Battlestar Craptacular

JELEINEN Posted on Dec 19 2003, 09:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the theme hasn't left. Movies are as luddite as they ever were. Hiroshima may be a convenient excuse for films of the fifties, but why does the frankenstein theme persist? I'm lead to believe that it's a deeply rooted ideology in the film community, but I have no clue as to why. I do find it ironic considering the industry's dependence on technology for it's very existence.

I think that society in general, Hollywood specifically, likes to bite the hand that feeds them. The U.S. media conglomerates love to try to scare the crap out of everyone, including themselves. Case in point: every once in awhile, some news broadcast is harping on the dangers of commercial flying. Nevermind the fact that a person is more likely to die in a car accident either going to, or returning from the airport than in the actual flight itself.

I'm kind of miffed that they changed the origin of the Cylons for the 'Mini'. I thought it was cool that the Colonials in the original series were NOT dealing with some screw-up of their making. But were dealing with someone else's screw-up. I also thought that could have been explored in possible continuation movies or series. I would've like to see a continuation of the O.S. where the (true) Galactica run into some Organic Cylons. But that didn't seem too likely to begin with. Even less so now.

I liked SAAB. I had not realised that they actually had a real ending to the season/series. I'm with Graham, though. I thought it was kind silly that pilots were doubling for GROPOS. It also seemed to suffer from any true ground army scenarios, troops, or equipment. I think there was an episode where they were riding around in an APC that the driver insisted on regarding it as a tank (the vehicle, not the clone slaves).

The 'Mini" just seemed like a bad copy of SAAB, Wing Commander, & BSG:OS blended together. I liked the Viper MKII & MKVII & the BAttlestars were OK. I still prefer the original ship designs.

If Skiffy (Sci-Fi channel) does turn this into a regular series, you know that they will only screw it up. Skiffy is only interested in quantity, not quality. Just look what happened to Farscape. Even IF the new Battlestar series is really good, Skiffy will only cut it down in the middle of its theoretical prime & replace it with 'Tremors Series: The Next Gerneration' or 'Mad Mad House 2'. Until Bonnie "The Bitch" Hammers gets fired, demoted, or otherwise displaced as the person in charge of Skiffy programming, Skiffy is only good for the syndicated shows it has in its library.

Edited by Mechwolf

Why was SAAB cancelled? Does anyone know?

It was on Fox (or affiliate). :angry: 'Nuff said. :mellow:

Just look at the cadaver trail of good (and potentially good) scifi/fantasy shows that are left whenever Fox touches them: Firefly, Alien Nation, Space: Above and Beyond, The Visitor, Forever Knight, Harsh Realm, Brimstone, VR5, etc., etc., ad nauseum. <_<

Well, at least Firefly is available on DVD now... I thought that was a series with real potential. I'd catch it and John Doe right after....

Is John Doe still on? If it is, I guess it's just between seasons....

Why was SAAB cancelled?  Does anyone know?

It was on Fox (or affiliate). :angry: 'Nuff said. :mellow:

Just look at the cadaver trail of good (and potentially good) scifi/fantasy shows that are left whenever Fox touches them: Firefly, Alien Nation, Space: Above and Beyond, The Visitor, Forever Knight, Harsh Realm, Brimstone, VR5, etc., etc., ad nauseum. <_<

no more dark angel = no more jessica alba. damn you fox, execs. damn you all.....

Harsh Realm was pretty good too.

Actually to tell you the truth if you watched all 24 episodes the story ended well. The chigs look like they got thier butt handed to them in the final battle, I don't want to ruin the plot for new people but a major mission objective is completed adn some shocking events happen in quick succession.  So yeah it leaves you in an emotional lurch. BUT at least I could live with it.. A success... Rather short but a good solid series worth tracking down if none of you have heard of it before or seen it all...

