All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

eh, I don't feel like waiting a month, I'm just going to order the regular version. I get a free copy of Titanfall with it anyways.

Do they still have the deal where you can get Forza for free, too?

So, I've been getting a craving for some action-arcade style games with a modern twist and have been looking at some titles on Steam to whet my appetite. So far, I'm interested in Geometry Wars, Syder Arcade, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks!, Waves, and BIT.TRIP BEAT. I'd like to know if any of you guys have any input on these titles, plus any others you'd like to suggest. Based on these games, you should be able to tell what types of games I'm looking for... stuff that mimics old-school arcade games like Asteroids, R-type, Gradius, Tron, Gorf, etc.

I'm also looking to buy a gamepad. I've never used one on a PC, so I don't know what the really good ones are out there. A quick look at Newegg and Fry's showed me that the Logitech F710 or F310 should be something like what I need. I'd probably go for the 310, as I don't see the need for a wireless controller. I could definitely use some input on this.

Thanks!

Ohhh Yeahhhh:

November 18th

on pc, ps3 ps4, 360, xbox one

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-4-release-date-kyrat/

Hope it's more Far Cry 3 than Far Cry 2. I couldn't get into Far Cry 2 at all, but Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games in 2012.

Even though I hate Uplay, and even though I've been console gaming a lot because of my shiny new next-gen consoles, I think I'll grab this on PC.

So, I've been getting a craving for some action-arcade style games with a modern twist and have been looking at some titles on Steam to whet my appetite. So far, I'm interested in Geometry Wars, Syder Arcade, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks!, Waves, and BIT.TRIP BEAT. I'd like to know if any of you guys have any input on these titles, plus any others you'd like to suggest. Based on these games, you should be able to tell what types of games I'm looking for... stuff that mimics old-school arcade games like Asteroids, R-type, Gradius, Tron, Gorf, etc.

I heard Bit Trip Beat was alot of fun but have never tried it myself. I suggest giving luftrausers a try, very fun 2D air combat bullet hell asteroids esque game.

I'm also looking to buy a gamepad. I've never used one on a PC, so I don't know what the really good ones are out there. A quick look at Newegg and Fry's showed me that the Logitech F710 or F310 should be something like what I need. I'd probably go for the 310, as I don't see the need for a wireless controller. I could definitely use some input on this.

Thanks!

Of all those games, I've only played Geometry Wars on the 360. It definitely satisfied my twitchy shooter cravings. As for gamepads, I've been using a Saitek P990 for the past 4 years or so, and it's still functioning very well. The D-pad feels smooth and and is perfect for all the emulated 2-D fighters. It can also switch from using the D-pad to the analog sticks at the push of a button.

Metal Slug 3 if you're into games like Contra, Waves if you like Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers if you like Golden Axe. Pac=Man Championship Edition DX if you're into Pac-Man.

Kinda disappointed that Galaga Legions DX isn't on Steam.

Thanks!

First, let's get this out of the way. If you're thinking of using a controller on PC, especially if you decide to branch out of the "arcade" sorts of games, then you're going to want a controller that supports X-Input. X-Input is a standard Microsoft created... oh, I guess with Windows Vista, around the time the Xbox 360 came out. Controllers that support X-Input have the same basic layout as the Xbox 360 controller... a d-pad, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, two sticks, plus start and select/back. When a game supports X-Input, and most games from the last 5+ years do, you don't have to mess around in the controls options of your games to set up the controller (unless you want to). It's plug-and-play, with the buttons already mapped. A game like Stryder, for example, would have the same default controls as the console version.

