off the toy, especially the arms. As mentioned above they are just too heavy and the joints insufficiently strong. Also, the bicep armor on both the left and right arms and the antenna all constantly fell off. This got so annoying that I have crazy-glued the arms and legs onto their respective shoulder and hip sockets so they are no longer removable and also glued on the bicep armor and antenna in an attempt to make the toy more playable. This means I can no longer completely strip the toy down, but that doesn’t bother me too much.

Another minor problem is that the cockpit hatch will not stay open to full extension and will only stay about 60% open. The cockpit hatch is also the least smoothly opening of any Votoms toy I’ve handled. The crappy thumb also kept constantly falling off the gun hand, so this has also been crazy glued on. Means I can’t change weapons, but at least it is not so bloody annoying.

In terms of paint job, markings, articulation, tightness of joints, ability to hold dynamic action poses, the Takara 1/18 beats the Yamato 1/12 hands down. The only areas where the Yamato shines are in the Chirico Cuvie pilot figure which is head and shoulders above the crappy Takara Microman version. In a perfect world, Yamato would make a 1/18 scale Chirico to fit in the Takara DMZ.

I’m sorry, but the Yamato is just not an enjoyable toy IMO. You are constantly struggling against it to get it to balance and hold a pose and this just takes away the fun factor.

I’m probably going to sell off my Yamato Scopedog and accessories and stick with the DMZ line.

Graham

That's my opinion also, Graham. The DMZ is the superior toy. The thing the Yamato has going for it is sheer size, but I have had a lot of balance problems as well, even with ver 2 (try to pose him holding the rocket launcher.. oy). It's pretty inexcusable that Yamato sells expensive accessory packs that the toy can't even hold onto without falling over. And the tumbles are stressful, because (as you say) parts fly everywhere. Although, I must admit that I have not had any permanent breakage yet.

DMZ just proves that TakaraTomy is more serious about quality than Yamato.