Just finished doing some simple weathering on a 1/48 Red Shoulder (Reeman Set), using enamel paint wash and a silver marker for the metal wear. Not a fantastic paint job by any means, but looks pretty good for a couple hours of work and the skill of a beginner. The enamel paint wash is very forgiving and easy to apply, and the weathering does make a big difference on these otherwise very plasticy-looking little guys. Fun stuff.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Skill of a beginner, :o looks great, I've been painting models for a long time and I still suck at it. Enamel is the worst paint to work with in my opinion, I like using acrylic, though I have to settle with enamel since my local model shop only stocks that kind of paint.

Looks pretty good, and helps alot. One or two things I can suggest... before painting, I would have kissed off the larger mold lines (like on the forearms especially) with a file first to remove them without making a big mess... you probably could have used a nail file emery board for that. The other thing that can greatly increase the look of the 1/48 is the gun barrels. I don't know what tools you have lying around if you're just a beginner, but if you have either some small drill bits and/or an X-acto knife with a good tip, hollowing out the gun barrels (and the shoulder smoke launcher if you're feeling adventurous) is a must. One last thing that will help you greatly early on is to avoid using silver for metal chips except on very large fresh scuffs. Dark greys and dark rust-looking browns are much more appropriate, especially in such small scale. Think about it a little bit... not every ding and nick the AT receives is going to go all the way thru to bare metal... some will nearly scuff the paint or expose the primer. That and, if the machine has been used for more than a few hours, those exposed metal chips will begin to rust, unless of course you're doing a space-only mech. Silver paint is much too bright either way, but it looks like you didn't go overboard on this little guy so it's not a big deal here, but, especially if you move on to larger stuff, a normal graphite pencil provides much darker and more realistic metallic scuffs... I realize the DMZ Scopey has bright silver chips, and that is my biggest beef with it aside from the very large forearms.

Either way, a great quick way to improve the look, and I think you've succeeded here. :D

Yeah, one of my biggest beefs with the 1/48 Actic gear Votoms toys is also the solid muzzels on the GAT-22 rifle and also the shoulder smoke dischargers. I'm not brave enough or skilled enough to attempt to drill them out.

Thankfully, Takara-Tomy has improved the design with the upcoming 1/48 ATM-09-DD Buglary Dog toy, which looks like it has a slightly recessed muzzle painted black.

Graham

Looks pretty good, and helps alot. One or two things I can suggest... before painting, I would have kissed off the larger mold lines (like on the forearms especially) with a file first to remove them without making a big mess... you probably could have used a nail file emery board for that. The other thing that can greatly increase the look of the 1/48 is the gun barrels. I don't know what tools you have lying around if you're just a beginner, but if you have either some small drill bits and/or an X-acto knife with a good tip, hollowing out the gun barrels (and the shoulder smoke launcher if you're feeling adventurous) is a must. One last thing that will help you greatly early on is to avoid using silver for metal chips except on very large fresh scuffs. Dark greys and dark rust-looking browns are much more appropriate, especially in such small scale. Think about it a little bit... not every ding and nick the AT receives is going to go all the way thru to bare metal... some will nearly scuff the paint or expose the primer. That and, if the machine has been used for more than a few hours, those exposed metal chips will begin to rust, unless of course you're doing a space-only mech. Silver paint is much too bright either way, but it looks like you didn't go overboard on this little guy so it's not a big deal here, but, especially if you move on to larger stuff, a normal graphite pencil provides much darker and more realistic metallic scuffs... I realize the DMZ Scopey has bright silver chips, and that is my biggest beef with it aside from the very large forearms.

Either way, a great quick way to improve the look, and I think you've succeeded here. :D

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, just try to do something quick to improve the look. Still enjoy the playing part more than the painting part. But its a worthy effort. :D Guess Mr. Reeman is next, as well as Fatty Ground and a couple others.

I love the Fatty Ground type. I've got the one with the shoulder spike.