As for controllers that support X-Input, the best controller for PCs is the Xbox 360 controller. They are as close as PC has ever had to a "standard" first-party controller. You can either buy a wired one, buy the package for Windows that includes a wireless controller and the USB receiver, or buy a wireless receiver and wireless controller separately. Buying a wired controller is probably the cheapest way to go, but some of the special edition chrome controllers have the "transforming d-pad" that's a significant improvement over the non-transforming type. It's Microsoft's standard, and the controller that the handful of other X-Input supporting controllers are imitating. The Xbox 360 controller is pretty ergonomic, has good analog sticks, good trigger, and supports rumble. They're well-built, too... I bought a 360 and launch, and a wired controller to use as as spare, and both controllers are as good as the day I bought them 7 years ago. It's as plug-and-play as you could possibly want, since Windows 7 and 8 have drivers for it from the get go and can download updated drivers through Windows Update. It's biggest flaw is the d-pad, although as I said the ones with the "transforming" d-pads aren't as bad.

The Logitech F310 and F710 both support X-Input, and as far as I can tell their biggest distinction from Microsoft's own controllers are that the Logitech ones are shaped more like PlayStation controllers. I personally haven't used them, but I use Logitech mice, keyboards, and speakers, and their stuff is usually good, although sometimes you-get-what-you-pay-for, that is, their cheaper products can feel pretty cheap, but their higher-end stuff is usually top quality. Not having used them, I can't say if their d-pads are better than the 360 pads. The face buttons look identical to the 360's, though, and the triggers are more like the PS3 controller's than the 360's. In other words, unless you really prefer the shape or the flipped stick/d-pad placement, they really don't offer any compelling reason to choose them over a 360 pad. Plus, although I'd take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard anecdotal stories of problems with them. They're not even really cheaper, if you watch sales from places like Amazon.

Guest davidwhangchoi

just use your ps3 controller with motioninjoy modded without ads.

it emulates x-input. can emulate any controller. ps1,2,3 xbox360

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Looks like you can't buy the P990 new anywhere. Used ones on Amazon are $32+.

Not sure why you'd want one... the D-pad looks terrible, and I've never been a fan of six face buttons. It bills itself as a controller for first-person shooters, which is one genre PC gamers definitely do NOT need a controller for. And if it doesn't support X-Input, it's effectively obsolete (although there are workarounds).

People that own the P990 seem to like it, though. Saitek's a popular choice for flight sticks, too. Brand loyalty?

IF you already have a PS3 controller and a mini-USB cable or Bluetooth adapter, and IF you don't mind setting up MotionInJoy, yes, this is a valid solution.

If you don't have a PS3 controller, though, I still say go with a 360 controller. As much as we all love our PS3s here, even the most die-hard fans have to admit that the PS3's controller isn't the greatest. Plus, you don't have to futz with MotionInJoy if you use a 360 controller.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Not sure why you'd want one... the D-pad looks terrible, and I've never been a fan of six face buttons. It bills itself as a controller for first-person shooters, which is one genre PC gamers definitely do NOT need a controller for. And if it doesn't support X-Input, it's effectively obsolete (although there are workarounds).

People that own the P990 seem to like it, though. Saitek's a popular choice for flight sticks, too. Brand loyalty?

IF you already have a PS3 controller and a mini-USB cable or Bluetooth adapter, and IF you don't mind setting up MotionInJoy, yes, this is a valid solution.

If you don't have a PS3 controller, though, I still say go with a 360 controller. As much as we all love our PS3s here, even the most die-hard fans have to admit that the PS3's controller isn't the greatest. Plus, you don't have to futz with MotionInJoy if you use a 360 controller.

the main advantage for using the ps3 controller is the digital pad. motioninjoy is just one click no hassle.

stupid question; how are you even hooking up a PS1/PS2 controller to a PC? :huh:

:edit:

My XB1 should get here Tuesday, I hate waiting for stuff like this. <_<

Edited by anime52k8

Guest davidwhangchoi

stupid question; how are you even hooking up a PS1/PS2 controller to a PC? :huh:

My XB1 should get here Tuesday, I hate waiting for stuff like this. <_<

Oh i think i worded it wrong. Using the ps3 controller w/ motioninjoy. You can select to emulate all those controllers.

