May'n - The Galactic Fairy

vanpang

INTERVIEW WITH MAYN AT ANIME FESTIVAL ASIA 2012

Once again fellow Macross fans, James Wong and Vanpang managed to catch up with Mayn san, during AFA 2012 on 9th November 2012 at The Changi Village Hotel, Singapore.

The interview was conducted together with other media representatives from Hexishe, Ani-Culture,Teenage, Anime Shrine and Seiyunews (Japanese Media).

Due to the constraint of time and her busy schedule,all Media present there were given a limited number of questions to be put forward to her.

All her answers were conveyed to the Media in English through a translator and as such some content maybe lost in translation.

Media : WEIBO, which is a well known social networking site in China, which has been a hot topic, and has attracted fans from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia,and other countries in South East Asia to join the club. Would Mayn san be personally interacting more with fans by reading their comments and leaving them messages?

Mayn : Im at the moment still learning Mandarin and English, but I will sometimes leave some messages for my fans.

Media : Is there a chance for you to set up a worldwide fan club in the future?

Mayn : By setting up one, I can attract lots of fans and I would be really happy and excited.. Hopefully one day I can set up one in the future.

Media : While on your R.Y.B. world tour, do you make it a mission to have a food trail in any of the local delicacies in the countries that youve visited? What food that you have had, would you recommed to your fans?

(Note : R.Y,B, stands for Rock Your Beats, which is the name of the world tour that ended on its run on 20th October 2012)

Mayn : During the tour, Ive been to many countries that Ive never been before and as for the food, I liked them all. If youre in Taiwan, I would recommend Shiao Loong Bao

(Shiao Loong Bao Little Dragon Dumpling)

Mayn : Ooops! Sorry! I talked about Taiwan, where I joined the event! I meant Shiao Loong Bao from China!

(Everyone in the room laughed)

Media : How has performing overseas changed you musically and personally?

Mayn : My first overseas life performance was in Singapore,five years ago during AFA 2008 and was really amazed to know how close I felt with the audience under one sky, when before this Singapore seem really far away. But by performing, I felt everyone was really close.And as I toured around U.S. and Europe and Asia, everyone becomes so close to me and theres a feeling of unity. That feeling I try to combine into my songs.

Media : Do you have any pre concert routines?

Mayn : Every time before I perform, I would get my microphone in advance and kinda hold it so that I am comfortable with it and it becomes a part of me.

Japanese Media : In your song WE ARE, is the lyrics for your fans?

Mayn : Yes, Itry to be there for each of the fans after listening to their worries and stories overtime but through music, I can be close and be there for them. Thats what I would like to be.

(Note : WE ARE is one of the tracks from her 2012 album HEAT of the Moment)

Media : If there any anime that you are currently watching?

Mayn : BTOOOM! Which I watch every week.

(Note : Mayn performed the Ending theme song (Ao Sora) for this series.)

Media : Looking back at your Rock Your Beats concert tour, perhaps you could share some of your experience and fond memories?

Mayn : When I perform Chase The World for the first time for the R.Y.B. tour, every country that I went, everyone knew the song and sang along with me and that was an amazing experience for me and this time in Singapore, I will perform it too and cant wait to do it for my Singapore fans.

(Note : Chase The World is the Opening theme song for the anime ACCEL WORLD)

Media : Many of your US fans has commented that your command of English has vastly improved since they last saw you.

Mayn : Waah! Ganbaremasu! (I will certainly put more effort!)

(Everyone in the room laughed)

Media : Youve mentioned before In an interview, that there are something that make you feel sad. So, were wondering what would actually make you feel sad?

Mayn : Sometimes, when Im doing a Live concert, I have difficulty maintaining my stamina and its hard to face the fans. But thinking of the fans and looking forward to meeting them gives me the energy to move forward and I dont feel sad anymore.

Japanese Media : Since you have been in Singapore so many times, could you recommend a place or restaurant and what food?

Mayn : I liked Chicken rice but my favourite is Prata bread, which comes in many kinds of flavour. Banana Prata would be my choice.

Japanese Media : Whats a Banana Prata?

Mayn : It comes with Indian Curry, the bread is like Naan but more flakey and it has banana inside and sweet. You can find it on Sentosa island.Ive been there once and I would like to visit it again.