BTW: Chig on your 6! Jink JinK Jink! (Easy as pancakes)  :p

oh yeah, the pancakes - only time I've ever seen a friend get emotional over a breakfast food in a tv show and also, HOLY CRAP!!! What game is that mod for and where can I get it?!?! As to toys/props I've only found the $60+ models.....and I agree it was a great ending to the series that fit with the shows dark (truthful) look at war, I also heard the producers did that as kind of their retaliation at FOX for the cancellation

I think that society in general, Hollywood specifically, likes to bite the hand that feeds them. The U.S. media conglomerates love to try to scare the crap out of everyone, including themselves. Case in point: every once in awhile, some news broadcast is harping on the dangers of commercial flying. Nevermind the fact that a person is more likely to die in a car accident either going to, or returning from the airport than in the actual flight itself.

I'm kind of miffed that they changed the origin of the Cylons for the 'Mini'. I thought it was cool that the Colonials in the original series were NOT dealing with some screw-up of their making. But were dealing with someone else's screw-up. I also thought that could have been explored in possible continuation movies or series. I would've like to see a continuation of the O.S. where the (true) Galactica run into some Organic Cylons. But that didn't seem too likely to begin with. Even less so now.

I liked SAAB. I had not realised that they actually had a real ending to the season/series. I'm with Graham, though. I thought it was kind silly that pilots were doubling for GROPOS. It also seemed to suffer from any true ground army scenarios, troops, or equipment. I think there was an episode where they were riding around in an APC that the driver insisted on regarding it as a tank (the vehicle, not the clone slaves).

The 'Mini" just seemed like a bad copy of SAAB, Wing Commander, & BSG:OS blended together. I liked the Viper MKII & MKVII & the BAttlestars were OK. I still prefer the original ship designs.

If Skiffy (Sci-Fi channel) does turn this into a regular series, you know that they will only screw it up. Skiffy is only interested in quantity, not quality. Just look what happened to Farscape. Even IF the new Battlestar series is really good, Skiffy will only cut it down in the middle of its theoretical prime & replace it with 'Tremors Series: The Next Gerneration' or 'Mad Mad House 2'. Until Bonnie "The Bitch" Hammers gets fired, demoted, or otherwise displaced as the person in charge of Skiffy programming, Skiffy is only good for the syndicated shows it has in its library.

In a post 9-11 world where the US has gone to war with Afganistan and Iraq, SAAB might have actually done better. The series proved dark and it did show the harsh realities of combat even though there were some obvious quirks (yes, Marine pilots do not double as troops). Take one episode called, "Toy Soldiers." One of the main characters (Nathan) has his younger brother (Nei) sign-up into the marines. This younger sibling has a gung-ho leader who talks of glory in combat. On one of their first assignments for this green unit, they essentially get ambushed and wiped out.

On a prop board that I frequent, some people have heard rumors that "Skiffy" saw significant ratings with the new version of Battlestar Galactica, supposedly well above the mark to make this a regular series. Only time will tell to see if this happens.

• 5 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new post I thought I'd just bump this one with the new information.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...38&obj_id=40649

SCOOP: GALACTICA given six

A trustworthy source tells us the new GALACTICA is a go

Dateline: Wednesday, January 21, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL

By: News Editor

Source: Anonymous

While fans of the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA "re-imagining" wait for official word to find out whether or not The Sci Fi Channel has decided to take the show to series, we've heard from one of our trustworthy sources on the matter. According to this Vancouver-based source, the Channel has given the producers of the new GALACTICA a six-episode commitment. It just hasn't been officially announced yet.

Debuting to strong ratings, last month's broadcast of the two-part, four-hour BATTLESTAR GALACTICA mini-series earned the Sci Fi Channel its third highest ratings ever for a program. The second night of GALACTICA grabbed a larger share of the audience than the first night. Usually this kind of good news would be enough to launch the program into a full-fledged series but the show's high cost per episode (which is ironically the same kind of issue that led to the original GALACTICA's swift cancellation after just one season) is contributing to cold feet by Channel suits. But as our source tells us -- and we know who they are and their previous established track history is solid -- the Channel has ordered a half-dozen hour-long episodes. It's expected that all of the primary cast members from the mini-series will re-appear in the series version of GALACTICA.

I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what the new episodes will be like.

Edited by Effect