Battlestar Craptacular

Wonder if we will ever get this here in HK? Even though it's probably really bad, I still want to see it just to see how awful it is and well, because I'm a masochist  :D

Given the reviews so far, you'll probably hate the new Galactica more than G-Saviour. But then again, that's almost impossible, as G-Saviour is practically second to Battlefield Earth as the worst sci-fi ever conceived.

Totally agree. These were the best aspects of the original and to no one's surprise, the writers of this remake dropped it.

The [first season of the] original was at least fun because of the fantasy factor. My brother and I watched this remake thinking it would be a throwback to when we were six and seven years old and we IMMEDIATELY knew that we wanted the original Starbuck, Boomer, the Egyptian helmets, and references to ancient Earth civilizations back.

The stupidest part had to be "This is Colonial 1 now!" and we were like, 'WTF are these the same writers from ID4-Independence Day or are they stealing lines from it, since they have that (teacher turned president) lady from it?' To us, it seemed like the writers wanted to replicate the successes of that movie i.e. story telling, concept of a 'President', and mixing in the realistic US military and politics stuff into what should've been a fantasy "hero's quest" story.

Bad Ideas:

Apollo and Boomer are now females.

are you agaisnt women? also it's star buck.

Humanlike Cylons... she wasn't that sexy even though they forced it

she was hot....

Backward technology that runs a space battleship (no computer network??? yeah right!)

tha tmade sence. if you have an enemie that can "Hack" into any system networked together your dead.

they had the sem tech. i twas jsut isolated. in case on part was taken over th eother part woudl function.

School teacher becomes president

She was a politician. head of education. All politicians are the same. If she was an educator ir means she is smarter then mos topolitican s we have in the usa.

Adama and Apollo are father and son? Was that the case in the original?

yes. Appolo and sheba where sisters and adama was their father. and yes zach did die in theoriginal.

Starbuck wasn't as bad as I feared, but didn't need to be made a chic.  Boomer being an asian chic drew a bigger "WTF?" from me.  Why do they need to use the old names if they're not going to be anything like the old characters?

Yeah I don't get the point of making a male character a girl if they're just going to act manly. What's the point. It's like Starbuck au lait.

she is nto starbuck. she si a chick who's callname/call sign is "star buck" I like her. she has far more punk and guts then alot fo characters. Also she is more gunho then starbuck.

Sounds like this is just a new B-grade SF show that got the Battlestar Galactica title slapped on it purely for name recognition. No thanks. I'll pass.

good for you for passing judgment without first seeing things for yoru self. Be a sheep. we need more.

ps

grace_park_4.jpg

yum yum . I;'d like both of them please

Sounds like this is just a new B-grade SF show that got the Battlestar Galactica title slapped on it purely for name recognition.  No thanks.  I'll pass.

good for you for passing judgment without first seeing things for yoru self. Be a sheep. we need more.

ps

grace_park_4.jpg

If thats Kristine(sp) Kreuk... that sure as hell is bad pic of her. :blink:

As for Battlestar Galactica.... considering the original sucked big, bloated, goat nuts... how much worse can the remake be? <_<

As for Battlestar Galactica.... considering the original sucked big, bloated, goat nuts... how much worse can the remake be? <_<

You mean because it was a cheap ripoff of Star Wars?

And if you want to see sucking big bloated goat nuts, be sure to see Mystery Science Theater 3000 do Space Mutiny.

*shudder*

Vostok 7

Starbuck wasn't as bad as I feared, but didn't need to be made a chic.  Boomer being an asian chic drew a bigger "WTF?" from me.  Why do they need to use the old names if they're not going to be anything like the old characters?

Yeah I don't get the point of making a male character a girl if they're just going to act manly. What's the point. It's like Starbuck au lait.

she is nto starbuck. she si a chick who's callname/call sign is "star buck" I like her. she has far more punk and guts then alot fo characters. Also she is more gunho then starbuck.