I think the x1 controller is arguably the greatest controller made ever.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Good breakdown and explanation, Mike. I did not mention that I do have a PS3 that goes (largely) unused at the moment. Perhaps I can mess with those controllers to "test out" the use of the gamepad on a PC game and see if I like it. More than likely, I'll enjoy it and will want something a little better-tailored to my tastes and I'll grab either one of those Logitech controllers or one of the X-box-style pads.

I played the demo for Waves and it's fun, but I'm not sure if I will like it enough to buy. I'll try it with a controller before I make a decision. The problem I see with BIT.TRIP BEAT is it apparently only has 3 levels. I really enjoyed Puppygames's Attack on Titan and their Droid Assault game looks like a lot of fun. I might start out with that.

the main advantage for using the ps3 controller is the digital pad. motioninjoy is just one click no hassle.

The PS3 controller does have a better d-pad, but not that much better that I'd recommend buying one for PC use over the Xbox controller, especially if you get an Xbox controller with the transforming d-pad. Take away the d-pads, and the PS3 controller is inferior in every other way.

And I've had troubles with MotionInJoy. I have one laptop that's very light and portable, but perhaps due to its size only has one USB port. I wanted to play A Link to the Past after finishing A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS, and I didn't want to drag my big gaming laptop out, so I figured it'd be ok to use the little laptop. I tried MotionInJoy, because the laptop does have bluetooth, but for whatever reason I could get the computer to recognize that their was a bluetooth device and to sync to it, but I couldn't get MotionInJoy to recognize that it was a PS3 controller.

I think the x1 controller is arguably the greatest controller made ever.

I agree! I think that the PS4 controller got a lot more hype because it was such a huge improvement over the PS3 controller, while the Xbox One's controller is mostly little refinements to the Xbox 360's. Once you get over how much better the PS4 controller is than the PS3's, and just compare how the PS4 and Xbox One controllers feel in your hands, the Xbox One controller is, at least to me, noticeably more comfortable. PS4 does have the better d-pad again, though.

Ok, this is probably another stupid question but I don't play fighting games so bear with me. It seems to me that what's generally regarded as the ideal control scheme for a fighting game is a proper arcade stick, so why is it that the Dpad is the preferred input method on controllers? wouldn't the analog stick be more directly analogous to a joy stick?

Ok, this is probably another stupid question but I don't play fighting games so bear with me. It seems to me that what's generally regarded as the ideal control scheme for a fighting game is a proper arcade stick, so why is it that the Dpad is the preferred input method on controllers? wouldn't the analog stick be more directly analogous to a joy stick?

It's all personal preference and whatever you're more comfortable with. Personally, using the analog stick is actually more cumbersome than a D pad since my thumb is stretched farther when using the stick as opposed to a D pad where my whole thumb is just resting on top of the pad.

When using an arcade stick, you have a solid base, and the stick is much larger than a stumpy analog stick. This allows a variety of grips for your whole hand.

I dunno, first started playing fighting games with Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II on the SNES. When I actually went to an arcade, I thought it was hard to play, and I've never understood why people want arcade sticks for fighting games on home consoles.

Not sure why you'd want one... the D-pad looks terrible, and I've never been a fan of six face buttons. It bills itself as a controller for first-person shooters, which is one genre PC gamers definitely do NOT need a controller for. And if it doesn't support X-Input, it's effectively obsolete (although there are workarounds).People that own the P990 seem to like it, though. Saitek's a popular choice for flight sticks, too. Brand loyalty?IF you already have a PS3 controller and a mini-USB cable or Bluetooth adapter, and IF you don't mind setting up MotionInJoy, yes, this is a valid solution.If you don't have a PS3 controller, though, I still say go with a 360 controller. As much as we all love our PS3s here, even the most die-hard fans have to admit that the PS3's controller isn't the greatest. Plus, you don't have to futz with MotionInJoy if you use a 360 controller.

The Saitek's D pad is fine. I admit I haven't used it for any new game so x input wasn't an issue. But for all emulators I have, it works perfectly. I've never had to use the FPS feature, but as the extra face buttons go, you don't have to use them, and I welcome the use of more buttons.