The Fatty pilot is much bigger than the Scopedog pilot, definitely not in scale. Or maybe Balarant just gives better and more rations to their troops than Gilgamesh does. :D

Noda Ya, lists the 1/48 Buglary dog as released now, so I'll start checking the hobby shops from tomorrow, to see if it's made it's way to HK yet.

Graham

I love the Fatty Ground type. I've got the one with the shoulder spike.

The Fatty pilot is much bigger than the Scopedog pilot, definitely not in scale. Or maybe Balarant just gives better and more rations to their troops than Gilgamesh does. :D

Noda Ya, lists the 1/48 Buglary dog as released now, so I'll start checking the hobby shops from tomorrow, to see if it's made it's way to HK yet.

Graham

The Fatty Ground type is awesome. Joints more sturdy too. I have the Type B(no spike) right now, and the Type A coming in from the mail soon. Try to get someone to fight my Red Shoulders. :p These blends in so much better with others than the awkward turqoise green space version. The pilot scale doesn't look too off when compared side by side, but the huge Balarant helmet and the sitting pose sure make it look bigger.

Cool. From pics I've seen, looke like the interior of the Burglary Dog is painted as well. While it might look quite a mismatch with the other AG, its another nice thing that justify the high price.

Edited by mpchi

I am so very excited for the PlaMo Scopedogs... hopefully the line does really well and we start getting new kits of the non-dog ATs like the Turtle variants! Interesting to see that the kit has PE in it... and I wonder how gimmicky the little bolt things will end up being... and holy crap, a turned Aluminum gun barrel!!!

Edited by promethuem5

I highly recommend the 1/48 ATM-09-DD Buglarydog, it's a huge improvement over the original 1/48 Actic gear Scopedog. Basically Takara went through the original AG Scopedog with a fine toothcomb and improved everything that could be improved.

The pilot, pilot seat and control stick are all painted. The muzzles of all the guns are all recessed and painted, even the shoulder-mounted smoke launchers. A lot of the small vents are now also painted, like those on the sides of the lower leg and the turn-picks. Even the cartridge ejection ports on the forearms for the arm punch mechanisms are now painted.

Articulation has also been improved some, especially the elbows and shoulders.

Thankfully all those ugly visible hollows like on the biceps are no more.

The level of detail has also been improved, with more and better molded on detail on many parts. moving wheels! I love that you can remove the front chest armor and the front chest hatch now opens. Actually, you can pretty much completely disassemble the toy, so if you were so inclined, you could make a great hanger or workshop diorama.

The way many of the small parts attach has also been improved, so you don't get so many small fiddly bits falling off. Takara really came up with a clever, but simple way of attaching the elbow armor

Takara have deepened the slots for the waist weapons attachment, so that both the waist Gattling gun and waist missile pod now attach firmly without need of any glue.

If you are a Votoms fan, this is a must-have toy. Buy it, you won't regret it. Besides being the only Buglarydog toy ever made, it's a fantastic toy in it's own right. It's also great that it comes with parts to convert it to a plain-jane Scopedog.

A few pages back in this thread, someone compared the AG line to Bandai's HCM-pro. Well, IMO, the original AG toys are not quite on par with the HCM-pro both design-wise and quality-wise. However, the Buglarydog, is a huge improvement and IMO equals or even surpasses the best HCM-pro.

Graham

Wow, thanks for the review Graham, I've been very curious about this figure. Now it just went from a 'want' to a 'must have'! I can't believe they added that many improvements and paint applications to such a tiny beast, that is incredibly cool.

Hmmm... they're so tiny, but the fact that it is a well done Burglarydog is mighty tempting.