So all they did for the remake was give them first and last names -big whoop-, they still pretty much follow the same roles from the original storyline! Starbuck has the similar 's'punk of Starbuck of old only now as a woman, Apollo and Adama are still father and son, Adama the leader, Apollo the leader pilot, and same ole villainous Baltar only younger and more savvy-- Not new characters--...

The secretary of education turned president and the female cylon spy are --new characters--! All Cali is saying is that if they wanted more eye candy, they could've added in more female pilots not change the sexes of Starbuck and Boomer.

Yeah my brother and I noticed that too and then that "Colonial1" cheese got us speculating if they are tring to rip some stuff from ID4.

Damn dude, I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, but at least proof read if you're gonna post like THAT.

We know that chic is NOT Starbuck. But it's not coinicidence that they picked that name (callsign or not) for her.

As far as B5 goes, the war ended too quick. They should have had the war go the whole way through season 4 and end right at the end of season 5. But yeah season 5 is definately a downer. And Crusade wasn't any better.

But an interesting anecdote is that they filmed the last episode of the series at the end of Season 4, when they weren't sure they would get a season 5.

you know what... I like the remake (wait's to be pelted with a dead stick by a daggit named muffit)... I understood that it will not be the same as the original and that character changes will be made.

it was even stated on magazines and at scifi channel... what i can't seem to grasp is why ppl would be upset over the changes in characters, personalities and story (ranted the lines could have improved)... the storylines are new, they've gone retrotech (not robotech) on certain equipment, and yet atleast kept the Viper almost the same and given the cylon fighters a meaner look.

atleast give it another chance w/out having to compare it with the original, that's all, and see if you can stomach it once more time.

atleast give it another chance w/out having to compare it with the original, that's all, and see if you can stomach it once more time.

It can't be helped since the whole purpose of the remake was to cash in on the nostalgia of us who actually remember the show... Otherwise they should've just done a whole new storyline, next gen or Alternate Universe...

I have an honest question here:

What does everyone see in the original Battlestar Galactica that they don't see (and somehow hate) in this new one? I watched the original BS: Galactica back in the '80s when it was on TV and I didn't think much of it then and still don't think much of it now. Sure it was the only thing on that was Sci-fi aside from Buck Rodgers (which was another terrible '80s show that everyone likes) so I'm chalking this up to "Star Wars syndrome" in that everyone is thinking of the original show with a patina of fond childhood memories and not remembering how terrible and stupid it was... I mean for god's sake it got cancelled... it had more reused stock footage and plot holes than Robotech. In my mind it isn't like they can screw the show up any more than the original one so I'll watch a few more episodes until I tire of it... which will most likely be tonight as it moves at a snail's pace with less action than nuns see in a convent.

Now before my poop gets jumped by the crazies, I don't like this new one either... but I don't have a burning hatred of it and wish it dead. I see it for what it is, which is about the same thing as the original. Need I remind you all that BS: Galactica went downhill like a fat man on a greased sled after the first season? Anyone remember Battlestar "Conquest of the Earth"? Remember Wolfman Jack and the flying motorcycles? :ph34r:

If anything it is on par with the current Sci-fi TV shows on the tube: it is shallow, poorly written, cg'ed out the wazzoo with glaring mis-mathces with the real props, it reeks of "rip off" from several "bigger name" sources and it is staffed by B actors (including a bloated and rather sick looking Costello from Miami Vice) who are most likely crossing their fingers that their paychecks clear the bank. I bet Sci-fi will run the bajebus out of it like "Taken" until they come up with some other terrible mini series to take it's place (anyone up for a remake of Kidd Video?)...

Frankly, I rather enjoyed it.

I'd decided a long time ago that I was going to have to keep the old BG and the new one completely separate in my mind... That way, I might be able to enjoy it. And I actually did.

I do miss the music from the old series... as I recall, it was really pretty good. The music on the show last night was rather uninspiring, to say the least.