I dunno, first started playing fighting games with Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II on the SNES. When I actually went to an arcade, I thought it was hard to play, and I've never understood why people want arcade sticks for fighting games on home consoles.

Some fighting games require "buffering" buttons (holding one button down as you transition to another). This is far easier to do with separate fingers assigned to a button as opposed to one thumb for say six buttons. Besides, having a dedicated stick at home will prepare you to take on all comers on an arcade cabinet. What I loved about Japanese arcades was that their fighting game cabinets had ports where you could plug in your favorite game pad from your console.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

Guest davidwhangchoi

The PS3 controller does have a better d-pad, but not that much better that I'd recommend buying one for PC use over the Xbox controller, especially if you get an Xbox controller with the transforming d-pad. Take away the d-pads, and the PS3 controller is inferior in every other way.

And I've had troubles with MotionInJoy. I have one laptop that's very light and portable, but perhaps due to its size only has one USB port. I wanted to play A Link to the Past after finishing A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS, and I didn't want to drag my big gaming laptop out, so I figured it'd be ok to use the little laptop. I tried MotionInJoy, because the laptop does have bluetooth, but for whatever reason I could get the computer to recognize that their was a bluetooth device and to sync to it, but I couldn't get MotionInJoy to recognize that it was a PS3 controller.

I agree! I think that the PS4 controller got a lot more hype because it was such a huge improvement over the PS3 controller, while the Xbox One's controller is mostly little refinements to the Xbox 360's. Once you get over how much better the PS4 controller is than the PS3's, and just compare how the PS4 and Xbox One controllers feel in your hands, the Xbox One controller is, at least to me, noticeably more comfortable. PS4 does have the better d-pad again, though.

i agree with pretty much everything here except the transfroming dpad 360 controller. it is a failed gimmic and does not solve the 360 d-pad flaws for inaccuracy on false diagonal inputs. (i linked a review on the transforming d pad way back) the only way to solve is to custom mod it by taking it apart.

however the xbone controller has a great dpad and great analog sticks and great feel.

i agree with pretty much everything here except the transfroming dpad 360 controller. it is a failed gimmic and does not solve the 360 d-pad flaws for inaccuracy on false diagonal inputs. (i linked a review on the transforming d pad way back) the only way to solve is to custom mod it by taking it apart.

however the xbone controller has a great dpad and great analog sticks and great feel.

Gimmick or not, it's good enough that I can play Mega Man. What more do you want in a PC controller? Like I said, the PS3 controller has a better d-pad, but it has worse ergonomics, worse sticks, worse triggers, and (arguably) worse build quality. It's not even cheaper than the Xbox controller! So I stand by what I said, if you already have a PS3 go for it, but if you're looking to buy a dedicated PC controller for all the great variety of gaming that PC has to offer, you should buy an Xbox 360 controller.*

*Unless Microsoft releases PC drivers for the Xbox One controller like they've been swearing they will. Someday.

**If you're mostly playing emulators and don't need analog sticks, a controller with a better d-pad than the PS3 is the SNES controller, which is readily available in a USB model these days. I don't think that'd work for frothymug, whose already displayed a taste for twin stick shooters.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Gimmick or not, it's good enough that I can play Mega Man. What more do you want in a PC controller? Like I said, the PS3 controller has a better d-pad, but it has worse ergonomics, worse sticks, worse triggers, and (arguably) worse build quality. It's not even cheaper than the Xbox controller! So I stand by what I said, if you already have a PS3 go for it, but if you're looking to buy a dedicated PC controller for all the great variety of gaming that PC has to offer, you should buy an Xbox 360 controller.*

*Unless Microsoft releases PC drivers for the Xbox One controller like they've been swearing they will. Someday.