With that, we have ran out of time and the interview with Mayn san concludes. Everyone thanked Mayn san for the opportunity and a photo sessions began. Mayn san will be performing on stage on the 11th November (Sunday) night.

Special Thanks goes to Lim Wee Ling, Stephanie Seah, Michelle Tong of Asia PR Werkz Pte Ltd and Shawn Chin of Anime Festival Asia for arranging and assistance for the interview.

Edited by vanpang

Heh.I was there. Good show.

Yep it sure was. Even if I was sick for the second one, lol.

(Just in case anyone missed this way back: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35968&hl=macrossmass&fromsearch=1 )

Too bad it was reportedly the final Macross Frontier concert Yoko Kanno will be involved in.

Also, the Bluray has been discounted by 2300yen over at Amazon JPN, so grab em at a relatively more affordable price while you can!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9F-%E8%B6%85%E6%99%82%E7%A9%BA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%96-cosmic-%E3%82%B3%E3%82%BA%E3%83%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E5%A8%98-Blu-ray/dp/B005MT737C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356434703&sr=8-3

Ha ha ha, what I meant was the original Zetran Giant Klan2 and the Micronized one which was both voice by Megumi Yoyoguchi. Since she sang with both voices, it sounded like there were 2 different persons : )

Toyoguchi.

Wow, someone was recognized! Go get the DVD/BD when it's available! It's one of those moments in life that you'll have fond memories off.

Me. I'll get it because the tour didn't come to my region! Hope next year she'll drop by with the full concert!

Edited by VF25-F

Nothing much going on. From her blog I gather May'n is taking a much needed break, which I don't think is very long cause her new album will be coming out, new songs to practice, new dance moves and of course her 2013 'Mic-A-Mania concert in Budokan to prepare for.

Happy New Year 2013 everyone!.

Japan has just got into 2013.

I also read her blog recently. I wonder if she will go to the SD Exhibition or not because Hirakata Park is less than 2 hours or so from her home town, Nagoya by the bullet train and the Keihan line.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the full version of Ao zora (posted by fans), the ending theme of the anime BTOOOM! There's something about this song that got me listening to it over and over again. I guess this song will rank high among my favorite May'n slow numbers like 'Swan', 'If you wished for.....', 'Love, like falling stars' and the all time 'Diamond Crevasse'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKesZOUsRDc

• 2 weeks later...

This just came in like 48 hrs ago (Thanks to Desmond and antibiotictab). This one really got me by surprise as this one landed practically in my backyard! I didn't manage to post this earlier as i was busy with Vanpang trying to arrange for other members of our Macross club and her fans to attend this event. While it's under Animax, but it's sponsored by our local cable network ASTRO which require the monthly bill as proof to participate in this event. (1 bill for 4 persons)

The event looked like it's a meet and greet thingy (probably 1 to 2 pm), still it's a good chance for those that could not go to Singapore to see her in person and watch her perform live. I hope that it would 'blossom' into a full concert as she's already here! Would be a waste to for her to travel (6-7 hour's flight) all the way here, stay on stage for an hour or so and fly off....... Anyway, that's the topic for March 16th

https://www.animax-asia.com/carnival2013my/guest

• 2 weeks later...

This is kinda out of the norm, I mean, usually May'n would release her new album sometime before her BIG concert but this time I can't seem to find anything (checked with my other sources also) - not even a hint of the title of the album - unless it's Mic-A-Mania!

Maybe they want to surprise the audience but it can have an unresponsive effect - such as one I witnessed in Singapore during AFA 2009 where she introduced a few tracks from her Big Waaaaave album. The audience just stood there - passive. They just clapped when the song ended. I suppose a lot of them are trying to digest what they are hearing and can't decide whether they like it or not. When she revert back to her known songs, the audience behaved back to the likes that you usually see her videos.

The way I see it, everything is running late. Maybe there was a final cut that director didn't like as the footage of the DVD version is slightly different from the Blu-Ray one. Because of the delays, they decided to go ahead with the DVD mass production or maybe the company doing the Blu-Ray press has it's quota filled and can't accept anymore jobs for the time being.

