Macross Frontier Complete Soundtrack Release?

JetJockey

Has anyone heard of a Macross Frontier Complete Soundtrack in the works? A few years back I read something on another forum about the possibility of a complete soundtrack. I've been holding off on all the normal releases just in case. Yoko Kanno did put together a Ghost in the Shell soundtrack box with all the released CDs and a extra track compilation of songs. That GitS release is still missing a few songs however. I would like a complete Macross Frontier soundtrack to go with my original Macross the Complete CD set.

The CD that Benson is referring to, not exactly sure which one that is, but there was a 2 CD set that basically covered just about everything on the series. The movies should have their own CDs. I don't think they'd actually do a 100% complete compilation, as I assume they make more money selling the complilations separate, than one huge bundle. Maybe down the line we'll see it, like the Macross 4 CD compilation that Victor put out years ago, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it. There are also special CDs with the voice actors singing, a Christmas CD? and maybe a couple others. Frontier had a ton of music.

@Jetjockey - Uh no, no such thing has ever even been hinted at afaik. But given the popularity of the single soundtrack volumes, I cant say that such a thing would happen soon if it were to happen at all. And if you are holding off on buying some of the best Japanese music in the past decade on the outside hope that a few overlooked bits of BGM will get released later on then you are doing yourself a disservice imo. Some awesome, awesome music in there!

@Benson13 - what DVD release was that? No Japanese release came with any sort of CD. And theres a lot more than 20 songs fyi :-)

@Jetjockey - Uh no, no such thing has ever even been hinted at afaik. But given the popularity of the single soundtrack volumes, I cant say that such a thing would happen soon if it were to happen at all. And if you are holding off on buying some of the best Japanese music in the past decade on the outside hope that a few overlooked bits of BGM will get released later on then you are doing yourself a disservice imo. Some awesome, awesome music in there!

I think there was something on Gabriela Robin about a complete Macross Frontier set. Maybe it was just in the comments. I can't remember as it was a few years ago.

However, it did take a while to get that Ghost in the Shell SAC soundtrack set.That's why I was thinking that maybe we would see something this year with the Macross anniversary.

The BGM was released in two separate CDs, am I correct? I know there's quite a bit of it missing, and that's a shame. Even with that sad fact, there is a TON of vocal and orchestral tracks on several CDs, that is just a sin to skip over. As for what Benson got, I think it might be a bootleg version. I've seen the floating on the Evilbay website, the entire t.v. show plus a music CD.

• 8 months later...

Anyone think that it is time to give up on the idea of a complete soundtrack box for Macross Frontier? I believe it's been about two years since the last CD release. I was positive that they were going to release a complete box set for the anniversary. But I guess not. The Ghost in the Shell Box was released a year or so after Solid State Society. That still hasn't had a complete release either. It probably would have been cheaper to get a box set too over the individual releases for Macross Frontier.

Edited by JetJockey

Anyone think that it is time to give up on the idea of a complete soundtrack box for Macross Frontier? I believe it's been about two years since the last CD release. I was positive that they were going to release a complete box set for the anniversary. But I guess not. The Ghost in the Shell Box was released a year or so after Solid State Society. That still hasn't had a complete release either. It probably would have been cheaper to get a box set too over the individual releases for Macross Frontier.

Tochiro's right. No one has ever mentioned anything about a complete set (except fans).

• 3 weeks later...

Macross Frontier songs have been near the top of the REGULAR music charts. They have no reason to treat it like a normal bunch of incedential background music and filler songs released in an affordable collection.

Sadly.

Oh well, I guess I'll get the individual CDs. They are still expensive too.

Oh well, I guess I'll get the individual CDs. They are still expensive too.

As someone who has been buying physical Japanese CDs since around 1991 or 92, as a general rule the prices of Japanese, japan-only CDs never drops. The only way to get them cheaper is to buy 2nd hand (which many ppl do). Even when boxsets/collections are released, they are hundreds of dollars at release or else soon end up being so on the 2nd hand market (ie, the Cowboy Bebop and GitS:SAC ones), meaning that box sets are usually more of a collectors item than an affordable alternative and have a limited print run to match.

TL:DR, I recommend the individual albums which are all still available at their original recommended retail price.