**If you're mostly playing emulators and don't need analog sticks, a controller with a better d-pad than the PS3 is the SNES controller, which is readily available in a USB model these days. I don't think that'd work for frothymug, whose already displayed a taste for twin stick shooters.

edite: spelling sorry was driving...

i agree w everything but the dpad. Mega man is primarily a 4 direction game. Any game that requires precise 8 way (diagonal)

Movement will suffer. But in every-way else 360 is better.

I don't think the ps3 triggers and analog sticks are that much worse than the 360 pad. So i prefer a controller that does everything decently well than a controller that is weak on one point and strongly excels on another. So i will always recommend a well rounded controller over one that is best for a specific style, limiting my options.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Well, the PS3 controller is giving me what I need... for now. I may outgrow it soon and will look into getting either a Logitech or Xbox controller.

I actually went ahead and bought Cloudberry Kingdom instead of those other games I mentioned earlier. It's insane. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it and hope to give the local co-op a whirl with some friends and/or family soon. Since I'm done with school now and have yet to land a job, I anticipate having ample free time to play what I have and try out some new stuff in the very near future.

BTW, Wolfenstein: The New Order comes out Tuesday, which makes tomorrow the last day to pre-order and get a Doom 4 beta key. Anyone else planing on picking this one up?

I have Infamous and MLB 14 The Show for PS4 sitting untouched right now. After leafing through my Valkyrie Master Files books, I was really in the mood to play a Macross game. I didn't feel like digging out my old PSP, so I decided to look at the emulation scene (which wasn't so hot for PSP last time I checked). I was absolutely ticked to find that one emulator, PPSSPP, runs great on both my laptop and my desktop, has a fantastic interface, automatically detects and maps the PSP's buttons to an Xbox 360 controller, and runs Macross Triangle Frontier almost perfectly. The only two issues I've run into are transparent boxes around your VF's exhaust, and nothing but the HUD is visible on the two Battroid Attack levels. The first issue is pretty easy to ignore. The Battroid Attack levels are a little trickier. Fortunately, the HUD tells you if you're in Battroid, Gerwalk, or Fighter mode, as well as the direction and distance from a target. The map shows what direction you're facing in relation to that target. It's not ideal, but you can get through those missions (and even S-rank them) without actually seeing what's going on.

Even better, for me at least, is that it also plays Gundam Battle Universe absolutely perfectly. Between those to games, I've blown probably 90% of my free time for the last week. The Macross Frontier and Gundam Battle games really made the PSP for me, and while it's a shame that they're not available for the Vita on PSN, it's nice to be able to play them with a better controller on a bigger screen.

I haven't tried any of the other Gundam and Macross games on PPSSPP yet, but I doubt there would be any problems. The only other game I've played on the emulator is Mega Man Powered Up, and it runs flawlessly. My opinion remains the same, it's a better experience than playing on an actual PSP, and it's another game I wish was available on PSN for the Vita. Depending on how you feel about the ethics of emulation (I own all the games I've emulated... so far, anyway), I'd say give it a try.

BTW, Wolfenstein: The New Order comes out Tuesday, which makes tomorrow the last day to pre-order and get a Doom 4 beta key. Anyone else planing on picking this one up?

Yes... but not now, and not preordering it. I kind of didn't like Doom 3, so I could care less about the beta. I did like the last Wolfenstein, but I don't know if I liked it $60 worth. Since I have a few games in my backlog, I'll play those first and wait for Wolfenstein to turn up on a Steam sale.

It's kind of weird to think about but Doom 3 will most likely be over a decade old by the time the Doom 4 beta actually goes live. I mostly want to check out the beta because it has been so long since there's been a new doom game.

also, if I get wolfenstein now, it'll give me a full week to beat it before Watch dogs comes out.

Edited by anime52k8

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm looking forward to watchdogs... i hope it's just different from assassins creed and not just a clone of it in terms pacing of missions with some new gimmicks. it'll be the frist next gen title i get for ps4 full price.

(actually picked up need for speed and killzone for 20 bucks ea.)

I heard infamous ps4 is good but shorter than the previous games.

Edited by davidwhangchoi