Very likely the Blu-Ray version will come out later as it's the industrial standard today (another fan is also waiting for this format)

In any case, if you can't wait - The DVD format encoding is also superb. Judging from the previous concerts releases, you can't see the pixels (I'm watching it on a 37 inch LCD TV ) Thin diagonal lines appear smooth and not 'staircase like'. Only thing I can complain is certain dark areas appear like a faint dark cloud (not patches) and that is only when you look at it up close. I'd remember seeing some less well encoded ones that when you look at it, it looks like there's a dark cloud of flies buzzing around!

By the way, I need to confirm this, my DVD player is a PIONEER. It seems to be Region free. Another member also had the same brand and Region 2 plays without problems. Alternatively, try using your PC DVD drive. Mine is a SAMSUNG and it's region free. I suppose the safest way is to borrow a Region 2 disc and try it out before you buy the player.

On Feb 13, a news came in. Horipro, the agent company May'n belongs to, obtained 13.5% of Tatsunoko's stock. Why Tatsunoko? What does Horipro want to do with Tatsunoko (with May'n)? Tatsunoko still wants something about Macross with Horipro? Hmm.

On Feb 13, a news came in. Horipro, the agent company May'n belongs to, obtained 13.5% of Tatsunoko's stock. Why Tatsunoko? What does Horipro want to do with Tatsunoko (with May'n)? Tatsunoko still wants something about Macross with Horipro? Hmm.

GATCHAMAN!!!! Maybe?

GATCHAMAN!!!! Maybe?

I have no idea, but in Gatchaman the movie, one actor who acts Ryu belongs to Horipro; Ryohei Suzuki.

Sorry for a little off topic. May'n is on the top page of this week's Weekly Ascii Magazine.

2013_02_18_wam919_cover_480_o_.jpg

Edited by antibiotictab

That would be friggin amazing if Frontier made enough for Big West friendly folks to buy out Tatsunoko and solve the world wide Macross problem.

Harmony Gold couldn't stop Macross in the US if Tatsunoko shareholders revoked their ill gotten distribution license.

It would be like pulling the rug out from under HG.

Oh well, one can dream anyway.

So this one is new to me. I have heard some of her pre macross stuff, Sympathy, Pappa dont preach, etc but not this.

What I can gather it was for a wedding magazine pre-macross. I am guessing there was no MV? When I first stumbled upon this I thought it was a alto/sheryl marriage song from one of the upcoming Macross music events.

Oddly this one is named the ' Papapapan song' which is actually a popular wedding song with no lyrics (I've actually let a married person hear it but she couldn't quite remember where she heard it - sheeesh, her wedding must have been a looooong time ago) Judging from the name It sounded like some prototype song which they haven't quite given a proper name for it and finally decided not to use it.

My first thoughts were the same as ATLMYK's. - promo for Sayonara no Tsubasa showed Sheryl in a wedding dress and in church and it looked like Alto didn't quite make it to the church (maybe gone the same way as Fokker in the original TV series!)

Could have been popular at weddings - Macross/May'n fan style weddings! Even More Awesome - She sings it LIVE at your wedding! Hmmm......maybe should ask the person who sang this for the background story.....

Edited by VF25-F

I have no idea, but in Gatchaman the movie, one actor who acts Ryu belongs to Horipro; Ryohei Suzuki.

Sorry for a little off topic. May'n is on the top page of this week's Weekly Ascii Magazine.

2013_02_18_wam919_cover_480_o_.jpg

Inside is a short interview with May'n with regards to her upcoming concert and her outlook in life.

http://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/129/129697/?fb_action_ids=10151332968896374&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%2210151332968896374%22%3A209527992521314%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151332968896374%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Edited by VF25-F

Morning, folks.

May'n concert, "Mic-A-Mania" at Budokan is held today and the remaining tickets for today will start being sold from 4 pm.

Edited by antibiotictab

There are still tickets left? I thought they were all sold off in fanclub raffle thingy.

Well, the concert itself has already finished about 4.5 hours ago...

Or you are talking about the coming unpluged tour?

Ah, I misunderstood.

The answer was yes. We could buy the tickets even on the day before the concert online. Well, I am not a funclub member.

I think such ani-son singers who sell over 10,000 tickets only in funclub members don't exist except Nana Mizuki and HTT; Hokago Tea Time...

Edited by antibiotictab