Classic Star Wars on DVD

Duke Togo

From TheForce.net:

Classic SW DVD Release Info

Tue, Dec 02, 03 01:12:42 AM EST

Ender_Sai works for a major international music retailer and sent us this:

Just following up information to your stories about the Classic Trilogy on DVD; our upcoming releases bulletin lists Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as being released by 20th Century Fox on November 4th, 2004. This information came to us via FOX themselves, so it's 99% reliable.

One other note, prices won't be known for sure until approximately 3 months before release. And as of today they're listed as separate releases; there's no Star Wars trilogy box set listed though it will be released, presumably. I thought it was interesting as Indy isn't available separately.

TheForce.net doesn't usually post crap, so I am guessing there is a possibility that there is some truth to this report. I'll post anything further on this news in this thread, and hope others will do the same, whatever they hear. This is good news, to say the least.

"Classic Trilogy" always refers to the non-Special Editions.

We'll see. Theforce.net recently ran that bogus "Changes to the OT" story that's been circualting for over a year.

Also, I've also seen the term "Classic Trilogy" used as a dig at the PT, usually implying how much better the OT is than the non-classic prequels.

Ya, they blew it on that one, though they did atleast list it as a rumor. Even AICN knew the story was bogus.

The Star Wars movies usually break down into three groups:

"Classic Trilogy"

"Special Editions"

"Prequels"

I am guessing that the guy who reported this to TheForce.net knew enough to refer to them as the "Classic Trilogy", or he wouldn't have contacted them in the first place. Of course, it is VERY possible that the notice they received didn't specify either way. However, you would think that if they were the Special Editions, they would have been listed as so.

Edited by Duke Togo

Ya, they blew it on that one, though they did atleast list it as a rumor. Even AICN knew the story was bogus.

"Classic Trilogy"

"Special Editions"

"Prequels"

I am guessing that the guy who reported this to TheForce.net knew enough to refer to them as the "Classic Trilogy", or he wouldn't have contacted them in the first place. Of course, it is VERY possible that the notice they received didn't specify either way. However, you would think that if they were the Special Editions, they would have been listed as so.

if their idnividual. it;s likly they haev both . my Stargate dvd has both directors cut and theatrical cut. and i bought it for $14

"Classic Trilogy"

"Special Editions"

"Prequels"

Not with Lucas. "Classic Trilogy" refers to the only way the original trilogy is EVER going to be seen again and that's via the Special Edition cut (or future modification thereof). Possible he'll change his mind (as well as do the originally planned third trilogy), but don't hold your breath.

Hey, for the non-Star Wars nuts out here, could you guys stop with all the acronhyms... I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Knights of the Old Republic for PC.

Its a badass game.

Already beat it eh? Been considering picking this game up. So it was that good? You should do a review of the PC edition.

Since 1995 was suppose to have been the last time EVER that the "Original Trilogy" in its original form was to be released in any video format, I'm not holding my breath, but I hope that this is the case. Though I do think a special set having BOTH the original and special editions would be perfect. B))

Since 1995 was suppose to have been the last time EVER that the "Original Trilogy" in its original form was to be released in any video format, I'm not holding my breath, but I hope that this is the case.  Though I do think a special set having BOTH the original and special editions would be perfect. B))

Lets see how many people bitch if they pull a HG and realease them on DVD.

Probably none, since it's name isn't Robotech.

Edited by Ladic

Since 1995 was suppose to have been the last time EVER that the "Original Trilogy" in its original form was to be released in any video format, I'm not holding my breath, but I hope that this is the case.  Though I do think a special set having BOTH the original and special editions would be perfect. B))

Lets see how many people bitch if they pull a HG and realease them on DVD.

Probably none, since it's name isn't Robotech.

I detect a little sarcasm ;)

I think you should put your old avatar back...........opps I typed that out loud

Hey, for the non-Star Wars nuts out here, could you guys stop with all the acronhyms... I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Knights of the Old Republic for PC.

Its a badass game.

Already beat it eh? Been considering picking this game up. So it was that good? You should do a review of the PC edition.

B))

Now what I'm torn between is the original, original OT, and a cleaned up and remastered OT without all the edits and all the additions... and maybe just some of the tweaks. There are a few things they've done in the SE that do work better without compromising the original content, like cleaned up some of the shots and fixed some of the special effects mistakes (landspeeder hovering on an ugly orange blur, and transparent snowspeeder cockpit frame come immediately to mind.) But I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a super-special-classic OT version, if that makes any sense.

What would be neat is to allow the user to pick which edit they want to see or not see, and piece together their own version of the perfect Star Wars movie (say, leave out Jedi Rocks, but add in the new Celebration ending). But that'd be too cool for Lucas.

-Al

Edited by Sundown