Erm, no. Well, maybe if you're 14.

Read Bachmann/King's "The Long March" instead.

We're on a website that is dedicated to a cartoon with transforming robots, space invaders, their related toys and man-dolls; I think it's safe to say we're all young at heart or we wouldn't even be here. My point still stands: some of you may consider the Hunger Games a good read...

I thought the books were good as well. Not great literature or any thing but still good fun reads.

I've noticed lately there is a trend going on around here of people just dismissing things with the "no" comment. Never giving anything a chance. Pretty juvenile IMO. Not saying everyone will love whatever is being talked about...but as Myk points out....look where we are. Glass houses....stones?

Chris

Well, I actually did read the first book when the son of my GF had it with him on a vacation - I'm fully ok with the language and character setup embracing the target group, but what I found appalling is how easily the author swallowed the whole beauty contest angle. Ruined the main character and indicated a lack of maturity on the author's side.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In other news, The Hunger Games series will follow the same trend as Harry Potter and Twilight, wherein the final chapter will be split into two movies. Mockingjay Part 1 hits theaters on November 21, 2014, while Mockingjay Part 2 opens on November 20, 2015. Julianne Moore has been confirmed to play President Alma Coin in both films.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Will the Hunger Games movies start another wave of exploitation flicks?

Judge for yourselves:

http://razethemovie.com/

I don't think Hunger Games or any other "girl power" movie has anything to do with sex-ploitation movies, rather the well of creativity is dry and done. Sex will always sell though, and the dull and bored public will always pay good money to see powerfully sexy girls doing powerful things very powerfully...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched Mockingjay Part 1, and for the most part, it's not as bad as the critics say. Sure, it gets boring during the first hour and it's all about propaganda, but it does an impressive job in depicting the psychological war between the rebels and the Capitol. And all this talk about shakycam syndrome is highly exaggerated, as the technique is used only on a pivotal battle scene. The acting is just as good as in Catching Fire.

Of course, there's a lot of talk about Jennifer Lawrence singing "The Hanging Tree". For some reason, she sounds so much like Suzanne Vega that I was expecting her to belt out "Tom's Diner".

Can't wait to see how this all ends next year.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I never read the books but thought the first two films were well made. I didn't care for the first of the two-parter so it sucked away the interest for the last film. Another example of why Hollywood should stop splitting books into separate part films. They should try and make the final film longer and more epic instead.

I never read the books but thought the first two films were well made. I didn't care for the first of the two-parter so it sucked away the interest for the last film. Another example of why Hollywood should stop splitting books into separate part films. They should try and make the final film longer and more epic instead.

That idea has been either hit or miss during the history of filmmaking. While I agree that splitting Mockingjay into two films was unnecessary, the Harry Potter fans have claimed that making The Deathly Hallows a two-parter was completely justifiable (I wouldn't know, as I've never read the books and I've only seen a couple of the movies which simply bored me). Twilight fans will always defend their franchise, no matter how abysmal it is.

That being said, since I've seen all of The Hunger Games in theaters, I might as well finish the job with Mockingjay Part 2.