I'm still seriously considering getting a DMZ 'dog or two... especially with the painted RSC Weapons set pics and such... I've been looking at the Strikedog with Ypsilon figure alot because it is at least somewhat different from all my other Scopedogs even if it isn't my favorite design... I'd really like to hear from anyone who has the Strikedog figure and can tell me just what makes it worth almost as much as a Yamato Scopedog that comes with a Microman figure (yuck.) One of the things that bugs me tho about the Strikedog is that it only comes with the bazooka, and no smaller weapon for better posing...

Oh wow, Bandai's plamo 1/20 Scopedog looks excellent, check out RunChickenS's coverage:

http://happy.ap.teacup.com/runchickens/498.html

Looks like it'll come with photo-etched parts too! And... are those round cylinders shell casings?

Looks excellent. If I had known about this I might not have shelled out for the 1/18 DMZ (Great as they are, its expensive)

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has the Strikedog figure and can tell me just what makes it worth almost as much as a Yamato Scopedog that comes with a Microman figure (yuck.) One of the things that bugs me tho about the Strikedog is that it only comes with the bazooka, and no smaller weapon for better posing...

If you've gone over preceding discussions about the 1/12 vs 1/18, you'd see it all boils down to playability versus detailing. I seriously doubt the 1/12s can ever be really playable even with the improved joints and 'door wedges' to keep the arms/knees locked in-position. Besides, all 1/12 'dogs are still just variants of the Scopedog while the DMZs at least have the Strikedog (and Rabidlydog coming up). The Strikedog IS expensive compared to the first DMZ Scopedog, but it is also taller and more massive. I just like the way it all works... the articulated claw that extends a cannon barrel... the more secure rotating head, the tampo markings and the lenses/lights... the cockpit looks great and even Ypsilon has a neat headsculpt. If only they were less expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the DMZ-02 with improved articulated hands as well.

Edited by drifand

I've got DMZ # 1, 2 & 3. They are all great toys.

My DMZ Strikedog's hip and knee joints don't seem as tight as those on the two DMZ Scopedogs, but the toy is still more stable than the Yamato 1/12.

No major complaints really.

The Microman Ypsilon is a pain. His hands kept falling off in the cockpit when I tried to pose him holding the twin control sticks, so I finally super-glued the hand into the wrists.

Yeah, the claw with retracting cannon is a cool feature.

I found that the fingers on the gun hand have to be glued in due to the weight of the big bazooka.

If you just static pose the toy, the bazooka is fine, but if you actually play with the toy, the bazoka will quite frequently fall of the shoulder when you are moving the toy around due to the weapon's center of gravity. The heavest part of the weapon (the twin mags) being furthest away from the wrist joint.

Graham

Wow, thanks for the review Graham, I've been very curious about this figure. Now it just went from a 'want' to a 'must have'! I can't believe they added that many improvements and paint applications to such a tiny beast, that is incredibly cool.

Basically, it's a complete redesign from the ground up.

It's a very, very cool toy.

Graham

The Microman Ypsilon is a pain. His hands kept falling off in the cockpit when I tried to pose him holding the twin control sticks, so I finally super-glued the hand into the wrists.

I sense a theme with your toys... :p That's kinda what I expected tho... that the Strike is a nice toy, but the Microman figure is crappy and the bazooka is heavy. I wish the DMZ line would hurry up and release a Brutish Dog or something or I'll end up getting the 1/12 BD as well. Maybe one of the two lines should finally release some Turtle variants instead! <_<

Microman figures are so weird. My Chirico is absolutely perfect, every joint is tight and nothing falls off or comes apart (unless you want it to).

On the other hand I bought a Casshern figure and it pretty much completely disassembles itself if you walk by. Similar to that is the figure that came with the rubber Gojira suit. I can't even put it into or take it out of the suit because it turns into a pile of body parts.

Right in the middle is Sakura from Street Fighter. She's tight all around except for one floppy arm and loose wrists.

I'm excited for the Vanilla figure (as well as the add-ons of course) but I know full well it's a gamble. As long as he can hold the "spraying the wrong shoulder red with the paint gun" pose, it'll be fine.