I'll be the first (or one of the first) to say I'm looking forward to the rest of it tonight....

Sometimes I think it's a miracle you people enjoy anything.....

I don't think the original is all that great to begin with.

The 'Ancient Astronaut' schtick was kinda entertaining as was the original Starbuck's character. And the basic story has promise, too.

But if I had to watch that SAME Cylon blow up one more time... :lol:

Oh yeah forgot to mention that I miss the old Cylon raider. It should have been given the "Mark II" treatment and upgraded not replaced with that dorky thing. (FYI, one reason the Trade Federation might use a battle droid "manned" AAT tank is that they had made it to sell to non battle droid use. The same line of logic could be used to ask why make battle droids shaped liek humanoids? Etc).

Definately hope to see more of these new Cylons and not the wanna be sexy version. (Yes, she did kill that baby for some reason).

Sounds like this is just a new B-grade SF show that got the Battlestar Galactica title slapped on it purely for name recognition.  No thanks.  I'll pass.

ps

grace_park_4.jpg

I liked the original. bsg 1980 sucked.

ps

grace_park_4.jpg

Wait... how many BS are there? :blink:

good for you for  passing judgment without first seeing things for yoru self.  Be a sheep. we need more.

It's called being discerning. I don't need to eat chocolate covered brussel sprouts to know they'll taste like crap.

I like brussel sprouts. so what. yoru comparing a food to a show.

You mean because it was a cheap ripoff of Star Wars?

And if you want to see sucking big bloated goat nuts, be sure to see Mystery Science Theater 3000 do Space Mutiny.

*shudder*

Vostok 7

no. learn your histroy please.

history bsg was concieved in the 60's

ps

grace_park_4.jpg

Wait... how many BS are there? :blink:

3 inlcuding a movie.

the cancneled bsg at season one. it;s ratign rose in and peple demanded it to ocme back. unfortunaly all cast wehre recomminted to other shwoes. so they reinvented it. and it sucked.

I have an honest question here:

What does everyone see in the original Battlestar Galactica ...

What I liked about Battlestar Galactica (it was a 70's show, BTW, not 80's; we won't get into the horror that was BG 1980):

- Mormons in space. This is the aspect that still facinates me the most about the series. It took an obvious inspiration from a real world source without necessarily hitting you over the head with it. It gave a much added depth to the series and was a very fresh idea; especially in a genre that generally deals with religion in a very negative manner.

- Ancient astornaut connection. Funnily enough, I find whack-job ancient astronaut theories to be some of the lamest ideas ever, but BG managed to tie it in well. For one thing, it wasn't a focus of the show, but another piece of background material. It also helped build a definite style. Not just the crash helmets, but the clothes, writing, sports, names and art all had an obvious egyptian/greek/aztec influence (reversed engineered, from the show's perspective).

- Memorable characters. Adama, Starbuck, Baltar et al were interesting people played by capable actors.

What I didn't like:

- Villians as plot device. The Cylons, though kind of cool looking, were lifeless (no pun intended) and two dimmensional. Maybe if TV censors had allowed them to be aliens instead of robots they might have been bettter, but as is they could have been replaced with a natural disaster with little consequence to the plot of the series.

- Obvious budget constraints. BG was actually a big budget show for its day, but even then the necessities of science fiction strained even that budget. The worst offender was the re-used space combat footage

Edited by JELEINEN

Just some advice, speaking as a huge Babylon 5 fan, you might not be so thrilled with fifth season.  It's easily the weakest season of the five-year show.  Personally, I can watch and enjoy it, but I beleive the fifth season could be skipped quite easily by most fans.  Worth a look regardless.

yep. but i did like the very last episode. it did a pretty good job of closing out the series. pretty sad.... :(

last 5th season ep, that the one where the future humans are looking back on the past?

no. the one where Sheridan calls all his friends together to celebrate his last days. the Humans looking back ep was at the end of season 4, IIRC....

Whatever happens to marcus? is he left sleeping forever??