Yeah, the Microman figures varies a lot in terms of joints tightness. I bought the old Chirico a couple years back, and overall very solid. While its the exact same release as the one that came with my DMZ-01 other than the slightly weathered paint, the newer one turn out looser in a number of joints. The face wasn't painted as nice either. Still not too bad, but not as good nonetheless. A couple other micromans in my collection varies as well. So kind of kept me staying away from collecting them seriously. However, now they are more like an add-on accessory for the DMZ, I am pleased having them. Would love to get a Fyana to keep Chirico company, while all the spare Chiricos from different DMZ can now be generic soldier dudes. :D

Yeah, as accessories to the DMZ 'dogs the Microman figures are probably OK, but I really, really hate Microman figures with a passion... so much potential and so much articulation marred by crappy materials and completely inconsistent finishing.

I got the DMZ with the round mover. It IS a fantastic toy, but I missed some decals and tampoo prints. Mine comes with NOTHING.... really annoying. The poseable hands are just GREAT and I really dont care much about the microman figure, It is stored inside the dog : ) so I cant see it.

Anyways side by side my my Yammie Dog... I think I like the Yamato better. Well, I painted my Yamato, otherwise I would prefer the DMZ. All in all, great toy, GREAT FINISHING.... I will buy them all.

LAter will post some pics of my twoi Dogs for size comparisson.

Hah, you should have bought the first Scopedog (DMZ # 01). Lots of weathering and some Tampo printed markings.

The DMZ # 03 Scopedog with Round Mover is supposed to b a factory fresh version, so no markings or weathering. It's a toy of the new unused Scopedogs that Fyana and Chirico find on the Mystery spaceship X, in the Deadworld Sunsa story arc.

Graham

I like the look of the SD with Roundmover, and especially the new hands, but I've already got a Dog with Roundmover... and that one only comes with a bazooka as well...

No love for the upcoming Rabidry Dog? Its the latest DMZ, and a sculpt that Yamato never made in the 1/12 line. It got a new Chirico head(helmet with visible eyes) to boot. It might be a good buy for you, rather than other DMZ sculpt that you already have in a different line. Only about 2 months from now. I am very excited for this one.

However, in the Big Battle OVA, Rabidry Dogs were turned into sucky purple versions that got slaughtered in seconds. Thought it was supposed to be the most advanced dog in that era, designed by no one but a 'god'. Wonder if Takara will do that purple repaint later on.

Retracting Head, do you mean the Microman figure's arm went limp, or the Scopedog's?

Mpchi you might be right about the RabidryDog... at first I thought it looked odd bc/ some of the HLJ photos make it look really bloated and wide, but I think that might just be an odd perspective bc/ the other shots make it look like a pretty neat Scopedog-esque variant. Thing is, it's listed at about $140, which is alot, and actually more than I've payed for either of my Yamato 'Dogs...

Yeah, the bigger DMZ are getting expensive. Though I feel that its worth it, especially many of us are used to pay $130+ for a 1/48 VF-1. :p Even a DMZ-01 with weapon set will bring you up there. No cheap route around it. Even any Yamato 1/12 dog will get up there if not more for any additions.

I am excited about Rabidry Dog's backpack gimmick, dropping bombs with a release button, as well as its claw (probably like the Strikedog) and the working tread on the feet. Its going to tower my DMZ-01 quite a bit.

A hobbyshow recap of the upcoming DMZ Rabidlydog:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/g-toys/wonfes07win/42/25.html

http://ga.sbcr.jp/g-toys/wonfes07win/42/26.html

http://ga.sbcr.jp/g-toys/wonfes07win/42/27.html

http://ga.sbcr.jp/g-toys/wonfes07win/42/28.html

http://ga.sbcr.jp/g-toys/wonfes07win/42/29.html

It might share some similarities with the Strikedog, but there's quite a few newly molded parts as well. Definitely on my want-list!

Edited by drifand